Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Didn't notice this thread got made. I'll echo my impression about the game that I posted in the paradox thread.

It's good - very pretty, and I like the focus on drones, but logistics is annoyingly limited. Trying to make a far-off outpost (for concrete, as an example) seems basically impossible because shuttles just kinda seem to work completely randomly. Transport drones are so stupid that they'll just let themselves completely run out of power on a route instead of stopping when they're low to recharge. I was kinda hoping that drone hubs would *expand* the range that drones work in, rather than drones being limited to the space of each hub they're assigned to. The fact that there's little/no interaction between domes is also kinda disappointing. It means you have to build a lot of the same building in each dome which kinda limits specialization (but they also encourage specialization with spires and the ability to limit which colonists with traits go in which dome?) It also makes finding out *why* their stats are dropping kind of a pain in the rear end, since the "planet-wide" average doesn't tell you poo poo. Selecting by the dome gives you a little more information, but having to select individual colonists is extremely tedious - maybe if clicking on the button next to the stat cycled through the colonists in the dome with the lowest of that stat? I liked the radio, but I turned it off pretty quickly because there's not much variety to each station. Randomized research is a neat concept, but by the end of my playtime today I was starting to feel really limited by just the basic dome, and I can't tell if I'm close to unlocking a bigger one. Exploration rovers serve basically no purpose, it'd be nice if they could help scan a sector.

Pylons fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Mar 16, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

One thing I thought I noticed in the preview videos but nobody seemed to try, is that if they built the domes with the doors touching they seemed to highlight? I figured that was how you connected domes together.

You know, I didn't really try that. I figured if "connecting" domes was possible they'd have little tunnels for it. Maybe I'll give that a shot.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Alkydere posted:

Set up Trade Routes using the big RC trade drone. Your first dome should probably be food focused, put a food depot outside the dome. Set up another dome by metals, put a food depot outside of it and set up a trade route delivering food.

I mentioned the big RC trade drone. The problem is it requires a lot of babysitting - it'll quite happily run itself out of power on a route and then AFAICT it's just stuck. Food wasn't really a problem for me because the passenger ships just brought in absolute tons of it.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

metasynthetic posted:

I loaded up a cargo rocket with a bunch of extra drones, and it looks like they're still under command of the rocket. Is there a way to mass reassign their control point or do I have to do it one by one?

Once the rocket takes off again, they'll re-assign themselves to the nearest hub. Other than that, there's no mass reassigning.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

GaussianCopula posted:

The domes working that way creates the central mid-game challenge of balancing out your domes to cater to the needs of their respective inhabitants, while requiring you to manually create a logistics network for products from specialized domes. If they would work the way you described, it would almost entirely remove the space limitation for in-dome buildings, which is what forces you to make choices.

Which would be fine except that there is basically no good way to manage logistics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Groetgaffel posted:

Now, I haven't had the chance to play it myself yet, and I'm still at work, but I have been watching a bunch of streams and gameplay.

I see a lot of complaints about logistics ITT. Have none of you used shuttle hubs?

Shuttles seem to work completely randomly. I have a concrete outpost far off from my infrastructure, and my choices as for how to get the concrete to my stockpile are using transport rovers, which, when I tried, they just ran themselves out of juice without recharging, or shuttles, which don't work at all. Maybe it'll take the excess if I have a full concrete stockpile near the extractor, but just letting the internal storage fill up did nothing, and I don't want to use a mixed stockpile because I don't want 30 of every resource over where I have that outpost. For shuttles to be useful for logistics, there would need to be a way to set a stockpile to "export".

Pylons fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Mar 16, 2018