Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Astus posted:

Haven't had a chance to play this myself yet, but I picked up a very important tip from watching a video of this on youtube:

Make certain that you actually bring some drones on your rocket. Apparently the game doesn't give you a warning if you remove all the drones from your loadout, and worse, the random loadout the game gives you for your rocket has a chance to just not have any drones in the first place. Which is kinda like starting a new fort in Dwarf Fortress but somehow embarking with zero dwarves.

Reminds me of the old Outpost game. You could lose the game during game setup before ever landing on a planet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I picked this game up for free from Humble Bundle, is there a good beginner's guide anywhere? I'm familiar with the Anno series as a frame of reference.

In terms of what I'd like to do, I like the idea of terraforming Mars if that's something the deluxe edition lets me do.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Splicer posted:

The Green Mars expansion lets you do that. Fanatical have 77% off (so $15 bucks) off first colony edition at the moment, which includes it.

Ah, so the deluxe edition giveaway didn't include that.

That's a shame. I'm one of those people who kind of needs a clear objective to be working for in games, and without that Surviving Mars doesn't appeal much to me.

Oh well.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
So, I was given a copy of this game a while back, just the base game, and I finally booted it up. I've completed the tutorial and poked around a little bit in creative mode, but I do like earning achievements.

Is there a handy beginners' guide for things I should be doing/not doing and what I should be looking for?

Edit: For reference, here's what I have so far, restarting in regular game mode.

I don't know if I'm ready start moving in colonists or if there's anything else I need to be aware of right now. I'm International Mars Mission/Inventor, and on a whim picked Inner Light as my mystery, which I know nothing about.

Cythereal fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Jun 4, 2022

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Well that was fast. About three sols after the first colonists landed, the first Martianborn happened. :v: