Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
This game seems like it has a lot of promise, but I have so many concerns that's I'm really questioning whether or not to refund it. In general I'd say I like it, but:

1) As noted already in the thread, logistics is going to get annoying fast.

2) It's really slow going at the start. Even at maximum speed. Hard to say with only a couple of hours in but resource collecting on concrete and travel distance involved makes the pace feel mind numbing.

3) Unless a lot more stuff and interactions unlock as you progress, it really seems like the end game is going to be all about managing personnel on a fairly low level. I'm find with the Tropico system of consolidating people in the blocks/categories that you have to manage but right now the future of this game looks like it's a lot more granular than that. Which is not a good thing for me.

4) My not-actually-OCD is already being triggered by a number of annoyances. I built a bunch (6) of Universal Storage pads near my initial rocket, but the AI is apparently programmed to stock them up in parrallel. So my first concrete block delivery goes to the first pad, the second to the second pad, the third to third, and back around to the seventh back to the first pad. Aside from being crazy in general, it makes cleaning that up and moving resources around an incredible chore because you can't queue commands on your transport drone, and having it pick up "all" materials doesn't always actually work. Also there doesn't seem to be a way to remove power cables after they are built. Might be I'm just missing it or it requires a research option but I build a couple blocks further than I meant to and now I've got this stub of a power line end sticking out and it's driving me nuts. Minor stuff, but how in the world do you have not have the basics like an easy demolition tool and a command queue in game these days?

Edit:
5) Oh yeah, and the drone assignment thing. Got a lot of drones in a command station that only needs like 2, while another command station the next tile over needs 20 and only has 4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
I did find out that the game does have a generic demolish function, but it's buried in the build menu. It's the Salvage button on the far right of the Infrastructure tab, just select it and it acts like a destroy/demolish/whatever button from similar games. Very unintuitive, but at least it is there.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

Alkydere posted:

Hahaha, I just found 5 water deposits in 2 sectors right next to my starting zone.

That's about 60K water...if I can find some nearby metals I'll be very set for a while. If I can't...well I'm playing as Europe this game so funding is not an issue.

I'm relatively sure the pre-defined starting locations are not randomly generated or populated. I played on the exact same map with the exact same resource locations.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

I strongly recommend playing it this way, the game is really at its best when you have to deal with a lot of scarcity. I think honestly it's frankly just an easy game full stop, or at least it's a quite predictable game a lot of the time, your main challenge is dealing with weather events messing up your timing which is mostly an issue at the start and on high difficulties, but it can be really fun while it's in that stage.

I don't think resource scarcity makes the game difficult, it just makes it longer. Maybe there is a balance there between trying to be as quick as possible with as few resources as possible, but so long as you can get an early chain up and running to earn money, you can manage any resource problem.

Disasters seem to be what provides actually difficult, but so much of that is just an RNG gently caress you. One small dust storm early and you can't recover because you'll have eaten through so many resources in maintenance. A single meteor shower can hit nothing or everything, even with well spaced redundancies. It ends up not being difficult, just a random roll of the dice as to whether you'll be able to continue or not.