Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
I am loving this game so far. But I also love Tropico, and I love space stuff, so that fits. Almost had my first colony die when a dust devil came through my entire base, knocking out almost all of my power production and all but 1 drone hub, and that one was pretty far out of my base to keep my water running. Rapidly degraded to where my one dome had no power, water, or oxygen.

I only recovered by powering down everything but that drone hub so that my 2 wind turbines provided enough power, had it create a new drone hub next to my wrecked base, which finally got things working before anyone actually died.

Close calls like that are why I like games like this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
My drones have had no problem maintaining things manually if I have the resources in range. And you can see all your stored resources from the first panel of the colnony info.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

GaussianCopula posted:

Actually solar power is great to power your staffed buildings, which you are not running at night anyway. In contrast to windmills they don't need machine parts for maintenance, which makes them much cheaper in the long term.

I have more machine parts than metal right now in my game! Surface metal has completely dried up in the immediate area, and my metal mining isn't producing enough metal right now to replace it. At the moment I'm taking my RC Rover and RC Transport further and further from my base to have the Rover's drones collect metal deposits that my Transport ferries back.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

boner confessor posted:

:ssh: you can mine with the transport :ssh:

just order it to pick up the unmined surface deposit. no idea if this is a bug or not

I know, it is just very slow to do it on its own. The Rover's drones are much faster. I find a place with 2-3 metal deposits, throw down a metal storage, park my rover, and just have the transport ferry between that storage and the one in my base.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Zephro posted:

So is this a chillaxed city-sim-in-space like SimCity or Cities:Skylines, or is a spin-a-bunch-of-plates-till-they-inevitably-come-crashing-down failure-fest like Dwarf Fortress or Rimworld?

Both are good, I'm just not sure which it is from the coverage. I think the first?

Somewhere in between. It isn't as easy for things to spiral out of control compared to games like DF/Rimeworld/Banished, but it is still a very real possibility.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
The ground in the domes is all slightly magnetic and everyone has some metal in their shoes.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
The time I came closest to losing in this game was a mystery that kept blowing up my water/oxy storage, which wasn't a big deal, but also primarily targeted my farms. Which they would rebuild with a soil quality back at 50%. I was desperately trading/importing food as quickly as I could to feed my 700+ colonists until I finished the mystery and my farms started producing again. I lost somewhere between 100 and 200 people to starvation before things stabilized.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

OAquinas posted:

Yeah, the infirmary build loophole is hilarious for that. Build a micro dome and pack it with infirmaries. (or if you want to be immersive, just leave/create a spot for an extra infirmary in each of your domes--you really should have 4+ domes by Sol 100)

Outsourcing is a must for those big research projects, so make sure you have a few billion in the bank so you can get the top-tier 1k/sol level. Shaves off a lot of time.

Hawking Institutes and Research labs don't incur collaboration losses if you operate both at the same time, so I usually aim for 2x exploration rovers (180 RP), 2x Hawking Institutes (~3400+ RP), and 1-2 research labs (600+ RP). Tack on 1K from outsourcing and you have a respectable 5K you can plow forward with.

Usually when I get HI I build a new dome to be the research/university nexus. Diamond or Oval domes are great for this, but any medium+ dome works. The Nexus Node spire...kinda sucks, really. It's hard to get it staffed right since you need a lot of extra scientists sitting around to get it operational, but if you prioritize it that will draw from your active RP generating labs and actually reduce your daily total. Still, once it's up and running you can sit around 7K/sol RP.

My first games I built all the luxe housing, max comfort, etc. Growth was troublesome and I kept running out of room in the domes.

Now I just build apartment tenements and arcologies. You're on mars, citizen--suck it up. Here's a bar, get drunk after work to dull the pain.

I really wish there was a space effective living space better than apartments. Other than arcologies the other living quarters just house way, way too few people.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
I have 2 open farms, each with 900 food grown on them available for harvest, but my drones no longer harvest from them. Anyone encounter this?

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
Nope, have a ton of open food storage.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Log082 posted:

The tooltip says harvesting is low priority and done only by idle drones, so maybe you don't have enough drone capacity even though it seems like you should? It seemed slow in my game too, though, so it's possible there's some other factor I'm missing.

Also, help, I didn't bother with the radio channels until picking this back up to play the expansion and now Marry Me (You don't like the sea) is stuck in my head.

I built a dedicated drone hub and restricted it's area to the farm and food storage. The drones are literally just idling on the plants they should be harvesting.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

AnEdgelord posted:

Is there an easier way to move resources between my sites rather than long haul trucking it with my RC Transports? Im liking the game so far but micromanaging individual resource piles for each drone hub is kinda tedious. Especially when the transporters dont seem to let me move over exact amounts.

Eventually you will get shuttle hubs that provide shuttles between resource dumps as needed automatically. To a degree chained drone hubs and depots can do some moving of resources around.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Vasudus posted:

Terraforming stuff in general is a pretty cool addition. If you have Chaos Theory on you might get lucky and get the mid-tier one early that grants you a billion dollars one time which makes a bit easier start.

I think temperature is the easiest thing to modify, you can build a handful of GHG factories burning a bit of fuel and not have to worry about cold snaps reasonably quickly. I don't know how burning rocks would generate an atmosphere but sure, whatever. They're pretty expensive to build and maintain though. Lakes are a motherfucker to build sometimes because of the odd shape for the large one that can lead to some wonky pipe pathing.

I've found that the larger lakes also really gently caress with drone pathfinding. They seem to get stuck on them and not accomplish anything.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

GuardianOfAsgaard posted:

Pretty sure you always have to keep filling them. There is a breakthrough which makes them self sufficient though.

My first game with terraforming I got that breakthrough, the event with the super pipes and wires, and then one of my early explorer discoveries was excavator AI. I didn't really need people except to research and my terraforming was quite easy

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Willie Tomg posted:

oh my word its SEEDS. I had a weird hunch and gave it a shot this morning and seeds are why open farms are not good. Or rather, they're EXCELLENT, but: you can't have any seeds laying around outside of storage which... gets tough, if you don't know this is a behavior.

See; harvesting is the lowest priority for the drones automatically. Which means that the next highest task is seed collection from your forests--because why would you take your Forestation Plants offline?--and if there's no empty seed inventory to fill the drones just shrug it off and wait for some to open up before they touch that dirty, filthy human food.

I threw down literally a dozen seed deep storages across the map and now a relatively reliable 2500-3000 food per sol is getting raked in, drones and shuttles leaping into action because they finally don't have to look at seeds anymore.

hahaha thats a Dwarf Fortress level bug if I ever saw one

e; turning off forestation plants doesn't help. Every single one of these trees kicks off a seed on the regular, and there is no way to make them stop or make drones stop threatening famine on the colony if there is but ONE seed uncollected somewhere in the hub's radius.

Every. Single. Tree. They Are Billions has nothing on this terror :smithicide:

Oh well, it's not like I can say it wasn't a good run with that one colony.

I had given up on my save for this after making the capital city for this same problem. Holy crap I may be able to finish now. My farm was well on it's way to famine because I was supplying my colony from open farms that just stopped working.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Piell posted:

You'll probably miss out on a tiny bit of research for the first people/births on Mars, and eventually you'll run out of money/materials to keep your existing stuff running. That said, there's no real reason to wait to find the perfect location, you'll eventually unlock shuttles and be able to put stuff anywhere on the map.

Or you could play chaos theory and get shuttles absurdly early like I did!