Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!
I did not survive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
The Dredges mystery is fairly simple. You can basically ignore it except for investigating an anomaly and them researching two things. It will reduce a bunch of deposits by 1/3-1/2 but other than that it's fairly inconsequential.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!

double nine posted:

Someone on the paradox forums has a dedicated dome for seniors with housing and nothing else, in order to make the seniors earthsick and have them leave. I need to try this asap and so should you.

This wouldn't work for Martian born colonists however.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!

Kibbles n Shits posted:

I love me some trains but what could they really do that shuttles don't?

Also trains probably would not be able to go up and down cliffs, whereas shuttles would be able to service your sites on different vertical levels. You could also make it difficult for them to turn, especially if you go for a maglev theme.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!

metasynthetic posted:

Edit: one of my robots just committed suicide from sanity loss due to working outside. Fortunately, she was an idiot.

:allears:

I have not gotten to play with robots yet, but that is amazing.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
If you bring a couple of probes you can also scan until you run out, then go to the menu and restart the map. Do this a few times until you find a decent area to start in.

From my experience the hint on tiles of what deposits it is likely to have does not differentiate between underground and deep resources, so that tile that says water and has nothing you may rescan to have a deep water deposit later on.

Also I am now fairly sure the indicators when you select the map site do not affect the amount of resource veins, just the quality and quantity of the veins themselves on average.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
Solar is useful early on but has a hidden cost. Your batteries can only discharge up to 20 power each, so for large bases you need a lot of batteries which means not only are you paying the solar panel maintenance, you also have to pay the maintenance for the extra batteries to cover their night-time output.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
Olympus Mons is also dust devil and dust storm city so hope you enjoy those.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I suppose the answer to that is to spread your colony and resources apart and to have redundancy in each area. The meteor showers will always be centred on an area determined when the event starts so if you spread out you'd not lose as much.

But that's not a satisfying answer and they're still far more devastating and dangerous than the other disasters except for maybe dust devils. which as far as I know have no mitigation at all but will ruin less structure normally. I feel like the meteor defence laser is very late on the tree which makes it a difficult investment. There should be a cheaper but less efficient option earlier on to allow you to deal with meteors better.

At the moment you can at least save scum to get them to spawn in different places.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!

OwlFancier posted:

I mean by that point it's about as practical as "have the laser researched and build a load of them" in that it relies on you having a really developed colony.

Really they shouldn't have a concentrated area and there perhaps could do with being a bigger, staffed version of the anti meteor defence from which the one tile automated one is an upgrade. You could give it a lower maintenence footprint and a wider range to keep it useful later on, and once you research the small ones it gets an automation upgrade.

I would definitely agree there needs to be a better, more feasible and more practical early in the game solution for them. Hopefully somebody mods something until such a time the devs do something with it.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
You can't produce meat in the vanilla game so no. There is a mod to add in synthetic meat though but I have not tried it.

I've been playing that Olympus Mons map which is mountainous as church of the new ark and it's been kicking my behind. One rocket only is miserable.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
If the new update is out I might start a new colony once mods update. I had a colony that was up to almost 600 people, but the simulation caused my CPU to get so hot my PC started regularly as I need to fix the cooling on it. It is a shame as I had finally manged to fix the hell dome and was gearing up to actually finally building one of the wonders!

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
Getting the automated service building breakthrough and very early would make that much easier.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I find it relaxing and enjoyable so it is the kind of game I will come back to and poke every once and a while. It does not have nearly as many mods as Stellaris and lacks as much emergent experience (which is fair as Stellaris is 2 years old now). I do like the randomised tech tree mutator though, it makes games feel very different and shifts your priorities.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
Morale also normalises over a longer period than comfort and sanity, which change much more frequently. If your morale gets low it takes a while to stabilise I've found.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I don't like fungal farms because as an out of dome building they'll have a sanity hit unless the worker is Martian born and you have the right tech (which is later in the tree by default). Also their production does not improve with any of the farming techs and it is hard to keep people fed with them as their output doesn't scale well to match your colony growth. Their good points just do not outweigh their drawbacks in my opinion, which is a shame because the base idea is a good trade off.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
That stuff is not part of the simulation because it is not really worth it in the context of the game. Otherwise there would be a ton of health complications from humans living in low-g to begin with, and from the journey from Earth to Mars.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
Church of the New Ark's all religious trait is great for making horrible hell colonies of over population if you don't control it.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
Which mystery did you fail?

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
There are solutions to a lot of the problems with living on Mars, but they generally seem like they require a lot of resources to maintain. Some of them also can be theoretically designed now, but will require technology that we have yet to develop to a sufficient point to actually be able to implement. There is a very good argument that these resources could be better spent on working on making space habitats safe for humans.

I am excited for the DLC regardless of how feasible terraforming Mars is in real life.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
Surviving Mars isn't a game worried about realism. Lots of stuff in it takes cues from real science but it also just makes up as lot of stuff because it is more fun and more accessible.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I've been playing with most of the difficult rules, so max disasters, no new colonists after your initial batch, chaos theory, renegades everywhere, 3x rocket travel time, increasing resource import costs, no food imports from earth...oof it is rough. Cold waves are my mortal enemy because half the time you do not get subsurface heaters for ages. This means your power supply has to be able cope for the whole time. It takes a long time for your colony to ramp up out of the risky initial phase because you only have natural birth rates and it's hard to get the manufacturing base up in time before you run out of credits to cover your missing advanced resources. My only concession to myself has been that I gave myself the prefab colony to set up.

I might play a slightly easier set of rules soon just to actually get to see the new stuff! The Project Laika ranches are great though, as you can get decent food production if you are unlucky with your farm tech placement in the biological path.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
Lesson learned: do NOT use the Doctor background as Church of the New Ark. Too many children...

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
The don't cluster advice only works if you are dealing with a single meteor strike. In a shower it generally covers enough of an area that unless you're establish and have shuttles or a tower to space out and give yourself redundancy you're still going to be obliterated without the defence lasers.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I've done my time in maximum hell disaster difficulties.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I found that on high meteor maps the problem is that they tend to wipe out a lot of your drones which can make recovering difficult.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!

luxury handset posted:

drones can get wiped out... drone prefabs can't, if you're quick

That's a good strategy but it's also an annoying amount of tedium...

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
Silva's stuff is really nice and isn't just a cheat, which some mods end up being. Also it has tech dependencies which make sense for the buildings. The medium O2 and water storages are really nice on their own to be honest.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
After playing with the hell disaster rules I try to minimise my reliance on turbines. They're good but early on the machine parts are too valuable and it's too easy to run into situations where your drilling buildings break and you can't repair them at all. Stirling Generators are my go to because while they're expensive, their cost vs. materials is actually much better than it initially looks. Keeping them closed means no upkeep unless a dust devil runs through your base and you can open them up for emergency boosts in cold waves. For standard maps though it's better to start off with more solar panels than turbines. Just be aware that the metal upkeep for solar panels can trip you up once you have cleaned up all the free surface deposits and before you have got enough mining going to keep up.

Early machine parts factories are good but they're not very efficient without about 2 full shifts of workers and they cost electronics for upkeep which makes running them at a low staff level very expensive.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
Triboelectric scrubbers are great, but not available early game unless you get lucky with chaos tech tree.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!

GotLag posted:

I feel like the vanilla Japanese sponsor is kinda lame. "Drones fly instead of roll" doesn't exactly scream "Japan!" to me.

So I'm making a mod that changes the sponsor. So far:
Wasp drones removed*
Start with Service Bots researched (vending machines!)
Colonists like gardens (they've all got the Hippie trait)
-2 passengers per rocket (capacity 10)
+10 minimum Comfort for birth (reluctance to have kids)

* I've installed another mod that makes them an option unlocked by Martian Aerodynamics

Thoughts?

Edit: I can't figure out how to disable the automated metal extractor but it kinda fits the automation theme I'm going for, and I'm leaving the weight reduction for rovers because they're kei trucks and you'll never convince me otherwise :colbert:

Edit 2: should I also give them Stem Reconstruction for longer life expectancy and find a way to mark it as incompatible with the Doctor commander?

My only real thought is that the issues surrounding the birth rate in Japan is complicated and nuanced, and that the malus you suggest might come across as dismissive or condescending.

Whether this would actually bother a lot of people looking at the mod I can't really say. It was just the one thing that stuck out to me.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!

GotLag posted:

Because, instead of having an up-front criticism like this, it's insincere posturing laundered behind a layer of "well I'm not saying I'm offended".
I chose my wording poorly in my earlier post, I was talking about the mechanical effect of raising the required comfort.
That's not what it was at all. I was actually saying that a bunch of people just might not care because they're happy to see other people onlyas racist caricatures. Apparently you are as well. The criticism was genuine, you just didn't like it.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I don't think they're working on a sequel in the near future as they're making Surviving the Aftermath currently.

The issue for me is that the colony survival aspect is either half of the complexity I wanted or is half of the game I wanted about making a civilisation on Mars. But it's not going to be more and at least what it is in this end form is enjoyable. I just end up playing it once in a while and back again later for a fun zen little colony building game. The radio helps me replay it more than Planetbase though as Survivng Mars has a really pleasant soundtrack.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
Renegades are renegades for the rest of their lives, you can't cure them or reform them in the base game. There are one or two mods that will let you deal with them I think though, although I don't know how up to date they are and how effective they are if they're still around. Renegades also just work with a penalty so even if you have the security station stopping them from stealing from or sabotaging your colony they'll still be an issue. That's why a lot of people murder them by moving them in to a specific dome and shutting off the life support.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
Will there be trains? I want Martian trains!

The new indoors building pack has some convenient looking buildings. I don't know if I would justify putting them in a mini-dlc bundle though as those size different buildings should be a free update, but I think it's cool that Paradox got Silva to work on it for them. Silva has done a lot of fantastic mods for the game.

Also I noticed that they don't have Heimamont listed as working on it, with Abstraction's logo being listed.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
When I started making Mars green I just built lakes to add water to the map for the scenery. I wish I could use landscaping to make some rivers or big lakes later on just so I can build a dome next to a nice view.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
Ranches are really good if you are playing with random techs, because you get another guaranteed food production building from the start that does not have the awful worker efficiency that a hydroponics farm does. They have saved me in quite a few random tech runs.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
The long awaited trains DLC is dropping in just over a week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I'd rather it worked like that as well, but at the worst case it might be a cheaper and earlier way to spread out domes that doesn't need shuttles. It would even still have a niche use if it works in dust storms.