Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

I'm on my very first colony. Made it through the first 10 sols, everybody alive, self-sustaining in food, oxygen, and water. Here's the catch:

The only minable materials are way, way outside the range of my domes. What should I be doing, assuming that research and life support are ticking along normally? Invest in another dome that sits next to the rare minerals? Other?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Alkydere posted:

Trains.

No seriously: Trains. They let your workers commute to distant locations so you can place mines far away. The far deposits look a bit distant but you can likely get the near iron deposit. You could also eventually place a dome near that deposit and people will be commute between them. You may have to use a drone commander/transport to haul the resources out there at first.

8-buck DLC. Worth it to a new player? And anything else I should pick up along the way?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

The trains DLC has horrible reviews, including that it breaks the game?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Thanks, everybody!

If I buy DLC from the Epic Game Store, I can only apply it to a Surviving Mars bought through Epic, correct?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Will colonists walk from dome to dome if they're within each others' radius, or must there be a passage built? I just realized I'd built one dome on the wrong side of another, and it's impossible to run a passage.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

I bought the Mars Express DLC, but I don't see trains on the Build menu. Do I need to start a new run to have access to trains?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Why does this dome have no life support and no power? What isn't connected?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Nukelear v.2 posted:

Hard to say for sure, but it looks like your vaporator isn't connecting with a pipe. It can get a little fiddly if you build pipe and producer at the same time. Also overlapping two things that need pipe connectors can cause issues.
Power wise you might be overdrawing what that circuit can handle. The game doesn't report very well when you have split power grids. There's a power grid view you can use to see.
Aha! I've been wanting that view quite desperately, but didn't find it in the menus. Will look again. I know that's a ridiculously low power supply; it's just the starter motor to get the dome beginning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

For the record, this is my first remote dome, there are two happy and well-supplied domes back where I landed. I'm bootstrapping up the one you see: some power, some water, some air, more power, more storage, lather rinse repeat.