Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hagop
May 14, 2012

First one out of the Ranger gets a prize!
So I have been playing this for a bit and here is my biggest takeaway. Solar power is for suckers. Build windmills, or if your rich import sterlings.

Another tip keep poo poo away from your mines the dust they kick up seems to greatly increase maintenance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hagop
May 14, 2012

Not 100% sure how the tech tree works, but there are techs for finding and mining deep versions of all the basic resources and for building everything you can buy from earth. Assuming you are guaranteed to get these techs at some point in each playthrough, then it should be possible to have a fully self-sustaining colony for as long as most people are likely to play the game.

Hagop fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Mar 16, 2018

Hagop
May 14, 2012

So if your drones don't seem to be keeping up with maintenance, you either need more drones, resources, or drone chargers. You can tell the resource situation from your colony overview tab, drone hubs will tell you the drone load, and just look at the drone hub to see if out have a bunch of drone standing around with yellow blinking lights to see if you need more chargers.

GaussianCopula posted:

Actually solar power is great to power your staffed buildings, which you are not running at night anyway. In contrast to windmills they don't need machine parts for maintenance, which makes them much cheaper in the long term.

Windmills get a bonus based high of location, make more power during dust storms instead of stopping, and have a cheap +33% power upgrade.

Hagop
May 14, 2012

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

So what should be the first building you have your intrepid pioneers work on. A polymer factory? That seems to be my bottle neck more often than not, since I think it’s the first thing that you “need” which isn’t available on the Martian surface... but it always seems a toss up between that or a reliable source of metal. What do they do in the streams with the founders/next 12 colonists?

It depends on what you need/have. I don't use batteries early game anymore, and always have a transporter, so my resources build order is machine parts factory-> rare metals mine-> polymer factory-> metals mine->electronics factory.

Hagop
May 14, 2012

Phi230 posted:

How do you export goods?

Any rocket on mars can be set to load rare metals which will be sold when it gets back to earth.