Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wyld Karde
Mar 18, 2013

She's so ~dreamy~
I've just gotten a few hours play in, so here's my initial impression: It's rather good.

As you'd expect from the makers of the Tropico series there's a lot of focus on economic flow and management. Your little robot drones will happily run around hauling stuff to places and making things as needed, so there's plenty of room to optimise by careful positioning of stockpiles and drone controllers, but if you can't be bothered to think out every little bit you can always just use more drones to make up for long individual travel times.

There's not much in the way of a tutorial. There's no Penultimo here to hold your hand and stroke your ego, just a few popup hints every now and then. If you're not planning to keep tabbing to the wiki or sit in front of some youtube tutorials then be prepared the learn by loving up. I just built and populated my first dome, only to be told that if I want my colonists to work a metal mine the dome needs to be closer to the deposit. Still, the good news is my first breakthrough tech halved the cost of dome construction, so I might be able to get ahead of my concrete supply for once.

The basic gameplay loop feels good, hopefully the mysteries will make the endgame interesting (often a weakpoint of the genre) and given Paradox's usual approach to moddability and DLC this could well be a game that'll be near the top of my play list for some time to come.

Wyld Karde fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Mar 15, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wyld Karde
Mar 18, 2013

She's so ~dreamy~
So I just embarked on my first mystery. It all starts with some unknown crashed space probe. No great shock, there's some kind of bio contaminant and now my colonists are coming down with a mystery illness that makes their blood clot way more than it should. Waait a minute, are we doing The Andromeda Strain here? Is the solution going to turn out to be to turn up the O2 production and tell everybody to start hyperventilating?

Wyld Karde
Mar 18, 2013

She's so ~dreamy~
Just had a hell of a close call during the early days of a new colony. Had a dust storm blow in while both rockets were on the ground, which is a shame as one was about to take off and go get my first wave of colonists. I had enough solar panels up to just about squeak by during the day, and I could survive the night by shutting down my concrete machines, but the maintenance costs on the place were absolute hell. Once the dust finally cleared (after over five sols) I had two polymer left in the stockpile. I basically had to shut down all my batteries except the least damaged one and limp along switching stuff off at night until the first rocket could turn around and bring in some much needed supplies.

At least when the next storm hit I was prepared. Plenty of supplies ready, enough wind farms up that I could just switch off the solar arrays for the duration, and I managed to get a rocket landed, unloaded and launched again the day before it arrived. Now I just need to get dome 2 up and running so I can start exporting metals and get some money coming in.

Wyld Karde
Mar 18, 2013

She's so ~dreamy~
Just scored the sweetest breakthrough tech. AI that lets unstaffed mines work at 50%. They don't even need a dome nearby. Ker-ching! An unstaffed mine running all three shifts with no need for life support mechanisms on hand? That's value for money.

If only the dust storms didn't keep loving up my maintenance budget and cutting off my resupply missions.

Wyld Karde
Mar 18, 2013

She's so ~dreamy~
Now this is the sort of thing the game really needed to tell us. My logistics situation just got a lot easier.

Wyld Karde
Mar 18, 2013

She's so ~dreamy~
Watching the devstream at the moment. Apparently connecting the domes was always intended but they didn't have time to implement it before release, so it's coming in a content patch sometime this spring.

Quick bullet points:

• Technical (bugfix) patches. Apparently the Linux and MacOS versions are particularly bad.

• Improved overview UI. More stats and useful information.

• UI Streamlining. Making everything easier to get to.

• Passages between domes.

• Reduced micro. Making the people smarter about where they choose to live and work, maybe some drone tweaks.

• Additional difficulty options. For those who feel like 535% difficulty wasn't high enough.

• In-game tutorial. Apparently the devs felt the game was self explanatory enough. Feedback since launch has changed their minds.

• Improved modding. Well, it's a Paradox game. Of course they're big on modding.

Wyld Karde
Mar 18, 2013

She's so ~dreamy~

So... that's now a thing, apparently. :wtf:

Wyld Karde
Mar 18, 2013

She's so ~dreamy~

Wyld Karde posted:

So... that's now a thing, apparently. :wtf:

Haemimont's lead designer just gave me Reddit Silver and implied he'd been waiting for this to be discovered. I found an easter egg, folks!

If you want to visit the Mars llamas for yourself, head to 4N, 134E and zoom in on sector D4.

Wyld Karde
Mar 18, 2013

She's so ~dreamy~

boner confessor posted:

lmao that's great, do they do anything

Looks like they just stand there, looking around a bit. Just a cute little something to find.

Wyld Karde
Mar 18, 2013

She's so ~dreamy~
Green Planet DLC Steam store page is up.

Make Mars habitable and build a second home for humanity in Surviving Mars: Green Planet.

Terraforming
Terraform Mars and make the hostile planet habitable for humanity. Each decision you make while managing your colony can affect the Terraforming Parameters, which include the Atmosphere, Temperature, Water, and Vegetation, and ideally brings them closer to habitable levels. Monitor your progress on a planetary scale with the Planetary Overview UI.

Green Mars
Seed the surface of Mars with various lichen, grass, shrubs, or trees and watch as they begin to turn the Red Planet green. Low maintenance plants like Lichen can improve the soil quality to help more complex plants grow while Trees produce high seed yields for your colony to harvest. Be sure to monitor your soil quality levels to keep your plants healthy and growing.

Special Projects
Take on seven challenging Special Projects like melting the polar caps, capturing ice asteroids, launching a space mirror, and more to begin shifting the Terraforming Parameters. Be careful, these projects will have a lasting impact on the planet and can trigger natural disasters!

7 New Wonders of Mars
Construct seven new buildings that can help you terraform the planet or capitalize on the changes. Use the GHG factory to release greenhouse gasses into the atmosphere, the Forestation Plant to boost vegetation production, the Water Pump to fill lake bed, and more.

Climate Calamities
Terraforming a planet can have unexpected consequences. If you release too many greenhouse gasses into the atmosphere you can trigger acid rain which reduces soil quality, or if an asteroid slams into the planet it will cause a Marsquake that can disrupt your colony’s production.

No price or date details as of yet.

Edit: And here's the announcement trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-E0w5xL8uA

Wyld Karde fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Apr 9, 2019

Wyld Karde
Mar 18, 2013

She's so ~dreamy~
Ten minute 'First Look at Green Mars' video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tl71mYFrTug

Some things I noticed:

New Terraforming mission sponsor.

Terraforming techs are a new line on the now vertically orientated tech tree.

Terraforming related remote missons available on the planetary map.

Terrain manipulation is a job handed to drones. Removing hills will generate waste rock.

Drag-select a mass of drones is now available.

'Martian' style disasters like dust storms and cold waves will abate as Mars is terraformed, but issues like flash flooding and marsquakes can happen.

Wyld Karde fucked around with this message at 11:49 on Apr 12, 2019

Wyld Karde
Mar 18, 2013

She's so ~dreamy~

Platonicsolid posted:

CAROUSEL! RENEW! RENEW!

Nice to see some appreciation for the classics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wyld Karde
Mar 18, 2013

She's so ~dreamy~
One step closer to sandworms. I just hope we can keep them away from the mohole.