Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
I quite enjoy playing Surviving Mars and it looks great, but whenever I read any discussion about colony planning I get reminded that many of the various techs, buildings, and sponsor abilities are basically superfluous and I lose interest for a while. Whether it's Fungal Farms, RC Dozers, or Plasma Rockets, there's a lot of stuff in this game that seems cool but really isn't useful. I hope that the game gets some rebalancing in the future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Wafflecopper posted:

I wouldn’t hold my breath, the game has been out a long time now and I’d be very surprised to see a balance patch at this point

Yeah I'm sure you're right on that account. There's been chatter about further development of it, but even then Paradox games rarely spend much dev time on balance patches.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

Seek out a landing zone near water and concrete. Set up basic power and fuel infrastructure based on either solar or wind depending on altitude. Build sensor stations to scan the immediate surroundings, and collect surface minerals. Once you have a good sense of your surroundings, create a rare metal mining / science outpost, relying on imported food. Once it is filled with colonists, build a metal mining / science outpost. The hub of your colony will be between these two sites. Create a manufacturing dome near your central starport, and otherwise chain together standard domes as needed. Supplement your infrastructure with Stirling Generators and Moisture Vaporators. Once you have farms, build agricultural domes near a source of water and connect them to your central colony (via a tunnel if needed). As the population grows, set aside domes for education and retirement.

Dome Guide:

Basic Dome: Agriculture / Science
Barrel Dome: Manufacturing
Trigon Dome: Education / Retirement
Microdome: Geology

Beginner’s Guide:

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/threads/the-complete-surviving-mars-guide.1178125/

Advanced Guide:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1734068161

Kaal
May 22, 2002

I think basically what people want is the sense of connecting the settlements into an overall colony. Often the domes end up feeling very disparate, like a bunch of little homesteads. Connecting all the power and water networks generally ends up being more trouble than it's worth. I want to make Mars look like it does in the Expanse. Help me do that Paradox.

https://www.humanmars.net/2019/12/martian-colonies-in-season-4-of-expanse.html?m=1

Kaal
May 22, 2002

It looks neat, thanks for the recommendation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaal
May 22, 2002

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Thanks, everybody!

If I buy DLC from the Epic Game Store, I can only apply it to a Surviving Mars bought through Epic, correct?

Correct. You can also check out isthereanydeal for discounts on other platforms. There will also be the Steam Summer Sale in a month that will likely bring down prices across the board.

https://isthereanydeal.com/search/?q=Surviving+mars