Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nukelear v.2
Jun 25, 2004
My optional title text
Does anyone know if the Fusion Autoregulator tech is bugged or do building upgrade techs only apply on new buildings made after the research is complete?
My fusion generators required 8 people per shift before and after the research. Fusion reactors ain't cheap so it'd be nice to know if that's the case and if I should be rebuilding huge swaths of my old infrastructure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nukelear v.2
Jun 25, 2004
My optional title text

Krogort posted:

You may need to upgrade the reactor with an icon on the top right corner of the screen

Ah, that was the other thing I was thinking but damned if I could find anything that looked like 'upgrade building' in the UI. Thank you both!

Am I crazy for doing fusion? Everyone seems to be in love with windmills in this thread but I can't imagine trying to produce the hundreds of energy I need with just solar/wind. I teched up to fusion asap and shut everything else down.

Nukelear v.2
Jun 25, 2004
My optional title text

Zteuer posted:

I just realized there are three slots in the farms, not one for each shift as I first thought, but for a crop rotation system. Turns out farms are smarter than me!

Speaking of, has anyone figured out the optimal crop rotation for end game?
Turns out my ponzi scheme of feeding my colonist the food from new passenger rockets is starting to fall apart and I really need more than a single hydroponic farm per dome.

Nukelear v.2
Jun 25, 2004
My optional title text
I'm not clear on the order in which I need to terraform. The game started me with a forest planter, but I can't imagine that will work until I have water, soil, air, etc. Will the game let me do them in any order or is there a prescribed order in which I should tackle the aspects of terraforming.

Nukelear v.2
Jun 25, 2004
My optional title text

Alkydere posted:

I'm just happy there's Retirement homes now. Make kid/senior homes with just a few untrained workers manning the shops.

Haven't paid for the new DLC yet, what do the retirement homes do, are they just denser/higher comfort than apartments?
Is there anything in the DLC that's changes up the game play? School spires would make my kindergarden domes nicer, but otherwise I'm not seeing much new gameplay in it.

I am super psyched for a new expansion though and this shows this game and it's genre style may have a future. Firing up a new game now to try the tourism changes, of all the games I've played I've never focused on tourism before, so that's exciting.

Nukelear v.2
Jun 25, 2004
My optional title text

Talkie Toaster posted:

Do we know if there’s any achievements or mysteries coming in this patch? I want to replay it with the new content, but need an actual goal I haven’t already done.

Doesn't look like it. The only new 'goal' I can see would be build a colony powered by Tourism instead of just strip mining mars of rare earths.

Nukelear v.2
Jun 25, 2004
My optional title text

toasterwarrior posted:

Just gotta vent here in the proper thread but gently caress the Project Six mystery, having no actual way to stop suicide drones from insta-wrecking your external buildings ad nauseum while your idiot loving space cops can't deal with the ones wrecking your 100% soil quality farms across 10 loving quest anomalies sucks rear end.

Anyway man it's so satisfying watching the map go green. Even if I'm playing ez mode Brazil, I enjoy the chillness of it all. Couple of things I noticed in this latest replay:

1. Lakes seem to be unnecessary for the most part unless you want to boost an area to 100% soil quality quickly for external farms. I ended up making a lot of lakes for very little gain, whoops. They look rather nice though.

2. As it turns out, a lot of behavioral glitches for university students I'm experiencing might be because building universities in a children/school dome is actually a mistake? At least, I'm seeing no-spec citizens path much better when the university is in the same dome as their residence.

4. That "service slice" thing is legit; a Grocer, Diner, and Infirmary are pretty much all you need for a long while. Add a big park.

I feel compelled to reroll again now that I've relearned the game. Just need to track down that mod that apparently points out the specific point on a building that causes inefficiency when overlapping with other buildings of its ilk, ie. moisture evaporators or whatever you call them.

1. You need lakes to raise the water level of wars, each lake contributes a small amount to it each sol. You don't need to go crazy, but you need a decent number of them. I tend to just slap a water pump and several huge lakes off in a corner of the map I'm not using.

2. Correct, you need a kid dome with schools/playground and nurseries THEN you also need a college dome that they move to, college is for people that have entered the workforce. My college domes allow only non-specialized workers that are the young adult and adult ages, can't waste the college slot and time on middle aged. Luckily they can work their own service buildings at that point, so the college dome can be largely stand alone.

4. The standard slice also leaves one hex open, I make sure it's on the edge so I can use it for connectors to other domes. If I don't need it becomes a small park.

Re-rolling is the best part of this game. Unlike most city builders, every game of surviving mars is incredibly different

Nukelear v.2
Jun 25, 2004
My optional title text

quote:

Branching Paths
The Recon and Expansion research trees unlock additional buildings, vehicles, upgrades, and locales. They will also unlock asteroid mining and tunnel colonization.

Two entire tech trees is pretty substantial given all of terraforming was just one.

Hope we get some alien ruins below the surface.

Nukelear v.2
Jun 25, 2004
My optional title text

Splicer posted:

Yup, even if the only practical use ends up being one way tickets to the senescence dome I will absolutely consider it $7 well spent.

Nice, now I have a third name for my old folks home, usually it's Logan's Run or Death Star.

Since I usually always play Chaos Theory, when Jets come up way late in the tech tree it is very very painful, that will make trains worth it for me.

Nukelear v.2
Jun 25, 2004
My optional title text
My trains experience is pretty limited, but it seems like you really need the fast train research to really use them. Sending trains into the next map sector took so long that people really did not want to work the mines. Once the transit time dropped to an hour it seemed to work much better.

Really wish the train station could also act as a mini-drone hub to work the mines.

Nukelear v.2
Jun 25, 2004
My optional title text

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I'm on my very first colony. Made it through the first 10 sols, everybody alive, self-sustaining in food, oxygen, and water. Here's the catch:

The only minable materials are way, way outside the range of my domes. What should I be doing, assuming that research and life support are ticking along normally? Invest in another dome that sits next to the rare minerals? Other?

Congrats on your first colony! Some random thoughts on that start.

Metal:
- There is a ton of plain metal on the surface of mars, your transporter can bring that back to base and keep you going for a very long time. Build a dome in range of the deposit but don't waste your early colonist mining it unless you got really unlucky with the surface metal rng.

Water:
- The biggest problem you are going to have with that start is lack of groundwater. Pulling water from air takes a lot of power and space and if this map has dust storms, it's going to hurt.
- You can build multiple extractors from 1 water deposit so a single deposit can run your base for quite awhile.
- You need farms and polymers right away and those suck up tons of water. Imo that makes securing water job 1.

Rare Metal:
- Critical for mid-game, you need it to make electronics and revenue so you can keep research outsourcing up as much as possible. Early game, it's not so critical but nice to have.
- Expand your colony to this deposit and enjoy those vista's as well to help boom your population. You can use your transport and mobile drone command to build a new drone hub/universal depot to establish a foothold, then call in the rockets.

Be sure to build a trade launch pad, this will let you rather easily exchange concrete/metal surplus for things you are lacking like maybe food with other colonies. This is usually preferable to buying from earth.
From your current start I'd pop a few domes up, connect with passages and use that metal to start churning out machine parts and excess food to support your expansion base to the west. Eventually you can link the bases with tunnels.

Nukelear v.2
Jun 25, 2004
My optional title text

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Why does this dome have no life support and no power? What isn't connected?

Hard to say for sure, but it looks like your vaporator isn't connecting with a pipe. It can get a little fiddly if you build pipe and producer at the same time. Also overlapping two things that need pipe connectors can cause issues.
Power wise you might be overdrawing what that circuit can handle. The game doesn't report very well when you have split power grids. There's a power grid view you can use to see.

Nukelear v.2 fucked around with this message at 21:51 on May 24, 2022

Nukelear v.2
Jun 25, 2004
My optional title text

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Aha! I've been wanting that view quite desperately, but didn't find it in the menus. Will look again. I know that's a ridiculously low power supply; it's just the starter motor to get the dome beginning.

Go into the Command Center (Z key) and click Power Grids, it will show all the vital stats for each grid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nukelear v.2
Jun 25, 2004
My optional title text

alex314 posted:

Renegades - how do I get rid of them. I'd rather not put the police building in every dome. Can I get them brainwashed in the therapy spire? They don't seem to obey orders.

You can't unfortunately, generally you can ignore them. If you have so many that you need to take action...

Dome filters work on the Renegade trait. Set it so they are only allowed in one particular dome, give them a few sols to filter into it.
Then you can just police that one dome or go Total Recall on them and turn their air off.