Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
Just picked this up and I'm building babby's first Mars colony with the International Mars Mission which seems like the extreme easymode start. What's the typical base layout? One big dome surrounded by littles, or more of a hodgepodge? I'm unclear on how far colonists will walk inside domes to get to jobs and services. Is it just their own dome plus any that are directly connected to that dome, or can I set up a chain of connections to have people walking two or more domes away to get to a service? Also, is fusion power worth it without the upgrade to reduce the worker requirements? It kinda seems like it's not, but that might just be because I have an engineer shortage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

BitterAvatar posted:

Has anyone ever had any issue with drones seemingly bugged out and refusing to repair? I have 20 solar panels all broken, sitting next to piles of metal, and my drones are flat out ignoring them to go pick up waste rock.

I had this happen. It was during the Long Winter event and I chose to take the free maintenance at the start of the event, after that none of my power producers were ever maintained again. After I realized what was happening I rebuilt them all and the newly built ones were maintained normally after that.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
The problem with the whole "only build living complexes, apartments are a trap" idea is that it only makes sense in the absence of disasters. If you're not getting disasters or just piddly little 1 or 2 level ones then it works just fine, but if you're on a level 5 dust storm and/or cold snap map the absolute last thing you want is to introduce more points of failure to your design. That means as few domes as possible, because more domes means more leaks and more need for redundant life support which is itself prone to leaks and failures. It's a lot simpler to just cram people into apartments and it doesn't hurt their comfort all that much. The extra power consumption is a lot easier to handle than the life support.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Mayveena posted:

I have enough fuel. The game tells me I’ll lose the metals if I launch. I want $ for my metals, how do I do that?

If it's saying that cargo will be lost when you click the launch button, it means something other than rare metals and fuel is loaded onto the rocket. Usually it's leftovers from a previous supply mission that haven't been offloaded yet. Check and see what's loaded, build an appropriate depot and offload whatever cargo is waiting, then it should be able to launch normally and will give you the funding for the rare metals once it reaches earth.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
Rocket Scientist also has the hidden advantage of letting you cancel out the rocket landing malfunction dilemma that otherwise requires you to lose your cargo or (probably) lose your rocket and cargo too if you chance it. I've restarted a few times because of getting that dilemma on my first resupply.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Flipswitch posted:

Yeah I tried this but they didn't seem to fill very quickly. I'm already sort of daisy chaining food to them, I've finished that file though and am moving onto my next one. I just finished playing Brazil and I'm not sure who to try next!

Depots only provide a buffer when the minimum stock is set. If you have it set to hold a buffer and have food sitting around in other depots but you still get shortages then it's just a logistics issue and you need more shuttles to handle the deliveries.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Mechanical Ape posted:

So, the other day Paradox announced Surviving the Aftermath, which is a continuation of the Surviving franchise without being a sequel to SM.

More details later in October and a release set for late 2020.

Not much info as of this writing except a teaser. The teaser seems to show both missiles and meteors, which makes me wonder if we can pick from a variety of apocalypses to rebuild from.

That seems like a natural way to work in some variety, choose a disaster type instead of a sponsor. I'm pretty excited for this. Wonder if we'll be able to trade with a successful Mars colony instead of Earth, or the moon or something. More likely it'll be trade with other Earth enclaves though.

It's supposed to hit early access on the Epic store but apparently the retail release won't be exclusive, which strikes me as a good compromise.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

I'm a little confused, because I don't seem to have any of the issues with sustainability and start up that other people do. I'm not playing easy sponsors or super easy locations either. Like, 1 hydro farm is plenty for the founders, I build 2 each of co2 and h2o tanks, etc

You can get by with very little but if you're playing on a hell mars with one or more of the maxed out disasters then having endless redundancy and backups is a very good idea. Everything is fine until it's not, and it can get extremely not fine in a hurry with some disaster combos

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
Did you build a drone hub? Drones need to be controlled by something or they'll just sit and be useless. If you didn't build a hub and their batteries are all dead then you'll have to revert to a previous save. The drone hub should be one of the first things you place.

Isn't there a tutorial? I recommend starting with that to get the basics explained to you.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
Oh, that'll do it. Every building needs something specific for maintenance, solar panels take metal for instance but wind turbines need machine parts. Others need polymers or electronics. Always make sure you have a little of everything available.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
Well, this was unexpected:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ioVvRJAlyw

No info yet but new content is coming for Surviving Mars this year. I'm especially glad for this because I tried out Surviving the Aftermath and was kind of underwhelmed, the art style doesn't do it for me and the hero based overworld gameplay just felt tedious and tacked on. I couldn't find a thread for it so I'm assuming I'm not alone in that feeling.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
Well, it's kind of impractical for shuttles to be flying underground, so we actually have a valid use case for a train now! Fingers crossed. I'm so glad this game has been revived after the disappointment of Surviving the Aftermath. I really hope there is some interaction between this new content and the green planet stuff.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Aethernet posted:

I have bad news for you about how Paradox DLCs normally function.

That being said, this looks brilliant - especially if it reworks the early game so sub surface colonies are your first move, as that is far more plausible than jumping straight to domes.

Yeah I know interconnected DLCs are not really a Paradox thing, but I can dream...

hobbesmaster posted:

I thought the domes were on asteroids for a moment but underground makes more sense. Still, new maps to expand on it is cool. It might provide more of an "end game"

First screenshot definitely looks like underground because there's what appears to be a cave in happening onto the dome in the foreground.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Aethernet posted:

Ooooh, question: are there train signals, so I can play this as OpenTTD Mars? Or is strictly one train per track?

Trains are back and forth from one station to another station only, no through traffic. You can have multiple trains running on the same line, though.

Demiurge4 posted:

Question: Do the trains connect through elevators into the underground?

I don't have below and beyond but there's no way to connect tracks across any kind of height difference, or across maps. You'd just have to deliver to the elevator with one train and pick up underground with another.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Alkydere posted:

The way trains handles goods is not all that great and fiddly. Honestly it's great for people transport between domes or domes and distant work locations (usually mines). In fact it's so good for reaching those locations that it does a lot to change the meta of the game.

You do have to fiddle a lot with the inventory screen though to make sure the distant locales will export all produced goods back and only keep on hand the resources to repair/rebuild your mines.

Yes, in the case of a metal mine for example what I do is to set the dome side to send machine parts and whatever else is needed and the mine side to balance machine parts. If you leave both sides to balance nothing gets sent. Then set the mine side to send metals and waste rock.

I think that the station interface and mechanics were originally designed with an actual train network in mind, and then that had to be cut. So now we have stuff designed for complex systems and network logic that's just being used for point to point transportation, which doesn't need all this extra complexity and suffers for it. It's still worth it to be able to mine remote deposits without building a whole dome and running life support all the way out to it.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

euphronius posted:

Will colonists travel more than 2 tubes for work or needs ?

No, only one. Passages only connect a single dome to a neighbor, they do not form a network.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Arsenic Lupin posted:

The trains DLC has horrible reviews, including that it breaks the game?

It's fine. People got mad because of a few bugs on launch which were quickly fixed. I did a playthrough of a couple hundred sols worth of gameplay a little while after the dlc launched and everything worked fine. Trains make the game feel much more complete and have a great niche. The terraforming dlc is also very good.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

alex314 posted:

It would help if automated transports would just "top up" stockpiles for the desired amounts.

Shuttles will do this. As long as you have the materials stored somewhere and not just laying on the ground shuttles will automatically move resources around to keep every depot at whatever number you set.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
Comfort isn't something you really need to concern yourself with for the first 2-3 domes. Your only goal is to establish sufficient resource production to survive at that point. Just try to provide as much as you can cover in the space left over once your food and advanced resource production needs are met. If people get earthsick, oh well. See ya. As long as they aren't dying you should have plenty of replacements queued up. I usually filter out anyone with the gaming trait early on because it's too much of a pain in the rear end to meet that need.