Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fuzzysocksucker
Aug 20, 2005
Trains are everything I hoped they would be.

I have a medium dome working 9 mines. :stare:

DLC worth it imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzzysocksucker
Aug 20, 2005

FISHMANPET posted:

I was also shocked at how expensive the rails were, so they're probably not a "founders stage" thing like I thought they might be - that initial monorail line I built cost over 100 concrete, plus all the metal, electronics, and machine parts to build the stations and trains. Looks like it might be much more beneficial in the late game like Fuzzysocksucker demonstrated, or maybe as a way to spread to a second dome area before you've got shuttles, but oof you've better have a lot of concrete.

I built a short line fairly early to exploit a close by rare metal deposit, but we're talking 'inside drone hub, outside of dome range' close. Definitely not a founder stage thing, but doable early enough to get electronics production started if your rare metals are in a inconvenient spot. But they're really super game changing good in the mid game/late game to actually use all the deposits on the map. That medium mining dome+trains was way cheaper on materials (except maybe concrete) and manpower than the six small domes it would have taken to cover all the deposits. Previously I would have bee lined the mohole rather than even try. I'm now thinking of trying one mega dome to mine the entire south side of my map.

FISHMANPET posted:

As an aside, I just this morning realized that when you place passages between domes, you can click to route a path (just like with tracks) rather than having to carefully build domes so the passage automatically goes where you want it.

Wait WHAT? :stare: I've played this for years and how did I not know this. :cripes: