Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
I loaded up a cargo rocket with a bunch of extra drones, and it looks like they're still under command of the rocket. Is there a way to mass reassign their control point or do I have to do it one by one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
My first breakthrough tech (no mysteries involved, haven't seen anything 'weird' yet), after being on Mars for like, 2 weeks: Old people who die reincarnate into babies :stare:

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm

Ciaphas posted:

When you say this is a colony manager/city builders, do you mean something like the Anno series? I haven't played one of those in five years, and a Sim City type game in even longer.

Yeah, it reminds me a little of the Anno series, but the production chains are much simpler and you're not constantly playing building tetris.

Also, the Martian radio announcer has an accent that sounds like a mix of Indian and German and it's messing with my head.

metasynthetic fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Mar 16, 2018

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm

Alkydere posted:

Fiddle with the rockets' priority. If you set one to a higher priority than another, then you don't have to worry about them fueling in parallel.

Do this, also you can toggle the allow / forbid exports button on the rocket and it will prevent them from loading metals at all. One of my rockets has been parked awhile with prefab parts I'm not ready to unload yet, and despite being the only rocket on the surface for some of that time it's still empty of metals. Still couldn't stop them from refueling it, though.

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
Yeah I noticed with my rockets that the drones seemed to prioritize based on distance all else equal, not sure why the other 2 tricks aren't working for you.

Another spoiler regarding a breakthrough - maybe these don't really need spoilers but for now I'm enjoying the surprises: I got one that lets you place infinite power cables that require no maintenance, at any distance, for free, instantly without needing drones. So I built a long rear end power net to various parts of the map to let my rovers recharge at will. That, plus having a shuttle bay makes long distance surface mining (if you place a local depot for your mining rover to drop off at) more practical.

metasynthetic fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Mar 16, 2018

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm

Gamerofthegame posted:

Game's cute. It's hella Tropico tho, to the point I'd say take Tropico and nix the banana republic charm and add sci-fi trappings instead and presto, surviving mars.

It isn't bad. I'd recommend waiting for a sale, though.

If nothing else the pacing on the game is very strange. It's slooow, to the point I'm honestly not sure how that got through QA.

I gotta agree on the pacing, I'm enjoying myself but I took the day off for this and after about 8 hours of play I have 1 small and 1 medium dome and am just now considering a third. I got my first hints of The Mystery 30 minutes ago.

This game feels like 50% a more complex Banished, 20% a simpler Anno, 30% population management of Tropico.

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
Welp I finished my first mystery.

Marsgate: A mysterious rocket gets sent from Earth to Mars, but no one Earthside would tell us what it was. Turns out, it's prototype military rovers. The corporation which eventually fesses up to owning them uses a carrot and stick approach to encourage me to help with their repairs / not tattle on them for breaking space treaties. I got sneaky about things and told them I would cooperate, but then just blew them up instead, but the game didn't seem to understand that - it just treated me as a cowardly collaborator. 11 of my colonists (out of 100ish) were upset at this and turned renegade, but I increased my security force and they never made trouble. In the end, they sent a whole bunch more rovers in attack mode to try to silence me before the trial, but my scientists developed defense turrets, which are like the laser defense system and can also shoot down meteors, but they fire long distance missiles which could attack the rovers. After doing this, I could send out drones to repair them, now I have my own personal rover defense force along with missile turrets. After all that was said and done, I was given the option to disarm in the name of peace, or to keep them in case of future incursions. gently caress Terra, time to cut all ties, let's see you assholes dare to land here again without my permission.

Oh, and it also outright gave me the tech to build the Geoscape Dome wonder, which is a megadome that also automatically improves Sanity and increases comfort.

Soon as I build that thing to see it in person I'm going to restart on a harder difficulty, I think, now that I have a feel for the game. I'm enjoying it, it's not flawless by any means but if you're a serious fan of the genre and can stand a little jank it's worth the money. If you're on the fence, maybe wait for a sale or for a few rounds of patching.

metasynthetic fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Mar 17, 2018

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm

OwlFancier posted:

Superconductive computing is a pretty great breakthrough.

Yeah, especially if you combine it with the breakthrough that makes fusion power plants run at max performance all the time without needing workers. :science:

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
Yeah, the game calls them Stirlings when what it actually means is RTGs. Same deal with the Moisture Evaporators.

Does your mission sponsor or commander type influence what your buildings look like? My first game I was USA / Inventor (inventor is *too* good), this time I'm India / Doctor. First game, my domes were just sorta featureless bubbles, now they're a cyan blue with external ribbing.

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
The highest priority criteria for my founders in my new playthrough was whether or not they were 'sexy.' One was also a celebrity.

I have dubbed my first dome Bollywood, in their honor. Babies got made real, real quick.

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
Rocket costs are weird. For example, buying a drone hub costs 150m, weighs 5000t, and includes 4 drones (6 with the upgrade.) Meanwhile, drones themselves are 30m / 1000t each, and buying just the electronics to make a hub yourself is 160m and 1600t. My first game I didn't even bother to research the tech. Every single hub and drone I ever had was from Earth.

Are there any other weirdly efficient things to import like that?

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
Current game, my mystery is Wildfire: my evaluation benchmark was 'have 200 people by sol 100', and being India / Doctor, combined with having 1 game's experience, meant I was packing my people in hard before the mystery was revealed. Inopportune dust storms combined with inadequate reserves caused power failures, which cascaded into supply chain and crop failures. My population plummeted from disease... and suicide. This was with me having the Good Vibrations breakthrough which helps sanity.

Going from multiple factories running 24/7, to consolidating shifts, to shutting down consumer services, and finally having only bare essentials running to keep up maintenance was chilling.

Secondly, in comparison to Marsgate: why the gently caress does the game rate Wildfire as 'easy' vs Marsgate as 'hard'? Marsgate was no big deal, Wildfire completely hosed my population, my science, now my farm production, and I just found out that the 60 curetatos I sent off was only the FIRST shipment I need to save the Earth. Does it scale with the difficulty of the landing site or something?

Edit: Also, I am starting to think the game is way, way more boring on the easier difficulty ratings. Spoiler-free, I'm on a 200% difficulty site and I'm, uh, on the edge of my seat on sol 100+ which is certainly something.

Edit 2: VVV oh okay my mistake, mis-remembered the 'pick your mystery' screen I guess.

metasynthetic fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Mar 18, 2018

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
So I guess there's no achievement for beating Wildfire? I kept supplying the shuttles until I got a popup saying the earth was cured, it gave me a free wonder tech, told me I could keep shipping curetatos back for extra money for some reason.

It's sad, I actually felt like I, uh, achieved something with this crisis.

The game is slow for sure, but 200%+ difficulty seems to be where it starts involving making challenging decisions.

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
I've yet do do the money-for-science thing except when it's a favorable exchange rate to plow it back into outsourcing. Which can be pretty great for a slingshot early in the game if you have it as a choice.

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm

Split Pea Superman posted:

How far have you gotten into the game? I'm hoping that I can do better next time around since I've learned so much on this one, but I've had so many problems keeping up with first electronics, now metals and concrete. Food seems impossible to keep up with.

I've got 6 medium domes, 4 basics right now. Most of my 6 rockets are constantly in transit for more food, electronics, metals, and machine parts. I was at 800 something population before a hundred or so colonists got some idea's from those antarctic penguins. Just short of 500 now that a meteor shower popped up and took out the only conduit/pipe line connecting two of my mediums to the rest of the colony. On another colony it hit right at the life support connection where I have all the back-up power and oxygen, while also taking out the drone hub which slowed down fixing up the other connection. No one survived in the one that got nailed right in the reserves and connections.

Beaten 2 mysteries so far, and had one false start where I got to day 30 before realizing I'd bitten off more than I could chew from a combo of too-difficult landing site, and a poorly chosen initial loadout.

The most I've expanded so far is 4 domes in total, since that seems to be about the sweet spot before you beat the 2 mysteries I've come across so far.

How are you building out your domes? From what I can tell, 1 farm per medium is plenty, and that's just with mid-tier crops. I can certainly imagine how'd you'd have issues with the others given that huge of a population.

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
So, base design ideas.

This may seem obvious, but I've been using this topology for my electric grid, "power flowers":

It minimizes materials and wasted space spent on power cables. You can do the same thing with windmills. (The orientation is purely to satisfy my own OCD.) Haven't yet bothered figuring out the optimal pattern for interlinking flower cells.

I've taken to designating 'roads' in my base which are 2 hex wide paths with no obstructions. You have to be careful about your life support pipe links to avoid obstructions to this - I try to keep the first 'pipe bridge' around my domes as clear as possible to help with this.

Also, I've been organizing my fuel refineries, polymer factories, and landing zone as a unit:

Fuel refineries are towards an area with room for at least 3 rockets, and 2 polymer factories nearby. Provide enough clearance for pathing. This is probably going to be adjacent to the first dome founded. Also probably a good idea to put your shuttle hub nearby, for ease of refueling.

metasynthetic fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Mar 19, 2018

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm

OwlFancier posted:

It's the interlinking that's going to be a problem, you need all those panels to be connected to the same grid which means running a lot of cables around the outside of the hex.

So I find it generally easier to just use 2 panel wide rows and putting cables between them all. Later you can remove a panel from each block and put tribo scrubers in at intervals to make it free maintenence.

A lot of cables... what? The opposite is true. The picture is connected to the grid as shown.

I'm sure running arterial cables + 'leaf' nodes is simpler, simplicity isn't the point of this design though.

Haven't yet used tribo thingers yet to know how they impact. I would expect them to favor compact designs if anything.

Pirate Radar posted:

Oh since you've been checking it out, I was wondering: how much food does a colonist consume each day? What's an optimal farm setup look like? I've been rotating soybeans-potatoes-wheat but I started to run into food problems when I scaled up and I don't know why.

You don't actually have to fill out all 3 rotations. You can just alternate soybeans / potatoes if you want - not sure if putting wheat in the middle confers some sort of benefit.

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
Power flows through every kind of building. Life support too assuming the building has a hookup tile. Pipe > hookup tile > building > hookup tile > pipe with no other interconnects works fine.

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
Edit: it's worked for me from the first time I tried it, which may have been after that patch, yeah.

My current game as Paradox / Futurist, very first breakthrough tech is the one that converts power to research. :getin:

metasynthetic fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Mar 19, 2018

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
Mine started about sol 90 or so.

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm

Heffer posted:

If power flows through connected power buildings, why does it need a cable at all?

Misspoke - power will flow through buildings to wires. Every building still needs to be connected to an energized wire to be on the grid, building-building connections do not work.

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
Oh my god. I just realized how to turn on 'heavy workload' shifts. (It's the clock icon on the right side of the work shift UI.)

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
Wow, no poo poo. No more storing the hydrazine next to the applesauce.

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
Soylent green, problem solved. Who's got a hankerin for some baby carrots?!

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
My first meteor shower targeting my base has begun. I've done what I can to spread around critical systems, but the north side includes the rocket landing zone as well as fuel refineries / depots. I've lost 2 full fuel stockpiles, and it's probably just a matter of time before the refineries (which I still have to import) take a direct hit. My only rocket was on the pad with some food still in it but otherwise ready to launch, which I decided might be prudent. Turns out it was, as seconds after it took off a meteor landed a direct hit on the site.

I'm 5 hours in and have almost 2 days to go aaaa

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
this is fine

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm

Griz posted:

"All extractors continue to extract small amounts when their deposit is depleted"

I got that as my second breakthrough so I haven't actually depleted anything yet except concrete, and those get immediately removed to make room for more waste rock piles.

Metal keeps producing at about 15 - 20% original rate. Kinda sucks IMO, given that it takes one of your breakthrough rolls and you have to actually spend time researching it. Got it + extractor AI in my current game and if I didn't have extractor AI to combo it, I wouldn't bother. Even then I still decided to start researching moholes anyhow. Not sure about concrete, now that I look at it it my concrete extractor is giving me 10.7 / day (no bonuses or upgrades IIRC) when I think the default rate is 20? If so this may be more oriented towards concrete than metal.

Kibbles n Shits posted:

What's a good first dome setup? I usually do something like 3x living quarters, 1x farm, 1x machine parts factory, 1x grocery, 1x infirmary, a polymer factory, and a park of some kind. 42 colonists isn't enough to work all of the buildings 24/7 but it covers a lot of bases and keeps your infrastructure up and running. It doesn't meet the colonists social needs though so I lose them periodically.

Mine's been pretty similar, though for me it's been 1 machine factory, 1 diner, 1 infirmary, 1 farm, 1 art store, and the rest filled with a mix of parks and 2x apartments, or just living quarters depending on my tech rolls. So far I've decided not to start a dome for real until I'm ready for at least small scale polymer production, hence the art store.

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm

Pirate Radar posted:

Oh, the last part of Marsgate triggered I guess. How am I supposed to know how many rocket launchers is a good number? What their actual range is? Etc, etc. Anyway unless they just go away in the end RIP my rear end, I can’t afford a new drone rover and there are no more of theirs left in range for me to steal.

Marsgate tips: Their range is pretty drat far, but so is the enemy rovers'. It's about 2 - 2.5x the radius indicated in the UI. My recommendation is to put up 3x turrets in a cluster at the edges of your base where the drones are likely to approach from, and otherwise just give a light blanket that covers everything critical. When they attack they will take out some of your turrets but none of them got past a triple cluster (this is assuming you're repairing losses) in my sole experience with it.

metasynthetic fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Mar 20, 2018

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
Yeah they're basically old school Daleks, defeated by a steep incline. You might be able to snipe if you approach with your rover from the right position and don't get yours killed.

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm

Ersatz posted:

So, my current game gave me both the cloning and soylent green breakthroughs, which sounds like a recipe for a delicious dystopia.

The trouble is that there's zero need for the clones from a practical standpoint (see discussion above re overpopulation). Feels like a missed opportunity.

Also, I'm on sol 95 and still no mystery. WTF.

I'm pretty sure the theory from earlier about the game timing the mystery based on your colony's progress is true. My current game was harder and it took awhile to really get going, and I didn't get the mystery going until like, sol 120 when it was about 90ish on both of my previous tries.

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
Does anyone have specific numbers on the effects of the network node spire? I built one in a previous game and couldn't really tell if it was having much of an effect.

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm

ragzilla posted:

Do you have a free adult slot in that dome? If not, it won’t be considered as a target for moves. Install an apartment block and block one slot (right click the last slot so it’s red).

You just saved my life with this information, thank you

Dirk the Average posted:

I'd really like trains, to be honest. It'd be nice to set up supply routes on rails, which would also help with the poor pathfinding for the transport rover. Setting up a rare metal train from a distant mining outpost to the space elevator or food trains from a central farm area to the outlying regions would make logistics a lot more interesting.

Oh my god this, put trains in this game and the autism levels will spike so hard I will design the real life Mars rocket myself

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
If you have to ask, you can never understand.

Edit: ok serious response have them run on electricity and during duststorms.

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
You sure it didn't get run over by a dust devil? They incapacitate any rovers they hit until they get fixed. Usually my 2nd rocket carries a 2nd drone rover to fix the first one in case it happens.

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
So what happens if somehow you pick your entire first crew to be one gender? NASA does not approve of Gay Mars Utopia?

You know, I may actually test that on my current game since my first breakthrough was Biorobots. Hmm...

Edit: ^^^ oh wow yes please. Give me terraforming machines that need 100 people to staff them and give us a reason to build true megacomplexes.

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm

FractalSandwich posted:

You'll have to wait out the whole 10-sol evaluation period before you can bring anyone else in. That's all.

Aww. Regardless, Project Men Are From Mars is a go:

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
As luck would have it, I did pick Blue Sun this game. Just got the drone printing tech (relatively early), going to try to do this without ever importing another human. Mars: one small step for Man (and Robot (exclusively))

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
The first biorobot on Mars finally emerged from the assembly line, ready to enter the Manosphere:

Clearly someone made a mistake somewhere. Steadier hands designed the next:

But it was too late, the damage had been done. Mars now knew the touch of a (robot) woman, and more were to come.

Edit: one of my robots just committed suicide from sanity loss due to working outside. Fortunately, she was an idiot.

metasynthetic fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Mar 23, 2018

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
It's an awkward, lonely night at Fat Robot Vegans Anonymous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
PSA: The Behavioral Melding tech (flaws cured via Sanitorium are replaced with perks) either does not work, does not work on robots, or has a high chance to replace with 'nothing.' I tracked 4 individual robots get cured of flaws and none of them got extra perks, and the rest of the general population doesn't seem to have gained any either.