Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

Samovar posted:

Edit: At least the writing in the movie (and this game) can't be as bad a Major/Minor!
I dunno, I feel like we're not that far off from the RDA pulling a WE ARE NOW SAFE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

Isn't it some sort of antigravity metal that's only found on this moon and Earth is 100% dependent on?

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

I don't remember any specific lines, but I vaguely recall there being a lot of weirdly flaccid machismo about how extreme and dangerous Pandora is, and it's just vague enough that I don't know if it was actually that way, or if this is a false memory generated by the dialogue we see here in the game.

Anyways, have this.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

"You're not in Kansas anymore; you're on Pandora."
God, it's so :nallears:
but I guess with those parts of the dialogue, that's the entire point?

Pvt.Scott posted:

I just thought it was a funny nerd joke in a mediocre movie, but I do realize that pretty much everyone else that saw the movie hated the name. Different strokes.
The Core had this joke too, where it was named by its creator having a bit of fun after being a scientific community pariah for years, and I kinda liked that.

With Avatar, I could not fully articulate my distaste for the joke on initial contact with it, but I think there were some vague notions along the lines of "what sort of corporate meme hell future is this?" and "you took a thing from nerds and pushed it mainstream."
Of course, now being more aware of our corporate meme hell present, and reflecting upon the joke, I see that the first notion was in fact stopping just shy of the truth, and that the great error of the second notion is that it was incomplete and directed at the writers.
So now I adjust my reaction. I appreciate the writing of the joke while simultaneously hating it even more, but this time entirely within the story, because "you took a thing from nerds and pushed it mainstream," and it loving worked, exactly the same as what happens around us all the goddamn time.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

Rahonavis posted:

Hello, I have made for you a thing.

(Tsahik's drawn-from-memory face matches mine right now. :magical: )
ho-ho-hoooly poo poo

• Locked thread