Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

Man I am super gonna need to see character designs and prepro stuff, Vinland Saga has insanely detailed art later on and I wonder how they're gonna capture that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
excited for the 2018 adaptation of my favorite ps2 game

psyer
Mar 26, 2013

dogsicle posted:

a bunch of other announcements came out alongside Vinland Saga:

Dororo remake being produced by MAPPA
Adaptation of the novel Babylon by Mado Nozaki
Adaptation of the (completed) manga Pet by Ranjou Miyake. Takahiro Omori directing, Sadayuki Murai writing.

and a Karakuri Circus PV (it's a MAD, no final animation shown)
https://youtu.be/8jRoqNWKpiw

All of those anime mentioned above are all part of the Twin Engine Network, which is lead by the former lead guy at noitaminA.
Mado Nozaki is the writer of Kado anime.

Here is a good article about Twin Engine that was written a year ago.

https://blog.sakugabooru.com/2017/04/17/new-anime-studios-founded-by-noitaminas-previous-leader/

Also probably to expect more news/announcement this week as AnimeJapan is approaching.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

psyer posted:

All of those anime mentioned above are all part of the Twin Engine Network, which is lead by the former lead guy at noitaminA.
Mado Nozaki is the writer of Kado anime.

Here is a good article about Twin Engine that was written a year ago.

https://blog.sakugabooru.com/2017/04/17/new-anime-studios-founded-by-noitaminas-previous-leader/

Also probably to expect more news/announcement this week as AnimeJapan is approaching.

ah, time to write off babylon

also vinland saga was featured on the big anime japan poll last month so well, you know what you can thank for that
https://www.anime-japan.jp/main/ajranking/anime_manga/form/

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Davincie posted:

ah, time to write off babylon

also vinland saga was featured on the big anime japan poll last month so well, you know what you can thank for that
https://www.anime-japan.jp/main/ajranking/anime_manga/form/

Snorri Thorfinnsson, a key figure in the Christianization of Iceland, and the grandfather of Thorlak Runolfsson, bishop of Skálholt?

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Koirhor posted:

I recently did the same and feel the same. Now fumoffu is still pretty hilarious and I think TSR holds up far better than Season 1. Like Kurz is just loving cringeworthy in that first episode.

I'm on episode 14 of the original series. I agree that Kurz is really annoying early on. Fortunately he doesn't really appear much after that.

The weirdest thing about FMP so far might be how un-military the non-Sosuke Mithril members are. "A Cat and a Kitten's Rock and Roll," for example, revolves around Tessa and Mao interacting as though Mao was an older student at Tessa's school, rather than Tessa being a superior officer. I guess that's just how Mithril works, and Sosuke is different because the group he worked for when he was a child soldier in Afghanistan was more formal.

Chidori is the character who most dates the show. The tsundere archetype is very much alive, of course, but generally without the kind of violence Chidori engages in (which is pretty uncomfortable if you take it "literally"). Despite this, I like her. It's interesting to see a relationship developing between two people "looking at different skies," as the ED puts it. Plus she functions as both an audience-viewpoint character and a love interest while having both a spine and a brain, which I think is a depressingly rare combination.

The weak link in terms of major characters might actually be Gauron. Making the villain a loose cannon who's steadily burning his bridges is fine for a storyline like the hijacking (it actually builds tension there), but makes him rather unthreatening in the long run. It doesn't help that pretty much the only thing from The Second Raid I've been spoiled on is that not only is Gauron the main villain, he comes back from apparent death again and again. Also, the "I'm not actually Chinese" bit made me worry that they're setting up a twist where he turns out to be Sosuke's father or something equally dumb.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Mar 19, 2018

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Vinland Saga seemed like it was gearing up for an anime for a while, Houseki (which runs in the same magazine) got one and did very well, and then they started doing stage-plays and concerts for Vinland Saga which seemed pretty much like they were revving it up.

Wit's a pretty solid studio for it, at least. Curious about the staff.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Silver2195 posted:

"A Cat and a Kitten's Rock and Roll," for example, revolves around Tessa and Mao interacting as though Mao was an older student at Tessa's school, rather than Tessa being a superior officer.
I think Mao's known Tessa since before Tessa signed up? Which probably explains their relationship. It's been ages since I watched FMP of any sort, though.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Araki is gonna direct Vinland Saga :twisted:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Chidori owns, and slapstick is incredibly good. Especially when a harisen is involved.

I kinda want to rewatch whole FMP before this, but I'll probably just do the fumoffu and TSR instead. Definitely a watch though.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Tessa I don't think signed up as much as was born into Mithril. Alot of Season 1 had drastic changes from the novels. This is a problem they averted with TSR I believe but it ends up making part of Season 1 nonsensical.

psyer
Mar 26, 2013

Endorph posted:

Vinland Saga seemed like it was gearing up for an anime for a while, Houseki (which runs in the same magazine) got one and did very well, and then they started doing stage-plays and concerts for Vinland Saga which seemed pretty much like they were revving it up.

Wit's a pretty solid studio for it, at least. Curious about the staff.

The concern is it seems like Wit already has a lot of things on their plate with Attack on Titan S3 and the Kaberneri film. Also, Magus Bride just ending for them. So not much rest for them.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Koirhor posted:

Tessa I don't think signed up as much as was born into Mithril.

The bit where she talked about going to school in Okinawa made it seem like her father was US military rather than Mithril. But maybe I'm misremembering.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

it could be that VS is a Winter or even 2019 anime, unless i missed a timeframe in the announcements.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Silver2195 posted:

The weak link in terms of major characters might actually be Gauron. Making the villain a loose cannon who's steadily burning his bridges is fine for a storyline like the hijacking (it actually builds tension there), but makes him rather unthreatening in the long run. It doesn't help that pretty much the only thing from The Second Raid I've been spoiled on is that not only is Gauron the main villain, he comes back from apparent death again and again. Also, the "I'm not actually Chinese" bit made me worry that they're setting up a twist where he turns out to be Sosuke's father or something equally dumb.

Everything about Gauron was done better by Ali Al-Sachez in Gundam 00, and he still wore out his welcome in the second season.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

psyer posted:

The concern is it seems like Wit already has a lot of things on their plate with Attack on Titan S3 and the Kaberneri film. Also, Magus Bride just ending for them. So not much rest for them.

we don't have a timeframe on Vinland Saga, but the Kabaneri film's tie-in game is releasing this summer so the movie will probably come out around then, too. AoT S3 is penciled in for July. So work on the Kabaneri film is probably wrapping up or is well underway, and they've probably already shifted AoT S3 into full production with Magus Bride wrapping up. So Vinland Saga will probably be Winter.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
I guess what I am saying is you reach a point in your life when you'd rather not have panty shots in your mecha alternate reality conspiracy show. Still alot of good stuff in S1 though.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Julias posted:

Anyways enough here people have expressed interest in it and Gorf made several good points in his post. I'll give megalobox the siren. Aikatsu too.

Thank you, Julias, I really appreciate it.

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

The_White_Crane posted:

The OP is wrong, it's actually the third season. There were two seasons plus a single OVA episode.
But I'm gonna watch it because I love fabulous magical gays guys.

oh right, there were no third season, just a special episode that wrapped up the story for the original cast and for some reason in my memory that registered as having watched a third season

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Silver2195 posted:

I'm on episode 14 of the original series. I agree that Kurz is really annoying early on. Fortunately he doesn't really appear much after that.

The weirdest thing about FMP so far might be how un-military the non-Sosuke Mithril members are. "A Cat and a Kitten's Rock and Roll," for example, revolves around Tessa and Mao interacting as though Mao was an older student at Tessa's school, rather than Tessa being a superior officer. I guess that's just how Mithril works, and Sosuke is different because the group he worked for when he was a child soldier in Afghanistan was more formal.

Chidori is the character who most dates the show. The tsundere archetype is very much alive, of course, but generally without the kind of violence Chidori engages in (which is pretty uncomfortable if you take it "literally"). Despite this, I like her. It's interesting to see a relationship developing between two people "looking at different skies," as the ED puts it. Plus she functions as both an audience-viewpoint character and a love interest while having both a spine and a brain, which I think is a depressingly rare combination.

I would honestly suggest watching TSR before judging how well or poorly you think Gauron was done in that season. It's honestly nowhere close to what you're thinking.

Also, Mithril is basically just a somewhat principled PMC, so they're by default not going to necessarily act like an actual military. For example, Mao was dishonorably discharged from the USMC before joining - reason unknown, but it's not particularly hard to take a reasonable guess - while a more informal organization is going to be willing to give her more leeway so long as her skills are top notch. Kurz's background reasons for joining actually are fairly interesting and sympathetic, but haven't been covered in any of the animated stuff so he does just plain come off badly. Tessa has her command for reasons that have nothing to do with her leadership capability, and there's a reason why an actual retired military officer is her XO.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

dogsicle posted:

Araki is gonna direct Vinland Saga :twisted:

This would be horrible but I'd have to watch just to see how horrible and how much Araki ignores the pacifist message in the manga

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

How dead will that kid be at the end of God of War? Extremely, Mostly, or Just Inside?

Edit: lol sry wrong thread

an actual dog fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Mar 20, 2018

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

an actual dog posted:

How dead will that kid be at the end of God of War? Extremely, Mostly, or Just Inside?
the final level will be dead kratos and then that kid will get handed the chain swords and kratos will go 'son, you are The God of War for PS2 now' and then youll play as the kid in teh final level

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Endorph posted:

the final level will be dead kratos and then that kid will get handed the chain swords and kratos will go 'son, you are The God of War for PS2 now' and then youll play as the kid in teh final level

Sounds legit

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I'm glad that safe pick/risky pick is now a thing. This is the legacy i leave adtrw

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Endorph posted:

kratos: son... i have something to tell you
god of war child: what dad
kratos: god of war backwards... it's...

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

https://twitter.com/Yuyucow/status/975695775278739456?s=19
lol

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

New season of My Hero Academia calls for a nice new thread, don't it?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3852167

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Added to OP, thanks.

quote:

:siren:Boku no Hero Academia 3rd Season (My Hero Academia Season 3)
Bones | Nagasaki, Kenji | Kuroda, Yousuke | Action, Comedy, School, Shounen, Super Power | Manga | Apr 7, 2018
Third season of Boku no Hero Academia.
PV
Thread

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
https://twitter.com/Crunchyroll/status/975922632532078592

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
Caligula is about what essentially amounts to a Matrix’d-up mental institution where the staff wants to help you to death because they’re AIs and don’t actually know what they’re doing.

The high school premise is itself a joke about one of the many forms of popular escapism.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Neeksy posted:

Caligula is about what essentially amounts to a Matrix’d-up mental institution where the staff wants to help you to death because they’re AIs and don’t actually know what they’re doing.

The high school premise is itself a joke about one of the many forms of popular escapism.
caligula is based on a game by the guy who wrote persona 1 and persona 2 and didn't work on 3 onwards. it's not just a general joke, it's pretty pointed criticism of persona 3 onwards in particular.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

Endorph posted:

caligula is based on a game by the guy who wrote persona 1 and persona 2 and didn't work on 3 onwards. it's not just a general joke, it's pretty pointed criticism of persona 3 onwards in particular.

I dunno if I think it is pointed at P3-5 specifically, though. High school idealization is not exactly a Persona-exclusive crime.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Persona 1 and Innocent Sin were also about high schoolers too.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
and here's why Caligula will be good

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
i'm glad they made a show where the futami twins lead a bunch of b-list idols to glory

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

Mighty Dicktron posted:

Man I am super gonna need to see character designs and prepro stuff, Vinland Saga has insanely detailed art later on and I wonder how they're gonna capture that

https://i.imgur.com/cd03s7h.mp4

:unsmigghh:

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
The hidden gem in that shot is the three in back very slowly sliding right for absolutely no reason.

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down

Sindai posted:

The hidden gem in that shot is the three four in back very slowly sliding right for absolutely no reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Personal_Nirvana
Dec 28, 2012
Anything City Hunter-related in tyool 2018 is so loving out of place

• Locked thread