Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
im gonna check out the taisho era show because the taisho era was a pretty interesting time and an upswing in democracy and human rights until the showa emperor turned up and the balance swung toward a bunch of violent lunatics

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Endorph posted:

ishihama directed from the new world, a story about weird teenage angst and society's flaws that expressed those things fairly well even if I don't even personally like it. He's also spent his entire career directing a ton of openings, including Bleach OP 13, occultic;nine, tokyo ravens,, and welcome to the NHK. I don't even like some of those OPs that much, but they show a clear interest and skill in stylization and visual language, which is something that fits Persona 5 to a T.

Obviously this doesn't guarantee that the anime will be good, but the director has a skillset that is very suited to the material. Unlike P4 Golden, which was directed by a comedy director who had already mined the material for about the best he could do with it and just had to go for another go around with almost nothing to work with, and half of what he had to work with (the Adachi stuff, the Marie drama) wasn't suited to his skillset at all.

there's a decent article outlining ishihama's style here

he's a really talented dude, he's up there with omata with work that im always willing to check out just cause his name is on it

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

dogsicle posted:

i finished b: the beginning and can confirm it is a must-watch anime except for like two episodes in the middle that are boring

b was fun as hell you wont regret diving in

its a bit of a mess, but there's always something happening

sword gai was a loving bore

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
actually devilman crybaby and aico are both good in different ways

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
i used to have a lil respect for yamakan but then he turned out to be both mediocre and abusive has hell

also he was like the first to jump on to the post-fukushima theme but its clear that anno and shinkai were much much better at dealing with that

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
i havent watched it, but pa works does some high quality stuff. it usually has little to do with how much money that member of the production committee funnels in

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Endorph posted:

i dont know why i thought that girl was korean, in hindsight.

are there any korean characters in anime? their absence is really weird. you have chinese, filo, indian people in anime, but not koreans? the biggest ethnic minority in japan, a huge portion of the credits for inbetween work, and they're completely invisible in the medium?

there's plenty of korean culture in japan, esp in osaka where i spent alot of time

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
i remember picking up lil packs of kimchi from the supermarkets and it was nbd, people like that stuff, even if its not as heavily fermented as the original

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
megalobox was loving rad and its story was paced perfectly, just a slow ramping up of tension and hype until you feel like scraeming the protag's name

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
the new sao is very fun and i cant wait for tattoo dorothy

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
juushinki pandora is pretty watchable, lots of fun characters

also i was surprised that the show was so chinese-coded, then i looked it up and it was some kind of co-production? i like the aesthetic, though i just hope that there is a unified creative vision that kawamori gets to pull off

and i quite like the conceit of the main mech, where the robot-animal plague constantly evolves, the main robot searches through parallel universes until it finds a configuration that will kick the most rear end

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
grancrest senki bought out some slick webgen animation right at a climactic moment

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
I thought the penultimate ep of pripri was weak but the final ep was good

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
wont ever beat steak umms trying to join weird twitter and hanging out w the 'tax

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Space Battleship Tiramisu just had the most realistic depiction of space madness that I have ever seen.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Yeah the technical details of Iserlohn Fortress was one of the coolest things about the original, it's so weird and out-there and unlike anything else you see in sci fi media.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Sindai posted:

It turns out Beatless finally delivered the twist I was hoping for, though unfortunately it took 19 episodes of mostly so-so execution.

now it just feels depressing, everyone's lovely and unlikeable, no one to root for

if you want a depressing sci fi story about events spiraling out of control, you gotta lean in to it

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
space battleship tiramisu is some inspired poo poo

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
an isekai, but get this, its the reincarnated soul of oskar dirlewanger

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
does 2ch have a spite buy culture, would ln sales skyrocket? sounds like he sjws played themselves!

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
more directors should grift chinese billionaires on their production committees

the macross dude managed to get them to pay for a ridiculous amount of schezuan hot pot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
western racism against blacks and arabs and mexicans and eastern europeans probably looks just as absurd from elsewhere

• Locked thread