Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Guy Goodbody posted:

I think it's worth noting that Gundam Build Divers isn't just another Gundam spinoff, it's a wholly new universe. And if anyone's interested, they put out a 15 minute long prologue episode

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-zR55C33TLA

I’m not sure about wholly new. It’s not unlikely that it’s a distant sequel to Build Fighters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Wizard Barristers ep.11 is still my go-to for obvious production trainwrecks. There may be worse out there, but I ain’t seen ‘em.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Can’t see webms on my phone. What heinousness am I missing?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Fangz posted:

Given the exploitative nature of this production, it would have been more tragic if the product ended up being good and vindicated their approach.

Sounds like there’s a story here.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
lol

https://twitter.com/b0bduh/status/980913401663774725?s=21

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

The one that had Roah as the main character was okay but I guess it depends how you felt about him getting retconned to be more sympathetic.

The entire second half of the FOTNS manga was like that. It’s like Buronson forgot he was supposed to be the bad guy.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Homura and Sickle posted:

on one hand, first episode of magical girl site definitely leaned too heavily on grimdark and shock value, but on the other hand the ED has cg sperm flying everywhere for some reason

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKCbZtpB2iY

You... were not kidding. :stare:

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Tonkatsu DJ Agetaro has an elite Korean DJ introduce our protagonist to the pleasures of EDM (and Korean food).

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
https://twitter.com/b0bduh/status/983414538426048517?s=21

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Spiritus Nox posted:

So was there any particular reason for the bear in Golden Kamui to be CGI? Like, I dunno, is it some sort of supernatural demon bear that's supposed to look completely out of place from its surroundings? Or did the animators just decide they couldn't/didn't wanna draw a bear?

Apparently, bears really suck to animate, and this is a fairly cheap, unimaginative adaptation.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
https://twitter.com/sasquatchulous/status/983792280820731904?s=21

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Personal_Nirvana posted:

Megalo box is the real deal and holy poo poo its uncanny how much it reminds me of Cowboy Beebop for some reason

Perma-broke protagonist with big hair, sick martial arts skills, and a death-wish?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Kashuno posted:

God drat if anyone is on the fence do not sleep on Megalobox. The art is gorgeous, the soundtrack is killer, and so far the story is interesting. JD is a good main character I’m excited to see what happens

Also, the story is simple, archetypal, and a remix of a famous, critically-acclaimed classic, so the odds on it making GBS threads the bed down the line seem extremely low. It feels like perhaps the most solid investment of the season.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

I'm the opposite, I watched a bunch of stuff last season but don't really care about anything other than MHA this one

All I’m saying is that if great-looking superpowered punching is your thing, then Megalobox will probably also be your thing. Unless you’ve already tried it and discarded it for reasons.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Truga posted:

We'll never be truly free of Rocket Propellant 1

Not as long as our souls are weighed down by gravity.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Agronox posted:

I figure it can't be a worse gym watch than KLK, which... well, I'm not sure what my reputation is at the gym these days

You, uh, you might be surprised.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

I haven't watched it yet, but does it suffer the problem the main series did of trying to treat an FPS like an MMORPG?

Near as I can tell, it just is an MMOFPS. Like Destiny.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Nephthys posted:

I like that its a show where the main character actually just plays the game as it's intended to be played and has fun doing it. And she PK's and isn't treated like an rear end in a top hat for it.

And her scary bloodthirsty rival is actually just her friend who she’s made a bet with because they both think it would be fun.

That said, she’s totally going to turn out to be that idol she’s a fan of, isn’t she?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Spiritus Nox posted:

I saw someone else speculating as much, and there might be something there. LLENN asks her what kind of music she's into and Pito goes all "I can't even read sheet music", which is an odd thing to say when you're thinking about listening to music but a perfectly reasonable one when you're thinking about performing.

And while she doesn’t necessarily need one, it also gives her an extra reason for wanting to avoid creepy fans. I’m also prepared to bet that when we see one of her concerts, her stage persona will be sugary as gently caress.

Anyway, MMO Junkie Except They’re Both Girls And The Director Hopefully Isn’t A Nazi should be fun.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I can’t see many obvious reasons why Megalobox would crash and burn. Yeah, the staff are relative rookies (to their particular jobs, at least, not to anime in general), but we know from the first two episodes that they can art real good, and the story is simple, archetypal, and based on a critically-acclaimed classic. As (mostly) original anime goes, it feels like a really safe bet.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Helter Skelter posted:

If I were to start watching Lupin now, would this be an alright place to start or should I go with one of the previous series? I'm aware that the various series are somewhat disconnected but not exactly to what degree.

This one will work, although it does have slightly more callbacks than the previous series, Part IV, and is generally a bit more self-referential. So you could start there in order to ease you into the series if you want, but it’s far from mandatory.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I thought KyoAni was famous for not treating its people like poo poo?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
https://twitter.com/funimation/status/989640307036839936?s=21

Yep, the FMP dub is getting the entire original cast back. Well, except for Kalinin’s VA, who’s dead. That might be a little tricky.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
GBD isn’t actively bad, but SAO: GGO is kind of eating its lunch.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

The Black Stones posted:

Full Metal Panic season 4 is incredibly good so far, but you need to have seen the first and third season at the very least.

Also, you need a certain tolerance for primitive CG in the action scenes.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Sharkopath posted:

the fuk does that even mean

Gundam Build Divers isn’t bad, but Sword Art Online Alternative: Gun Gale Online is doing the same thing better.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Gyra_Solune posted:

ah poo poo, did build divers turn out to be not-good

‘Not-good’ is exactly the right term. It’s technically competent, and has fun and charming bits, and the staff are clearly having fun with the concept and setting (there’s loads of wonderfully silly little background details), but it feels kind of bland and by-the-numbers.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

But what does this teach us about insect biology?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Grouchio posted:

I've had bad case of only following one series this season thus far (MHA). What should I watch as well?

If you like superpowered punching, Megalobox is a fine choice. If you like goofy, warm-hearted superpowered comedy, try Hinamatsuri.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Yeah, if you want a show that’s good and will promote discussion, Land of the Lustrous is pretty top-tier. A Place Further than the Universe and Mob Psycho are excellent, but slightly less fantastic at being conversation pieces. Like, you can talk a lot about them, but you can talk a lot about LOTL.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Paracelsus posted:

A little late to this, and it's a few years old, but Death Parade is good, not fanservicey, 12 episodes, has a lot to sink your teeth into, and has an OP that will genuinely get people interested.

That’s a real good call, yes.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Motto posted:

I post, I regret.

Ah, the SA experience.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
So is the new LOGH an adequate take on the story?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Motto posted:

:shrug: I haven't been watching either but from what I've seen people are kinda reaching to make weird takes.

I think it’s mainly that the show’s been pretty vague and contradictory about its themes even this close to the end (and the most coherent interpretations are still pretty bizarre - if it’s a criticism of Japanese work culture, for instance, then its diagnosis of the problem and suggested treatments are, to put it kindly, odd), and hasn’t exactly gone out of its way to shut down the right-wing take on its themes in any sort of conclusive way. So it’s less a show that is definitely being weird and uncomfortable about sexuality, and more of a show that opens itself to some weird and uncomfortable interpretations (and closes itself to some more charitable ones).

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
DITF definitely acknowledges that gay people exist. It’s just a question of whether a place for them in its world can be found, and that’s still not got an answer yet (especially since the lesbian girl and the constantly-humiliated fat kid kind of feel like they’ve been lumped together into Team Expendable).

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Xelkelvos posted:

I feel like the message in FranXX is way more simple and people are reading into poo poo too deep, ala Evangelion.

Spoiler: At this point, "human" is pretty much a concept you can throw out the window since the Parasites seem to be different from the people living in the domes who also may or may not be different from the people of APE. Any one of these groups may be the closest to what we know as human in terms of behavior but not biologically. Alternatively all of these groups may be related to humans but have grown distinct. This ignores Klaxosaurs who, in crack theory time, may have also descended from humans way before everything went to poo poo.

The intended message may be simple, but it wouldn’t be the first time a show had dragged in unintentional but revealing baggage.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Eesh, there sure are some synopses in there. Anyone know if any of the original works are being done by people we should care about?

Also, hope Koizuka is still helming AOT S3. He hasn’t done much as a director, but what he has done makes me think he deserves more attention. His work kind of feels like Tetsuro Araki’s, but with more range and baseline competence. Plus, I wasn’t too keen on the arc they’ll be adapting this time around, so it’d be nice if they have a good director to elevate it a bit.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Oh poo poo, Sirius is an Ando vehicle? Guess AOT S3 might have some stiff competition for good-looking gritty supernatural action, then.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Expect My Mom posted:

i'm interested in bananafish and the kaiji spinoff. i'll also watch the new free because i have no self respect and want to see my ships not even get out of the hangar

The drydock, surely? Or is drydocking perhaps a little too advanced?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

chumbler posted:

Yes hello, I think it is in fact not a good thing.

A radical stance. Do you have any basis for this theory?

• Locked thread