Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tinytort
Jun 10, 2013

Super healthy, super cheap

Queen Victorian posted:

Electrical (definitely hiring this out):
- Consider rewiring entire house (which would include shelling out to repair plaster), but if not,
- Add safety features like new junction boxes to remaining knob and tube circuits (which are in good condition)
- Add grounding to some newer circuits that for some reason are not grounded
- Add GFCI outlets

I don't think anyone else has addressed this bit yet, and admittedly my info comes from a lot of lurking in the crappy construction thread. But from what I understand, if you're opening up the walls to touch the wiring at all, you're probably going to be required to bring all the wiring up to code anyway.

Just budget for rewiring the house, it'll be less stressful. From the way people in the crappy construction thread yell about it when knob and tube wiring shows up, I don't think you want to keep that stuff even if it's in mint condition.

Edited to add: also, my best guess at the flowers in your yard is that they're probably field violets. I can't really see them very well in the photo. But if they are field violets, don't worry too much about a lawn mower taking them out. My family had field violets in our backyard when I was growing up, and nothing short of completely replacing the turf would have gotten rid of them; they grow back pretty fast, even though they don't bloom for very long.

tinytort fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Apr 27, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tinytort
Jun 10, 2013

As far as paint colours go, take a look at the Pantone sets and figure out what colours you like and what ones you don't like. Have your fiance do the same.

For your bedroom, blues and purples are nice since they're very soothing and tend to help some with relaxing and getting to sleep. But the important part is "you and fiance will be able to stand looking at the colour for the next couple of years".

tinytort
Jun 10, 2013

Queen Victorian posted:

We grabbed all the free brochures and pamphlets in the paint section the other day at Home Depot for ideas and inspiration. At least with me, my difficulty with figuring out paint colors is that I grew up in a house with an entirely white interior. All the rooms were white. The trim was white. My dad didn't let me or my siblings choose colors to paint our rooms (like all our friends got to do) so our rooms were white also. My parents have since repainted, but now the entire interior is a different color - a very lovely pale gold color with white trim, but still all the same color. So the idea of picking out a bunch of different colors and have them work individually and also be somewhat cohesive is daunting.

I know jackshit about wallpaper so would have to research it more and possibly hire out installation so we don't gently caress it up forever. My only direct experience with it was when I was a kid and my cousin and I helped our grandma peel off the old wallpaper in her kitchen so she could put up new wallpaper.

Okay, so two things here. 1) You're overthinking the cohesiveness, probably. I mean, yeah, you probably don't want anything to clash horribly. But if the room has doors that can section it off from the rest of the house? Don't worry about cohesiveness unless you expect those doors to be open the majority of the time. The bedrooms don't need to blend with the hallway, and the kitchen doesn't have to work with whatever rooms lead into it.

2) Wallpaper is miserable to work with and I would advise using it sparingly. It's possible that it's gotten less awful since I last had to help out with it, but I'd use it for trim only. That way, you're not having to deal with getting whole ceiling-to-floor panels hung perfectly, just small strips that can go anywhere on the wall you want.
If you really really have to have the whole wall done with wallpaper, definitely get a professional to do it for you. Imagine the tedious and obnoxious part of trying to get a screen protector onto your electronics, and then make it a whole wall worth of work. That's what putting up wallpaper is like.

tinytort
Jun 10, 2013

Tile stoves are awesome and gorgeous. Uncommon in the States and Canada, though.

Pros: set-and-forget, and they won't catch things on fire or go above 'comfortably warm' unless you're seriously dumb with fueling it. You can curl up and nap on them while they're running, or set them up for cooking, and they'll run all day and all night if you fuel them properly.

Cons: no off switch in the older versions, and takes a long time to heat up and cool down. Works by radiant heat - it dumps heat out through the tiles, and that heats the rest of the house. So rooms further away from it will be colder. And most of them run on wood or other burnables (not coal, usually, any more). Also, really uncommon in North America - I think they're more common in eastern Europe, generally, so finding someone who knows what you're even talking about (much less how to build or install one) is likely to be difficult.