Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DeTosh
Jan 14, 2010
Slippery Tilde
I'm looking forward to seeing the rest of this. It'll be cool to finally learn what Koudelka is about (unless it's one of those RPGs with a ridiculous plot). Plus, I love your LPs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Man, I miss the days when games would do whatever the gently caress they wanted.

That said, Survival Horror and JRPGs go together pretty well. Hell, the first survival horror game ever made was a JRPG. (Sweet Home on the NES)

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Is Hiroki Kikuta still around, or did he get eaten into video game history obscurity? He seemed like he really worked hard on this game (that I love dearly, flawed development issues aside). Heard he read about 100 history books trying to get the setting right.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I've never heard of this game.

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender
Ooh, good stuff! I seem to recall that the English voice acting was actually pretty good for a PSX-era game, although that's not a terribly high bar to clear.

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013
I tried this game once and didn't get very far, but I remember really enjoying having a party of characters who, to put it charitably, don't get along very well.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Koudelka does a good job presenting a cast of characters who don't really like each other but are at least mature enough to recognize they need to rely on each other to accomplish their mutually-shared goal of not getting killed.

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene
There are few games out there with an ensemble like this one. The voice acting only manages to improve over the course of the story, as well.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
This was also one of the few games that had motion capture for the actors (yes actual actors) in the days where it was still a new technology. It also had the actors in the same room together doing their lines too, so it came off as surprisingly natural dialogue for the characters.

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.
I remember playing this game when I was 12 and not really understanding any of it as I died a lot.

I look forward to watching you destroy it.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

EagerSleeper posted:

Is Hiroki Kikuta still around, or did he get eaten into video game history obscurity? He seemed like he really worked hard on this game (that I love dearly, flawed development issues aside). Heard he read about 100 history books trying to get the setting right.

He's still around, and apparently even did some of the remastered tracks for the recent Secret of Mana remake.

Said remasters (by him and like, a dozen random doujin music circles) are mostly goofy as hell yet often lovable nonetheless. Much like the remake itself.

I only knew about Koudelka because of the soundtrack, which is on my regular playlists just 'cause it's really chill and catchy.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
Nice surprise to see this one - looking forward to your, always enjoyable, take on things TDI.

I've got some scans of stuff if you need any - a few that aren't on the wikia, and some general development info from interviews, if you're interested.

Weeble
Feb 26, 2016
I know all 3 Shadow Hearts quite well, but have never really encountered this game in any form.

Should be fun.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Koudelka is good and the shadow hearts games never managed to live up to it. that said, koudelka is also an awful game.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Good game, awful combat. Got it on the shelf along with SH1-3.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

The Dark Id posted:

Slaying the Werewolf earns Koudelka some Cheese! Two pieces, in fact. No, it’s not Cheese 2, the sequel to Cheese.

Dang, was hoping it was just the Localization of Cheesara, and the inevitable Cheesaga.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008
Hold up, our Generic White Male for this game is Edward J. Plunkett?!
... I didn't know he was a poet and a burglar/monster hunter.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
This is a rather... interesting game.

Shame you understandably put the kibosh on doing the Shadow Hearts games because while 1+2 are good but weird jrpgs the third is exactly your kind of trainwreck. I highly recommend SH1 + 2 if folks like the themes and universe of this game during the LP.

Either way looking forward to your take on the rest of THIS game as it definitely goes places

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 12:13 on Mar 22, 2018

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
gently caress yeah we got some cheese!
Why don't we have cheese emoticons? :(

It always seems a bit weird to me when you're in a bind and you feel obligated to introduce yourself with your full name like it means something. Why not just say "I'm Edward, let's get out of here."

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Mokinokaro posted:

Shame you understandably put the kibosh on doing the Shadow Hearts games because while 1+2 are good but weird jrpgs the third is exactly your kind of trainwreck. I highly recommend SH1 + 2 if folks like the themes and universe of this game during the LP.

Either way looking forward to your take on the rest of THIS game as it definitely goes places

I've played most of Shadow Hearts: From the New World, and I wouldn't call it a trainwreck. I'd call it a drugged-out voyage of wonder and madness :lsd:.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

I've never played Shadow Hearts (or Koudelka for that matter), but after reading the LP for it I wish I had. Shame it's hard to find nowadays unless you're willing to pay exorbitant prices.

Allegedly the director's been working on a new project for some time, but the details are very hush hush.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
Man, I continue being amazed by your LPing pace. Making the rest of us look bad, I swear.

Koudelka is a game I'll always remember for having bizarrely good voice acting even by modern standards, which is pretty much the exact opposite of what you'd expect from a niche 1999 PS1 JRPG. It's not even a localization thing - the English language track was there in the original Japanese version already. I don't think any voice actor involved ended up being particularly well-known either.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Bad Seafood posted:

I've never played Shadow Hearts (or Koudelka for that matter), but after reading the LP for it I wish I had. Shame it's hard to find nowadays unless you're willing to pay exorbitant prices.

Unfortunately it's one of those series stuck in licensing hell so we'll likely never see a rerelease.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I've played most of Shadow Hearts: From the New World, and I wouldn't call it a trainwreck. I'd call it a drugged-out voyage of wonder and madness :lsd:.
Don't forget the boob jiggle.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Id just did Nier Automata, let him have some small respite from having to worry about his kids seeing T&A on his screen.

Not that Koudelka is any more kid friendly, but that's for entirely different reasons :unsmigghh:

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Is it me or does like 95% of survival horror take place in giant rich-guy mansions? Somebody should outlaw those things.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Kanfy posted:

Man, I continue being amazed by your LPing pace. Making the rest of us look bad, I swear.

Koudelka is a game I'll always remember for having bizarrely good voice acting even by modern standards, which is pretty much the exact opposite of what you'd expect from a niche 1999 PS1 JRPG. It's not even a localization thing - the English language track was there in the original Japanese version already. I don't think any voice actor involved ended up being particularly well-known either.

Coming from stuff like RE the script and acting was mind blowing. I remember being impressed bakc in the day by how characters would talk over each other when agitated.
But yeah, looking at the cast on imdb none of the main cast have more than 5 credited roles and it's all background characters. I guess good voice directing does make a difference.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

Zoe posted:

I know nothing about this game but it's a new TDI LP so, preparing to love this poo poo.

Pretty much exactly what I was planning to post.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I remember playing this for like 20 minutes, but because of the tank controls and no manual, and the fact that it came in a pack with Battletanx (a game, incidentally, WITHOUT tank controls), I moved on pretty quick. Excited to see what I missed out on :v:

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues
All four of the games that you can tie into the Shadow Hearts series are great each in their own way, and I'm looking forwards to everyone seeing just why Koudelka is so fantastic.

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene

Mokinokaro posted:

From the New World has the best gameplay in the series, but also the wackiest story. It's basically the inverse of Koudelka in a lot of ways.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
One day I REALLY need to get around to finishing Shadow Hearts 2.

HR12345
Nov 19, 2012
I rememberrenting it, playing it for like all of 5-10 minutes, then forgetting about it until Shadow Hearts 1 was a thing.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Bad Seafood posted:

Allegedly the director's been working on a new project for some time, but the details are very hush hush.

Which director we're talking? Shadow Hearts director, or Koudelka director?

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Yiss, new LP!

This oughta be good, I can see Id's gonna have a blast subtitling the characters.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

EagerSleeper posted:

Which director we're talking? Shadow Hearts director, or Koudelka director?
The Shadow Hearts director, sorry; should've clarified.

Here's a link to the article where he talks about it. Dude also mentions Shadow Hearts 3 was just a spin-off, and the real Shadow Hearts 3 (staring Yuri's dad) never got made.

Here's another link to the interview where he talks about it. The site itself is in Italian but they provide an English translation below each question and answer. Spoilers for Shadow Hearts, obviously.

EDIT: There are also a few spoilers about Koudelka so only read if you're already familiar with the game.

Bad Seafood fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Mar 23, 2018

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I can't say Koudelka was a good game but I remember liking it for what it was. I was also completely blown the gently caress away when Shadow Hearts turned out to be a sequel. I am one of the like... 3 people in the world who that reveal worked for.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

Bad Seafood posted:

Here's a link to the article where he talks about it. Dude also mentions Shadow Hearts 3 was just a spin-off, and the real Shadow Hearts 3 (staring Yuri's dad) never got made.

Here's another link to the interview where he talks about it. The site itself is in Italian but they provide an English translation below each question and answer. Spoilers for Shadow Hearts, obviously.

EDIT: There are also a few spoilers about Koudelka so only read if you're already familiar with the game.

I would be so down for a Shadow Hearts 3 continuing from Karin's ending. Give me more bizarre time-loop historical horror jrpg.

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene

Bad Seafood posted:

This is extremely awesome news. I hope it happens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

GeneX posted:

LP retirement: a fleeting dream
Look, after playing a steaming pile of poo poo like The 3rd Birthday to completion, I can totally understand why TDI would immediately go "that's it, no more, go to hell." Seriously, that makes Metroid Other M look like a work of feminist literature.

I have no idea what to expect from this game, mainly because I've never heard of it. I'll chalk up the fact Koudelka in the cutscenes looks like she has slight Down's syndrome to the PS1, but the voice acting sounds bad. They couldn't get anyone British? It takes place in Wales for God's sake.

get that OUT of my face fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Mar 23, 2018

• Locked thread