Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

This poster survived LPing Lunar: Dragon Song. Let's give her a hand.
You know, looking at those Shadow Hearts screenshots... yeah I was right to remember that Shadow Hearts didn't look much better than Koudelka, despite being on the PS2. Koudelka had a much higher budget though, at least if the buttloads of voice acting and a fmv every five feet is to be believed. (Although I think even at the time the fmvs didn't look that great, but it wasn't considered terrible.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene

Camel Pimp posted:

You know, looking at those Shadow Hearts screenshots... yeah I was right to remember that Shadow Hearts didn't look much better than Koudelka, despite being on the PS2. Koudelka had a much higher budget though, at least if the buttloads of voice acting and a fmv every five feet is to be believed. (Although I think even at the time the fmvs didn't look that great, but it wasn't considered terrible.)

I'd say there's an improvement in most ways, except for model animations. Koudelka's cutscenes have a lot of motion capture, whereas SH1 relies on a lot of canned animations (and Yuri's torso seemingly disconnected from the rest of his model when he runs).

I much prefer SH1's pre-rendered backgrounds to Koudelka's, though.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
SH1 was originally planned to be a PS1 game as well.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Accordion Man posted:

SH1 was originally planned to be a PS1 game as well.

yeah, iirc it was a fairly early PS2 game, the graphics weren't that much better at the start.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
It's also kind of funny that the Bad Ending strongly hints that despite all the cosmic horrors, otherworldy terrors, and other Lovecraftian and Gothic trappings, God exists in the Shadow Hearts universe and is good in a genre where God tends to be a humongous rear end in a top hat.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

If anyone's going to manage to justify pulling off a literal deus ex machina it'd be The Bishop, too.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013

Accordion Man posted:

It's also kind of funny that the Bad Ending strongly hints that despite all the cosmic horrors, otherworldy terrors, and other Lovecraftian and Gothic trappings, God exists in the Shadow Hearts universe and is good in a genre where God tends to be a humongous rear end in a top hat.

That seriously makes me wonder if God and Meta-God are the same, since the bestiary description for the latter says that it's been worshipped by people as God, or if it's just another inconsistency when Kikuta left.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

If they'd ever had to explain it, they'd have gone with the cross James had being a very powerful magical artifact.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Shitenshi posted:

That seriously makes me wonder if God and Meta-God are the same, since the bestiary description for the latter says that it's been worshipped by people as God, or if it's just another inconsistency when Kikuta left.
Don't think so, Meta-God is just supposed to be a sufficiently advanced alien that people thought was a god. Albert Simon claims its God, but he's not the most reliable source.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Jun 16, 2018

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues
Fantastic LP to a fantastic game, thank you.

Accordion Man posted:

Don't think so, Meta-God is just supposed to be a sufficiently advanced alien that people thought was a god. Albert Simon claims its God, but he's not the most reliable source.

Yeah, the general use of "god" in that case is exactly that. A creature so far beyond what humans could do it can only really be described as a god for people to adequately understand the power they face.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
One thing to note is that Shadow Hearts is a TON longer than Koudelka as well. They would've bankrupted themselves if they did Koudelka-quality voice acting and capture on Shadow Hearts. It's a bit of a pity, but in exchange you get a game whose core systems aren't actively unfun to play from the outset and that still has a lot of love put into its writing and atmosphere.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Accordion Man posted:

I'm not sure if Albert claiming it's God is a translation error or not.

Either way, SH2 makes it extremely clear that Meta-God is not capital-G God. Yuri calls it a "god from beyond the stars", and makes a comment about not being sure if God exists or not.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Night10194 posted:

If anyone's going to manage to justify pulling off a literal deus ex machina it'd be The Bishop, too.

But he was too late. The lady Elaine saw the light.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
What if Drakengard was a weird horror JRPG

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Screaming Idiot posted:

What if Drakengard was a weird horror JRPG

It'd probably have an even more obtuse and impenetrable battle system than Koudelka

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Nimsant posted:

At first, I thought I can't even do one part like this. TBH, I wanted to give pt. 5 and 6 only as a short summary as well, but the detailed critique from EagerSleeper changed my mind.
As for now, I think I do not want to do that. And the thread will probably be locked before I manage anyway. But maybe I will have a better mood after weekend.

Well hey, still thank you very much for what you've done for us by providing first-hand accounts about what the CDs contain. If my critiques have helped before, then let me go ahead and offer some more! This time if it helps, I'll try and add in some word contractions to help out with giving a more colloquial feel to the dialogue. Word contractions are optional, but they're the little touch that makes a translation accurate to how native speakers tend to talk in daily life. I'll also try to explain the reasons behind the critiques, because hopefully it might help. Let's begin!

pure beauty posted:

No grammatical stuff here to comment on, but oh my goddddd :vince: I almost choked on my drink from laughter, oh lord.

quote:

That's wrong! I had no choice. I wanted to turn back and embrace her right away."
Elaine too."

This one is completely optional, but I'd probably go with "Elaine did too" to remove any ambiguity. Sometimes people tend to naturally drop words when speaking, but here I think that the extra word would make it more clear.

quote:

I knew it. Your resolution. That's why it was hard. I hid my hatred for you. ... I loved her, that is why I thought I do not want to loose to you! I ignored her feelings."

"I loved her. That's why I felt I didn't want to lose to you." Okay, fun fact: I'll be completely honest here but contracting "that is" to "that's" is completely optional here, because it depends on what tone of voice you want to give Patrick. If he's speaking naturally or off the cuff, contractions. If he's being ghostly, poetic, very somber, academic, or calculated, no contractions. Choosing to enunciate and properly pronounce each word is a decision that could go either way here with the final words of a dead guy. That's the real reason why contractions are a big deal in writing casual speech, or academic papers. Changing "I thought I do not want to lose to you" to "I felt I didn't want to lose to you" is because most of the time people wouldn't phrase it that way. It's kind of sounded like Patrick was quoting himself ("I thought to myself at that moment, 'I don't want to lose to you'"). It's possible he was, I'm not sure, but just in case I suggested the alternative way to phrase it.

quote:

When she was killed, I search for a way to resurrect her, I am sorry (I'm). I wanted to make Elaine, that you have abandoned, happy. And, at last, I found it.

"When she was killed, I searched for a way to resurrect her. I'm sorry" Just have to change it to past tense, no biggie. :shobon: "I wanted to make Elaine, who you abandoned, happy." When talking about a person, it would be best to say "who". Using "that" as a pronoun is mostly reserved for animals and objects.

quote:

Yes. But as a result, I made her suffer. All I did was make her suffer. Due to my error, even the peace of the death was stolen from her. I am just a coward as you are. When she became a monster due to my doings and stood before me, I was so despaired I didn't even tried to save myself.

Maybe "I'm just a coward like you (are)," or "I'm just as coward(ly) as you (are)." Everything in the parentheses is optional to add or drop. To be totally honest, maybe this one was already fine as is grammar-wise? Something gives me the feeling that it should probably be in past tense since Patrick may be talking about how he acted then, so maybe "I was just as much a coward as you (are)."

quote:

A residual thought? <she actually says a term, that Japanese wikipedia defines as a spiritual phenomena, when a thought or emotion was so strong, it stayed attached to a thing or a place, so that psychics like koudelka can feel it> So here is?

I've seen the term "psychic impression" get used in other stories dealing with the paranormal, but I wonder if it'd be close enough to the Japanese term. Also changing to "So here is?" to "So this is...?" or "So where we're at is...?" is the traditional way of phrasing that sort of incomplete question.

quote:

The space vanishes.
This is a shard of memory. It doesn't last long. But it is (it's) alright. However happy is the moment, it will surely pass and be no more. Farewell. James, Koudelka
That... Elaine! And you two ...

"The space vanished." Just a little past tense needed. "But it's alright. However happy the moment is, it will surely pass and be no more." For some reason, it's more natural in English to phrase the words that way, but it's completely grammatically correct the way you've put it, so it's an optional critique. :v: By the way, what did James mean by "And you two?" Were there two Elaines, one of his memories, one of her spirit? That's the only part that confused me.

quote:

Do you wish to die? If you are (you're) lured in by spirit, you can't return.
. . .
So, have you finished the talking?

Normally there's no reason to put an article in front of "talking," which would turn a verb into a gerund (e.g. "I'm tired of all the yelling, the screaming, and the running away from bears-- I need a break!"), but all considering how smarmy Bacon is, maybe this isn't a grammar mistake at all. Maybe he's just really casually diminutive towards all that psychic stuff that just happened. :allears: An alternative way to write this though would be "So, have you finished talking (yet)?"

quote:

So what do you do? Will you use the Emigre Manuscript?
. . .
What? Well, alright. Although, just a bit, I was anticipating already. This too is due to human curiosity. Hohohoho

"So what will you do?" is the usual way that sort of question gets asked. Meanwhile on the second matter here, it seems like Bacon was expecting James to go ahead and indulge in some good old necromancy :zombie:, so perhaps then to make it less ambiguous, "Although just a bit, I had been expecting/anticipating you to say otherwise."

quote:

I don't care. Elaine waits over there. Is it an end, or a beginning? I don't know. But I do not hesitate anymore. I love you, Elaine.

I have no critique on this part, because honestly I'm very surprised by what I heard in the drama CD, and I'm impressed on what it decided to expand on. I just want to say once more thank you for the wonderful job you've done in providing a translation for what's it contained. I've enjoyed it thoroughly. :golfclap: I'm going to try and add your translations, and summaries to the youtube videos in the next couple of days. Also, I think Elaine knowing about Koudelka's past maybe from that one time she decided to jump in on Koudelka and Alicia airing-out-there-horrible-lives party, so that's the minimum amount of time she's been involved with Koudelka. However, there's always the possibility that there's nothing else to do when you're a disembodied soul other than wait for anybody psychic enough to hear you to be born... :unsmigghh:

I have another post I want to make, but I'll save that one for tomorrow!

EagerSleeper fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Jun 16, 2018

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

Fun trip. I always wondered what this game was all about, and this really explains why it's talked about so fondly.

I think my favorite thing is how the characters react to being horror protagonists by just plugging along and getting poo poo done, while maintaining this weirdly uncomfortable yet entertaining chemistry. It's well written, and the drama, when it emerges, never overstays it's welcome.

Thanks for another great ride, TDI!

Nimsant
May 7, 2015

EagerSleeper posted:

If my critiques have helped before, then let me go ahead and offer some more!

Thanks a lot! There are many tips in your text that I will put to use from now on.

EagerSleeper posted:

"The space vanished." Just a little past tense needed. "But it's alright. However happy the moment is, it will surely pass and be no more." For some reason, it's more natural in English to phrase the words that way, but it's completely grammatically correct the way you've put it, so it's an optional critique. :v: By the way, what did James mean by "And you two?" Were there two Elaines, one of his memories, one of her spirit? That's the only part that confused me.

There should definitely be present tense. Maybe "the space is vanishing" would sound better. And yes, "what happened" question just before that was past tense.

James shouts 'you' in the plural form. Elaine answers with "we" so I added "two" to make that it clear the plural is in the question as well.
I guess from the context that he means Elaine and Patrick.

Now that I tried to transcribe some dialogue myself, I appreciate LP authors even more. It takes a lot of typing, editing, and proofreading to make a decent post.

Confused Llama
Jan 15, 2008
The llama is a quadruped which lives in big rivers like the Amazon. It has two ears, a heart, a forehead, and a beak for eating honey. But it is provided with fins for swimming.

EagerSleeper posted:

"I wanted to make Elaine, who you abandoned, happy." When talking about a person, it would be best to say "who". Using "that" as a pronoun is mostly reserved for animals and objects.

Wellllll... Technically, it should be "I wanted to make Elaine, whom you abandoned, happy." "Who" is the subject pronoun (analogous to "he" or "she"), whereas "whom" is the object pronoun (analogous to "him" or "her"). You would say "you abandoned her," not "you abandoned she." Native speakers who aren't pedants like I am often fail to use "whom" correctly, though, so when you're talking about writing dialogue, it's arguably optional. Hell, people are using "that" to refer to people more and more, too. It drives me crazy every time I watch TV and hear someone say something about a person "that" did something.

EagerSleeper posted:

Similarly, "alright" really isn't a word - it should be "all right" - but that one also seems to be a losing battle.

Nimsant posted:

There should definitely be present tense. Maybe "the space is vanishing" would sound better.

I would say yes, you want to use "is vanishing" there. Usually "is [verb]ing" is better for talking about a specific action currently in progress, whereas the simple present tense is better for a statement that is generally true and doesn't refer to any particular time (e.g., "I am reading the newspaper" means that I'm in the process of doing so right now, whereas "I read the newspaper" means that reading the newspaper is a thing that I do from time to time... though now that I look at this example again, I suppose I should have picked one where the past- and present-tense forms of the verb aren't spelled the same :doh:). The major exception to this is a first-person present-tense narrative, like a first-person short story or novel that is written in the present tense.

And now that I've been dragged out of lurking by grammar chat, thanks for this LP, TDI, and thank you for the translations of the drama CDs, Nimsant! This is a fascinating game that I have no desire to play myself, which is always the very best kind of LP to read.

Confused Llama fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Jun 17, 2018

Nimsant
May 7, 2015

Confused Llama posted:

Native speakers who aren't pedants like I am often fail to use "whom" correctly, though, so when you're talking about writing dialogue, it's arguably optional. Hell, people are using "that" to refer to people more and more, too.

Thank you! It is great to have two opinions from native speakers.
I remember that in my English textbook there was something like "use 'which' for inanimate, use 'who/whom' for animate, if not sure, use 'that' or just skip it, you won't be much wrong".
So I understand no one is going to kill me for typing alright to people who are native English speakers, but I guess you're right that it matters when I don't say the words myself, but transcribe the words of Irish characters.

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]

Nimsant posted:

At first, I thought I can't even do one part like this. TBH, I wanted to give pt. 5 and 6 only as a short summary as well, but the detailed critique from EagerSleeper changed my mind.
As for now, I think I do not want to do that. And the thread will probably be locked before I manage anyway. But maybe I will have a better mood after weekend.

Here comes part 6 of the Drama CD, narrated by James, continued from part 5.

This is cool and interesting. I'll keep the thread open if you wanna finish up. Heck, I can even link it to the OP so it'll get archived alongside the thread eventually.

In other news, unless something disastrous happens a new LP should start in the next few days. I don't think anyone actually watched to the end of that last ending video...

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

Well, I did but didn't wanna break any of the rules you laid out in the op

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
I thought that was just part of the ending.... a real vague "epilogue". Oops.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I just had no idea what it was and the only game that involves a train that comes to mind is RE0... and you've already done that.

Verant
Oct 20, 2012

Go on an adventure ordained by fate?
-->Okay.
-->Eh.
Well, there WAS that train at the start of FFVII...!

In all seriousness, thanks for another great LP, TDI!

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Hey, I recognize that train and that dapper looking fellow...

Jayme
Jul 16, 2008
I didn't actually watch any of the videos this LP since the internet in my new place is complete poo poo, but I went back and watched that last one and now I am super pumped! The archived LP for that game is amazing on its own, but I can't wait to see your take on things.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?
I'm assuming it's Shadow Hearts and have paused my trip through the archives accordingly.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Does the train get suplexed?

Asking for a friend.

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene
I am over the moon about TDI’s next LP. One of those secret RPG gems.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Holy gently caress, I didn't realize that there was that extra part at the end of the video. Things are going to get... interesting. :spooky: I'd like to say thank you to the Dark Id, and everyone who made this thread wonderful with entertaining facts, and great humor. :3:

Oh, and also, I can't find the post in particular about Elaine's soul coming back to her body for just a moment. Since Elaine's spirit was trapped on Earth due to Patrick's horrible experiments with her corpse, I think with the corpse finally being destroyed the link between body and soul came together for the moment it took to experience true death at last.

Confused Llama posted:

Very wonderful grammar chat

Haha, I admit I'm not perfect when it comes to grammar and proper English, but I try. Thank you for correcting me, and for showing that even native speakers still have room for improvement. :)

Nimsant posted:

Using contractions and being cool

Making me proud here. :hfive:

DeTosh
Jan 14, 2010
Slippery Tilde

The Dark Id posted:

In other news, unless something disastrous happens a new LP should start in the next few days. I don't think anyone actually watched to the end of that last ending video...

Now that you mention it, I didn't. And I think I'd rather look forward to being surprised by the next game. Great job on this LP, by the way. I had a lot of fun reading it, and I'm glad to finally learn about Koudelka and all its weirdness.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

curiousCat posted:

I'm assuming it's Shadow Hearts and have paused my trip through the archives accordingly.

:same:

Nimsant
May 7, 2015

The Dark Id posted:

This is cool and interesting. I'll keep the thread open if you wanna finish up. Heck, I can even link it to the OP so it'll get archived alongside the thread eventually.

Now I just have to do it haha

The Youtube subtitle editing engine seems alright and so I have sent some English subtitles to part 1 of the Drama CD. It says it should be approved by the video uploader and Youtube specialists before it's published.
Let's see how this works. I will edit them for BBcode and post here today too I think

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

I remember the old kethryveris LP, but ten years certainly did it a disservice; lots of missing images and Viddler obliterated the videos. Looking forward to this one and the inevitable follow-up.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
drat. Sorry TDI - I didn't watch the end of the video to realise that was what you were doing - I wouldn't have posted the SH things otherwise.

Looking forward to you going through it though :)

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
I thought that was part of the ending myself

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
I definitely recognized it as SH1's opening but I figured it was just a "and the story goes on from there..." sorta deal. Mostly since I thought you expressly said you wouldn't do the later games in the OP.

Though now that I look at it it says "I don’t have plans at the moment to LP all the Shadow Hearts games" so I guess I must've either misunderstood it or that part got edited later. Did you maybe change your mind along the way?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I am looking forward to a revisiting of Yuri's wild ghost punching adventure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
It’s almost full circle because you KNOW Yuri would find TDI’s LP’s to be hilarious

• Locked thread