Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

EagerSleeper posted:

Is Hiroki Kikuta still around, or did he get eaten into video game history obscurity? He seemed like he really worked hard on this game (that I love dearly, flawed development issues aside). Heard he read about 100 history books trying to get the setting right.

He's still around, and apparently even did some of the remastered tracks for the recent Secret of Mana remake.

Said remasters (by him and like, a dozen random doujin music circles) are mostly goofy as hell yet often lovable nonetheless. Much like the remake itself.

I only knew about Koudelka because of the soundtrack, which is on my regular playlists just 'cause it's really chill and catchy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

Gotta wonder if her design was finalized before they even decided on a setting for this game. Like everything here seems off for this exact time and place.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

Pesky Splinter posted:

Her original designs started off more fantastical and colourful, and drifted towards brown. Still fantastical by the standards of 1889, and her social class - acceptable break of reality, of course; they're not going for realism, they're going for that Victorian flavour.

Too bad they rejected the non-white ethnic look. And I'm seriously digging that middle outfit, particularly the jewelry and long cloak. But, rendering that right on the PS1 would've probably been a gigantic pain in the rear end.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

Koudelka's expression in the third-to-last panel.

Well done. :allears:

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

I was kind of ambivalent at first, but now the depth of this narrative is making me want to play Shadow Hearts.

Presumably they actually manage to get wherever this game is going.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

Fun trip. I always wondered what this game was all about, and this really explains why it's talked about so fondly.

I think my favorite thing is how the characters react to being horror protagonists by just plugging along and getting poo poo done, while maintaining this weirdly uncomfortable yet entertaining chemistry. It's well written, and the drama, when it emerges, never overstays it's welcome.

Thanks for another great ride, TDI!

• Locked thread