Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Eureka''s fine but in S9 was the epitome of a filler queen, someone who's not a definite first boot but would have to get lucky to break into the top 3. her aesthetics to me look a bit tacky and art-less i suppose? but at the same time:

esperterra posted:

I honestly can't think of any Ru girl I would say I hate. It's hard to think of one I even just dislike, other than maybe Sasha Velour tbh. I guess I disliked Thorgy on her season but it was more like I found her annoying.

deep down, this is pretty much my feeling on all of the competitors rupaul's drag race. in season 1 or 2, ru said something like, "you go to a club in lipstick and a dress, you're already my hero" and that's pretty much what i reckon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

but at the same time, screeching at the tv with maximum theatrics, half-drunk and way over-invested in the outcome, is the only way to watch Drag Race

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

would unironically love this

edit: or just TOOT under the av

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Chaotic Flame posted:

Kitty Girls!

Alternatively: We're pussy bitch

rrrrrrrrraka tatiti ta ta

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Shneak posted:

I am unreasonably excited that we're getting Untucked on TV again tonight.

truth. last season untucked was way funner than the main event

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

maybe spoilers till the day after the ep airs is good? just cuz of different timezones etc

i mean generally dont read the thread if u dont wanna be spoiled i guess

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Nihonniboku posted:

Also, I am really curious to know if Christina is angry that she didn't get the same kind of treatment that Gaga got last season.

at least she didn't get Kudrow'd

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Aquaria's one sided feud is annoying because Vixen seemed to be bangin the drum hardest in untucked. and Cracker has serious chops so watching them get tall poppy syndrome is gonna be really infuriating!

Monet's look seemed surprisingly bad to me: in the workroom it kept looking amazing but that whole bottom half was a disaster.

god drat great first episode though.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

can someone gif Vanjie Mateo giving one tiny percent of a poo poo when Ru tells her she's special after deciding to eliminate her? total lack of reaction to the ceremonial niceness made me wish she stuck around a lot

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Pan Dulce posted:

Whether or not she shows up in a box next season or in All Stars, I just need assurance somehow that I'll see her somewhere because she was so cool! Seeing her leave on Untucked was heartbreaking. Especially when I don't think her look was the worst. There was a queen with blue and green pool noodles and not much else on. That one. That one was the worst to me and it was SAFE.

The Vixen. overall i think she had the weakest first ep: her looks were all over the place and she seems eager to stir up drama that doesn't involve her in untucked

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

miss vaaaaaaaaaaannnnngie. man so far this season has been loving great and even the previews for the next week are off the chain

hahaha watching this intro, i'm like "poor Aquaria". i think she made a huge mistake of exaggerating a situation around the Vixen and now it's blown up into drama city. Miz Cracker's playing it smart by not really engaging until pressed directly.

also thank gently caress we are having mini-challenges again. i love the goofy sort of character-building moments they add to the show.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Aphra Bane posted:

lol at Monet continuing to defend that godawful sponge dress. Delusion, convince yourself etc

for real. as soon as she came on screen my partner was singing WHOOOOOO LIVES IN A PINEAPPLE UNDER THE SEA and i loving lost it

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

I put the enema kit in the bucket at the top of the well as dida ritz wails from deep below. I smile knowing her cries are for me and only me

christ. when are we going to see Jame Gumb in snatch game

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

hahaha for some reason eureka havin a big sulk in untucked, in a spare room full of sewing machine boxes, is hysterical and surreal. she has such a ceiling on how far she can go and i dont think its her inner saboteur or nothing; the artistry just isn't there!

man theres a lot of good queens this season too. i think this season is really showing how the bar has been raised since RPDR has been on the air

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

QuickbreathFinisher posted:

E:
Vixen winning that challenge in a dress that was done better multiple times before, including this season by loving Eureka Bodysuit O'Hara, was wild. I liked Vixen in untucked but her looks so far have all been questionable at best.

truth. pool noodle poo poo shoulda been in the bottom last time round

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Dear Prudence posted:

Y'all are stupid harsh on Eureka. I totally understand her hesitancy. She's a big girl to begin with and sometimes just walking when you're that large can be scary, much less in heels. I'd be scared of breaking my knee again too. Her fear is real and she clearly hates herself for not just being able to get over it. It sucks having PTSD because you want so bad to just be able to go go go but your anxiety holds you back. I feel bad for her.

i can sort of get that but dancing and pageantry is apparently the thing she's best at. she ain't funny, her designs are a bit whack and if i see another bodysuit itll be too soon.
even if she could dance, she'd be lucky to make top 3 in any recent season of rpdr.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

sturdy?

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Santino also had some short-lived video series on maintaining a raw food healthy diet, in which his skin colour was closer to a simpsons character than a healthy human being

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

cant wait for the "I Get Wet" lsfyl

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

vanjie was robbed but more importantly, i think we were. she rocks. i LOVE her voice

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Whalley posted:

I'm dying for snatch game this season. There's a lot of loving talent and I have no idea who half the people will choose.

i am looking forward to, as always, half of them being unrecognizable disasters

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

zelah posted:

I think that’s just a regular dog. “Downsy” is pretty gross.

I know that they showed Ru cracking up with Michelle about Miss...Vanjie, but I wonder if it was apparent when filming how much of a fan favorite she would be. I’m not sure if I’d rather her come back for AS4 or a surprise on S11.

surely when they heard her cool kermit tones in the talking heads of the episode, they knew. she just sounds FUN.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

esperterra posted:

Farrah looking so much like Christina was why I loved her early on, then her silly whiny attitude made her even more endearing to me. That and she loves Dolly Parton.

theres a few queens from s9 who i actually find really fun and memorable and farrah is chief among them. just so unashamedly high-gloss! i really think s9 suffered from a bad edit; the reunion show seemed legitimately spiced up

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

i am not sure if i'm asking this without being culturally ignorant or insensitive - it's not my intent at all - but does Thailand have a pretty prominent cultural history of gender-bent performance? because i guess this would contribute to the queens in DRT being basically insanely polished, compelling performance figures.

but i am pretty clueless about thai culture (and specifically relating to this, the 'kathoey' / 'ladyboy' gender) so maybe someone more informed than me can comment

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

preview for next week

http://www.vh1.com/video-clips/5j21f6/rupauls-drag-race-first-look-tap-that-app

monique's still cranky about her critiques, but in the immortal words of trixie, "that's a lot of emotion for safe".

ru sounds like he's got a cold or is dosed up to the eyeballs on some sort of tranq. but man! that mini-challenge brought a tear to my eye. these girls are great!! it could have easily been very annoying and unwatchable garbage, and i mean, it still kind of was, but i loved it? i think i have fallen in love with boy vixen's look in the talking heads.

combined with her success in the mini-challenge, monique's talking heads make me think she's either cruising for a bottom-two bruising or a win this episode. monet vs yuhua is something i didn't see coming.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

zelah posted:

Does Ru have a cold or something?

classic Pearl inspiration for the workroom

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Nihonniboku posted:

It's fun seeing the queens interact, but the show is pretty bad. What we need is a late night round table show starring the queens, maybe have a couple of them be semi-permanent co-hosts, with a rotating cast of regular guest co-hosts, and a spot for a celebrity.

that would be a GREAT show. basically late night, populated with drag queens. finally we can put the weird interviewer challenges from earlier seasons of rpdr to use!

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

hahahahaha Ru sounds absolutely hosed from start to finish this episode and when she's naming the queens on the runway, its absolutely hilarious. i hope she recovers tho

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

misc thoughts:

the tiger jumper is the best carson's ever looked on this show. loving hell carson!!!

eureka was good in the challenge i think? but her runway and workroom stuff was still kind of infuriating. i cant get onboard the eureka fan train!!!

the judging this season has been great. guest judges have been fun and involved! 90m runtimes are dope!

i love love love the vixen. she is great television and should get some sort of fight night roundtable show where her and other queens just argue at one another.

untucked episode is some 10/10 amazing television. i want to unpack the conversation but will give it a night to dwell on it a bit. i will say watching yuhua pack up was a really sad departure. i didnt expect her to go so soon

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

resting mitch face posted:

Courtney looked really good. I'm glad she settled on a face. Or her face has settled? Her voice was a bit slurry tho, I hope she's doing okay. I'm not even trying to be funny, she sounds like my husband's stepmom after she had a stroke. Stay safe, CLove.

ru sounded much, much worse

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

ALFbrot posted:

I'm fairly certain Yuhua didn't understand the term "Butterface," she kept wanting the intro to be about health, made her bit about exercise aptitude, and didn't seem to understand her need to commit to ugliness.

this makes a lot of sense but is also hilarious

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Watrick posted:

The Vixen NEEDS to stay til least top 5 to keep some much needed spice that the show has been missing for so long. I'd normally be against what she is doing , but it doesn't come off as malicious. Per Ru, drag queens have big personalities and can be obsessed with themselves. The Vixen seems to hold up a big clean mirror and say "look now, bitch". Her methodology is oddly therapeutic. [/Spoiler]

strong agree. even if you think she's a loose cannon, she's given the show a real shot in the arm

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

happy birthday RAVEN, the robbed all-star and official fifth heather

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Watrick posted:

I want to note that Aquaria can go anytime. She rubs me the wrong way in every direction. Her 'I'm a star' attitude comes off more as an inferiority complex than being confident. I also don't care about the feud with Miz Cracker. Cracker is infinitely more capable in every facet of drag, especially humor and being reverent. Aquaria so far has demonstrated that she is completely deficient in those areas.

i want her to win a challenge and gloat over the Vixen first just so the drama levels are cranked to 1,000,000

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

esperterra posted:

I can understand some of Tyra's hostility, her only claim to fame is she 'robbed' Raven and people still won't let her live it down/routinely poo poo on her win to this day. Buuuuuut she's always been a bitch.

i think its the difference between making being a hoity toity bitch part of your brand, and actually being pleasant and professional to work with. given that its entirely her peers always calling her out, she must have crossed a few lines with a fair few of em.

what i guess im saying is, bring her back for the next all star season ru!

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

i don't think Raven was robbed in S2, she was pretty intermittently great and was pretty shakey at the start. a lot of Tyra's looks (that loving wedding gown) are just insane. Raven was definitely robbed in AS1, though. the last episode comic book superhero look is the most bullshit decision in a tv show full of shennanigans.

but it's hard to hold that against a lovely pro like Chad Michaels so i lay the blame at Ru's step. anyways let's revisit this gem, as an preview of Tatianna's charisma, uniqueness, nerve and talent:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TICsuDUO5qA

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

:( and i thought australia had it bad.

it was just the classic S2 runway

"I don't think that you're seeing that Tyra's a complete bitch"
"Well that was frank"
"Thankyou"

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

Tati :30bux: was :30bux: robbed

hahahahaha it really is the gift that keeps giving

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

preview for tomorrow's ep is here!

http://www.vh1.com/news/356001/monique-confronts-mayhem-drag-race-sneak-peek/

monique vs mayhem is drama that i don't really care about, but it's good to know that there's enough sass and bitchiness to carry the season on once the Vixen and Aquaria implode. i still love Monique's crazy expressive eyebrows.

monet xchange wants to show ru "what's poppin" - might indicate she's either gonna win a challenge (which would be great!! i want a season where every queen can win a challenge and there's some actual competition!) or she's headed for the bottom this episode.

the minichallenge doesn't bring many lols, but "you're like a bonus jonas aren't you" is a pretty great ru-ism. also PIT CREW ALUMNI! love it.

'last ball on earth' is a good multiple-look runway. and because it's a glorious 90 minutes, we'll ideally get plenty of critiques and runway time. this season is good. i am living!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

esperterra posted:

girl if they don't do man i feel like a woman i'll flip

any other choice would be a mistake

but, "choices", as they say.

• Locked thread