Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Welcome, fans of hip nerd cultural icon Magic: The Gathering.

For 2018, Wizards of the Coast is introducing a new format: BRAWL.

A gross, disfigured hybrid of Standard and EDH Commander, Brawl is WotC's attempt to make a Commander-like format that can be ported to the upcoming Magic: the Gathering -
Arena
(and also backported to MODO, for the 3 people left playing it).

The rules are fairly simple:
  • 60-card singleton. No duplicates except basic lands. 59 in the deck, 1 commander.
  • Only standard legal cards. No banned standard cards.
  • 1 Legendary Creature or Planeswalker selected as your commander starts the game in the command zone.
  • Deck conforms to commander color identity: Card in your deck may only contain colored mana symbols in their cost or rules text that are also in your commander's cost or rules text.
  • Players start with 30 life.
  • In multiplayer games, players get 1 free mull to 7 and first player also draws on turn 1.
  • Your commander may be cast from the command zone. Their cost is increased by {2} for each time they have been cast from the command zone this game.
  • "If your commander is countered or leaves the battlefield, you may put it back into the command zone instead of putting it anywhere else it would go."

Things that are not in the rules:
  • Commander damage
  • What happens if your commander changes zone in any way other than being countered or leaving the battlefield. For instance: Commit//Memory

Helpful links:

Things this thread is not for:
  • Whining about your lovely dead pet format.
  • Whining about Arena/MODO.
  • Whining about anything, really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
I actually don't think it's a terrible idea. I don't really like that it's standard and rotating, but 60 card singleton with commander rules seems cool and good.

comedy option: Karn as commander. Can you even build a good deck in this format that's absolutely colorless?

Realistically I could see myself building a deck around one of the bug Gods or Jhoira or something.

Framboise fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Mar 23, 2018

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Matsuri posted:

Can you even build a good deck in this format that's absolutely colorless?

Technically, yes, but it will be awful because you'll have like 20 lands.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender
I'm on board for this format.

I had previously built a series of decks to play with friends casually that followed Duel Deck construction rules -- max 2 of any given common/uncommon, max 1 of any rare/mythic, and a general split of 7 rares / 13 uncommons / 17 commons, with decks covering everything from planeswalkers to guilds. We tweaked them for balance over time and they're a blast to play with. This format feels very similar, and I'm looking forward to A. building a deck for it and trying it out, and B. adapting my older decks to a similar structure, even if they won't be purely standard legal (I'll compensate by balancing them internally).

My guess is I'll start by looking at the planeswalker batch. I'm interested to see if there's anything worth doing with the planeswalkers who have multiple signature spells from planeswalker decks already in standard. Probably not enough there, but that won't stop me from trying.

e: Re: Karn, yeah, you're kind of screwed without Wastelands in the format.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Preliminary decklist:

https://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/the-god-pharoahs-brawl-1/?cb=1521776145

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

seems to be 404'd

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Matsuri posted:

seems to be 404'd

Fixed

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
What's a good Commander with a WB color identity that I can use to make a durdly-assed valuetown deck in this format

RembrandtQEinstein
Jul 1, 2009

A GOD, A MESSIAH, AN ARCHANGEL, A KING, A PRINCE, AND AN ALL TERRAIN VEHICLE.

Jenny Angel posted:

What's a good Commander with a WB color identity that I can use to make a durdly-assed valuetown deck in this format

Under that color identity, Kambal or Vona. (There are only 3 options, lol)

e: I guess if you're going for durdle then perhaps Elenda is a better option.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Seems to me the limited cardpool will make most "competitive" decks in the format feel quite similar.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

There are 19 mana-producing lands with a colorless identity in standard including dominaria spoilers, we might get one or two more but that's still pretty drat bleak. Best case scenario is they reprint wastes but I don't really see that happening anytime soon tbh.

Jenny Angel posted:

Here you go.

Kambal and Vona are likely your best bets.

Rinkles posted:

Seems to me the limited cardpool will make most "competitive" decks in the format feel quite similar.

Yeah it's just gonna be a bunch of durdly midrange-control piles with no solid theme. Maybe Merfolk tribal or some poo poo will be good enough but who knows.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Momentary blink is illegal isn't it? Being white and all.

e: also Cast Out

TheTofuShop
Aug 28, 2009

toshimos list posted:

Cast Out -> Cast Down Momentary Blink -> Blink of an Eye

DOM not yet implemented.

they're placeholders

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Oh right, missed that

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

Best thing I can think of for this off the top of my head is UB Scarab God Eternalize Valuetown.

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god
If this format ends up being more fun than Standard, I see myself wanting to be the Timmy of my LGS who always brings in Zacama or Gishath as my Commander.

(Also, that thread title is the best :allears: )

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer
I am interested in this product or format. Will Planeswalkers be much more powerful compared to Legendary Creatures though?

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Smashing Link posted:

I am interested in this product or format. Will Planeswalkers be much more powerful compared to Legendary Creatures though?

Depends on whether the creature or the planeswalker is good or not.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Toshimo posted:

(and also backported to MODO, for the 3 people left playing it).

Whining about Arena/MODO.

Is MTGO really dying? (not whining, just curious)

As for Brawl, it looks ok. Is it intended for 1v1 or multiplayer?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Gynovore posted:

Is MTGO really dying? (not whining, just curious)

Expect MODO to be dead once Arena launches. People aren't going to invest in 3 ecosystems (paper, MODO, Arena).

Gynovore posted:

As for Brawl, it looks ok. Is it intended for 1v1 or multiplayer?

The stated intent from Gavin is multi, but we'll see if that's actually a thing on Arena (the actual target of the format).

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer

Matsuri posted:

Depends on whether the creature or the planeswalker is good or not.

Come to think if it this might be the time to start speccing on planeswalkers that might be popular in this new format. It seems the 3 color ones in particular may see prices rise.

EDIT: I have made a terrible mistake

Smashing Link fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Mar 23, 2018

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

Smashing Link posted:

Come to think if it this might be the time to start speccing on planeswalkers that might be popular in this new format. It seems the 3 color ones in particular may see prices rise.

edit: just picked up 10x Tamiyo and Sarkhan each -- feeling a huge rush, this is like gambling

Neither of those are standard legal tho?

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

This is my first, probably really bad attempt at putting together a deck for this format

Commander
1x Scarab God
Creatures
1x Walking Ballista
1x Ornithopter
1x Mist Cloaked Herald
1x Slither Blade
1x Dusk Legion Zealot
1x Kitesail Freebooter
1x Warkite Marauder
1x Champion of Wits
1x Yahenni, Undying Partisan
1x Bone Picker
1x Hostage Taker
1x Ravenous Chupacabra
1x Noxious Gearhulk
1x Tetzimoc, Primal Death
Enchantment
1x Arguel’s Blood Fast
1x Riddleform
1x Search for Azcanta
1x Waterknot
1x Torment of Scarabs

Instant
1x Fatal Push
1x Opt
1x Unsummon
1x Essence Scatter
1x Negate
1x Rush of Vitality
1x Disallow
1x Supreme Will
1x Vraska’s Contempt
1x Hour of Glory
1x Hieroglyphic Illumination
Sorcery
1x Walk The Plank
1x Chart a course
1x Bontu’s Last Reckoning
Artifact
1x Cultivator’s Caravan
1x God Pharoah’s Gift
1x Panharmonicon
1x The Immortal Sun
1x Treasure Map
Land
1x Evolving Wilds
1x Drowned Catacomb
1x Fetid Pools
9x island
9x swamp

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Retromancer posted:

Neither of those are standard legal tho?

I would absolutely love to play Bant Tamiyo though. :smith:

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!
Maybe I'm an idiot, but it seems like Wizards created Brawl to have a version of Commander which they have full control over, as opposed to Sheldon 'n' friends.

Or maybe they would just rather have us using the $ever-rotating$ Standard cardset.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Gynovore posted:

Maybe I'm an idiot, but it seems like Wizards created Brawl to have a version of Commander which they have full control over, as opposed to Sheldon 'n' friends.

Or maybe they would just rather have us using the $ever-rotating$ Standard cardset.

Watch you don't cut yourself on that edge. They made it so that they can have a Commander-style format on Arena.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender
Does land math change for a 59 card deck?

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Toshimo posted:

Watch you don't cut yourself on that edge. They made it so that they can have a Commander-style format on Arena.

This is ultimately why I'm cool with it. I'm probably not going to play brawl in paper because keeping up with standard is kind of a pain, but if I can F2P it from home, it has my attention.

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
wake me up when the bug gods rotate out lol

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
I've thrown together a bad Hapatra go-wide for brawl. Fortunately built mostly out of the leavings from draft and the sealed pre-releases. This seems like an interesting experiment.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
Well this was literally my first thought when I heard this format's announcement and lo and behold a test game or two of it on cockatrice proved it as miserable as I was expecting

quote:

// Standard Brawl

// 59 Maindeck
// 4 Artifact
1 Thaumatic Compass
1 Azor's Gateway
1 Sorcerous Spyglass
1 Heart of Kiran

// 9 Creature
1 Cataclysmic Gearhulk
1 Zetalpa, Primal Dawn
1 Angel of Sanctions
1 Regal Caracal
1 Oketra the True
1 Aven Mindcensor
1 Tocatli Honor Guard
1 Djeru, With Eyes Open
1 Kinjalli's Sunwing

// 11 Enchantment
1 Legion's Landing
1 Gideon's Intervention
1 Gideon's Resolve
1 Cast Out
1 Ixalan's Binding
1 Pious Interdiction
1 Desert's Hold
1 Thopter Arrest
1 Baffling End
1 Compulsory Rest
1 Authority of the Consuls

// 5 Instant
1 Divine Verdict
1 Settle the Wreckage
1 Forsake the Worldly
1 Sandblast
1 Impeccable Timing

// 21 Land
1 Desert of the True
1 Shefet Dunes
1 Arch of Orazca
1 Scavenger Grounds
17 Plains

// 1 Planeswalker
1 Gideon, Martial Paragon

// 8 Sorcery
1 Approach of the Second Sun
1 Hour of Revelation
1 Fumigate
1 Legion's Judgment
1 Oketra's Last Mercy
1 Slaughter the Strong
1 Fragmentize
1 Dusk

// 1 Sideboard
SB: 1 Gideon of the Trials

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Pls define "miserable", because it looks like your deck rolls over immediately to countermagic, which is indeed miserable in a control-heavy environment.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Toshimo posted:

Pls define "miserable", because it looks like your deck rolls over immediately to countermagic, which is indeed miserable in a control-heavy environment.

I mean so does nearly every non-blue deck in existence?

I mean I'll admit that I literally just shoved every white gently caress-you into the deck without much planning or tuning but it seems to be working currently.

I put as much effort into this as this format warrants.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
My group of friends is going to try out an alternate to the Brawl format next week. The idea of a limited card pool isn't bad, compared to the ocean of EDH/Commander, but none of us play the current standard. We all had eras during which we did play standard though (often different eras), so we're going to play build-your-own-brawl where each player picks a standard/type 2 format from the past for their Brawl deck.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Toshimo posted:

Expect MODO to be dead once Arena launches. People aren't going to invest in 3 ecosystems (paper, MODO, Arena).

The stated intent from Gavin is multi, but we'll see if that's actually a thing on Arena (the actual target of the format).

Arena won't have cube therefore arena is bad.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender
Cross-post from the MtG thread, but this
https://twitter.com/jay13x/status/9...D964%23lastpost

has me thinking she might be a good Brawl Commander, since she can repeatedly fetch you Teferi

Propitious Jerk
Sep 13, 2010

Corbeau posted:

My group of friends is going to try out an alternate to the Brawl format next week. The idea of a limited card pool isn't bad, compared to the ocean of EDH/Commander, but none of us play the current standard. We all had eras during which we did play standard though (often different eras), so we're going to play build-your-own-brawl where each player picks a standard/type 2 format from the past for their Brawl deck.

I played a few Modern brawl games with my buddies on the weekend and it was pretty fun. It seemed to flow a bit more quickly than our usual commander games, and sticking to modern meant there wasn't as much degenerate fast mana. I played a poking-the-bears megrim deck with Angrath, the Flame Chained and a Selesnya tokens deck with Huatli, Radiant Champion.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:

TheChirurgeon posted:

has me thinking she might be a good Brawl Commander, since she can repeatedly fetch you Teferi

Why not cut out the middle woman and just make Teferi your commander?

Ps- Teferi owns

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

whydirt posted:

Why not cut out the middle woman and just make Teferi your commander?

Ps- Teferi owns

Because she can pull Teferi from the graveyard and she's cheaper to cast, with a 2/2 body.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Propitious Jerk
Sep 13, 2010

TheChirurgeon posted:

I sorta wish she could search for any Teferi planeswalker so she could grab the Dominara Teferi as well, but that would probably be pretty broken.

• Locked thread