Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
There's a Real Big Thing on the empty continent that I've heard the story doesn't even explain, that seems ripe for the DLC to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Infinity Gaia posted:

OK, but explain the Hydropolis time loop tho.

it's magic, we ain't gotta explain poo poo :smugwizard:

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

precision posted:

There's a Real Big Thing on the empty continent that I've heard the story doesn't even explain, that seems ripe for the DLC to me.

I found a ghost that actually gave that a backstory (a two line backstory) but yeah I wouldn't be surprised if something like that happens

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

precision posted:

Yeah I don't get the "unfinished" feeling yet (chapter 6), I think what some are feeling as unfinished were deliberate design decisions. The lack of enemy variety goes along with the Battle Template only having 6 enemy types on it. The one continent having less stuff than the other seems like a pretty important baked-in part of the lore, not an "oh poo poo we're out of time" situation.

The battle template has six enemy archetypes. In the tutorial for it you get told things like "Sturdy enemies, such as..." but the list of enemies it gives you are all the sturdy enemies that exist in the game!

It's not so much that it feels unfinished. It just feels like stuff was cut. There's still a beginning a middle and an end but the content is spread a bit sparsely over it. Like I said before the Abyss is the biggest example of this - why does it not have any sort of underwatery themed enemies in it?

Amppelix posted:

I found a ghost that actually gave that a backstory (a two line backstory) but yeah I wouldn't be surprised if something like that happens

Yea a ghost in a smashed up shrine tells you about it.
There's a bit in a smashed shrine where a ghost tells you it died six months ago - and you think how the gently caress is that possible when I just cast a spell to rejuvenate this shrine?

Hydropolis wise:
If it was going to make sense they'd need to have other people mention it. And it just isn't mentioned, ever. Why's it okay for me to come into the city?
Why do the Hydropolis people know about the Labyrinth if that's the place that the original city was destroyed?

It just makes no sense at all.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Rascyc posted:

they are in a time loop but she isn't going to renew the spell the next time it comes up, because of this they lift the conditions and every one is free to do whatever they want. How they got as far as they did without an accident is anyone's guess!

I'm not arguing that it makes sense in general, but that part at least was explained by one of the guys you have to talk to as part of the quest chain. Big old eye watching that sees through walls. Anyone so much as flirts and the alarms go off.

Overall I like the game so far. Just diving back into the story after sidequest cleanup in chapter 6. The narrative is kinda trashy but the exploration and kingdom building is nice. Coming fresh off a Persona 5 rereplay it's also nice not slogging through hours between each plot point. The only parts that really annoy me are the constant jaunts back to town to empty the coffers, having the dumb multiple gathering buildings, and the combat falling apart as soon as something with instant attacks/giant hitboxes/both is in play.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Amppelix posted:

I thought the only time the game's story was at all interesting was like the very first 30 minutes. It hasn't been unpleasant at any point either, though. Just very very... standard.

E: Oh my god I've gone like 20 game hours, and most of my kingdom built, without the "cheaper buildings" research option because I thought I didn't have anyone with the ability required, when it turns out it's just that loving lumberjack guy who I adamantly refused to remove from the lumberyard and somehow never looked at the skill name of.

I can honestly see myself never noticing that until I've got literally all of the citizens and begin to wonder if I maybe missed something. Oh jesus.

story was fun the first hour so, passable from chapters 1 to 4, and atrocious from chapter 5 onwards

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Mailer posted:

Overall I like the game so far. Just diving back into the story after sidequest cleanup in chapter 6. The narrative is kinda trashy but the exploration and kingdom building is nice. Coming fresh off a Persona 5 rereplay it's also nice not slogging through hours between each plot point. The only parts that really annoy me are the constant jaunts back to town to empty the coffers, having the dumb multiple gathering buildings, and the combat falling apart as soon as something with instant attacks/giant hitboxes/both is in play.

The multiple gathering buildings are annoying to me because it doesn't really explain them. Why not just let me continually upgrade my one instead of having mining camp 4 and 5 right by one another and being unsure why that's a thing?

babypolis posted:

story was fun the first hour so, passable from chapters 1 to 4, and atrocious from chapter 5 onwards

I still enjoy the story. It's like a fairy tale.
It's just the bits that don't make sense, like Hydropolis. Or Zip suddenly being beloved by his populace when all he's done is be a bellend. Or the cupsword!

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Taear posted:

The multiple gathering buildings are annoying to me because it doesn't really explain them. Why not just let me continually upgrade my one instead of having mining camp 4 and 5 right by one another and being unsure why that's a thing?

I finished chapter six and was introduced to multiple non-gathering buildings. It's like some guy put together how the castle would get bigger and then someone else was left to fill in all the negative space. The coffer limit is a weird choice too, like they expected you to rush the story and not do the kingdom until postgame. The distance between points when you can return tends to be either A) around two minutes or B) long enough that you're wasting cash. There's no in-between. If you want to save up you need to leave the game running and go do something else (like posting here bitching about it) because doing more content tends to railroad you into long trips away from your kingdom where you can't catch the coffers in time.

Edit: To be fairrrr... I just noticed at level 3 you get multiple coffer upgrades. With the next one, at my current rate, it'll take 4.5 hours to fill up. That's pretty good, though I wish they hadn't locked it to chapter 7. Those multiple upgrades would have been sweet earlier.

On the subject of chapter six, I've got another thing to add to my relatively short list of hates. I spent like an hour on the second floor flipping switches because the puzzle secret was that instead of the usual invisible wall when you can obviously make a jump... you could make a jump at one point.

Mailer fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Apr 15, 2018

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

The worst puzzle place in the game is in Ding Dong Dell.
You're in the sewers and you have to light braziers to carry on. They're timed in between.
There's one where it's a snakey path with holes in between that you should be able to jump but it won't let you. Instead you HAVE to walk it, meaning that there's an alternative way to get to the brazier and do the puzzle.

Why make it snakey when you can't jump it? It's really frustrating, especially since the gaps in the floor are so tiny you could step over them.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Is Dazzleslash (or the powered up Mornstar's Edge to be more specific) not one of the most satisfying moves to hit with ever in any videogame? I'm pretty sure it is. I made sure to finish off the final boss with it.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

It's pretty nice but I like it better when I manage to land an entire Executive Takedown. Not that that happens too often.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
I wasn’t interested in this game until I saw it had almost a 90 on opencritic and all the reviews except one were glowing. Then I play it for myself and find that it’s one of the worst rpgs I’ve played in years. Most I if it was covered already but it’s all true, the combat is bad, the story is poorly written and there’s a ton of things that don’t make sense, the characters aren’t fleshed out at all, there’s only a handful of enemies, the map is empty and what is there is just template caves.

Don’t trust game reviews is the takeaway I guess.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Overbite posted:

I wasn’t interested in this game until I saw it had almost a 90 on opencritic and all the reviews except one were glowing. Then I play it for myself and find that it’s one of the worst rpgs I’ve played in years. Most I if it was covered already but it’s all true, the combat is bad, the story is poorly written and there’s a ton of things that don’t make sense, the characters aren’t fleshed out at all, there’s only a handful of enemies, the map is empty and what is there is just template caves.

Don’t trust game reviews is the takeaway I guess.

It is good and it deserves the reviews.
It just shows you need to not rely entirely on the scores and read through, see if you find things in there you don't like. Lots of them mention how easy it is and how few monsters there are and etc.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

It is a good game that I am enjoying. There are flaws and they are obvious but they are not flaws that prevent me from enjoying it. The combat is fine and only breaks in edge cases which is good enough for me. The story is fine and childlike to match the art and goofy nature which basically ever level-5 game has had. It's a good game.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

I just remembered for the first time in ages that Tani has a steal skill. Has anyone actually ever stolen anything, or better yet anything worthwhile? I tried it for a time and then decided this can't possibly be worth the skill slot.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
it's been on my list of things to experiment with but doing the skirmish trophy killed any will i had to play the game more

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Amppelix posted:

I just remembered for the first time in ages that Tani has a steal skill. Has anyone actually ever stolen anything, or better yet anything worthwhile? I tried it for a time and then decided this can't possibly be worth the skill slot.

You steal the same things you get from killing monsters, so it's probably only useful against bosses like in most JRPGs unless you're doing a quest that needs a rare item and don't have good luck with your buildings.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

My party at the beginning: Evan, Roland, Tani
My party right now: Evan, Roland, Tani

I've never purchased a new ability, let alone knew that Tani could steal items. :v:

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Live a little!

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Mailer posted:

My party at the beginning: Evan, Roland, Tani
My party right now: Evan, Roland, Tani

I've never purchased a new ability, let alone knew that Tani could steal items. :v:

It's sort of worth buying the spells! Although depressing when one gets totally outclassed by some random ability you get when you level up.

I dropped Roland as soon as I got Tani and Batu because he used the same weapons as me but it feels weird. Almost like he's the main character who I've sidelined.

Taear fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Apr 16, 2018

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop
Man, I am perplexed by the negative impressions people have with this game.

Oh well, to each their own. I haven't finished the game, but I think it's at...Ch. 9? So far, still enjoying it. Rocking Evan, Tani, and Braken at the moment and for a while actually, and I spent 90% of the time of this game kingdom-building, as I'm a sucker for this stuff. Crafting gear and weapons, upgrading Higgeldys and spells as much as I can.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

I spent 90% of the time of this game kingdom-building, as I'm a sucker for this stuff. Crafting gear and weapons, upgrading Higgeldys and spells as much as I can.

This. I've researched tons of stuff, though I'm a bit hamstrung in several buildings (chapter 7) due to the game gating you with who you can recruit. It's a bit of a downer knowing that because of how the castle expands your buildings are now trash and you need to chase the next upgraded building. The weapons/armor constantly lag behind what I get in drops so those buildings have been empty and unloved for a while. It still feels like they expect you to hit the postgame and do all this stuff there.

One area I'd like to praise (assuming it doesn't massively change after chapter 7) is the sidequest density. They don't take so long and the game doesn't bury you in them, but there's enough to pad out the game a fair amount.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

Mailer posted:

This. I've researched tons of stuff, though I'm a bit hamstrung in several buildings (chapter 7) due to the game gating you with who you can recruit. It's a bit of a downer knowing that because of how the castle expands your buildings are now trash and you need to chase the next upgraded building. The weapons/armor constantly lag behind what I get in drops so those buildings have been empty and unloved for a while. It still feels like they expect you to hit the postgame and do all this stuff there.

One area I'd like to praise (assuming it doesn't massively change after chapter 7) is the sidequest density. They don't take so long and the game doesn't bury you in them, but there's enough to pad out the game a fair amount.

I felt the same way about the crafted gear/weapons vs. loot dropped/found in dungeons, but I think you're just about around the time where you're about to expand your gathering sources and bazaars so that you getting the resources to craft better stuff. I'm in Ch. 9, and my current party, with the exception of maybe one or two weapons, are mostly equipped with crafted gear.

Also I think you should either be at the point or close to building the resources to make the Dreamer's Doors laughably easy.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

This game's only truly unforgivable sin is that it did the Final Fantasy XII thing: it filled the world with a bunch of interesting-looking non-human species but then all the party members are just humans, with the exception of one person with animal ears. :colbert: Shoulda replaced Batu with a dog person from Goldpaw, maybe make Leander a merman or something.

That said, I finished the story and had a good time with the game in general, but I still really think the combat system is... it's just not good. The core of the combat system is really good, but the issues are that the hitboxes are extremely bad and there's little variety in enemy types and party members.

For me, it's almost enough that it just plain feels good to play. That's a really important thing and they pulled that off. The lack of party member and enemy variety is disappointing, but not unforgivable--there are plenty of games I love with less-than-ideal enemy variety (Breath of the Wild and Nioh, for example).

But hoo boy, those hitboxes. Most of the story content is easy enough that it doesn't matter that much (with the exception of a couple of level spikes) but against some of the tainted monsters, it's really frustrating. The enemy that drew my attention to it was the big ogre you fight as solo Evan before you get Lofty: he has this huge leaping attack that looks like it'll only hit you if he lands on you, but it actually functions as a ground-level charge attack. That means that if you're on the ground and along his path, you're getting hit, even though it looks like he sails over your head. In that early game fight it's dumb but not too big of a deal because he does like 30 damage anyway, but there's at least one tainted monster that uses that model/move set and that one will take off half of your HP if you get hit (assuming you're around his level when you fight him). And you're going to get hit, because the attack has little wind-up and the hit box has absolutely no visual tell--if you're under him or even to his side, you still might get hit.

That's not the only example, but it's definitely the most egregious. And when there's only a handful of enemy types, and a few of them have this awful hitbox issues, it doesn't really make for a very fun experience.

Also they probably needed to go back to the drawing board on skill design. Once you're in the late-game, any skill that roots you in place for longer than a second is a terrible skill (which means just about any of the flashy late-game skills). By the endgame I reverted to just using Kingspin and basic shoot-a-projectile spells on Evan, and Leander really doesn't need anything other than Gorgon's Needle (seriously, that spell is crazy strong).

Harrow fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Apr 16, 2018

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I played as Tani mostly and two of her ranged skills were insanely op to the point there was no reason to use anything else.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Harrow posted:

Also they probably needed to go back to the drawing board on skill design. Once you're in the late-game, any skill that roots you in place for longer than a second is a terrible skill (which means just about any of the flashy late-game skills). By the endgame I reverted to just using Kingspin and basic shoot-a-projectile spells on Evan, and Leander really doesn't need anything other than Gorgon's Needle (seriously, that spell is crazy strong).

The correct attitude is that the cooler a skill looks the more worth it it is to use. Also, the enemies actually give plenty of opportunities to rev up your insane-recovery-time skills so it's not really a trouble. I went through the entire endgame dazzleslashing fools for 10k+ damage and it was great. Also this way I probably had more fun with the battle system than if I just stuck to the most practical options.

E: it's good to have at least one quick skill equipped though, so you can spam it relentlessly when awakened. That's also fun.

Amppelix fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Apr 16, 2018

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

I felt the same way about the crafted gear/weapons vs. loot dropped/found in dungeons, but I think you're just about around the time where you're about to expand your gathering sources and bazaars so that you getting the resources to craft better stuff. I'm in Ch. 9, and my current party, with the exception of maybe one or two weapons, are mostly equipped with crafted gear.

Also I think you should either be at the point or close to building the resources to make the Dreamer's Doors laughably easy.

Are you not killing tainted monsters? Even with level 6 crafting which is as high as I can get it right now I can't craft anything that's as good as what I've got as rewards for killing those.
It's CLOSE but not quite.

Also I'm pretty peeved at how hard it was to find the guy who you need to research level 6 weapons. I feel like it's a weird choice to get the "best" armour guy from a quest that Fi Do gives you but Nu Bi doesn't give you one for the weapon guy.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

Taear posted:

Are you not killing tainted monsters? Even with level 6 crafting which is as high as I can get it right now I can't craft anything that's as good as what I've got as rewards for killing those.
It's CLOSE but not quite.

Also I'm pretty peeved at how hard it was to find the guy who you need to research level 6 weapons. I feel like it's a weird choice to get the "best" armour guy from a quest that Fi Do gives you but Nu Bi doesn't give you one for the weapon guy.

He does. It’s just later.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Emron posted:

He does. It’s just later.

Really? When? I've done his quest for a level 8 radiant blade already.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

Taear posted:

Really? When? I've done his quest for a level 8 radiant blade already.

I was going through all my side quests to clean it out last night, and I could swear that Nu Bi gave me a quest for a guy, maybe I’m just getting it confused since I did about 20 quests in a row while half asleep.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

All of the citizens you need to get from quests not acquired in towns annoy me, because I tended to do all my exploration before said people would show up at the place and I wouldn't know to check it again. I think an easy fix would be to show available quests on the world map before you go into sub-areas.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Amppelix posted:

All of the citizens you need to get from quests not acquired in towns annoy me, because I tended to do all my exploration before said people would show up at the place and I wouldn't know to check it again. I think an easy fix would be to show available quests on the world map before you go into sub-areas.

Yep. I went to a lot of places when they were empty and assumed "okay, this is a quest later on" and never went back. Because every cave/forest/shrine is identical as well it's VERY hard to remember where you've been and haven't been.

quote:

I was going through all my side quests to clean it out last night, and I could swear that Nu Bi gave me a quest for a guy, maybe I’m just getting it confused since I did about 20 quests in a row while half asleep.
You definitely get one for the Armour guy but if Nu Bi was meant to give me a quest to find this guy in Hermit's Hollow then I wouldn't be able to just go and get the guy like I actually did.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

Taear posted:

Yep. I went to a lot of places when they were empty and assumed "okay, this is a quest later on" and never went back. Because every cave/forest/shrine is identical as well it's VERY hard to remember where you've been and haven't been.

You definitely get one for the Armour guy but if Nu Bi was meant to give me a quest to find this guy in Hermit's Hollow then I wouldn't be able to just go and get the guy like I actually did.

Oh yeah, that one. No, I just misremembered it. That one was the second dumbest in my opinion.

The worst is one where you go into a random cave, requiring the “talk to animals” spell I’ve never seen anywhere else, and do a small side quest to kill a mob. Then you have to leave the cave and come back to it (something you have no reason to do), where there will be a new NPC with a side quest to kill his infected fire drake. That gives you a citizen.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Emron posted:

Oh yeah, that one. No, I just misremembered it. That one was the second dumbest in my opinion.

The worst is one where you go into a random cave, requiring the “talk to animals” spell I’ve never seen anywhere else, and do a small side quest to kill a mob. Then you have to leave the cave and come back to it (something you have no reason to do), where there will be a new NPC with a side quest to kill his infected fire drake. That gives you a citizen.

Yea, I only did that because someone mentioned it in the thread earlier. I don't think I would have even seen that cave without the thread in all honesty.

It's sort of weird that the list of tainted monsters includes ones that you can only trigger via quests and some are quite low (for example, I can't fight number 35 yet) but are quests really late in the game.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

I feel like the game is wrapping itself up, is there a post game to run around and finish quests and poo poo after I beat the game or is it a point of no return that I have to stop before passing if I want to do everything?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Agent355 posted:

I feel like the game is wrapping itself up, is there a post game to run around and finish quests and poo poo after I beat the game or is it a point of no return that I have to stop before passing if I want to do everything?

There's a postgame. After you finish the game you get a clear game save and can start back up from right before the final boss. You actually can't 100% complete Evermore before the postgame because new citizens and side quests open up.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Mailer posted:

I would check with the buildings again. I'm also in Ch.7 and while I've gotten some amazing weapons/armor from doing all the Tainted mons and Dream dungeons I can find, I can still make stuff that varies from "slightly" to "much" better with Level 4 in the Armor/Weapon shops

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

precision posted:

I would check with the buildings again. I'm also in Ch.7 and while I've gotten some amazing weapons/armor from doing all the Tainted mons and Dream dungeons I can find, I can still make stuff that varies from "slightly" to "much" better with Level 4 in the Armor/Weapon shops

I honestly didn't check past chapter... 4ish. All my buildings are near capped for chapter 7 research now so I'll look again. Like spells I assume eventually I'll reap rewards.

Amppelix posted:

This would be awesome. I've kinda resigned myself to not getting 100% because constantly poking and re-poking my head into every possible area is tedious.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
I actually die quite fast in some of these later game areas cause I'm so under leveled and never made use of crafted gear. Not wiping or anything but it was kind of amusing.

Do hard modes for skirmishes also have to be cleared for the skirmish trophy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I never touched crafted gear unless I needed something for a quest because the only time it ever overtook poo poo you could get just from random drops was in the post game.

• Locked thread