Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

icantfindaname posted:

So this game is Anime then, in that the plot, characters, tone, aesthetic, etc, all fit a Ghibli mold that's 40+ years old at this point

I know this is sarcastic but Ghibli isn't the kind of anime people are worried about

This is the kind of anime when people ask "is this anime?" I would say "no, don't worry"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdnn669uWRI&t=95s

This is the negative-connotation anime people are worried about when they ask "is something anime" to which I would respond "yes, this is anime"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZgJHdRDvPCw&t=99s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.

Oriental Hugs posted:

How anime is this game?

They went the (Wii) Xenoblade route, and put together a cast of British theater actors, rather than pulling from the usual 'Anime Videogame Voice Actors Guild', so the tone is definitely more 'western fantasy cartoon' than 'big shouty anime game'. Lofty and Boddly are both voiced by household names, and Mausinger spends every second of screen time hamming it up like a loving pro.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
Game should be about Roland becoming president of the world

Doesn't even fuckin hesitate to cap a mouseman

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

This is the negative-connotation anime people are worried about when they ask "is something anime" to which I would respond "yes, this is anime"

jesu christi, that lip synch

Kalsco
Jul 26, 2012

The gameplay in no.1 was tedious, unfun, grindy garbage. Was fine to start but just went bonkers at the end. The implementation of the mixed live/menu navigation/party management was a real turn off. Probably way too soon to ask, but is there any impression of the late gameplay? What I've seen of the start looks fun but I'm a little wary now.

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

It was pretty great how he like, sort of makes an effort to use a sword against some regular soldier mooks, but as soon as a mage shows up he's like I CAST GUN

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

That opening just loving ruled in every respect

Speaking of did y'all know Roland's ranged attacks can be charged, because mine is a death beam and that is rad as hell. Not really relevant since it's probably less damage than just attacking, but still.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Except now this logic puzzle is making me feel stupid :(

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I was starting to think this game's too easy, but got stomped in the second dream dungeon I found. I've cleared two of the corrupted monsters though, the first two, and the second (the whackrat guy) gives you a crazy good suit of armor, it was literally twice as good as the best suit I've found, and I've been doing a lot of loving around

The base building seems not great but not bad

Raiad
Feb 1, 2005

Without the law, there wouldn't be lawyers.

Uh mister president...

I think leaving the city that just got nuked to go on fun anime adventures isn’t a very responsible thing for the leader of the free world to do, and probably isn’t what people voted you into office to do

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

Raiad posted:

Uh mister president...

I think leaving the city that just got nuked to go on fun anime adventures isn’t a very responsible thing for the leader of the free world to do, and probably isn’t what people voted you into office to do

Maybe his terrible leadership and decision making directly lead to the said nuking, and him pissing off to another reality is the best thing for all parties?

Fun game so far.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Raiad posted:

Uh mister president...

He's never gonna, y'know, reflect on that, is he

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Man I do not get whatever this higglythings are. The text is way too small and I feel like a moron because it all sailed over my head outside "push button they shoot canon at flying jerks or whoever"

Like I got a guy from a rock and he was at 0 (whatever that means). Now he's at 4 and I haven't really done anything nor do I know what that means aside from just assuming it means there's 4 in that squad. Found a darkboy and got 6 with him and ???.

Was told I could hold a button down when using skills and they'd power it up but I hold it down and nothing really happens except I wind up getting walloped.

Everything else is pretty fun but boy I don't get this weirdo mechanic.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Oriental Hugs posted:

How anime is this game?

don't listen to those guys; the three playable characters are a hundred foot tall maid, a cute penguin named penguin-chan who only says "pi pi pi" all the time, and literally vegeta (guessing the dragonball people made it?)

the trailers are trying to trick you

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Man I do not get whatever this higglythings are. Everything else is pretty fun but boy I don't get this weirdo mechanic.

I’m a bit confused by it too, but all-in-all I find the higgledies to be...phenomenal.

MalarkeyToboggan
Jan 4, 2015

Did anyone get it on PC? How's the port? I kinda don't want to fire up the PS4 unless I have to.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I think you have to get pretty far into the game before you do stuff with higgledy combinations. Skills require like 4 wind types or w/e and right now I've only got like 7, no more than 2 of each type, and I'm in chapter 4. I just unlocked the building to make them so I imagine that's when you can start paying attention to the system

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Raiad posted:

Uh mister president...

You defeat the final boss, the credits begin to roll.

The screen zooms out, and you see the game's credits being projected onto an actual screen, in the middle of a large banquet hall.

The president stands up, walks over to a podium sitting next to the screen.

"And so, this is the summary of my plans over the next four years. I know absconding from office in order to join the young catboy might seem like a bold political decision, however, I believe that the majority of Americans are dissatisfied with the two-party system, and I wish to pursue a more experimental form of government and foreign policy. I will now take questions. You there, in the second row"

"Yes, Mr. President, I noticed that your preferred party composition included Tani instead of Batu, can you explain your choice in personnel?"

"Excellent question."

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Oh man, the kingmaker's trial of knowledge was absurdly annoying. It wasn't difficult, persay, but figuring out what the heck the game wanted me to do with the dumb statues rotating took me way longer than it should've and left me not wanting to play anymore.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I wonder if the game will try to redeem the sky pirate guy who has confirmed to kill everyone that steps on "his land" and is more than willing to apparently brutally murder children.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

icantfindaname posted:

So this game is Anime then, in that the plot, characters, tone, aesthetic, etc, all fit a Ghibli mold that's 40+ years old at this point

People asking if this game is anime are wondering if it contains any content that would excite a paedophile

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

fridge corn posted:

People asking if this game is anime are wondering if it contains any content that would excite a paedophile

yeah I dunno, somebody report back and tell us if this game made by ghibli people and the developers who make dragon quest and professor layton games is full of eroticized depictions of children or not

can't be too sure, the eyes in the trailer are pretty big

FauxLeather
Nov 7, 2016

Um Bongo

MalarkeyToboggan posted:

Did anyone get it on PC? How's the port? I kinda don't want to fire up the PS4 unless I have to.

I'm in the same boat, so you might be pleased to learn it's very good. I've not noticed a single drop below 60 FPS, and the game still looks absolutely stunning. I've heard some folks with AMD cards have the game locked to 20 FPS though.
It also has native PS4 controller support which puts it ahead of 99% of the pc library in my heart.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

MalarkeyToboggan posted:

This is the first obstacle keeping me from buying it. My 970 has been a loyal friend but the days when it assured me 1080 60fps with everything on high are long gone.

The second is a pacing question: is the sidequest density stupid? The case with most things like that is I do everything in the first two towns/areas/whatever and burn out so hard running back and forth handing in bear asses that I skip everything after that.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

There really don't seem to be any sidequests to speak of early on. There are some optional boss monsters to fight, and you could always try exploring the map.

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011
You don't get any side quests at all until you are a few chapters in but even when they do show up, they aren't really that bad and they do serve a purpose so you won't want to skip them.

I was hesitant to pick this game up because I thought the first one was a pile of poo poo but they fixed just about everything that I remember being awful and the game is good. My only complaint so far is that combat in general is a little too easy.

Torgo2727
Oct 24, 2004
Taking Care of the Place While the Master Is Away

Mailer posted:

This is the first obstacle keeping me from buying it. My 970 has been a loyal friend but the days when it assured me 1080 60fps with everything on high are long gone.

I have a 970 and the game ran at 60fps with everything on high for me. Optimization is not one of the things I would worry about in this game, surprisingly.

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

This is the kind of anime when people ask "is this anime?" I would say "no, don't worry"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdnn669uWRI&t=95s

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

Everyone keeps bitching on ERA about the game being too easy - and it is pretty easy - but not every game has to be Dark Souls.

You’re playing through a fairy tale, it’s not supposed to be a ball breaker. Frankly it feels kind of nice to have something that’s easy breezy and whimsical right now.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
I'm a senior citizen and I really appreciate the difficulty level! :)

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

Hahaha, the fuckin’ debt birds in Goldpaw own. The city itself is pretty rad lookin’ too.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

VanillaGorilla posted:

Hahaha, the fuckin’ debt birds in Goldpaw own. The city itself is pretty rad lookin’ too.

I’m stuck at the mushrooms getting there. Can you help me out please?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Ni no Kuni 2 is the anime plotline to Warhammer Vermintide if the Skaven won.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

U O ME

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

I get the premium edition now, do I get all the extra fancy swords?

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy

Lorini posted:

I’m stuck at the mushrooms getting there. Can you help me out please?

Go the other way, the path is way more roundabout than you think it is and the game so far hasn't hit me with any obstacles like that it hasn't taught me about first

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

This game is like a litmus rest for how broken people are, I swear.

Apparently a parable about good leadership (which literally starts off with a graphic display of the authors’ fears about our current world) just can’t hold a candle to the nuanced, adult plots of games whose main characters are the classic immortal waifu with impossibly massive jugs (fully animated by the developer for impeccable realism, of course).

Ugh.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Goons fighting invisible minority to the death for no reason, water wet

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Oh god lofty

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.

MalarkeyToboggan posted:

I have a laptop with a gtx1050 and I'm running at 60fps and it looks at least as good as it does on PS4 on medium settings. No hitching at all and super fast load times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I wonder if the game will try to redeem the sky pirate guy who has confirmed to kill everyone that steps on "his land" and is more than willing to apparently brutally murder children.

they bent the knee to catboy tommen who's entire goal sounds like the plan of hosed up villain. they will be his enforcers to make sure "everyone lives happily ever after".

VanillaGorilla posted:

Everyone keeps bitching on ERA about the game being too easy - and it is pretty easy - but not every game has to be Dark Souls.

You’re playing through a fairy tale, it’s not supposed to be a ball breaker. Frankly it feels kind of nice to have something that’s easy breezy and whimsical right now.

yeah, i like easy games sometimes, i want something i can sit back an enjoy.

• Locked thread