Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

PringleCreamEgg posted:

I've played about an hour after seeing the giant bomb quick look and another video and I'm really liking it. I couldn't get into the first game at all because the combat was clunky and boring, despite how charming the game looked. But this one is both charming and has fun combat. Feels like Eternal Sonata (that jrpg with Chopin in it) or a Tales game with the combat.

Also the game starts out with the president of what looks like the United States of Union getting nuked so hard on his drive to the city that he ends up in the kingdom of Ding Dong Dell so he can shoot his pistol at a rat knight that's attacking catboy King which is a great concept IMO.

yeah. its weird but charming game. its well voice acting and story charms even my cynical good heart. i like all the weirdly dark stuff in in too. like the a palace coup that kills most of the palace and blowing the eye out of mouse darth vader/devient art monstrosties head. also lofty looks like mutated fetal Lisa Simpson.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

fridge corn posted:

im pretty sure i want this game

i usually hate/dislike JRPGs but i love this one so far.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Oriental Hugs posted:

How anime is this game?

depends what you consider anime. its very studio ghibli. its not big titties and weird school girl poo poo. its weird and charming though.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I wonder if the game will try to redeem the sky pirate guy who has confirmed to kill everyone that steps on "his land" and is more than willing to apparently brutally murder children.

they bent the knee to catboy tommen who's entire goal sounds like the plan of hosed up villain. they will be his enforcers to make sure "everyone lives happily ever after".

VanillaGorilla posted:

Everyone keeps bitching on ERA about the game being too easy - and it is pretty easy - but not every game has to be Dark Souls.

You’re playing through a fairy tale, it’s not supposed to be a ball breaker. Frankly it feels kind of nice to have something that’s easy breezy and whimsical right now.

yeah, i like easy games sometimes, i want something i can sit back an enjoy.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Oh god lofty

yeah, i know, he is kinda cute but he looks like melted half formed fetus of lisa simpson.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Agean90 posted:

they have the us president on their side, they're gonna invade liberate the gently caress outta the world

hell yeah. honestly its the most fun i have had with an RPG in while. i like how its like an old 80s cartoon movie where they arnt afraid to say "kill" and show death. i mean the loving pirates talk about how the dash peoples heads open. and the president domes a couple people with his 9mm.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Coldforge posted:

I love to imagine their thought process, circa 2015?ish.

"We need to bring someone over from our universe, someone who can mentor the young king in the ways of leadership and nation-building. But someone who also carries around a loaded gun at all times and is tantamount to an action hero. Is there anyone in the world today who, somehow, someway, would represent these two ideas and still remain logically consistent?

THE PRESIDENT OF THE USA!"

yeah :(

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

On one hand I wonder what the budget with this game was. The lack of voicework in literally 90% of the scenes is astonishing bad.

Other part of me wonders if it's a good thing because I just heard Evans king speech at the end of chapter 3 and I half expected him to start babbling like a literal baby. "HAPPIWY EVAH AFER GOO GOO" like I was doing my best to not laugh and it was hard as hell

Edit: This is the most hosed kingdom in the world btw Royal Advisor/Consul is the US President who INSTANTLY chose to abandon his people, his Army General is a child murdering pirate that lives on impulse and nothing else, and the person who handles the kingdoms money has a gambling addiction and lost his entire forest because he couldn't control himself.

What the gently caress is this game lmao

as i said earlier. Evan could be the origin story of villain. "we will sweep away every adversary, every creed, every nation, until the very planet is in the loving grip of the Pax Tildrum. And then peace will reign, and the world, and Everyone, shall bow to me happly ever after"

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Mar 25, 2018

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Infinity Gaia posted:

I think it's either laziness or trying to play up Roland as ludicrously genre-savvy. The true secret of the president of the not-USA is that he's a huge weeb so when he found himself in an alternate world with cat and mouse people as a younger version of himself he just went "Score, time to live out my anime dreams."

Jokes aside, I do think he probably realized nearly immediately that he couldn't exactly just go home, no one knows how he got there and crying about it won't help. So might as well just help this random catboy become king of the world. Maybe that's even him being extra genre savvy. "You know, in these kinds of stories the summoned hero has to do some sort of important task and I did get teleported literally into this kid's bedroom, so that's PROBABLY it."

That's my headcanon anyways.

it could also be his dying fever dream to as his brain is being cooked by the fallout and burning car.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Roland just dropped that he's a dad at the end of this random rear end sidequest. So not only is he the worst president he's also a bad dad.

Lmaooo

gently caress me really, this game loving amazing, lol. maybe he was that universes trump and he doesn't really care about his kids and he was trying to flee office before the world nuked his capital.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Harrow posted:

That whole "yeah, I'm gonna just choose to stay here, gently caress going home" line was really weird, especially given how early it was. If it had just been like, "I have no idea if I can go home, but while I'm here I think I can do some good by helping you" or something it'd make so much more sense.

i mean its for kids i guess? idk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

If you look at his profile in the character guide it tells you his kid is very ill too so, uh...

so he has/had a critically ill kid. that makes it kinda more hosed up. either he is trying to escape the death of his kid or he abandoned his kid in a nuclear hellscape.

• Locked thread