Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Duscat
Jan 4, 2009
Fun Shoe

Squalid posted:

Yeah probably so. These problems aren't easy to solve. People are going to keep leaving rural areas for the foreseeable future -- I just worry about creating perverse incentives that can backfire. Me and Accretionist both basically want to help people to do the things they already want to do.

I saw this video recently about some of Kansas's efforts to keep people in rural areas, offering up to $15,000 in student loan forgiveness. One of the guys in the video just describes how he's planning on taking the money and then leaving as soon as possible anyway.\

trigger warning: video contains Sam Brownback
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7Gj1wDfKFM

i only watched the first few minutes, but lol, the $15k is over five years, which works out to $3000 a year, or $250 a month

also "last year the cost of the ROZ program was 838000 dollars" so even if that all went to pay down student loans, which it didn't because some of it got eaten up by the tax rebates and administrative overhead to keep track of this dumbshittery, that would be only 279 people and one torso added to the rural population of kansas that year

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

triple sulk posted:

megacities are extremely cool and good and gutting the cosmic waste of money that is the united states military would be a real start at subsidizing relocation and providing ubi

the option is building out buses and trains and infrastructure (week) for every little rural town of 500 people (many such cases!) while they people remain jobless except they have a ubi of 10k a year or whatever you set it at

i mean if the cost of supporting infrastructure ends up not that big a deal and you wanna let them stay in the middle of nowhere, then fine i guess, but rural america is hosed in the end

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbcoOqGKFi8

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yall can live in your megacity. Im gonna live the Malthusian dream and my piety and service to Yahweh will preserve my kin. Then my woad warriors will descend into the flooded remnants of Sacramento for serfs

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003
will you have a source of blue dye or is that just the cleft palate talking

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Im going to rename english blackberries in my role as high priest

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
blackberries are actually a dark red

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
also you have to build a castle first

Duscat
Jan 4, 2009
Fun Shoe
home ownership bad because it makes serfs less willing to migrate after jobs, according to this groundbreaking new research i can't believe nobody had thought of doing before

https://twitter.com/MarkCalabria/status/977587346815291393

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

Duscat posted:

home ownership bad because it makes serfs less willing to migrate after jobs, according to this groundbreaking new research i can't believe nobody had thought of doing before

David Harvey talks about this often and is, as always, Right.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
It's really cool that the housing court systems are insanely and utterly broken

Illinois is a good example, it's one of the friendliest states to homeowners but not renters. If you stop paying your mortgage and never show up to court or do anything at all you get to live for free for a year

if you stop paying rent you get a 5 day notice then served with summons and are in court within a month, if you don't show up to that the sheriff is out just after a week.

Fight a foreclosure and you get 5-7 years, fight an eviction and you're lucky to make it six months

So if you have a job loss and then get another job after a few months - you're hosed if you rent, and you're only mildly hosed if you own

And that's without getting into how both sides in all these courtrooms are lying to judges nonstop and committing perjury left and right with absolutely no consequences whatsoever (except for the lawyer who was either too stupid to do math or trying to trick the tenant to the point where the judge told him he was being reported to the disciplinary board)

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
oh yeah and lovely rentals in lovely areas with slumlord owners are often the same cost or more than nicer places because of 'cost of doing business' aka loving everyone as hard as possible

one would think the solution would be to have city run public housing but as someone who lived in cabrini green lol just lol

MysteriousStranger
Mar 3, 2016
My "vacation" is a euphemism for war tourism in Ukraine for some "bloody work" to escape my boring techie job and family.

Ask me about my warcrimes.

Duscat posted:

LOL if you are buying a house in any place but a thriving metropolitan area.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

edit: Awful app!!! argh!!!

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Accretionist posted:

In order to save Rural America --

-- we need to kill 5.95 billion people.

so the world that exists right now actually needs 1.7 worlds to exist? what the gently caress does that even mean.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

ArmZ posted:

so the world that exists right now actually needs 1.7 worlds to exist? what the gently caress does that even mean.

unsustainable resource consumption, probably

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
attention thread HOMEOWNER TALKING NOW

and as a home owner it's my right to go to every city council meeting and scream bloody murder every-time anyone wants to build a new duplex (or god forbid an apartment building) within 10 miles of me because it might negatively affect my property values.

MysteriousStranger
Mar 3, 2016
My "vacation" is a euphemism for war tourism in Ukraine for some "bloody work" to escape my boring techie job and family.

ArmZ posted:

Most nations are dirt loving poor and most people live in hell. Living like a poor person in Africa or Latin America is sustainable. Living like a middle class or even working class person in America or Europe is not sustainable.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

MysteriousStranger posted:

Most nations are dirt loving poor and most people live in hell. Living like a poor person in Africa or Latin America is sustainable. Living like a middle class or even working class person in America or Europe is not sustainable.

ya, modernity is a colossal and unsustainable mistake, what the gently caress else is new

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

What are people's stances on, instead of metropolises or rural hamlets, something in between like the 50-150k population range, where it's big enough to have at least one of all the major "big city" sources of entertainment but small enough to avoid most of the big city problems?

Moved to one of those a few years after having a kid and it's been great for our honestly-rather-boring asses.

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003

univbee posted:

What are people's stances on, instead of metropolises or rural hamlets, something in between like the 50-150k population range, where it's big enough to have at least one of all the major "big city" sources of entertainment but small enough to avoid most of the big city problems?

Moved to one of those a few years after having a kid and it's been great for our honestly-rather-boring asses.

the "big city problems" tend to boil down to:

a) omg browns
b) politicians kicking the browns for being brown and not caring who else they hit
c) national systems which give land votes further enabling b

50-150k produces a nonroad building density like new england main streets that wouldn't feel out of place in most of outside-the-ring tokyo proper, say, and doesn't solve any problems but "there never were factories here to encourage mass worker migration so it's still pretty pale". it doesn't even ensure more local control over government in itself; you could easily have wards or precincts or boroughs as tier 3 rather than tier 5 like they are in most US cities if you decided you wanted to organize society that way. "one of each thing" is also a really bad target because especially with those numbers, it's "but you already have a gay bar why do you need a lesbian bar" territory. (noted metropolis Bennington, Vermont is the urbanized core of a buzzing community of 40,000 or so, for example. in the past few years, we've finally gotten a game shop with tables, and the bar that does live music reopened to a packed crowd of about 30.)

its best-case scenario is just dropping a few blocks that look like queens in the middle of a few dozen square miles that look like nebraska, at which point, why invite all the ills of encouraged or forced relocation that we've hashed over just to then deliberately set the new communities apart and still require automobiles or expensive longhaul transit on the regular?

that said, by all means, it's a better, cheaper, and more ecologically-responsible life filling in the existing urbanized areas of these towns even now than it is to dot the countryside around them, and would be moreso without the heavy subsidization of ownership of a detached home and use of individually-owned motor vehicles. it's good palliative care for those rare few who want to stay for reasons other than having or providing a lifeline/isolation for terminal racists.

Mandoric has issued a correction as of 19:13 on Mar 26, 2018

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

LOL if you are buying a house in any place but a thriving metropolitan area.

https://twitter.com/sallykuchar/status/978334092461670401

(Buncha more at the thread)

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Mandoric posted:

the "big city problems" tend to boil down to:

a) omg browns
b) politicians kicking the browns for being brown and not caring who else they hit
c) national systems which give land votes further enabling b

a) the rent is too drat high
b) im stuck living on top/below other super annoying people who are all assholes
c) its insanely difficult to go anywhere that isnt the central business district during standard commuting hours
d) the house prices and property taxes are too drat high

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

It'd be fine if there was less people

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003
3 of those are deliberate products of gently caress the browns and the fourth is your own racism/classism, hth

also lol if you think the fourth doesn't apply anywhere rural that isn't mansions with full manors attached, the trailer 500 feet behind me just wound up 84 hours of continuous buttrock/revving/plinking and it'll start up again next thursday

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

mastershakeman posted:

b) im stuck living on top/below other super annoying people who are all assholes
c) its insanely difficult to go anywhere that isnt the central business district during standard commuting hours

i wonder what sort of social conditions could have led to a situation where all major transit pathways in cities lead from the suburbs into the downtown business districts to the exclusion of every single other part of the city

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

:siren:
VOTE BLUE NO MATTER WHO!!!

Mandoric posted:

3 of those are deliberate products of gently caress the browns and the fourth is your own racism/classism, hth

wrong

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

*extremely liberally* you must be a racist if you dislike paying thousands of dollars on a roach-infested closet

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

the bitcoin of weed posted:

i wonder what sort of social conditions could have led to a situation where all major transit pathways in cities lead from the suburbs into the downtown business districts to the exclusion of every single other part of the city

weird how here in Chicago the lightest rail lines don't even go out to the suburbs and cover the whole city to ship workers downtown

sure there's details to quibble about but the fact remains the rent is too drat high no matter how lovely the neighborhood , and travel times suck dick because density makes cars and buses impractical. biking is cool though but hard to do in a group or to a job where you have to dress nice or can't be super sweaty

again , the model city is Peoria. actually I changed my mind, it's Rockford. everywhere should be like Rockford

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
I forgot to include e

e) because of the shift in mindset to housing being an investment instead of a place to live, any multifamily building results in tons of deferred maintenance because the owners have a vested interest in avoiding maintenance until they can flip the property. if prices didn't keep going up this wouldn't be as big a problem but exists everywhere that has denser places than single family homes

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

constant bedbug infestations mean you'll always have an excuse to refresh your wardrobe

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003

LinYutang posted:

*extremely liberally* you must be a racist if you dislike paying thousands of dollars on a roach-infested closet

come instead to beautiful arcadia, where you have a fighting chance of plugging the assorted rodents with a .22 and the savings on rent almost cover your car payment and insurance

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

i live in a small city and i effectively make twice as much as my friends in SF :dealwithit:

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
to break the structure up!?
I live in Oklahoma and a coworker from California said his house there is like $850k now, about 1500 sq ft.
He bought a house here about the same size and is going to market his here for $170k when he moves.
Also, his California house is like 40 years older.

I'm not real sure why people want to live in these expensive places when wages are nowhere near 5x what they are here. I have a similarly sized house now and got it for $150k (different part of town though).

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Evil_Greven posted:

I live in Oklahoma and a coworker from California said his house there is like $850k now, about 1500 sq ft.
He bought a house here about the same size and is going to market his here for $170k when he moves.

I'm not real sure why people want to live in these expensive places when wages are nowhere near 5x what they are here. I have a similarly sized house now and got it for $150k (different part of town though).

because if i lose my job entirely randomly here i can probably find another one before i run out of drugs

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003
all of sf is also an insane hellhole pulling ahead of midtown manhattan and miles ahead of even roppongi or the 1st arrondissement

in the meantime the rents across swathes of rural america still make tokyo look cheap, as a reminder $850/mo is the going rate in this town of 3k/"metro" of 40k for a 1-room adapted midcentury motel cuckshack compared to \4-5man for a new construction studio

there isn't a city rent problem, there's an america rent problem

Mandoric has issued a correction as of 01:39 on Mar 27, 2018

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

mastershakeman posted:

None of these complaints are intrinsic or essential to cities.

A & D are due to the American economic organization and the writing is sort of on the wall for that. B is due to zoning laws and NIMBYs as a consequence of those same economic organizations.

C is due to a multitude of things and isn't really true even across an entire city in general.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
if cities constantly exist under the threat of nuclear strikes maybe people will self-deurbanize

MysteriousStranger
Mar 3, 2016

I'm in the DC/NOVA housing market and it's loving bad as well. But the places where the jobs are cost more, and it's catnip for foreign investors to buy up homes there as investments as well. But it's still less dumb than going to an area that's in decline or never had hope to start with and buy a home.

Jeb! Repetition posted:

It'd be fine if there was less people

Good news that's the solution everyone seems to be counting on!

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Evil_Greven posted:

because availability of jobs is higher

doesn't matter how much better the wages-rent ratio is if the one significant employer within 20 miles is slashing jobs and has no interest in hiring you

cities are unaffordable shitholes, but there's a pretty good concentration of companies in metro areas so there's tons of options for getting paid an unliveable wage

also, cities are where the few high-paying jobs are, which just drives up rents even further

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
to break the structure up!?

Main Paineframe posted:

because availability of jobs is higher

doesn't matter how much better the wages-rent ratio is if the one significant employer within 20 miles is slashing jobs and has no interest in hiring you

cities are unaffordable shitholes, but there's a pretty good concentration of companies in metro areas so there's tons of options for getting paid an unliveable wage

also, cities are where the few high-paying jobs are, which just drives up rents even further

There are over a million people in roughly a 20mi radius of where I live. There are a few jobs these days. I realize I am quite fortunate; I worked retail prior to 3 years ago - and had for over a decade. I didn't have poo poo for assets.

• Locked thread