Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fantastic Foreskin

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

I know theres a thread about bicycles somewhere in these forums, but I can't find it, and I'm not about to buy platinum to figure out the best way to save :10bux: rehabing my bike. Can one of you chill and/or magic people point me in the right direction?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vanisher

Heck friend please tell us what's wrong we might know how to help.

Sig images courtesy of the talented Luvcow, Dumb Sex-Parrot, & Death Sext

rump buttman

I just wish I had time for one more bowl of chili

do you have a good bell for your bike? I’d start there

vanisher

rump buttman posted:

This is good

Lets add this to the OP

Mummy Napkin
before doing any major restoration work, have you tried clipping a baseball card to the spokes? that way it makes a cool noise when you ride.

420 SWAGLORD

saban bajramovic
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3515357
^ that's the thread you're looking for, I think, but it looks super long and full of nerds. Nerds! So maybe let us help instead, your bike will be way cooler that way

Manifisto

the first question when rehabbing a bike is to determine whether the front wheel is large enough, or whether there is still room to make it even more ridiculously out of proportion to the rear wheel

the next questions deal with bowler hats and moustache wax, but let's not get ahead of ourselves

Fantastic Foreskin

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Thanks pals. I'm trying to get a higher gear ratio on my bike, but my local bike store doesn't carry any freewheel gears higher than my 13.So I was wondering if bikegoons knew a good way to get high ratio freewheels, or, failing that, how to replace my bike without dropping $600, cuz I don't ride that often or like to spend money.

Also,

rump buttman posted:

I don't, and its real dangerous, I should do that.

420 SWAGLORD

saban bajramovic
I don't know what a high ratio freewheel is, but I do know that changing tire size will affect your final drive ratio. Have you considered a larger/smaller tire to achieve the desired result?

blaise rascal

"Duke, Duke, Duke, Duke of Pearl...."
Here's my bike question:

I took the bike out yesterday for the first time in years, and pedaling didn't do anything because the chain had slipped off the rear wheel. I kinda tried to thread it back on, but whatever I was doing didn't work.

What do

ty vanisher, ty khanstant

alnilam

blaise rascal posted:

Here's my bike question:

I took the bike out yesterday for the first time in years, and pedaling didn't do anything because the chain had slipped off the rear wheel. I kinda tried to thread it back on, but whatever I was doing didn't work.

What do

did you turn the wheel while you thread the chain back on

Like stand the bike upside down or have a friend hold the rear aloft and turn the pedals

Robot Made of Meat

blaise rascal posted:

Here's my bike question:

What do

Did you try making "Vroom vroom" noises while pedaling?

Thanks to Manifisto for the sig!

rump buttman

important: [url] https://www.summitbicycles.com/prod...BSABEgIMN_D_BwE[/url]

redm

mummynapkin posted:

before doing any major restoration work, have you tried clipping a baseball card to the spokes? that way it makes a cool noise when you ride.

sig by Manifisto

Cyberpunkey Monkey

by Nyc_Tattoo

rump buttman posted:

a good yell works equally as well

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

City of Glompton

I think you should try putting streamers on the handle bars

Adiabatic

What have you assholes done now?

blaise rascal posted:

Here's my bike question:

What do

turn the bike upside down and look very seriously at the gears and pedal it and the rear wheel should start spinning before some main character comes into your garage to interrupt you

Olympic Mathlete

:h:

ItBreathes posted:

Thanks pals. I'm trying to get a higher gear ratio on my bike, but my local bike store doesn't carry any freewheel gears higher than my 13.So I was wondering if bikegoons knew a good way to get high ratio freewheels, or, failing that, how to replace my bike without dropping $600, cuz I don't ride that often or like to spend money.

Also,

I don't, and its real dangerous, I should do that.

In a past life I was a bike mechanic, it was pretty fun if shittily paid. I like bikes.

A bigger freewheel would give you a lowerrrrrrrrr gear ratio, not higher. Depending on your cranks (the bit your pedals spin on, sorry if you know what this is already) you might be able to just swap out the chain and put a bigger chainring on instead. It's worth swapping out the freewheel at the same time though so all the new parts wear at the same rate.

mummynapkin posted:

...and then do this.

Fantastic Foreskin

Thanks friend, that would work. I'll give it a shot.

Also, yeah, "lower than".

Queen-Of-Hearts

"I want to break your heart💔 and give you mine🫀"

I've taken the liberty of approving some safety gear for you.

:h: sig by Prof. Crocodile:h:
:byodame:BYOB spells: Mutually Assured Kindness:byodame:

Jolo

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

If you live near a college campus, many of them have a "take a bike, leave a bike" system. If you see a rack full of bikes, pick one that looks more your speed and then leave yours behind in return.

~~~ byob summer 2020 ~~~ sig responsibly ~~~ i hope you enjoy my sig ~~~ please dont kangaroo jack what you cant kangaroo give back. ~~~

blaise rascal

Jolo posted:

If you live near a college campus, many of them have a "take a bike, leave a bike" system. If you see a rack full of bikes, pick one that looks more your speed and then leave yours behind in return.
Not everyone knows this, but there exists a "code" for bike owners to signal which parts of their bike they are leaving for others. If you see a bike chained up by just the front wheel, that means the owner doesn't care if you remove the wheel and take the rest of the bike home with you! As a general rule of thumb, only take the parts that are not chained to a bike rack, unless the chains they use are those skinny plastic ones, in which case that's a signal that you're supposed to cut the chain with bolt cutters and take the whole thing. It's the spirit of sharing and caring that makes the world go round!

blaise rascal

I took everyone's advice and maybe the bike is working now? Haven't taken it out yet since it's been raining and snowing but I will report back when I do

Rushi

by Smythe
how much candy fits in the basket

Jolo

What is a bicycle anyway? It's basically just a ham with wheels that you ride around instead of eating.

~~~ byob summer 2020 ~~~ sig responsibly ~~~ i hope you enjoy my sig ~~~ please dont kangaroo jack what you cant kangaroo give back. ~~~

Twenty Four

Six-Of-Hearts posted:

I've taken the liberty of approving some safety gear for you.

What on earth is safe about having a shark bite your head?!?

Manifisto

Twenty Four posted:

What on earth is safe about having a shark bite your head?!?

nothing else can bite it, duh

rump buttman

I need a good basket. any recs?

Robot Made of Meat

rump buttman posted:

I need a good basket. any recs?

Try wearing a cup supporter.

Thanks to Manifisto for the sig!

rump buttman

I need to be able to breath. that polyurethane cup shell really traps the moisture .

Piso Mojado

bikes are cool as hell

Piso Mojado

here's my hawg

Bacon Taco

Now with extra narwhal meat!
HAIKOOLIGAN
oil your chain brah, just a few blurp blarps on the bottom of the oil dispenser while you slowly rotate the chain and you will be rad af

Pot Smoke Phoenix

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
Turn it off and then back on again.

You're welcome.

https://i.imgur.com/QKTkerO.mp4
Sig elements by Manifisto and Heather Papps
Sig File protected by SigLock. do NOT steal this sig!

blaise rascal

I biked to work yesterday. Here is what I learned:

1. biking to work sucks
2. going up hills is just as bad as it was when I was a kid

Jean-Paul Shartre

this sentence no verb

1) true
2) true

but pompously displaying moral sincerity by biking, priceless

alnilam

biking to work owns actually

Piso Mojado

alnilam posted:

biking to work owns actually

this, but unironically

krampster2

Sorry if it's off topic or not allowed in this thread but I would check out unicycles. My friend rode one to primary school back in the day and drat, there is no better way to get street cred than to rock up to the occasion one one goddamn wheel! Also it's cool because other people only know how to ride two wheels so it won't get stolen. Although I wouldn't park it out the front of a circus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jolo

Somebody stole Red Panda's custom 7 ft unicycle from San Fran's airport. On the up side, the Golden State Warriors organization replaced it with a new one.

https://www.si.com/extra-mustard/2018/01/31/red-panda-acrobat-unicycle-stolen-sfo

I don't know why that link has a puppy bowl video at the top, but the puppy bowl is very fun. If you scroll down there's a video of Red Panda doing her thing. She rides a unicycle with one foot and flips bowls up onto her head using the other foot. It's magical.

• Locked thread