Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

Freakazoid_ posted:

I've seen quite a few people say the good parts of Vangaurd were very good, except I don't think I've seen anyone explain what the good parts were. At all.

You don't understand THE VISION.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bahanahab
Apr 13, 2006

Freakazoid_ posted:

I've seen quite a few people say the good parts of Vangaurd were very good, except I don't think I've seen anyone explain what the good parts were. At all.

The Bloodmage class.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Apparently Bards were great in Vanguard.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Freakazoid_ posted:

A lot of the classes had cool mechanics, the crafting wasn't bad, Diplomacy was an interesting concept, and so forth. Charm crafting was neat. A lot of little things that didn't make a game [obviously, as it failed], but that *could* have been something.

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

vanguard was actually fun when things worked, it was just all the half completed areas and game breaking bugs that ruined it

like at one point the game had areas that were finished and somewhat polished and doing all the quests and pve poo poo there was a blast but if you tried doing content that was long ago written off gl

megalodong
Mar 11, 2008

Freakazoid_ posted:

The class design was great. It wasn't balanced at all (paladins were far and away the best tanks due to the number of immunities they had, disciples could solo anything and everything), but the classes were really interesting and if you didn't care about Hardcore World First Raiding (lol there was none anyway), it was fine.

The world was great, but really let down by the awful chunking system they had.

The initial storylines for each race's starting area were really cool, and very different from each other. But then they shoved everyone into the island of dawn and we all got a generic, if focused 1-10 experience.

The dungeons were actual adventures to go through. Some weren't finished at all due to, yet again, development issues, but they had some real interesting ones, like the dungeon where you piloted a flying mech thing, the entirety of trengal keep etc.

THe music owned.

The crafting was cool, and I'm certain FFXIV was inspired by it.

Diplomacy was a neat but really undercooked idea.

The engine was a buggy mess, they modeled and rendered npc eyeballs and tongues, it did no occlusion culling, it loaded everything in a single thread so your whole game would lock up while it grabbed all the player textures...

The whole game was basically a giant collection of flashes of brilliance stuck into something really lovely. If you could handle the crap bits you could have a lot of fun in it.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

megalodong posted:

The class design was great. It wasn't balanced at all (paladins were far and away the best tanks due to the number of immunities they had, disciples could solo anything and everything), but the classes were really interesting and if you didn't care about Hardcore World First Raiding (lol there was none anyway), it was fine.

The world was great, but really let down by the awful chunking system they had.

The initial storylines for each race's starting area were really cool, and very different from each other. But then they shoved everyone into the island of dawn and we all got a generic, if focused 1-10 experience.

The dungeons were actual adventures to go through. Some weren't finished at all due to, yet again, development issues, but they had some real interesting ones, like the dungeon where you piloted a flying mech thing, the entirety of trengal keep etc.

THe music owned.

The crafting was cool, and I'm certain FFXIV was inspired by it.

Diplomacy was a neat but really undercooked idea.

The engine was a buggy mess, they modeled and rendered npc eyeballs and tongues, it did no occlusion culling, it loaded everything in a single thread so your whole game would lock up while it grabbed all the player textures...

The whole game was basically a giant collection of flashes of brilliance stuck into something really lovely. If you could handle the crap bits you could have a lot of fun in it.

Good post. I didn't want to make the effort.

I did a lot of crafting. I've done crafting in quite a few MMORPGs, and none of them were nearly as fun as Vanguard. I don't know how to explain it other than each time you crafted it was a conscious choice in the process instead of mindlessly clicking "MAKE ITEM" 500 times. You'd craft at various crafting stations around the world, and the guildmaster would give you quests to make x amount of items which you'd turn in, and get a reward bag. Bags had varying levels of rewards, depending on how successes you had, and sometimes you'd get a rare component which would let you make a super rare item and make you lots of money. I enjoyed it a lot.

The music was way better than it needed to be. There are at least 106 mp3s in the Vanguard OST, lasting about 6 hours and 45 minutes. And it was all very good music, it sounded orchestral.

People were still discovering stuff the days before Vanguard went down. Lots of the game was unfinished, though, like it was mentioned. New Targanor, the capital of Thestra, was basically empty. It had a boat to take you to the other continents, and the king or whoever the dude was didn't do anything.

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013
as I recall, I had a server first (i think they differentiated between server and world right?) discovery of some random bracers or gauntlets whilst killing mobs in absolutely bumfuck nowhere in Vanguard.

I liked the idea of them embracing community run sites for class information a la Caster's Realm, Monkly Business, Steel Warrior, etc etc from the Everquest days... my friend and I planned to make the world's PREMIERE BLOOD MAGE FAN SITE, got into somewhat early beta, and realized maintaining such a beast would be :effort: .

My PC at the time couldn't really handle it at all. I bought it anyway and had a very... sluggish experience with it.

I will probably pitch in for Pantheon eventually, but I'm a little skeptical at this point. part of what really grabbed me with EQ was the mystery in the world. with all of the data mining and botting that goes on now, i'm afraid any new MMO will be chewed up, spat out, and min/maxed to death.

Xolve
Oct 12, 2012

Well, shoot! We ain't come this far just to dump this thing in the drink. What's the nearest target opportunity?

Ehud posted:

Bards were amazing because you could design your own bard songs with a point system that was focused on how much energy maintaining the song cost/second.

As you leveled up, you unlocked customization slots for the song, and gained access to new embellishments, choruses, verses, etc.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

I want to see what they say about Pantheon at Pax in a week. They're going to have stations set up to play the game. I'm assuming it will be the same dungeon we saw in the recent streams. Curious to read peoples' impression of the game so far.

And I hope they announce some kind of timeline for alpha or even the next pre-alpha phase.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Xolve posted:

Bards were amazing because you could design your own bard songs with a point system that was focused on how much energy maintaining the song cost/second.

As you leveled up, you unlocked customization slots for the song, and gained access to new embellishments, choruses, verses, etc.

Holy crap this looks awesome. They should just rip this off or something close to it.

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies
The game they are trying to make here is completely my poo poo, but there is no way this is ever releasing as even 50% of what Brad has promised.

Bahanahab
Apr 13, 2006

ChickenMedium posted:

The game they are trying to make here is completely my poo poo, but there is no way this is ever releasing as even 50% of what Brad has promised.

This is pretty much my problem with mmo's right now. I don't really like anything currently on the market, and Brad keeps talking about an mmo I want. Unfortunately, there is no way in hell Brad will ever deliver on anything that will ever make me want to give him money.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Xolve posted:

goddamn that sounds amazing

why has no mmo ever had a design your own spells feature?

they're all still stuck in the 2004 skill tree

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Ehud posted:

Vanguard Bard has been the best designed Bard in any MMO so far.

JUICY HAMBUGAR
Nov 10, 2010

Eating, America's pastime.

Hexel posted:

Ryzom did it back in the mid 2000s.

Also bloodmage was so awesome, I've always mained healers in games and it was my favorite I ever played.

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

Camelot Unchained is doing a 'design your own spells' system. Buy-in beta starts in 3 months or so.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

clone on the phone posted:

Camelot Unchained is doing a 'design your own spells' system. Buy-in beta starts in 3 months or so.

I'm interested in Camelot Unchained. Will wait until official final launch though before considering it. There are a lot of things about Pantheon that I like, but the forced grouping and environment/weather sounds like really bad ideas to me. And I say this as someone who played Everquest 1 & 2, and Vanguard back in the day.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

The Bramble posted:

Something about the subtitle "Rise of the Fallen" just makes me laugh. I know subtitles in games are generally overly dramatic nonsense, but this one really kind of jumps the shark.

its really bad and they should change it

Xolve
Oct 12, 2012

Well, shoot! We ain't come this far just to dump this thing in the drink. What's the nearest target opportunity?

Flavahbeast posted:

its really bad and they should change it

B-but Brad's patented naming convention 'Verb of the Edgelord Adjective/Noun'.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

In this interview Bazgrim talks about some of the plans at Pax.

https://m.twitch.tv/videos/244953562

26 min mark he says they’re going to reveal info on all 12 classes.

So that’ll be neat. Due for a big content drop like that.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
Vanguard looked pretty good at times too. Some of the location designs and dungeon atmosphere was some of the best I've ever seen. Each islands flavor was unique and very enjoyable to run around in. I forget the name of it, but the giant port city was amazing to look at from the top of the hill overlooking it.

Then other times it looked like a lump of clay.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I miss Vanguard. There's no private servers that actually work and are close to Live, right?

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

I said come in! posted:

I miss Vanguard. There's no private servers that actually work and are close to Live, right?

The only emulator I know of posts an update every few months. It'll be years before its done, if they even manage to make it that far.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

I'd love a Vanguard emulator. I never got to play it.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Ehud posted:

I'd love a Vanguard emulator. I never got to play it.

All this Vanguard talk makes me sad. The game itself was really, really good. The bad parts were all management related. I have this dream I grasp in futility where Daybreak Games sells the Vanguard IP and someone else refines the game and rereleases it.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Node posted:

All this Vanguard talk makes me sad. The game itself was really, really good. The bad parts were all management related. I have this dream I grasp in futility where Daybreak Games sells the Vanguard IP and someone else refines the game and rereleases it.

Next Goon project?

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Zil posted:

Next Goon project?

Yeah right after City of Heroes.

Looch
Nov 6, 2007
My name says it all.
I never played Vanguard but I am a big fan of Everquest and still log on every now and then, mostly to P99 but sometimes live.

I have been keeping a very close eye on Pantheon and pledged money over a year ago, and I've been impressed and happy with their progress.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

I was summoned by Vanguard talk. I played it very briefly, like a year after launch, when most of the glaring server problems had been ironed out. I remember it as this haunting what-might-have-been vision of where MMO's could have gone, had they evolved to chase the Everquest model instead of WoW's more casual (but more approachable) style. Huge world, lots of depth, a really mechanically crunchy and interesting class system, but also a ton of bugs and grind and reading. It was just doomed not to be, in an era where only an immediate audience in the tens of thousands of players was considered acceptable.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Given the size of the dev team, the huge world actually worked against the game. There were a few out of the way dungeons that were straight up never populated. Most likely because the guy working on it quit/was laid off and no one had the time to pick up what he was working on.

Jebediah
Oct 7, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Played a Disciple, game was awesome. I would jump all up on top of a Vanguard private server and ride it like a dirty slut.

I'm saying I would play it.

Draynar
Apr 22, 2008
This game looks interesting, is it really doom and gloom as some people are talking? I miss having Crowd Control classes or crowd control at all in dungeons.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Hexel posted:

Because WoW.

WoW print(ed/s) money despite having incredibly boring and homogenized classes. So developers figure precise spreadsheet balance of +-1% beats unique and interesting classes.

Except they all usually fail at the spreadsheet part too.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Draynar posted:

This game looks interesting, is it really doom and gloom as some people are talking? I miss having Crowd Control classes or crowd control at all in dungeons.

No one know for sure if it will come out or be any good if comes out.

But there is pessimism surrounding the game because of the history of Vanguard, Brad McQuaid and MMO’s in general.

I hope we get some cool new info at PAX in the next couple of days.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Zil posted:

Vanguard Bard has been the best designed Bard in any MMO so far.

Best rogue class, best bard class, best monk class. To be honest the entire class structure was top notch in Vanguard.

I will never, ever forget playing my rogue on the FFA PVP server and sleep darting everyone for minutes at a time. So much fun.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

https://twitter.com/pantheonmmo/status/981543994265165825?s=21

https://twitter.com/aradune/status/981547313394077697?s=21

lol

Is anyone going to PAX? They’re gonna have a station where you can play some form of the game.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Draynar posted:

The thing for me is that Brad McQuid has launched a few failed MMO's, and Pantheon originally failed to be crowd funded like two times before it turned into what it is right now. I'm very cautious about this game and will wait until it's on Steam. It absolutely cannot have a monthly fee. I won't give it a look if it does. Ideally it's just pay $60 and you get to play the game without any restrictions.

FreeWifi!!
Oct 11, 2013

Okay, that's true. Good point, Marquess. Point for you. But you get a point taken away for being a dick. So, back to zero.

I said come in! posted:

The thing for me is that Brad McQuid has launched a few failed MMO's, and Pantheon originally failed to be crowd funded like two times before it turned into what it is right now. I'm very cautious about this game and will wait until it's on Steam. It absolutely cannot have a monthly fee. I won't give it a look if it does. Ideally it's just pay $60 and you get to play the game without any restrictions.

Without a monthly fee how is Brad expose to pay for his opioids?

C'mon now..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Ive never enjoyed a mmo that didnt have a monthly fee

edit: thats not true I liked Planetside 2 (but the monthly premium account charge in ps2 was pretty much mandatory anyway)