Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Ehud posted:

Is anyone going to PAX? They’re gonna have a station where you can play some form of the game.

Is play time determined by how many pills you can give to Brad?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Somebody in Boston go play the game and tell us if it feels like a game yet

https://twitter.com/pantheonmmo/status/981883043546894336?s=21

taels
Oct 19, 2012

K:CID:X
I've been even further opposing this for ages, old thread was funny.

Are those two new vids actually indicative of gameplay you could experience atm, is anyone actually playing this other than the devs.

Is it still $150 for access to alpha cause that turned me off but since this may actually make it to release I'm less skeptical.

taels
Oct 19, 2012

iminers posted:

Without a monthly fee how is Brad expose to pay for his opioids?

C'mon now..

first off it was 'benzo brad' iirc, and also i think i'm going to just jerk off and save 100bux, maybe sub eq1 for the progression server if i really want to bore myself.

edit: actually i'm stupid so if it's actually in 'beta' and there's any semblance of content i'll probably cave.

Ehud posted:

CohhCarnage plays through a low level dungeon with the devs (March 2018)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XnkaFS6w6w0

brad's going off theorycrafting sound ques for dungeon mob aggro and this dudes face is priceless

and there's a $5 'supporter' subscription that says 'limited time to get in on final-pre alpha content' that i doubt is legit

edit 3: i went to their dumb discord and it's 1000$ to get in on current content LOL

taels fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Apr 5, 2018

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer

Xae posted:

Because WoW.

WoW print(ed/s) money despite having incredibly boring and homogenized classes. So developers figure precise spreadsheet balance of +-1% beats unique and interesting classes.

Except they all usually fail at the spreadsheet part too.
actually it's probably because of game balance and not because wow

or everyone just hates fun or something

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
this was the game that had subscription fees for the last 2+ years, so you can post on the forums for the game

they've been charging people $10 to $25 or more a month for years now lol

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Yeah imo wait until they're calling it a beta before you buy in. I doubt it's worth playing right now and there's no guarantee it will ever reach beta testing

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Flavahbeast posted:

Yeah imo wait until they're calling it a beta before you buy in. I doubt it's worth playing right now and there's no guarantee it will ever reach beta testing

Yeah this is the way to go.

Don’t pay to play a pre-alpha or alpha.

I would pay for beta access / pre-order the game if the feedback is good once the NDA is lifted. That’s as early as I’ll go.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Confirmed with a dude at PAX that they’re demoing a new zone called Black Rose Keep.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Ehud posted:

Confirmed with a dude at PAX that they’re demoing a new zone called Black Rose Keep.

Hoping for lots of new footage from PAX. I think its been awhile since new gameplay has been released?

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

I said come in! posted:

Hoping for lots of new footage from PAX. I think its been awhile since new gameplay has been released?

I think we’ll either get a gameplay vid of the new zone from PAX or they’ll do another stream with Cohh after PAX.

I know that today one of the community members named Bazgrim is doing an interview with the creative director. They’re talking about classes. The expectation is we’ll get sort of an overview of all the classes so far, then after PAX they’re going to post the in-depth class descriptions on the main site.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

megalodong posted:

The class design was great. It wasn't balanced at all (paladins were far and away the best tanks due to the number of immunities they had, disciples could solo anything and everything), but the classes were really interesting and if you didn't care about Hardcore World First Raiding (lol there was none anyway), it was fine.

The world was great, but really let down by the awful chunking system they had.

The initial storylines for each race's starting area were really cool, and very different from each other. But then they shoved everyone into the island of dawn and we all got a generic, if focused 1-10 experience.

The dungeons were actual adventures to go through. Some weren't finished at all due to, yet again, development issues, but they had some real interesting ones, like the dungeon where you piloted a flying mech thing, the entirety of trengal keep etc.

THe music owned.

The crafting was cool, and I'm certain FFXIV was inspired by it.

Diplomacy was a neat but really undercooked idea.

The engine was a buggy mess, they modeled and rendered npc eyeballs and tongues, it did no occlusion culling, it loaded everything in a single thread so your whole game would lock up while it grabbed all the player textures...

The whole game was basically a giant collection of flashes of brilliance stuck into something really lovely. If you could handle the crap bits you could have a lot of fun in it.

This really touches on the main points. I loving loved the class design in Vanguard and it really deserves to be in a better game. Bards were touched upon upthread as a great example. All the healer classes were fun and good and were way more proactive than what people are use to in other MMOs. There really wasn't a healer that just planted their rear end in a spot and played health bar whack a mole with a big heal / small heal / regen / damage shield and nothing else. Blood Mages and Disciples were kind of the epitome of this:

Blood Mages were cloth casting wizard healers. Their primary method of healing was literally by draining enemies to heal your party. They did have a standard healer single target big heal, but you damage yourself using it, so they needed to drain enemies to account for that anyways. Where things got really interesting was that as you cast spells (on both your separate offensive and defensive targets, another magical idea that belongs in a better MMO) you built up a blood bond with your targets. These acted kind of like reverse combo points for rogues in WoW. Some abilities were more potent or added extra effects if your blood bond with the target was high. Some abilities consumed some or all of the blood link for powerful effects. And if you already had another healer in the group they could take up a DPS stance and basically become a ghetto wizard that could switch hats back to healing at a moments notice if things got hairy.

Disciples were basically kung fu healing monks and they owned. They had a secondary resource in Ki that built over time to power their big heals among other things, but in order to build Ki, you needed to actively be fighting, you *could not* just sideline and heal only. In exchange for this, they had the ability to literally kick the health out of enemies and did some pretty amazing group regneration simply by virtue of being a street fightin' person. In addition to this, they also had a combo system where if you used certain attacks in a particular order, you would get one of a handful of short duration buffs that did things like improve Ki generation, increase healing the group received, debuff the enemy in certain ways, and the like. Since they were a monk hybrid, they also had the ability to Feign Death and could flop over if poo poo got bad so they could revive in the aftermath.

There were cool little mechanics and sub-systems all over the place in the class design. Dread Knights had a similar mechanic to the Blood Mage's blood bond, except each breakpoint on the dread bar added increasingly debilitating debuffs on the enemy (-crit chance, reduced defenses, reduced attack speed, ect). Shamans kind of had a psuedo WoW talent tree where at a certain level they pick one of three totems that gives them a unique pet and semi-permanently locks them in as more of a tank, more of a melee dpser, or more of a ranged blaster/debuffer. Clerics could pick from one of eight or so D&D style dieity domains that they pulled extra spells and abilities from. Every class had multiple WoW-warrior like stances to help adapt them to situations.

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Apr 6, 2018

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

DeathSandwich posted:

This really touches on the main points. I loving loved the class design in Pantheon and it really deserves to be in a better game. Bards were touched upon upthread as a great example. All the healer classes were fun and good and were way more proactive than what people are use to in other MMOs. There really wasn't a healer that just planted their rear end in a spot and played health bar whack a mole with a big heal / small heal / regen / damage shield and nothing else. Blood Mages and Disciples were kind of the epitome of this:

Blood Mages were cloth casting wizard healers. Their primary method of healing was literally by draining enemies to heal your party. They did have a standard healer single target big heal, but you damage yourself using it, so they needed to drain enemies to account for that anyways. Where things got really interesting was that as you cast spells (on both your separate offensive and defensive targets, another magical idea that belongs in a better MMO) you built up a blood bond with your targets. These acted kind of like reverse combo points for rogues in WoW. Some abilities were more potent or added extra effects if your blood bond with the target was high. Some abilities consumed some or all of the blood link for powerful effects. And if you already had another healer in the group they could take up a DPS stance and basically become a ghetto wizard that could switch hats back to healing at a moments notice if things got hairy.

Disciples were basically kung fu healing monks and they owned. They had a secondary resource in Ki that built over time to power their big heals among other things, but in order to build Ki, you needed to actively be fighting, you *could not* just sideline and heal only. In exchange for this, they had the ability to literally kick the health out of enemies and did some pretty amazing group regneration simply by virtue of being a street fightin' person. In addition to this, they also had a combo system where if you used certain attacks in a particular order, you would get one of a handful of short duration buffs that did things like improve Ki generation, increase healing the group received, debuff the enemy in certain ways, and the like. Since they were a monk hybrid, they also had the ability to Feign Death and could flop over if poo poo got bad so they could revive in the aftermath.

There were cool little mechanics and sub-systems all over the place in the class design. Dread Knights had a similar mechanic to the Blood Mage's blood bond, except each breakpoint on the dread bar added increasingly debilitating debuffs on the enemy (-crit chance, reduced defenses, reduced attack speed, ect). Shamans kind of had a psuedo WoW talent tree where at a certain level they pick one of three totems that gives them a unique pet and semi-permanently locks them in as more of a tank, more of a melee dpser, or more of a ranged blaster/debuffer. Clerics could pick from one of eight or so D&D style dieity domains that they pulled extra spells and abilities from. Every class had multiple WoW-warrior like stances to help adapt them to situations.

This all sounds awesome.

Bazgrim completed his interview about Pantheon classes with the creative director a little while ago. He’s gonna post it in the next day or two. I honestly wouldn’t mind if Brad just lifted some of this Vanguard class stuff for Pantheon.

megalodong
Mar 11, 2008

It's important to remember VG was entirely deserving of its fate, as it was an awful game in almost every other way. But oh boy those things it did well it did really well.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I'd also like to point out almost all of the classes and abilities you guys love were designed with zero brad input and he was surprised people actually liked them because he thought they were all terrible

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

megalodong posted:

It's important to remember VG was entirely deserving of its fate, as it was an awful game in almost every other way. But oh boy those things it did well it did really well.

It was one of those 50/50 things.

Half of it was incredibly awesome. The other half of things was completely terrible.

Sure, you had probably the best class concepts an MMO had ever seen.

But the engine runs like rear end, it is all poorly balanced, laggy as hell, burdened with stupid systems, poorly explained and looks bad on top of all of that.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Xae posted:

But the engine runs like rear end, it is all poorly balanced, laggy as hell, burdened with stupid systems, poorly explained and looks bad on top of all of that.

:swoon: my kinda game

who's gonna make an emu?

Xolve
Oct 12, 2012

Well, shoot! We ain't come this far just to dump this thing in the drink. What's the nearest target opportunity?

Xae posted:

Half of it was incredibly awesome. The other half of things was completely terrible.

What was that huge castle city with the long rear end bridge, the gate house keep and all that, that you could see from half the game away- but never actually make it into?

Because this is the Vanguard Engine experience in a nutshell.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

TheAgent posted:

I'd also like to point out almost all of the classes and abilities you guys love were designed with zero brad input and he was surprised people actually liked them because he thought they were all terrible

I didn't play Vanguard a whole lot (I think I got to level 35 then stopped around there) but I played enough to know that the Psionicist was a super great class that was fun to play.

Xae posted:

That game's sky boxes and volumetric clouds were pretty incredible, even by today's standards. I remember seeing a video that just play a day/night cycle from that game at 3 or 4x the speed and it was amazing looking.

megalodong
Mar 11, 2008

Xolve posted:

What was that huge castle city with the long rear end bridge, the gate house keep and all that, that you could see from half the game away- but never actually make it into?

Because this is the Vanguard Engine experience in a nutshell.

New Targonor? I dunno if that's what you mean though, since you could go in there.

taels
Oct 19, 2012

I see there's two fairly complete vanguard emulators/private servers. Any good, any actual pop on em?

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

taels posted:

I see there's two fairly complete vanguard emulators/private servers. Any good, any actual pop on em?

There are? Links?

taels
Oct 19, 2012

Ehud posted:

There are? Links?

Use I just YouTube vanguard private server and watched two dudes stream two supposedly different servers so maybe not

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

I googled it last night and what appears to be the biggest one had.....9 players on

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Frog Act posted:

I googled it last night and what appears to be the biggest one had.....9 players on

+ you and me and everyone else in the thread who’d play and we’ve got like 15 players!

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

re: timeline

https://twitter.com/bazgrimtv/status/982639164935024640?s=21

Xolve
Oct 12, 2012

Well, shoot! We ain't come this far just to dump this thing in the drink. What's the nearest target opportunity?

megalodong posted:

New Targonor? I dunno if that's what you mean though, since you could go in there.

A lot of people complained that they're game came to a screeching halt in the early days of the game when attempting to enter that city

Xolve fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Apr 7, 2018

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

taels posted:

I don't think they are fairly complete. Far from it. You probably saw a small part which was mostly done which they showed off as a proof of concept. Its gonna be a really long time, if ever, that we'll see an emulated Vanguard.

Justaddwater
Jul 4, 2006

There's only one emulator project - https://www.vgoemulator.net/. You can download the game client from them here and the launcher from here. Quite a few areas are pretty fleshed out, things like quests are fully there. Crafting is about to about enabled too.

If you want to play around and explore the world just target yourself and do a .speed 1500 and .rift zone

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Node posted:

I don't think they are fairly complete. Far from it. You probably saw a small part which was mostly done which they showed off as a proof of concept.

Sounds like a nearly complete copy of Vanguard to me.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

i have zero expectations for pantheon but i wanna say yo those gnomes are cool

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames
So this is in the FAQ
:what:

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Goast posted:

So this is in the FAQ

Really need to get a look at the ogre female before I weigh in

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Goast posted:

So this is in the FAQ

I hate it when games don't give the morphing options on models to make them as disgustingly fat and deformed as I feel mentally.

forge
Feb 26, 2006
Will dwarf females have beards? Otherwise I'm out.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I don't think there's really been anything super complete on the races and genders just yet. I've only ever seen gameplay footage of humans. Pantheon likely still has a few years left before it's even in beta, so it's going to be a long time before we hear much on this.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

I said come in! posted:

I don't think there's really been anything super complete on the races and genders just yet. I've only ever seen gameplay footage of humans. Pantheon likely still has a few years left before it's even in beta, so it's going to be a long time before we hear much on this.

They’ve shown Humans, Gnomes, Ogres, Archai and Dwarves so far.

Can’t remember if we’ve see an elf or not.

No Halfings, Dark Myr or Skar yet.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Do you have in-game screenshots of the gnomes? I'm really interested in seeing those.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

I said come in! posted:

Do you have in-game screenshots of the gnomes? I'm really interested in seeing those.

You can see one here at about 3 mins in

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XnkaFS6w6w0

Here is a quick screenshot from I took on my tablet from that vid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Okay, those are pretty badass looking.