Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

PrinnySquad posted:

They haven't coded how to make a second server in the GUI, not anticipating people actually wanting to play the game they paid for during Obama's presidency.

E: Monsters and Memories had a pretty successful public playtest about 2 weeks ago. If you like ancient rear end EQ, worth checking out imo.
https://monstersandmemories.com/

https://i.imgur.com/Cv23hBZ.mp4

I was just thinking about this game the other day and am really looking forward to its full public release.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

I've been wrong the last ten times but this time I'm sure: monsters and memories will be the game that allows me to experience joy again

ukrainius maximus
Mar 3, 2007
I love that dwarf

PrinnySquad
Sep 20, 2008

It really isn't that complicated.
The dwarf models are absolutely delightful. The game is more classic EQ1 in systems than TLPs at this point. But the game still has a long way to go. One of the most important facets of EQ is stupid random bull poo poo with questionable utility, like a knife that clogs your inventory with 5000 bandages

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

PrinnySquad posted:

The dwarf models are absolutely delightful. The game is more classic EQ1 in systems than TLPs at this point. But the game still has a long way to go. One of the most important facets of EQ is stupid random bull poo poo with questionable utility, like a knife that clogs your inventory with 5000 bandages

embalmers skinning knife owns actually

PrinnySquad
Sep 20, 2008

blatman posted:

embalmers skinning knife owns actually

Legit my favorite item from the frosty tower.

Shrinking ogres is also very important to my EQ experience.

Kevin Bacon
Sep 22, 2010

post your shrunk ogres please

ZixTheYeti
Jul 12, 2005

Hellarious!

Kevin Bacon posted:

post your shrunk ogres please

They closed DPPH.

shirunei
Sep 7, 2018

I tried to run away. To take the easy way out. I'll live through the suffering. When I die, I want to feel like I did my best.
Doing a growth spell on gnomes so they become ogre big is way funnier.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
M&M is absolutely not going to be for me, but I still want to give it a whirl and I'm glad that between it and Evercraft there's going to be some games for the MMO grognards.

PrinnySquad
Sep 20, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0RlCrqbQXM

Chainmail and diaper sure is an aesthetic.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

PrinnySquad posted:

janky wow clone with shittier luclin player models is definitely a bold choice

retpocileh
Oct 15, 2003

PrinnySquad posted:

Asheron's Call is looking good.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Someone make an actual Asheron's Call clone, tia

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

blatman posted:

janky wow clone with shittier luclin player models is definitely a bold choice

*clears throat* ACTUALLY.... it's a Everquest clone.*

*It still looks like poo poo and is never coming out.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

PrinnySquad posted:

I'm the rapping intro

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?

PrinnySquad posted:

hopefully this streamer gets the anal they've been hoping for

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

onesixtwo posted:

hopefully this streamer gets the anal they've been hoping for

For what it’s worth, Nathan Napalm is not a bad dude as far as content creators go. His focus is entirely on MMORPGs, and he would fit right in on our stupid MMO forum.

PrinnySquad
Sep 20, 2008

https://seforums.pantheonmmo.com/content/forums/topic/14963/january-q-amp-a-summary/view/post_id/280961

quote:

What is the plan for the Perception system in Pantheon? What do you see the feature looking like at launch?
It is too early at this stage to say that all three aspects will be in by launch, but it is a vital system to the game and we are exploring options on how we can ramp up development of this system and will keep you posted.

quote:

You (Joppa) have mentioned that Pantheon may launch without accessible capital cities. How likely is it that we will not see these areas at launch, and how will Pantheon create iconic racial starting areas without them?

quote:

All of these questions start with the first question of "What is alpha?" We don't know yet, so that isn't a timeline we can speculate on.

Alpha? Launch? We don't know what or when, but we do know it will be missing a lot of the basic features we've been selling pledges on for the past decade.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

What is alpha? What is a video game? Where am I?

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]

quote:

Pantheon may launch without accessible capital cities

Huh? Isn't that like the first thing you when you make a game? You build your capital city and then the areas around it to have a more natural transition with the setting, right? You don't just make your map and then go, "Oh poo poo, where do I put the capital city??"

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

In real life, the terrain comes before the cities. They’re just being realistic.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Cardboard Fox posted:

Huh? Isn't that like the first thing you when you make a game? You build your capital city and then the areas around it to have a more natural transition with the setting, right? You don't just make your map and then go, "Oh poo poo, where do I put the capital city??"

no the first thing you do is fundraise on kickstarter and then accomplish nothing for like 10 years with that money

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

But some dude on twitch who is an investor (so he knows everything behind the scenes and has played it all and of course is an expert) told me this game is going to be better than any game I’ve ever played? How could that be a lie???

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

onesixtwo posted:

But some dude on twitch who is an investor (so he knows everything behind the scenes and has played it all and of course is an expert) told me this game is going to be better than any game I’ve ever played? How could that be a lie???

sorry, this isn't the Star Citizen thread.

anyhow I'm in for $500 how about yall :smuggo:

PrinnySquad
Sep 20, 2008

Cardboard Fox posted:

The real head scratcher around this since they've moved away from individual zones to do a seamless open world... are we just going to have giant invisible wall place holder capital cities? poo poo becomes much harder to hide when the central thing for a region is missing.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

Warhammer Online ditched 4/6 of their capital cities to launch faster as well. IIRC you could see their outskirts but not enter them. It was my first big disappointment as a warham nerd followed by how stiff the gameplay felt.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Cardboard Fox posted:

As far as I remember, we've only ever seen part of one capital city, which is the one for humans. They're supposed to have capital cities and starting area for every race.

Also, I guess they have to redo the human capital city because the art style changed lol

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Vanguard released (or maybe I’m truly remembering the beta) without access to the big main capital and they just had the entrances closed off. That game was real tho.

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007
The good, The bad, Im the one with the gun.

LuckyCat posted:

Vanguard released (or maybe I’m truly remembering the beta) without access to the big main capital and they just had the entrances closed off. That game was real tho.

I tried that game, best time ever clearing some random cave with no loot with a group. I never got to see the city at all or get past level 20.

Also, give me the blood mage back dang it!

PrinnySquad
Sep 20, 2008

PyRosflam posted:

I tried that game, best time ever clearing some random cave with no loot with a group. I never got to see the city at all or get past level 20.

Under SOE's management, Blood Mage was stripped of all its fun mechanics over the years anyways :negative:

I had a ton of fun with it for a bit when the organ harvesting/grafting mechanics were still in play.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer

PyRosflam posted:

Vanguard was so good before they added the central newbie area (except performance lmao). In beta I had the most fun of any MMOs exploring the starting areas. I had a high elf and exploring that city was breathtaking and I loved the music in that area. I was a ranger and exploring the surrounding areas felt dangerous but fun, peaking into caves and seeing what I could handle solo.

I also made a lesser giant shaman and devoted him to diplomacy. The lesser giant starting area had a lot of diplomacy quests and working through them uncovered the lore of the area and the race.

And finally exploring the mountain passes as a dwarf cleric was very cool also.

drat, the first nail in the coffin for VG was definitely merging everyone into a singular starting area, and eventually newbie island.

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007
The good, The bad, Im the one with the gun.

LuckyCat posted:

Vanguard was so good before they added the central newbie area (except performance lmao). In beta I had the most fun of any MMOs exploring the starting areas. I had a high elf and exploring that city was breathtaking and I loved the music in that area. I was a ranger and exploring the surrounding areas felt dangerous but fun, peaking into caves and seeing what I could handle solo.

drat, the first nail in the coffin for VG was definitely merging everyone into a singular starting area, and eventually newbie island.

I honestly feel that most MMOs fail in that they wont/ cant keep old areas relivent at all. Stuff like the Paw upgrade are mostly unheard of in games and they did it 2 or 3 times If you were there you even got to see ranks of knolls attacking. Turning Kithicor into a nightmare fuel zone was actully kinda amazing. Evolving the world each xpac would have been a very cool thing to do so that the world responded to hundreds of max level people running around after a time.

Instead we got Raid Quest :P

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

LuckyCat posted:

You could enter New Targonor, if we're talking about the same thing, but it had absolutely no content. No vendors, no quests, the king just sat in his throne room and did nothing.

Node fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Jan 25, 2024

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Most kings do that though.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
It's funny how Vanguard found the perfect balance for obscurity - it was just before the age of wikis documenting absolutely everything, so trying to find information on New Targonor on Google yields very little useful results. It's lacking in documentation so much that trying to search for New Targonor actually leads you to my previous post, on the first page on a google search, at least on my end.

I guess the most information you have on it is the folks that data mined Vanguard and stored it for later use on the Vanguard emulation project, but that isn't on the internet yet.

Node fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Jan 25, 2024

PrinnySquad
Sep 20, 2008

More MMOs need to let proc zone wide buffs by arguing with local government officials via a card game.

Justaddwater
Jul 4, 2006

Node posted:

I guess the most information you have on it is the folks that data mined Vanguard and stored it for later use on the Vanguard emulation project, but that isn't on the internet yet.

The Vanguard emulator group were clever enough to backup a bunch of Vanguard websites and forums before they went offline. https://vgoemulator.net/index.php On the left side under Vanguard Resources.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

I really hope the vanguard emulator project ends up being moderately successful. Would be fun to see and experience the game I was excited for, but missed because of just how fast is disappeared.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

onesixtwo posted:

I really hope the vanguard emulator project ends up being moderately successful. Would be fun to see and experience the game I was excited for, but missed because of just how fast is disappeared.

yep, and only 8 more years away. can't wait!