Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PrinnySquad
Sep 20, 2008

It really isn't that complicated.

onesixtwo posted:

I really hope the vanguard emulator project ends up being moderately successful. Would be fun to see and experience the game I was excited for, but missed because of just how fast is disappeared.

I tried it over a year ago, and ironically to this thread, the only thing "working" was newbie island. Also unfortunately, the classes were based on their final patch version instead of the initials, so a lot of the fun stuff was already gone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here
I’ve heard people talk about Vanguard in hushed tones but every video I’ve seen of that game looks like a fake game they would put on Law and Order or CSI:Miami

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here
Or like one of those “Game Design is easy” commercials where 2 dudes with off brand sidewinder controllers and sunglasses smash into each other’s sides on a couch as they lament the graphics on level 5.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Rexicon1 posted:

I’ve heard people talk about Vanguard in hushed tones but every video I’ve seen of that game looks like a fake game they would put on Law and Order or CSI:Miami

So does Demon's Souls and it's one of the greatest games ever made.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Vanguard had something to it during development and beta. When they were rushed to release it after the publisher changed, they panicked and had to focus on quick fixes rather than finishing or polishing which is a shame. All of this despite Brad McQuaid allegedly stealing prescription drugs from employee desks and most of the devs being inexperienced and in way over their heads.

If someone could put up an emu server of the last beta build before the publisher change complete with optimizations that’d be great tia

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

The reason people reminisce about Vanguard is it had interesting classes which has been discussed in this thread and the MMO history one. Say what you will about Brad but the man could hire some class designers.

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007
The good, The bad, Im the one with the gun.

Groovelord Neato posted:

The reason people reminisce about Vanguard is it had interesting classes which has been discussed in this thread and the MMO history one. Say what you will about Brad but the man could hire some class designers.

No one wants to innovate in this space, not really. Enshrouded put out one of the most bland RPG progression with only the known stuff. Final Fantasy MMOs are still holy trinity but at least have some flavor. It was well known in Blizzard that the class champions were just devs with an extra job they had to do.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
Would have been interesting to see how Brad and friends would have handled the two cut classes, berserker and inquisitor. Inquisitor was going to be this anti-mage knight which sounds pretty cool.

Disciple was still such a fun class.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I completely forgot there were cut classes.

Rift was another one that had really unique classes. I’ve probably already gushed in most threads in this forum about how fun Chloromancer was.

There was also the Saboteur “soul” that tossed bombs before hitting detonate and watching the opposing player/mob explode. I think you could stack something like 5 bombs in quick succession before detonating. It was OP but very fun.

I’m looking at a list of souls in Rift I googled and found Physician- I don’t think this was one that was in at launch? Uses alchemy and a bow to fire off arrows with healing draughts and shield potions to allies. That sounds amazing. Similar to agent/smuggler in SWTOR, I love healers that use devices to heal rather than magic.

Warden was a cleric soul that used water to heal. I love the aesthetic of water healing in any game.

And finally, Justicar, another cleric soul which used melee combat but still served as healer, and could even tank. I’ve always loved the idea of a melee cleric. Lots of games give them heavy armor and mace/shield combos and then make them stand back and just use magic.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Node posted:

Would have been interesting to see how Brad and friends would have handled the two cut classes, berserker and inquisitor. Inquisitor was going to be this anti-mage knight which sounds pretty cool.

Disciple was still such a fun class.

Inquisitor was the one I was looking forward to playing before release and was so bummed it wasn't in.

PrinnySquad
Sep 20, 2008

Vanguard's graphics were definitely incomplete when the game shipped, but it had a fair amount of music that really sticks with me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t18zWmxaMoI

Also oh man a few beta/launch screens survived over the years.

PrinnySquad fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Jan 31, 2024

Haruharuharuko
Mar 24, 2008

Yeah I lied; so what is the truth?

LuckyCat posted:

Rift was another one that had really unique classes. I’ve probably already gushed in most threads in this forum about how fun Chloromancer was.

There was also the Saboteur “soul” that tossed bombs before hitting detonate and watching the opposing player/mob explode. I think you could stack something like 5 bombs in quick succession before detonating. It was OP but very fun.

I’m looking at a list of souls in Rift I googled and found Physician- I don’t think this was one that was in at launch? Uses alchemy and a bow to fire off arrows with healing draughts and shield potions to allies. That sounds amazing. Similar to agent/smuggler in SWTOR, I love healers that use devices to heal rather than magic.

Warden was a cleric soul that used water to heal. I love the aesthetic of water healing in any game.

And finally, Justicar, another cleric soul which used melee combat but still served as healer, and could even tank. I’ve always loved the idea of a melee cleric. Lots of games give them heavy armor and mace/shield combos and then make them stand back and just use magic.

Man rifts class combo system ruled so much I went back to try it last year or the year before and the combo I played was locked behind a paywall and that was that I guess

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

LuckyCat posted:

Sabo PvP was so fun because 90% of players just never noticed the bombs stacking on them and then they'd run back into their team

Also Riftstalker on the capture the flag map was some very dumb fun poo poo

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

PrinnySquad posted:

Vanguard's graphics were definitely incomplete when the game shipped, but it had a fair amount of music that really sticks with me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t18zWmxaMoI

Also oh man a few beta/launch screens survived over the years.

Vanguard's OST is six hours and forty-five minutes long. It's stunning compared to the sound track of any other mmorpg, or any game. And they're pretty nice tracks too.

Node fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Feb 1, 2024

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Node posted:

Vanguard's OST is six hours and forty-five minutes long. It's stunning compared to the sound track of any other mmorpg, or any game. And they're pretty nice tracks too.

tilts his head sideways like a dog who has played FFXIV

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

I remember really liking the character creation music in Vanguard.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Azubah posted:

I remember really liking the character creation music in Vanguard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5CYa2D-vj0

I have the soundtrack on CD somewhere. I should dig that out soon. And then find a way to play a CD rofl.

PrinnySquad
Sep 20, 2008

I had a strategy guide for the game which I was curious about for launch class details, thread had me thinking about it but alas, lost in a move I think.

ZixTheYeti
Jul 12, 2005

Hellarious!
I got the Vanguard soundtrack sitting in a folder somewhere on my laptop but I almost never play it because it reminds me of all the times I would wander around and explore while listening to the music and it depresses me. :(

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

ZixTheYeti posted:

I got the Vanguard soundtrack sitting in a folder somewhere on my laptop but I almost never play it because it reminds me of all the times I would wander around and explore while listening to the music and it depresses me. :(

You aren't alone

PrinnySquad
Sep 20, 2008

People kept asking questions about alpha so we're dropping the nomenclature. But hey, more open testing.

https://www.pantheonmmo.com/seasons/

Themoor
May 15, 2020
/puke

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

lol they named their first "season" Into the (Battle)Pass

Babe Magnet fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Feb 7, 2024

PrinnySquad
Sep 20, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nL3oXY4wrAM
Someone on Reddit summarized it nicely

quote:

For anyone that can't / doesn't want to listen, here are the main points I caught (in order):

Feb 17th "good portion" of Avendyr's Pass (AVP) available

Higher level NPCs / areas in AVP than Thronefast

Some higher level Thronefast npcs levels lowered

Shaman pets in S1

Possible Summoner would be added S1, depening on how shaman pet goes

Seasons will focus on expanding the world, other things (classes, races, etc) will be added as they're ready

Currently planned to have a mid-season patch each season to fix issues in prep for champions + supporters

Seasons are additive, each season the world becomes bigger

AVP will release across three seasons (18 weeks)

Not all zones will release over three seasons. Some will be 1-2, depending on size

There will be wipe before S1

Goal is to not wipe during / between chapters. Players need to be able to continue on to higher level content. Wipes "as needed"

Current plan is no future "Alpha" or "Beta"; Seasons currently planned to be used until release

VIPs will have single server, additional added for champions / supporters

PVP Server will come during a future season

No short term plans for server hopping

Chapters are the overall focus, seasons are parts of the chapters. Full release of AVP is a "Chapter" that has 3 seasons

Someday champions and supporters will get more access, unsure when

Locking down VIP server to VIP only being considered

Oger ETA "soon"

Armor fitting coming along

Visual NDA will stay in place, will be dropped when champions and supporters are added

Character customization "not too far off"

Water / swimming "not high on the list" but is coming. Likely "water" will have its own season

Currently chapters 1 and 2 are "locked in"

Frigid climate will be release with Hangore <sp?>

A decade into dev and now theyre just doing a "normal" early access, except no sharing of anything.

shirunei
Sep 7, 2018

I tried to run away. To take the easy way out. I'll live through the suffering. When I die, I want to feel like I did my best.
Thank God that Brad did not live to see what this still has not become.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

"We have converted “beta, alpha and pre-alpha access” to “Supporter, Champion and VIP” tiers, allowing 1 week of access per season for Supporters, 2 weeks per season for Champions and full-time access for VIPs."

That means the access levels work out like this:

1 weeks of access per season: $50-$150

2 weeks of access per season: $250-$500

Unlimited access per season: $750 - $10,000

lol

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]
VIPs of this game: What happened to you? Is there anything at all I can do to help you?

PrinnySquad
Sep 20, 2008

Ehud posted:

"We have converted “beta, alpha and pre-alpha access” to “Supporter, Champion and VIP” tiers, allowing 1 week of access per season for Supporters, 2 weeks per season for Champions and full-time access for VIPs."

That means the access levels work out like this:

1 weeks of access per season: $50-$150

2 weeks of access per season: $250-$500

Unlimited access per season: $750 - $10,000

lol

The thing that strikes me wilder than the pricing, is how they got tired of people asking about "why is alpha is taking so long", so they just abandoned the terms entirely so they can coast in permanent development with less friction. All of the past 1-2 years really just been damage control for all their bad decisions catching up to them.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Impressions from the latest test.

https://massivelyop.com/2024/02/13/progress-bar-inside-the-latest-24-hour-pre-alpha-test-of-pantheon-rise-of-the-fallen/

"It took me three and a half hours to get to level four."

where do I sign up

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

Ehud posted:

https://massivelyop.com/2024/02/13/progress-bar-inside-the-latest-24-hour-pre-alpha-test-of-pantheon-rise-of-the-fallen/

where do I sign up

The lowering of standards from devoted backers of this game compared to what they’d expect from any other modern release is really something. Even when handed a janky, unfinished, rat slaying simulator that looks and plays like a $1.99 iOS game from 2016, many of them seem downright determined to enjoy it. I wonder if the sunk cost of time spent thinking about Pantheon over the last decade makes acknowledging the reality of this bad game psychologically untenable.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Being pre-alpha still at this point is just really sad.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

I said come in! posted:

Being pre-alpha still at this point is just really sad.

You’ve got it all wrong. We’re approaching season 1!

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

Ehud posted:

where do I sign up

You could have told me those screenshots were from Monsters and Memories and I wouldn't question it for a second.

PrinnySquad
Sep 20, 2008

Hey now, Monsters and Memories has a much more distinct style.

Themoor
May 15, 2020
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-VljOeRfis&ab_channel=CohhCarnage

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
Like fine wine.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?

Open world with no instancing, group oriented, no hand holding - I've been waiting YEARS to hear those words! Cannot wait for this game.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

sorry you're randomly assigned to a realm and we can't guarantee you can play with your friends in our highly social mmo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Wait a minute, the graphics got seriously downgraded lol. Pantheon looks significant worse now in its current build compared to 7 years ago, how does that happen lmao. I'm no longer interested in this MMO.