Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Lol canceling that is probably the most boned this game has ever been, though I guess they weren’t actually going to attract any new money with that but nerds used to being abused by desperate nostalgia might pay them a second or third time

The streamer associated with this game has reappeared in the thread on the Reddit too, guess he’s still hoping his $100k or whatever wasn’t totally wasted

Frog Act fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Nov 14, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
I wonder how much time they wasted by preparing this 24/7 mode instead of focusing on the mmorpg.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

a few weeks ago: with the current pace of crowdfunding it'll be really hard to finish this MMO, which is why we need to sell 247 mode.

today: we are abandoning 247 mode and are committed to finishing the MMO.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
It had been out for a little bit so I imagine they had numbers showing it wasn't gonna do jack poo poo.

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]
So, uhh, where are they going to get money to keep the lights on? The playerbase isn't interested in a Tarkov mode, and I can't imagine any investors are looking at this as the next big MMO. Are they just funding the development with debt? Kind of crazy to do that in a high interest rate environment.

PrinnySquad
Sep 20, 2008

It really isn't that complicated.

Cardboard Fox posted:

So, uhh, where are they going to get money to keep the lights on? The playerbase isn't interested in a Tarkov mode, and I can't imagine any investors are looking at this as the next big MMO. Are they just funding the development with debt? Kind of crazy to do that in a high interest rate environment.

Coasting on all the money they got from investors advertising a product that looks nothing like what they've currently got. For a team as big as they were they're definitely grabbing cash to sustain things a probably a year at a time and then hiring animators and such on a contract. No way they were just paying everyone's checks with new monthly pledges. They stated a year or 2 ago that they had some sort of angel investors sign on.

PrinnySquad
Sep 20, 2008

https://www.pantheonmmo.com/pantheon-returns-to-the-mmorpg-format/

quote:

PANTHEON RETURNS TO THE MMORPG FORMAT
Pantheon will drop its 247 Test Mode and return to the full PvE MMORPG. We are making the conversion immediately and it will be available in the coming days, available around the clock to pledges with the Pre-Alpha access perk. Alpha pledges will be invited to play 24-hour sessions starting in December and continuing into next year, schedule to be announced.

In addition, effective December 1, 2023, we are lifting the verbal NDA and all Pre-Alpha testers will be free to talk about the game and their experiences. The visual NDA will remain in place, which means all screenshots and/or video must be approved by Visionary Realms before posting.

We knew there would be some uneasiness when we introduced a survival extraction testing mode, but we hoped that it would be an enjoyable, replayable experience that would provide critical data for development, and potentially some additional funding to accelerate delivery of the full MMO game. However, our hopes didn’t line up with what you felt. The Pantheon community made it clear that the 247 test mode is not the reason they support us, and we need to listen to that.

We know there will be a lot of questions, so this Thursday, November 16th at 5pm PT, we will be hosting another live Q&A on Pantheon’s Discord to go into more detail on how we plan to use the PvE MMORPG to achieve the same goals established for the extraction mode, and to answer your other questions.

We understand that for many of you, we have damaged your trust. That’s on us. For those who will give us the opportunity to rebuild that trust, we thank you. For those who are not yet ready to believe in us or the project again, we understand, and hope we can earn back your support in the future.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

PrinnySquad posted:

In addition, effective December 1, 2023, we are lifting the verbal NDA and all Pre-Alpha testers will be free to talk about the game and their experiences. The visual NDA will remain in place, which means all screenshots and/or video must be approved by Visionary Realms before posting.

To me this says they're gonna put back the old content with the old art style and gradually replace it rather than building up from scratch, which is the smart thing to do. Don't think it'll help them but hey

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

'We understand we damaged your trust. That's on us.' is the most sitting backwards on a chair statement I've read in quite some time.

PrinnySquad
Sep 20, 2008

30.5 Days posted:

To me this says they're gonna put back the old content with the old art style and gradually replace it rather than building up from scratch, which is the smart thing to do. Don't think it'll help them but hey

From what I understand Thronefast has been the only zone available for testing for 1-2 years and is already fully converted to the new art style. I think they're only back peddling on Tarkov mode.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here
Pantheon is quickly taking the throne of “My Favorite MMO” away from New World.

hobocrunch
Mar 11, 2008

I'm walkin' here

"We're active guys- We swear!!"

Sachant
Apr 27, 2011

The gently caress are any of them even doing?

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

hobocrunch posted:

I'm the default discord icon

PrinnySquad
Sep 20, 2008

Sachant posted:

The gently caress are any of them even doing?

Probably playing on EQ Quarm.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

hobocrunch posted:

I don’t really use discord, what do the symbols imply

IMB
Jan 8, 2005
How does an asshole like Bob get such a great kitchen?
drat, the Fall of the Risen

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

PrinnySquad posted:

Probably playing on EQ Quarm.

hey that's market research.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Frog Act posted:

I don’t really use discord, what do the symbols imply

Imagine clicking on a seemingly active thread and seeing the only people posting have the same avatar.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Imagine clicking on a seemingly active thread and seeing the only people posting have the same avatar.

Oh lmao I somehow didn’t even notice those were all VR employees. Incredible stuff

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Big alpha test this weekend!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vdx0FNcJba8

edit: lol look at the way this character runs at this time stamp:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vdx0FNcJba8&t=249s

Ehud fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Dec 12, 2023

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

Ehud posted:

edit: lol look at the way this character runs at this time stamp:

That's how normal people run. Gosh!

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

they canceled the test because their mmo cannot support an increased player load lol

https://seforums.pantheonmmo.com/content/forums/topic/14625/alpha-pledge-session-on-hold

Due to major issues we have been unable to fix, we will, unfortunately, be postponing today’s Pre-Alpha test session for Alpha pledges. Due to the complexity of the issue, we will need more time to evaluate and resolve the issue before we are able to commit to a new testing date, which will be as early as possible in the new year.

The underlying issue has to do with our Persist system. In its current state, the game will not be able to perform under the increased server load with the amount of new testers who have signed up to test today.

We understand that this is heavy news, and the decision was not made lightly. The reaction to being able to bring in Alpha pledges to this test was above and beyond what we expected, which has made this decision even more difficult. We sincerely apologize to all of you who have been looking forward to logging into Pantheon for the first time today.

We will keep you informed as we work through the current issues and are able to set a new date for our Alpha pledges to join a Pre-Alpha testing session.

Our current Pre-Alpha testers will be able to resume regular Pre-Alpha testing later today and will be playing on the current version. A character wipe has been performed.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

We understand we've produced nothing in over a decade. That's on us.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

We understand we've produced nothing in over a decade. That's on us.

Yeah guys, its still early in development. It's only been ten years.

PrinnySquad
Sep 20, 2008

They haven't coded how to make a second server in the GUI, not anticipating people actually wanting to play the game they paid for during Obama's presidency.

E: Monsters and Memories had a pretty successful public playtest about 2 weeks ago. If you like ancient rear end EQ, worth checking out imo.
https://monstersandmemories.com/

https://i.imgur.com/Cv23hBZ.mp4

PrinnySquad fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Dec 18, 2023

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

VR posted a follow up in that thread. Their explanation is hilarious.

quote:

We are having a problem with our persist system that governs items and game functions and their ability to persist through logouts and reboots, so the game will forget item stats or how far you progressed through a quest. This is coupled with a memory leak.

First, the problem was believed to be relatively surface. The tech that would be working on it had an unexpected injury and had to take last week off. Our lead tech stepped in to evaluate and as we dug deeper, it became a fundamental issue that would not support the incoming flow of traffic. We had a fix pending. It didn't work.

We know how disappointing this is and we want to do better.

I scanned the thread to see the reactions and the posts are making me lol

quote:

After a decade, i was finally going to get to play! I was actually feeling a lil high about pantheon for a bit, after years of thinking i'd never step foot in the world.

So i cancel my plans for the weekend, stock up on food, even adjust my sleep schedule so i can drat near play 24 hours straight. And 10 minutes before, it gets canceled.

quote:

My Birthday is tomorrow and I cancelled everything so i could play the whole 24 hour's what a bum deal this is. I'm still excited I wanted to see if this was my next MMO because i truly haven't found one since Everquest and Everquest 2. I don't know if i should just throw down 500$ more to get into the pre-alpha.

quote:

Hello. Was able to get to the login in screen. Oh well maybe next year.

quote:

not even going to share my pain with you

fool to believe

This post was edited by gravyrobber87 at December 16, 2023 10:56 AM PST

quote:

Left work for this... :(

quote:

I may be dead before I can play a working product. Can I pass on my pledge to an heir?

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013
ouch. I genuinely feel for those people, given that Pantheon is the thing they're looking forward to the most this year, if not this decade.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
If only video games was an entire industry full of all manner of different types of games that they could play instead of languishing over this scam that will never be.

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]
I know everyone has their own thing they like, but seriously, in 2023 you are taking time off work and hoping to play a pre-alpha Pantheon for 24 hours?

PrinnySquad
Sep 20, 2008

quote:

We are having a problem with our persist system that governs items and game functions and their ability to persist through logouts and reboots, so the game will forget item stats or how far you progressed through a quest. This is coupled with a memory leak.

First, the problem was believed to be relatively surface. The tech that would be working on it had an unexpected injury and had to take last week off. Our lead tech stepped in to evaluate and as we dug deeper, it became a fundamental issue that would not support the incoming flow of traffic. We had a fix pending. It didn't work.

We know how disappointing this is and we want to do better.

They've known about this issue for a long time, they announced and scheduled everything before it was fixed under the hope that their lone tech guy working on it would have it fixed in time. In the lead up to this test they also put out a "Welcome to the game" video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3l7gCRfkhw

And let alpha backers download the client.

I'm not sure when this lone tech guy got injured, but like, how close to the deadline were you expecting him to remote in to work and fix the issue? Because when it finally came down to it, the only announcement was on their forum, and their Discord, so you had a ton of folks in the community left clueless. Update the client with a notification? Send out an e-mail which is how folks were informed that they could download the client at this location etc? For a small company that still has people dedicated to PR it's astounding how bad they are at it.

And now that their community is thoroughly pissed off at them again, they've decided:

So clearly the original persist system issue that they were hoping to have fixed was never remotely feasible to have been fixed in time if they can't say "hey next week..." and give themselves some lead time. Just full speed ahead with the expectation the server is going to have unrecoverable item and stat loss issues and, this is the best you can get from them at this time.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

remember Project Faerthale?

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Is this the same tech lead that broke with wrists in star citizen?

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Azubah posted:

Is this the same tech lead that broke with wrists in star citizen?

Yeah sorry that's me. I want to stop doing this, but I only have two loves in life: being a single point of failure in a kickstarter MMO, and urban parkour.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
lol at my last job my coworker told me about a guy he used to work with who got his arm broken by a bus and started demanding that people stop saying "bus factor" because it was too real.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

I can't get over the idea of a load-bearing tech who is one injury away from taking down your MMO

shirunei
Sep 7, 2018

I tried to run away. To take the easy way out. I'll live through the suffering. When I die, I want to feel like I did my best.

Ehud posted:

I can't get over the idea of a load-bearing tech who is one injury away from taking down your MMO

I mean it's obviously a lie so maybe be a little less credulous lol lmao

PrinnySquad
Sep 20, 2008

Ehud posted:

Kyle Olson is 110% this guy and probably the person who was injured.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

shirunei posted:

I mean it's obviously a lie so maybe be a little less credulous lol lmao

The great thing about bad projects is it typically is staffed with bad developers.

If they are there long enough they can create a codebase that really only they can understand and effectively make changes to. So I absolutely see this as possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
The injury story is bizarre because it has nothing to do with what happened. If nobody had been injured all the same stuff would have happened only maybe slower