Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Verbose posted:

Feels like the days of being able to freely switch careers are over though

How so?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I thought he was into benzos anyway.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I said come in! posted:

Pantheon has failed to take off twice previously. It's not so much games that were canned, but poorly mismanaged MMOs such as Vanguard Saga of Heroes, and Everquest 1 & 2.

EQ2 was released in 2004, and Brad was at Sigil from 2002 to 2007, so I don’t think he was responsible for whatever mismanagement might have happened to it. Is there someone else on the Pantheon team who was senior on EQ2?

I’m not actually sure how EQ2 was mismanaged either, tbh. It seemed to be a perfectly serviceable MMO when I played it, without much developer drama. Share the juicy details!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

30.5 Days posted:

Making games is harder when you can't just steal the dikumud source code.

The diku code would have been useless for the EQ server in a bunch of ways. They envied it, but the odds they stole the code itself are vanishingly small.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

one assumes rocky road

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

FrostyPox posted:

I think the main thing was that despite having relatively cool combat, it was too focused on the "HARDCORE" audience (it had a Burning-Crusade-esque attunement quest to unlock the raid, and then 40-man raids. No one really wants that poo poo anymore, at least enough people to maintain a big-budget mainstream MMO). The questing itself was also fairly bog standard collect 10 bear asses stuff.

And it was hilariously buggy, meaning that you could be on step 22 of 23 in attuning and get bugged, only to be told you had to abandon the quest and start over.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

blatman posted:

as far as modernized p99 goes, I feel like there's room for a modern mmo that actually has some downtime in groups so you can chat with pugs

Sea of Thieves does a good job with this. Fun to shoot the poo poo when not shooting other ships.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Groovelord Neato posted:

Also raised more money than EQ cost to develop in today's dollars lmao

Well sure, but building engines and networking and assets and running servers is more...oh, hmm.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

desudrive posted:

This is what happens when people get millions from Kickstarter

LuckyCat posted:

I thought if a Kickstarter failed they didn’t get any of the money?

Yeah, they only attracted about half of their $800K target, so unless they did it again on a "flexible funding" platform that I can't find, they didn't get a dime.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

The MMO HMO > Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen:

quote:

breezing its way too completion

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Making Pantheon is like crashing your dirt bike over and over to recreate the “Mike are you over there?!?” GIF.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Vermain posted:

I mean, it's not inconceivable for it to have just been someone who played Everquest in the 90s, got rich off of tech/investments in that time, and decided they wanted something like what they played when they were a kid, regardless of the enormous risk involved. Dudes with money funding vanity projects is a well-traveled purview of the rich.

This is almost certainly it. He grabbed some of his rich buddies and said “it’ll be just like when we stayed up playing EQ and getting high”, and they each dropped a quarter or something.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Just like non-dividend-issuing stocks, really.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

30.5 Days posted:

Rust works because anyone can create more land at any time. You can't do that with an MMO.

Why not? Procedural generation of terrain is the type of procgen with the best usual results.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

It’s not a real world and zone lines let designers make interesting areas to play in without having to figure out transitions that don’t pointlessly bloat travel times and look goofy anyway.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Consistency is important, realism is not in and of itself. Realism is useful as a form of consistency with what the player knows (Euclidean geometry, for example, or humanoid forms) but most players don’t know what it’s like to travel on foot or exposed vehicle between very different areas, so there’s little to be gained. “Seamless zones” is just engine bragging to give journalists something to write, and the effort required to make it work well (in engine and art, plus min-spec bump) is better put to other uses.

3D graphics are an efficient and familiar way to express positioning and spatial relationships, and the camera (though not really realistic—where’s my peripheral vision?) provides an easily-learned way to control both movement and visual focus. Having roughly 2M pixels instead of many fewer letter-glyphs gives designers the ability to convey a lot more information in a fixed amount of time, and nobody (afaik) has solved the disruption of text scrolling while it’s being read.

I worked on VR game stuff for a while, and narrowly avoided a career in MMO development. I appreciate the value of immersion, but being immersed in the fantastic sense of “I dunno, not really the swamp and not really the mountains” isn’t something that strikes me as valuable. Maybe you find zoning to be really disruptive to your experience, and would rather avoid zoning than have more intense change-of-environment experiences; I won’t invent some strawman about that to make you justify your position, but I don’t think it’s a common one. Maybe some sort of magic wormhole network with a loading screen that isn’t black or like a movie title card would be more to your liking? You can make the world discontinuous without creating abrupt non-diagetic UI for moving within it.

(A game where the smooth connectedness of regions or their spatial relationships was significant to the gameplay itself would probably be an exception. If it’s meaningful to be halfway between two zone centres versus two-thirds one way due to rule changes, say, or if reasoning about latitude/longitude matters to navigation, I could see it maybe being worth doing seamlessness, though I suspect that’d still be better done by hiding zone transitions than preventing them.)

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

retpocileh posted:

Hmm, so what happens at the zoneline, do all the mobs just disappear from your screen? Can you still hit them from across the zone line? Can you like just run back and forth over it causing them to yo-yo?

When you drag a mob and get to a maximum distance from its spawn location or to a zone line, the mob goes invulnerable and walks back to its spawn before resetting. I don’t think it’s hard, and you could have diagetic zone markers like cave exits or bridges or cliffs or whatever.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

This team couldn’t make a good Solitaire game for the GameBoy, it doesn’t really matter how ambitious the project is.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

In real life, the terrain comes before the cities. They’re just being realistic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Node posted:

Vanguard's OST is six hours and forty-five minutes long. It's stunning compared to the sound track of any other mmorpg, or any game. And they're pretty nice tracks too.

tilts his head sideways like a dog who has played FFXIV