Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007
The good, The bad, Im the one with the gun.

Jebediah posted:

I can't remember the last time I played an MMO where it required a group to take down the trash. Maybe in an instanced raid, but I too hate instanced content.

He could solve this by going directly to end game content. But then magic classes will destroy gear classes and naked rogues might become a thing again.

Making games is hard, making balanced games is 10x harder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007

Vomik posted:

Help! I’ve fallen and can’t rise up

He should not have gated Resurrection behind so many barriers

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007

Ehud posted:

That’s more of an example of why faithfully recreating the exact design (NO CHANGES) of a 15 year old game is problematic.

Many of us wanted a Progression server, Give me 15 years of WOW in 3 or 4 years. Classic is clearly dropping players now that they know the game was more grind NPCs then do quests. Ahh the fun of classic.

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007

knox posted:

Why did that happen though? I thought the general issue was there wasn't enough of a population for the open world PvP model to sustain itself, even at launch, and it sort of snowballed from there. I've seen people praise the game & gameplay so if the population was good at launch what caused a mass exodus from the jump?

Unlike EvE online, most "Hardcore" PvP games are written by fairly dumb people who get taken advantage of the PvP wolves demand for pray.

PvP games die on something called the fairness encounter rate. If the world is to small, has to many choke points, and to many wolves, any non wolves go poof in fairly short order. If your game then also has crafting, few people will actully do crafting and those that do will min max PVP crafting to every advantage they can.

So the encounter rate is about like this:
Wolves want 70% + success rates but can tolerate less epically if it means more constant action.
Non wolves will tolerate 20%-30% failure rates for a given action. They also want feedback as to why something failed and how they can do better at say, getting away or past the wolves. (Stealth, builds that can outrun wolves, counter tactics of various types).

If you want your game to be a success and demand PVP, you need to solve the puzzle above otherwise you will get a rush of players, they kill the population, and leave the game.

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007

Subjunctive posted:

Why not? Procedural generation of terrain is the type of procgen with the best usual results.

like you could even make that a core mechanic of a game, New player gets added to the edge of the map or something. Its a "Hard" one to do in some cases, but a sparwling world where you start with a small bit of land that you own would be a cool thing.

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007
I dont think Zones are that big of a deal. Classic TLP EQ is scaling because of the zone model that the original solved with day long lists for groups. WoW uses phasing (zones but invis I think).

The real problem is no public engine is setup for MMOs. So you cant go to Lumberyard, or Epic, or whatever and just get an engine with built in "can scale to 2000 players, stream load, and only give updates based on player distance." Hell Satisfactory had a hell of a time just because players were in different spots on a big map. That was limited to 4 people I think.

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007

Node posted:

This game is going to get released and it's going to own. I've never been wrong about this kind of thing before.

I've preordered New World AND Tabula Rasa!

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007

30.5 Days posted:

Crowdfunding Disappointment Addiction is a serious problem.

At the time couwdfunding was popular it was stupidly costly to build an MMO and that price is only going up, not down. The days of pumping out a new ultima engine, enough pixel art to make a world, and get said actully played (other then some super retro call back) all on a 20 man team are long gone.

The other side of the coin is that you had 20+ years of board game and RPG players who were lots and lots of mini communities with lots of independent ideas going left and right who all came of age in the 90s and early 2000s who wanted to make digital versions of the long worked on ideas aka "The Vision" (TM).

The up and coming people have not had the community or breeding ground for new ideas like we've had in the past, instead the field is getting dominated by old guard and a few celebs. This is a sad thing for all of us and most of us look forward to when it gets fixed when cost to create MMOs comes down.

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007

cmdrk posted:

i'd reckon this is half rose-tinted glasses and half genuine goodness, but i feel like older MMOs oozed with world lore that were strongly reminiscent of the best fantasy novels - building a world that feels like it's seen the ages go by and been lived in by various peoples and creatures.

Classic EQ lore was half based on an earlier MUD and half written by the gamers. But the first game made no attempt to say anything but here is a sandbox with levels and dragons and dungeons go have fun. Kunark just went BIG on crazy lore. Never told you the lore directly but instead put it in the various uber quests (VP key). kind of cool as hell stuff kept going till POP when I think the players took on the big damm hero trope.

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007

Ehud posted:

I have no game dev experience.

But I think if I set out to make an MMO, in 8 years (I think that's how long ago this game was announced) I could create an MMO in Unity where you could log in to a start zone create a character, kill some mobs, loot em, etc. which is basically what they have accomplished lol

The real magic is the Netcode. No one has released anything with good netcode and real support. Ya random wow copies of server code exist, but no one wants to use WOWs engine from 2005. Turbine back in the day tried and got something kind of working, but DDO for example still has all kinds of weird jank. WoW, Amazon, and Square have the money, and Square put in a fairly noticeable lag into FFXIV. Wildstar I think stole the a netcode guy from WoW.

Heck the fighting game community is moving to save states and rewind to account for network jitter, this of course wont work on an MMO. Unreal and Unity are built for a range of like 4 to 16 clients. A few teams push it to 100 with major changes. If your going to 1000+ your now in a dark art known by a few dudes in Nebraska.

When some studio like Epic feels netcode is important to scale to 100+ or if Amazon releases New World's engine for others to make games you might see this get fixed. So far no one big enough sees selling an MMO engine as a money maker.

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007

Sachant posted:

Considering this game was originally pitched as a classic EQ successor and still claims to be trying to do that, I can't imagine that the biggest hurdle is replicating netcode sufficient for combat and movement mechanics that worked on dial-up.

Oddly, they might be more successful using classic EQ netcode.

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007
Ill complain that my chosen class is to weak at every pass I get, but refuse to change to a more competitive class.

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007

Givin posted:

This could really turn it around for Vanguard.™

Give me my blood mage back!!!

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007
At this point I assume they are making a game for them to play and no one else

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007

hobocrunch posted:

Sure- You know Pantheon is doing Pre-Alpha tests every month with thousands of players right? Also Cohh is an investor for either 100k or 200k, I forget.

Who are all under NDA and cant talk about it.

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007

Node posted:

That's what I figured. Which is really sad. I hate the idea of a game you can't really play ever again.

Daybreak has all the Vanguard data sitting on some old dusty server somewhere and they're just doing nothing with it. If you just did some basic fixing of the engine so it performed better, they'd have a huge MMORPG ready for people to subscribe to.

You dont know how many firms have totally lost stuff like entire source codes, its 100% reasonable that they have no way to get it up and running. There could even be some funny stuff like assets in formats that don't exist anymore blocking normal tools like 3DStudioMax. Getting Vanguard up and running means not only the source code, but all the tools, Hacks, and so much more are lost to history and they dont have the staff with skills to start this.

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007

I said come in! posted:

I wish we as fans / consumers, could get some sort of response from DayBreak & Darkpaw (the current owners of the Evequest IP) about this stuff. But neither are big on communication. if I had to guess, I would say they run a very tight ship and do not have the staff to dedicate to anything but what they have right now.

The few times we see real change in EQ, we get an offical announcement, some stuff on test a few weeks ahead of a TLP, and thats about it. Lots of level design is copy / paste of old zones for new Xpacs (return to X!).

Whats funny is EQ is still the biggest game on the balance sheet. But they only put in a fraction of the work, totally ignore botting, hacking, or even doing a dedicated GM, and that chases away players of all types since you can be sitting on xyz camp and bam, stolen by a bot team. (O ya item is totally for sale for Kr, ignore that we sit on the camp 24 / 7).

So the game is both highly profitable, and totally ignored and treated as a cash cow.

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007
At this point I assume some unknown game will happen first.

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007

LuckyCat posted:

Vanguard released (or maybe I’m truly remembering the beta) without access to the big main capital and they just had the entrances closed off. That game was real tho.

I tried that game, best time ever clearing some random cave with no loot with a group. I never got to see the city at all or get past level 20.

Also, give me the blood mage back dang it!

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007

LuckyCat posted:

Vanguard was so good before they added the central newbie area (except performance lmao). In beta I had the most fun of any MMOs exploring the starting areas. I had a high elf and exploring that city was breathtaking and I loved the music in that area. I was a ranger and exploring the surrounding areas felt dangerous but fun, peaking into caves and seeing what I could handle solo.

drat, the first nail in the coffin for VG was definitely merging everyone into a singular starting area, and eventually newbie island.

I honestly feel that most MMOs fail in that they wont/ cant keep old areas relivent at all. Stuff like the Paw upgrade are mostly unheard of in games and they did it 2 or 3 times If you were there you even got to see ranks of knolls attacking. Turning Kithicor into a nightmare fuel zone was actully kinda amazing. Evolving the world each xpac would have been a very cool thing to do so that the world responded to hundreds of max level people running around after a time.

Instead we got Raid Quest :P

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007

Groovelord Neato posted:

The reason people reminisce about Vanguard is it had interesting classes which has been discussed in this thread and the MMO history one. Say what you will about Brad but the man could hire some class designers.

No one wants to innovate in this space, not really. Enshrouded put out one of the most bland RPG progression with only the known stuff. Final Fantasy MMOs are still holy trinity but at least have some flavor. It was well known in Blizzard that the class champions were just devs with an extra job they had to do.