Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

megalodong
Mar 11, 2008

Freakazoid_ posted:

I've seen quite a few people say the good parts of Vangaurd were very good, except I don't think I've seen anyone explain what the good parts were. At all.

The class design was great. It wasn't balanced at all (paladins were far and away the best tanks due to the number of immunities they had, disciples could solo anything and everything), but the classes were really interesting and if you didn't care about Hardcore World First Raiding (lol there was none anyway), it was fine.

The world was great, but really let down by the awful chunking system they had.

The initial storylines for each race's starting area were really cool, and very different from each other. But then they shoved everyone into the island of dawn and we all got a generic, if focused 1-10 experience.

The dungeons were actual adventures to go through. Some weren't finished at all due to, yet again, development issues, but they had some real interesting ones, like the dungeon where you piloted a flying mech thing, the entirety of trengal keep etc.

THe music owned.

The crafting was cool, and I'm certain FFXIV was inspired by it.

Diplomacy was a neat but really undercooked idea.

The engine was a buggy mess, they modeled and rendered npc eyeballs and tongues, it did no occlusion culling, it loaded everything in a single thread so your whole game would lock up while it grabbed all the player textures...

The whole game was basically a giant collection of flashes of brilliance stuck into something really lovely. If you could handle the crap bits you could have a lot of fun in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

megalodong
Mar 11, 2008

It's important to remember VG was entirely deserving of its fate, as it was an awful game in almost every other way. But oh boy those things it did well it did really well.

megalodong
Mar 11, 2008

Xolve posted:

What was that huge castle city with the long rear end bridge, the gate house keep and all that, that you could see from half the game away- but never actually make it into?

Because this is the Vanguard Engine experience in a nutshell.

New Targonor? I dunno if that's what you mean though, since you could go in there.

megalodong
Mar 11, 2008

I hope they can match the orc starting zone from vanguard. Shame it just flat out ended when you got to the forest with creepy brain parasite plant people and gulgrethor fortress though.

megalodong
Mar 11, 2008

I played FFXI up till aht urghan, then wow, with bits of project1999/vanguard/tera/ffxiv/vanilla wow servers/neverwinter mixed in.

FFXI is still my favourite.

"drinking pubby tears" was the dumbest poo poo and made sure i never played anything like archeage or the various UO emulators.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

megalodong
Mar 11, 2008

Personally i just liked ffxi (and eq1 which ive only played as project 1999) because they felt like worlds with games built around them rather than the other way around.

Which i fully admit isn't what everyone's after with a game.