Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]
I just don't understand.

Why is it so hard to just recreate Everquest in 2020? Why can no team seem to be able to do what young college-level kids did 20 years ago with none of the experience, money, or technology?

Am I just missing something? Everything I've seen from Pantheon looks like a traditional MMO where you pick a class, throw some spells on your hotbar, and tab-target spam abilities on static mobs with 1998 level animations. What is so unique about this game that requires an unreal amount of time to create? Is the term "incompetence" all we really have to describe this cluster?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]

Ehud posted:

good news, everyone

New pre-alpha 5 footage just dropped!

looks like the game is almost finished!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGtB7F3ddBM

It looks like something put together using Unity in about 3 months.

However, there is a certain charm in how it looks and sounds. Maybe if this was their original alpha they had before putting it up on Kickstarter.

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]

Who is this investor that saw the last live stream and gave these guys 1 million dollars? Is this one of those instances where they pitched Pantheon as a "Online multiplayer game, just like the popular Fortnite!" and the investors all threw their credit cards at them.

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]
All of you guys are going to look so silly when this game comes out this summer and has the most incredible next-generation MMO content.

Ehud posted:

13. The return of swimming.

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]

Well, the good news is if they were going for a game that looks like an Everquest remake from 2007 then I think they nailed it.

They have only 3 devs? Is that good for what they are showing? I have no idea?

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]
Pantheon: Mostly unimpressive stuff

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]
If you were given a summer project by your professor at school to make an RPG, how long would it take to create something that looks better than Pantheon? Let's say you could use Unreal 4 with free assets only.

Obviously the netcode and servers are the big thing in an MMO, but I just feel like they could have made the game better by using a pre-built engine. Unless I'm missing something and their game has unique requirements like "we need to make sure our game looks like Everquest 2, but in 2023."

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]
Ah, so this is an artistic choice?

I see.

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]

LuckyCat posted:

I’ll play the role of someone who levels more slowly than everyone else and is too shy to participate in guild groups. Everyone has to contribute somehow.

I'll log in the first week and be very excited to meet everyone and do all this cool content with you all, then never log in again. A week later I'll go to the forum and complain that developers just don't make good MMOs anymore.

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]
Where do these guys get the funding for a revamp like that? Last I heard, they don't have the Chris Roberts money pit to jump into.

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]

Incredible. Great work, team. Keep going!

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]
Can't wait for the battle royal mode announcement.

Seriously though, I guess they are trying to bring the new generation to their game that's been in development for a decade, but who are these young kinds that want to play Everquest reloaded? Is that audience larger than the 20-30% of EQ hardliners they're going to lose by shifting like this?

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]
LFM bat nipple quest. Why is the drop rate so bad?

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]

Well, it kind of looks like Fortnite so maybe they will be able to capitalize on the new audience.

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]

Frog Act posted:

what the gently caress is 247 anyway? what kind of game could you possibly make using MMO assets and gameplay loops (especially ones that look this awful) besides an MMO?

A gacha old-school Everquest where every mob that you kill spins a roulette wheel and you can increase the % of cool item drops using Pantheon jewels that are purchased from the ingame store?

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]
drat, getting fired over Teams text chat after 10 years at the company? That's a new one for me.

Why would anyone want to work in the games industry?

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]
I'm beginning to think that these fallen are never rising....

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]
So, uhh, where are they going to get money to keep the lights on? The playerbase isn't interested in a Tarkov mode, and I can't imagine any investors are looking at this as the next big MMO. Are they just funding the development with debt? Kind of crazy to do that in a high interest rate environment.

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]
I know everyone has their own thing they like, but seriously, in 2023 you are taking time off work and hoping to play a pre-alpha Pantheon for 24 hours?

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]

quote:

Pantheon may launch without accessible capital cities

Huh? Isn't that like the first thing you when you make a game? You build your capital city and then the areas around it to have a more natural transition with the setting, right? You don't just make your map and then go, "Oh poo poo, where do I put the capital city??"

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]
VIPs of this game: What happened to you? Is there anything at all I can do to help you?

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]
Pantheon: I'm no longer interested in this MMO.

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]
Yes, but aren't Unity store assets created by professionals?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]
Does the game have an auto logout after like 1 hour, or will that be a launch feature?