Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Node posted:

I think I would. His last game, Vanguard, I miss sorely, even though it was unfinished and had lots of technical problems. Maybe not being under the pressure of SOE (they don't exist anymore) would give them the freedom to make something decent.

I don't fault people for being pessimistic about another McQuaid game at all, but I personally really like his game design philosophy.

Vanguard was entirely on McQuaid not SOE. SOE was just an angel investor after Microsoft cut ties with development when they found out that after three years of development all they had was an engine and some macro tools that didn't even work with the current build of the engine.

I wonder how much of Pantheon was coded by people being paid in exposure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I thought he wasn't hired? Isn't this the game he started in his garage after a failed KS because so few people trust him with anything anymore?

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Given the size of the dev team, the huge world actually worked against the game. There were a few out of the way dungeons that were straight up never populated. Most likely because the guy working on it quit/was laid off and no one had the time to pick up what he was working on.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Node posted:

I don't think they are fairly complete. Far from it. You probably saw a small part which was mostly done which they showed off as a proof of concept.

Sounds like a nearly complete copy of Vanguard to me.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

MF_James posted:

poo poo happened all the time in EQ1, I had specifically created a monk and leveled up to max, guild geared him etc just so I could train other guilds with him and my druid to fight for raid bosses. Ssra temple was the most fun biggest shitshow ever on my server (I had fun because our guild always won, we cock blocked every other guild from the emperor for months because he was the last piece of the key to get to the last raid zone of the expansion).

When I first started playing, right before Kunark, there was a memorable bit of drama in my guild. There was a full guild group in Lower Guk camping the Thick Banded Belt. It drops but the guild member checking the corpses steals it and claims nothing dropped. This was like 2-3 weeks before they added loot notifications. Eventually the guild finds out and kicks him. Two of the officers make low level characters, Thryweninjad and ATBB and dueled each other constantly during prime time. At the time duel notifications were server wide. So almost every day for a month every person on Xegony was spammed with Thrywe Ninjad a TBB.

I’d probably give any game a try if there was a chance it could recreate the feeling of a decent sized community where people knew other and reputation mattered more than hear score.

Macdeo Lurjtux fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Apr 23, 2018

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

MF_James posted:

You were on Xegony too? Best server for drama, the forums were a loving disaster and the server itself was rife with assholes. I ended up in the super alliance IS/SOA/VS for a bit so that was a loving trip of drama, then ended up in CoV, MS and finally ended in DT, so things chilled out for a bit, though I generated some drama myself during my MS days because our sister guild was lead by some dude I can't remember the name of but he was a prick.

Oof, the guild I was in was Mortalitas Evito, the guild that MS drama bombed out of.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Freakazoid_ posted:

You pretty much described DAoC's battlegrounds. Easily accessible at different levels, especially on servers with free level 20's/30's and sometimes better balanced than end-game RvR.

Yeah, WAR was just a post WoW version of DAoC with somehow worse netcoding.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

joshtothemaxx posted:

Wasn't that dude's EQ name something like "Tigole Biddies"?

Yeah, he’s also the guy that made a lengthy blogpost about how his guild missed a world first EQ raid boss kill because he accidentally sliced his sack open shaving in the shower.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Just because the content is era specific doesn’t mean the classes are. EQ TLE servers still run on modern architecture with years of bug fixes, buffs and QOL improvements. Like in ‘99 a ranger wouldn’t start receiving spells until level 9 and wouldn’t have enough to fill all 8 gems until mid 20s. Not to mention a skill caps well below what they currently are. I think at the time rangers dual wield capped at 100 at level 50.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Why not both?

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Azubah posted:

Wasn't all the cool things about Vanguard made by basically the new guy behind Brad's back?

Supposedly Vanguard was done almost entirely in the last year before launch by a couple of programmers reassigned from the EQ teams using macros. Brad was MIA during almost all of the development time along with the cronies he populated his senior staff with.

Of course this is all hearsay from an anonymous poster on the Fires of Heaven board claiming to be one of those programmers. The post was also the source of the rumors about Brad breaking into peoples offices to look for Oxy.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

I said come in! posted:

Is completely passed me by that Brad is a goon, but he has only made 25 posts and has not posted since 2014.

Yeah the account was made for him to expressly shill in that thread for Pantheon.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

LuckyCat posted:

I mean hey, with Aradune's dirt nap, there's a .001% chance someone with common sense will take over. Ah who am I kidding. When Nagafen's Lair freezes over.

With Daybreak nostalgia mining I wouldn't put that too far off of a chance.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I got a nice +4 to everything neck for slaying my Brainwurm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Frog Act posted:

I don’t really use discord, what do the symbols imply

Imagine clicking on a seemingly active thread and seeing the only people posting have the same avatar.