Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

I googled it last night and what appears to be the biggest one had.....9 players on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

I want this game to be good so bad I even clicked through some streams and watched a couple minutes and liked the way it looked. its gonna be awful I bet

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

I'm gonna buy this game and play a Shaman for two months just like I did that other game that was just like this and had a cool bard system and a big open world.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Is mcquaid the one who is probably spending kickstarter money on Vicodin and drizzt books?

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

I don't think it's changed since it got to the point where you could make a character and wander around but all the scripting and classes were broken. Also, I would love to smoke opium with brad mccquaid

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

:eyepop: between that and the goons who paid $750 for Shroud of the Avatar I am beginning to think people in this subforum have a problem with videogames. Seriously, though, I agonize over buying a $60 game like once a year and consider it a ripoff if I don't get at least $1/hour of value out of it, which seems very unlikely to happen with a bad mmo

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

I love that stuff too but I don't like the idea of something being more difficult, pull and encounter wise, than, say, EQ or FFXI and over 100 deaths sounds like it tips from punishing to insane. I'm gonna buy this game anyway though cus it uses the EQ style nameplates and thats enough for me to spend what will probably be $60

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

I'm betting it will survive longer than like Vanguard, though, watching those videos I think it all actually looks pretty good (if a little slow, like, the combat is very EQ paced even though there's no reason for like the big swing delays and stuff these days). Its also nice that they're moving around a lot but it raises questions for me about actual mechanics, like do they expect players to generally make their way into dungeons and clear them or is it going to be camping like EQ? are there any fast travel systems at all? I'm ambivalent and can live without fast travel but most people probably can't

those concerns aside I actually really like the extremely generic but acceptable graphics because the style is just right imo. The Ogre in particular is well animated and looks cool. Watching the Cleric stream looks like they've done a pretty dope job balancing out mana and healing frequency + cast time, dude is using his smaller direct heal constantly to keep the tank up and popping a bigger one now and again.

i share your general concern however, watching this I can't help but think the only people who are going to play this are going to be whoever still remembers vanguard (the posters in this thread) and all 500 people who still play project 1999

ed: they're really going outta teh way to emulate the classic mmo experience, which is really highlighted by them taking 45 minutes to get their group together and start killing things even in a pre arranged stream lol

Frog Act fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Aug 7, 2018

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

its gonna get a patch that adds mercenaries and exp potions from a F2P coin shop within a year if they don't balance their expectations. all that being said the gameplay already looks considerably better than SOTA, which is a garbage fire on every single level

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

I said come in! posted:

I really like how Rift handles open world group content, in that you are just thrown into a random 20 person raid group and kill mobs. I want an MMO that is focused entirely on that. Make grouping super easy to do if you are going to require it to make any progress.

Rift was my favorite MMO ever but tbh the rift system wasn't really the highlight of the game, though when it worked it worked really well. Like during the recent relaunch it was the only intact part from when the game was good in 2011 and was a lot of fun cus there were 3-4k people levelling and thus they were full on most of the time (for a week or so at least).

That being said they were ultimately just a grind to unlock certain elements for source cores used for really niche instance rolls back in 2012 or so when it was a functional game, and quickly stopped being an organic thing most of the time and were organized like raids. There were floating groups that did them but they had to balance for idiocy and so they were mostly just standing around spamming damage abilities because nothing could be tanked or healed or anything, it was all just random. Except for the big zone specific event which required not only a lot of players but specific cooperation

Rift's biggest strength were its pitch perfect tab target wow-clone raids imo. they were loving great

I know everyone is correctly (to a degree) sarcastic about the friend making element of games like p99 adn ffxi but I do genuinely think that hanging out pulling stuff in the overworld on a persistent server builds community more than those theme parkey rift type public quests because of -insert played out arguments about instances and risk v reward-

also lol Rift was up to 1100 players on steam with prime (which probably represents about, idk, 2/3rds of the playerbase? maybe less, I never played through steam despite playing everything else that way) but is now down to 2-400 tops at all times. RIP

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Ehud posted:

Robe casters are up on the site now

https://pantheonmmo.com/classes/wizard/
https://pantheonmmo.com/classes/summoner/
https://pantheonmmo.com/classes/enchanter/

Summoner sounds ambitious. In addition to the normal pet class stuff, they can summon walls to protect allies, a raft that you can sail on, a ladder where you can scale walls in certain locations, an escape portal, random creatures that Enchanters can then charm, and by far the most important ability in the game:

Weaponize Object
You summon an object from the surrounding environment to drop or hurl at your enemy. The larger the object, the more damage it will inflict. The size of the object is determined by your current level, Strength, Constitution and Intelligence.

this is extremely dubious sounding and I feel like its gonna have a stock of like 10 things that change vaguely based on the zone type you're in. Enchanter sounds just like EQ chanters though which is very cool, I love buffing classes

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Byolante posted:

In legion blizzard managed to put in a maze dungeon you can't map. Its possible if smart enough people try hard enough.

how? is it just randomly generated every time?

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Thursday Next posted:

Fake edit:

We also saw this years ago in original vanilla WoW too. Spellbooks had a chance to drop from certain bosses in a dungeon. By week three or so of running that dungeon, characters without the spell granted by that book (tranq shot) were being disinvited from raids and groups.

So if you want to come and do your dungeon for Celestial Healing or whatever, and you have the choice to take a hunter who does 10 damage or a hunter who does 100 damage, well, I know who i pick.

To forestall any argument on the points yes dps not everything etc. but unless you get a crowd that’s got basically no overlap with WoW at all, keeping up w the Joneses will send your players looking things up.

I mean if it crashes and burns and ends up with a p1999 level of population people will group with you even if you're naked and using the wrong spells because they're so nice and desperate to keep their game alive

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Ehud posted:

Who wants to start a guild w/ me

I will make a cleric and play this game with goons if it comes out

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

I said come in! posted:

I'm making a tank and want to play with goons if this game comes out. Gigantic if because I still mostly lean towards Pantheon being canceled in the next year or so.

:same: but that being said I really like the way Cleric and Shaman look to be shaping up, if Shaman can offheal or mainheal decently (not as well as cleric, obvs, but serviceably) and also debuff/buff/wolf stuff I will be a happy camper. I just want an EQ style experience that isnt exactly what I'm doing now (sitting in high hold keep on a waiting list to kill goblins) but something very similar with better graphics

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

It may look like something from 2007 but it looks like it plays like something from 2003, so I'm getting more hyped with every stream

Love to watch six people meticulously crowd control two generic mobs and desperately try to finish them off in time without pulling anything else, unironically

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Ehud posted:

no. I give it a 50/50 shot of ever being released and wouldn't be surprised if development on the game shut down at any moment.

I just want to play more everquest but with new zones and graphics that are slightly updated. This is pretty much the only thing on the horizon that will scratch that itch.

:same: also I don't want to play shards cus I've had enough of old school Everquest as an engine / gameplay style to last for quite a while

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

some madman on reddit organized every screenshot he could find of Pantheon from the entire development cycle into one big imgur gallery :psyduck: don't open it on your phone I think there's over a thousand images in here

https://imgur.com/a/izvISdX

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Call me a milquetoast lover of grognard tropey fantasy, but I think those look pretty fuckin great. I'm excited for this game but the rewards for donations thing has me spooked, I hope it doesn't precipitate a cycle of SOTA/SC style begging/inducing that creates an elite class of dipshit idiot whales at the top of the pyramid

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Ehud posted:

Look at this swole monk

hell yeah. I love that early-2000s-but-higher-resolution aesthetic so much

TheAgent posted:

they've been literally selling monthly access for $15 so you can post on the forums

since 2014

plus a whole lot more lol

TheAgent posted:

also a presale of monthly and yearly subscriptions

since 2014

lol

now I'm not saying this isn't shameless, but it doesn't seem to imply a slippery slope towards the kinda poo poo sota pulled, yet. I hope

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Ehud posted:

If they show Black Rose Keep again then I’ll know this game is never coming out

its getting to feel like streamers for this game have received a mythological type curse that has them eternally fighting a bunch of generic dudes in a samey castle/dungeon/banquet hall for all eternity, over and over. i hope they manage to demonstrate an aesthetic sense for environmental distinctiveness and storytelling, because thats the stuff that made EQ environments so good, even when they technically looked so bad

they should be religiously watching this guy's videos and trying to recreate this poo poo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=channel?UCOd8-vBSXyHYqj-YN0eVPLQ

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Ehud posted:

That guy's videos own if you want to go on an EQ nostalgia trip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SAyxdS1SSoo

I don't even have real EQ nostalgia, only EQOA nostalgia and mixed feelings for the six months I spent taking oxycontin and playing EQMac (which was stuck in 2002) and every single time I click on a link to this dude's videos I end up watching at least one all the way through because they're so good. they also highlight how incredibly good EQ's lore an world is despite being maybe the most concentrated collection of fantasy tropes in gaming history. there isn't much in EQ that's actually original in any way which is partially what makes it so good, theres like this wealth of cultural implication in every race/class/setting built into fantasy which makes it feel considerably deeper than the actual content of the game might imply.

watching this mysteries video for the third time I have the sinking feeling that there isn't even a slim chance Pantheon will be able to replicate EQ's style of passive environmental storytelling. I literally can't imagine it being done on a boring brown/grey/greenish modern MMO engine and that really bums me out

ed:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92hjzGRqiZQ

this everquest safari video he did is actually a great counterpoint to my "not unique" assertion about everquest, I guess I forget how uniquely interpreted many of the tropes were and how strange some of the ones they made up were, like Frogloks or Ratonga in EQ2

Frog Act fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Nov 30, 2018

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

did...did they just show the same poo poo but with a Druid this time? the same keep? i didn't get to watch. I hope not.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

I said come in! posted:

You are correct.

jfc that is unbelievably lazy, I wish I could say I find it hard to believe they've only managed to scrape together one single functional area in all these years but that is probably exactly the case. RIP

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

quote:

What do you actually expect from them? They are NOT going to show you every drat thing they have until it is actually READY. Until the load it into PA they will not show it. They are taking the game development nice and slow, as they should. Hell I am in testing of another game title that is up and coming. That game is in Beta and Pantheon is looking WAY farther along in development than this other un-named title. Both have been in development for about the same length of time.

I am GLAD that they are keeping a close guard on the game. I am GLAD they are not releasing every single thing as soon as it's in the concept stage. I am glad they are taking their time.

Because I feel they are doing it the right way like this. Slow and deliberate.

quote:

No, I'm grateful they show anything at all. I'm playing other games and doing other things while I wait for them to release a finished product.

Stop being impatient, it's the entire problem with the gaming industry as a whole. Developers get the hype train rolling, consumers blow it out of proportion and when the product is released different/changed than the initial vision due to certain constraints, people throw a fit.

Let them work on the game, let them continue to improve it and just be grateful they're continuing to be so open and showing us anything.

reddit liked it i guess

Frog Act fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Nov 30, 2018

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

yeah but the threads complaining about it are full of derisive responses and downvoted to 0, people are really going all in on the "its an alpha what do you expect god" or "you just weren't paying attention, we saw like, a dozen new animations and some sparkles" which is still a terribly poor showing for all the work they've put in

also i posted one of those threads lol

game's community seems to be really focused on making sure they aren't infiltrated by evil WoW players or other insufficiently dorky people, which seems to be a big problem with these "old school" type games that require a community to not be toxically elitist.

Frog Act fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Nov 30, 2018

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

You'd think all that oxy would give him the focus and power to produce some pretty dope zones at least

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

I like the way the new models look and Cleric has a pretty appropriate looking spell selection, but I think they're overdoing it on mana regen and mezzing

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Yeah, every video I watch seems to have similar tickrates to P99, almost, which necessitates mezzing after almost ever major cast / mid pull for the Druid and Cleric, it seems. I definitely want mezzing to be in the game, but I'd like it if it was faster - someone on the subreddit did the math and found that in an hour of playing in a group, the druid was mezzing for 20 minutes. 1/3rd of your time is too much. It should be like, half that, and the other time should be spent actively casting buffs/debuffs/heals if they want those classes to be fun.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Wait does this not have a map function at all? :psyduck:

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

I didn't enjoy printing out a giant three ring binder of maps for EQMac or using a second monitor as a map in P99, and I'm sure as gently caress not going to enjoy it in a modern game that otherwise has a normal UI. gently caress that, the stuff we've seen so far isn't even close to distinctive enough to let you navigate via visual landmarks.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Holyshoot posted:

What is mezzing? I started with ffxi. Never got into eq cause I wasnt old enough to afford the sub.

its the equivalent of FFXI's resting mechanic from vanilla, only more of it

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

I stopped playing on P99 at level 26ish because it would take hours and hours to find a group, and even getting in the informal queue was lucky

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

insider posted:

P99 has a very healthy player base what are you talking about?

it's "healthy" but it doesn't feel like a super full server to me - ~700 during the day, twice that at night, and half of them are in E Commonlands tunnel. I played to level 27ish earlier this year and quit because its just too hard to find groups most of the time since most zones are completely empty and most camps are uncamped

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

I have a level 27 Shaman on p1999 and i stopped playing because I couldn't find consistent groups, and I never actually played EQ in its prime so I don't know the solo spots / alternative camps or the routes to get there, which makes it pretty hard to level. and then in the places where there are consistent groups (presumably because they're quantitatively the best camps at whatever level) are often full and have literal hours long waiting lists

I'd actually really like to be able to get to cap and see some of the stuff in Norrath but without lots of low level players its really hard

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Lord I'd love a functioning version of Vanguard with all the nonsense features like diplomacy and boats properly implemented. In the meantime I am going to reinstall p1999 and see if there are more groups for my Shaman, as I lucked into some extremely dope equipment that is kinda going to waste.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Diplomacy was basically nonsense at launch like a lot of their awesome ideas for systems that never quite played out. despite the game being fundamentally unfinished, its the only thing since EverQuest that made me feel like I was actually dropping into a solid world in progress rather than a theme park

I've been reading the Pantheon forums and stuff though and I'm sure it is going to die immediately because they're all lunatics who are hostile to the idea of even having a map in the game at all, much less quest markers or something, which is going to alienate everyone not already level 60 on P1999

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

I think its possible to avoid the WOW style map that supplants visual navigation while still giving you the tools to get around. Like in FFXI, the map was a full-screen thing with nested tabs that required clicking through and could tell you where whatever you needed was (you, your party, tracked mobs, other stuff I'm forgetting) but couldn't just run via the map because it prevented you from moving outside of autorun which would get you fuckin killed. On top of that, you had to buy the maps from a vendor in a mid game zone for a pretty substantial amount of gil if you were low level, so people would often do without as long as someone in their group had it. I'd be okay with something that approximated those effects but they've been pretty consistent in their "there won't be a map" position for ages which is just stupid.

The only way it won't be dumb is if they really pull some spectacular game design out of their asses and make zones that are truly unforgettable and distinct enough to be navigable easily, which, from all the gameplay and screenshots I've seen, they just aren't doing.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Yeah I've completely given up hope on them ever releasing anything playable. I remember watching a video of a party in a super generic Everquest ripoff world like six years ago, then again three years ago, then again last year and the only discernable difference was some detail and a new class that was also ripped wholesale from Everquest. That's fine because I want them to just appropriate that poo poo and make a game but its unimaginable to me how just stealing design ideas from the past and implementing them in a Unity game has taken them so long.

its because brad mcquaid needs to do a bunch of crushed up roxies every morning that spell out the word "vanguard" on his desk before he'll do anything

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Is project faerthale or whatever somehow different from the development on the core game? is that why they keep coming up with these crazy half-baked ideas for incredibly in-depth mechanics, and then promise to somehow implement them everywhere?