Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Zil posted:

Of course Aradune is a green armored Ranger with a flaming sword.

War Wizard. He made his own class that nobody else can play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I've seen quite a few people say the good parts of Vangaurd were very good, except I don't think I've seen anyone explain what the good parts were. At all.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
At this point I have a hard time seeing gameplay getting any better. I'd rather get an idea how long they expect people to level, what kind of gear variety we're looking at, how they're going to handle overcrowding, hours that aren't prime time, and other ways to keep people interested other than shouting LFG in a zone for hours.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

forge posted:

The fact that there will be camps again is music to my ears. I don't get the issue with a group running a monopoly, since you have to actually fight to the boss which is not easy. The point of open world is to make items actually rare, and cause contention with other players. Just roll up and ks them, who cares.

You know how open pvp usually leads to the sheep leaving the server, until there's only wolves, and then the wolves leave when the better wolves win?

There's a pve version of this. It happens when a few big guilds want the same open world bosses for their loot.

At best, you get everyone to "agree" to a calendar that regulates when which guilds get to farm what. Otherwise, everyone tries to kill steal and you get something like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Opl77bP7vbY

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Brad McQuaid is very glad you want to support his pain killer addiction.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I like to keep my list simple: I've played all the MMOs.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

dreffen posted:

Even the real lovely ones? Like Neocron and... whatever that one with playable dragons was? Horizons?

Ok not neocron, you got me there.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

dreffen posted:

I remember liking Neocron. But I also remember liking DAoC much more.

DAoC is definitely the better mmo and is my personal #1, more so than pre-trammel UO.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Givin posted:

Warhammer Tier 1 PVP was the bees knees. Matches were so much fun when the tide of battle swung back and forth and teams would keep pushing back across the map and there were so many good choke points where fights would tie up and just be massive slaughterhouses. Curbstomping a team at their graveyard was meh.

You pretty much described DAoC's battlegrounds. Easily accessible at different levels, especially on servers with free level 20's/30's and sometimes better balanced than end-game RvR.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
There have been times in MMO design history where things seemed a bit incestual, but probably because the market for them were kinda small.

And then kickstarters happened and grandma and grandpa wanted kids again.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I want to believe in magic, but the truth is people have forgotten why we moved away from slow as molasses, team-based leveling. This will remind them.

>10k at launch, <1k after a couple months.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

As in you're looking forward to the challenge, or watching from the sidelines as the servers burn?

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Ehud posted:

If they show Black Rose Keep again then I’ll know this game is never coming out

oh well look at that, rip pantheon

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

CoffeeBooze posted:

But how does having an in game map that can be easily ignored prevent people from exploring?

"It's not enough to succeed, others must fail" except in a video game.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Node posted:

In Ultima you could just kill them or steal something from them. Until Trammel at least.

This was an unreliable enforcement mechanism, but it did make the garbage cleanup crew feel better.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Coming back to DAoC on a private server, combined with CoH private servers soon becoming a thing, any nostalgia I had for a modern EQ MMO is used up. You missed your chance Brad. The train has passed and you're left holding a bag of empty promises.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I once thought Garriott and McQuaid were essentially fighting for the direction of what's left of the MMO industry.

It's funny to see how both have failed, but at least Garriott tried got something that sort of looks like a game out the door.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
"key employees" also includes brad because he's busy getting high lol

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I would not have wished him dead, but when you have a drug addiction, you run the risk. RIP anyway, you crazy diamond.

Very interested to see how this project goes without him. It'll probably implode, but if it doesn't, maybe there's enough sanity left in the rest of the team to pull back some of the worst mechanics of eq1.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Someone is going to walk into that development office and remind them that this project needs to make money. I suspect Brad was the only real road block in that regard. I might be wrong but I'm betting what's left of the development team, if they don't implode, actually do want a regular paycheck well into the future and will ignore some of the more damaging and outdated gameplay aspects.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Is that the official pantheon channel?

Not a single mention of Brad's passing. No leadership changes. It looks like Brad's absence hasn't affected them. Might be a good sign?

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
fartinhale :lol:

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
If Crowfall found a bunch of gullible investors I can't see why this game can't.

I don't think life insurance plans are allowed to go to a business but I could be dead wrong, it's america after all.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I think we know what stonefish has on his mind.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

I said come in! posted:

When you die, your loot stays and monsters can loot your corpse, forcing you to kill them and get the gear back. If another player kills them first they get to keep the gear.

Didn't UO do this in the early days?

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

LuckyCat posted:

Ngl that sounds pretty rad. Which means it won’t end up in Pantheon.

It worked in UO because you had plenty of stuff you could kill on your own and there really wasn't a shortage of decent gear on the low/mid end, so if by some mishap you die and can't get to your corpse you probably had plenty of back-up gear stored at your house.

It wouldn't work in Pantheon because to mimic EQ you can't have a lot of good gear drop every day, and it's already about the corpse runs anyway so you're only screwed if you don't have friends!

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I'll stick to inhaling my own farts, tyvm.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
watching them nail the eq experience makes me sad

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
This is the legacy that brad leaves behind. Not with a ding, but with a fart, inhaled.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I'm not even sure you can get everyone to agree on what a modernized EQ looks like anyway. Just look at the split between p99 and the official TLP servers. Their differences are rather small.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Hexel posted:

I bet Smedley could save this game

Dude's working for Amazon. They're not looking so good on the gaming front either.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

History Comes Inside! posted:

Have any of the crowdfunded MMOs managed to limp over the finishing line yet?

Only if you count Shroud of the Avatar, which ended up not quite being an MMO and which managed to "release" after pretending they could just be in open beta all the time.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

FrostyPox posted:

Working hard by skipping work and pissing into mountain dew bottles in front of my computer for 18 hours for a chance at getting a 0.1% drop from a monster that spawns once every 36 hours while hoping it doesn't get stolen by another group to own the libs

Why do this online in a game when you can do this in real life with the new graphics cards/consoles? :v:

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
everquest is bart simpson, later MMOs are just the episode "bart gets famous"

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I think it's too late. It's the right decision but someone should've had the guts to confront Brad about it, not wait until after his death.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
They would've had to throw Brad's dead body under the bus, pinning all the development problems on him.

I'd believe it, too. Not that I would throw a million at them, but I'd buy that excuse.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

cmdrk posted:

I guess I've been following Star Citizen too long because those notes look reasonably well scoped comparatively. They should start selling sword jpegs like real AAAA titles

Thanks for giving them the idea, now we know they read this thread!

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
poo poo on auction houses if you must, but having to sit around waiting for a buyer for hours is boring as hell.

At least let me offload my poo poo onto a vendor so I can get stuff sold while I go do something else.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Most of eq2 looked like rear end to me, except for a handful of zones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
gonna farm manic ghouls in lower buk until I get a smooth black silk scarf