Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?

Frog Act posted:

Yeah, every video I watch seems to have similar tickrates to P99, almost, which necessitates mezzing after almost ever major cast / mid pull for the Druid and Cleric, it seems. I definitely want mezzing to be in the game, but I'd like it if it was faster - someone on the subreddit did the math and found that in an hour of playing in a group, the druid was mezzing for 20 minutes. 1/3rd of your time is too much. It should be like, half that, and the other time should be spent actively casting buffs/debuffs/heals if they want those classes to be fun.

TBH as a former EQ enchanter, IF this game ever became real (it won’t) I’d be personally offended if Brad didn’t give me a 100% of the time CC class. But, short durations are a huge pain in the rear end, I haven’t / won’t watch the streams so if it’s literally every other cast that does sound as poorly implemented as to be expected.

Also splitting healing and cc is fine imho. I don’t see a problem with that on paper if done well. CC already dictates the groups flow, putting cc on a healer would just free up more dps room. Hell I used to box chanter / cleric, give me that class as one and I’m that.

onesixtwo fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Dec 3, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

hayden. posted:

If you played at launch P99 definitely recreated the original EQ feel. All the low level zones full of people, all wearing lovely items, getting to raiding levels and trying to be the first to do stuff was really cool. I think that opportunity is gone, though.

Oh buddy I have a terrible thing to tell you. This exists and Daybreak releases a new EQ Progression server like clockwork yearly now.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

We're really just throwing around definitions of healthy without considering EverQuest addicts.. any of us talking about EQ have nostalgic brain worms where "fun activity" should be placed.

P99 is powered by hopes and dreams of tryhards rerolling alt #6-10, and people wanting to try it fresh on a whim. It's not a full server, it's extremely top heavy, and has been around for what, 7+ years now? It's not dead to people on the top end that have had raid targets on lockdown for literal years. Or for the seedy RMT market that has been in full existence on p99 since selling characters for real money was totally okay by the admins back in the day. RMT hasn't stopped. It's dead if you want to casually step into a teens-30s exp zone and expect multiple camps to be occupied with groups that aren't all pre-filled with alts getting PL'd by someone, if you run into anybody at all.

Had some really good times on p99, but that was all while leveling with a bunch of fresh people and friends from other games. Soon as you hit endgame, poo poo gets extremely ugly and just neckbeardy that makes 40m wow raids seem almost normal. Someone said it best in the EQ thread, i think, several months back. Along the lines of, "never have I experienced such insufferable discord chatter as when I'm raiding in EQ," it's so god drat true it makes me wonder why I kept going back for yet another TLP :psyduck:

onesixtwo fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Dec 14, 2018

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Wonder if that not-ogre's plate armor had skulls on it originally.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Remember this is the crowdfunded pill chase that had a volunteer based development and art team for a good while, if not still currently. A lot of the early stuff was done for free by diehard fans who already contributed hundreds of dollars to ~the vision~

Nothing about this project has made a lot of sense since day one.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Kak posted:

EQ Reborn is a fairly new server that is basically the same as p99 except some more quality of life stuff like compass, map, faster health/mana regen and a choice of the newer char models. I have a level 5 guy in misty thicket and had a full group last night.

Ah, hell. You can’t tempt me to go back into lguk and farm for a manastone & guise.

I think...

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Frog Act posted:

Lord I'd love a functioning version of Vanguard with all the nonsense features like diplomacy and boats properly implemented. In the meantime I am going to reinstall p1999 and see if there are more groups for my Shaman, as I lucked into some extremely dope equipment that is kinda going to waste.

I missed out of Vanguard when it was initially released. I definitely remember following it pre-release, and would enjoy playing some pserver of it eventually just to see what it was about.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Byolante posted:

Let me explain why 90% of the player base paying so 10% can have nice things is good

This is not what that post says.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Byolante posted:

Its glorifying designing content in such a way that most of the people playing it will never get to see it.

Naw it’s saying that being one of the turbo nerds able to hit max endgame content, and getting cool looking gear from extremely exclusive content to show off because ‘hey i did this thing’ is a cool bonus to having the time to throw away into an otherwise pointless pixel grind. MMOs are literally Barbie dress up timesinks, glorified or not there is exclusive grind wall locked content in every single MMO as the actual game design philosophy. Saying 90% of the players pay for 10% to do content is misleading, since everyone pays the same outside of time they invest into the bullshit.

E: also if this is a casual vs hardcore argument, I’ll remind you this is the Pantheon thread, of all places. This IS a vaporware designed for the hardcore audience, by design.

soy posted:

exactly this

everquest was great because it was a solid fun game, and a good percentage of people who played never got to see a good chunk of the content despite wanting to because they couldn't get organized to do it... so if you did it actually felt pretty rewarding. Not just endgame content either, like tons of people never even made it halfway to 60.

equality of outcome is not a good thing

Yeah, see I agree with this. I remember playing vanilla EQ or WoW and seeing someone run by with some awesome gear, and wondering where it came from. It gave goals to hit, and it felt really loving good to eventually idle in Ironforge wearing that elusive gear set you saw someone run by wearing some six months back while leveling.

onesixtwo fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Feb 13, 2019

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Byolante posted:

Its the reason why hardcore mmos fail horribly. Once other games came along and showed the scrubs that they could have fun too and didn't need to just bask in the glory of their superiors they left games that didn't cater to them. The rise of mobas and now BRs specifically speaks to how to properly develop a hardcore title. Create something where all the content is there and accessible be you a negative mmr shitter or a world elite nolifer then have the way you play be the expression of your mastery. 40 man raids or world spawn raid bosses are relics of the precursors to mmos and the only reason they were tolerated at the time is there was nothing better.

This post is just confusing. I'm saying gear earned after doing difficult content is a Good Thing, because it often comes with a unique cosmetic look, and shows the accomplishment off. I don't know what the heck you're trying to say by bringing up other genres that don't at all translate to MMO game design philosophy to justify your point of 'hard optional content providing unique rewards is unfair to the masses,' but i'm not interested in continuing with it. I'll go ahead and have the way I play be the expression of my mastery.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Ehud posted:

Some of us have broke brains.

I just started on a new EQ progression server lol

Same but I agree with the other poster, all the same.

Ps my necro is up to 32 and my Druid is 27!

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Bishop01 posted:

Did you guys watch Cohhs stream? thoughts?

Nope! The hypeman can fleece his followers as much as he likes for Brad, god knows he's been doing it for several years already for this project.

He does maintain a very healthy amount of followers on EQ's TLP servers, and they won't shut up about Pantheon every time you group with one of them. That whole lot is damaged and playing EQ just waiting for the next drip of Pantheon news to grace them.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Freakazoid_ posted:

Coming back to DAoC on a private server, combined with CoH private servers soon becoming a thing, any nostalgia I had for a modern EQ MMO is used up. You missed your chance Brad. The train has passed and you're left holding a bag of empty promises.

Which pserver of DAOC is still hopping? Last I played was on Uthgard I wanna say before re-subbing to live for a month (actually is pretty drat active and true to form ) which now has a pure RvR / BG zone leveling progression baked into it. Pretty cool to roll a character and never have to leave the BGs aside from assigning skill points.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Turns out building a mmo for 6+ years with a small team of mostly inexperienced devs, failing to crowd fund, taking volunteer based work for a period of time (is this still happening?), and being spearheaded by Brad isn’t a recipe for making a good game.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Wow

"I am a monk"

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

frajaq posted:

Besides the game actually being made I really have to wonder about the population of these games if/when they are released, specially something like Camelot Unchained which is mostly focused on PvP.

You know this is a pretty interesting point to me. Back when I originally backed Camelot Unchained, I had much more interest in pvp, organizing 2-3 groups worth of players, and having the run of it to really ruin the other team's time of playing. Seven years later, I'm not at all interested in pvp as the primary driving force behind a MMO anymore.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

DeathSandwich posted:

I mean... Nobody took an enchanter for their brown-hot dps numbers (at least in the early expansions). They took them because of their ability to control a fight and make the dedicated killers that much more killy. They could throw out some damage spells when dealing with single pulls or when soloing (or when paired up with another enchanter / bard who was running crowd control). Charmed pets could tear poo poo up, but they could also be a liability if it broke mid fight or pathing broke and it starts running off in random directions. If an enchanter got in a group and said he wasn't going to cc or debuff because he was a dps chanter, that would be an enchanter not long for that group. At that point you're a third rate wizard with better mana regen, and wizards are already kind of not great if you're use to the era of EQ that Project 99 lives in. Charm becomes a lot more potent a damage tool in the later expansions with dire charm and AAs and the like.

This post is so wrong about basically everything you said re: enchanters.

-charm pet DPS is the best dps, mobs hit harder than players always. NPCs (charm pets) also have WAY more HP than players, so a charm pet can serve as a legit tank in several group setups
-chanters are taken for their pet dps, and CC, but they are all expected to use charm pets these days because it is optimal
-they have like 5 tools to not die to a pet break, and it takes a single button press to prevent it from happening
-dire charm killed enchanter DPS, because it was a hard level limit of what you could charm, and they stopped allowing chanters to charm mobs in future expansions, killing enchanter DPS in later expansions with dire charm, aas, and the like. Dire charm is useful for farming old content, not pop+ content
-they stopped giving enchanters new charm spells, and charm is a level limited spell. Charm pets were too OP and they stopped enchanters from being the class that can do it all.
-no enchanter that knows their class is using the nuke line in regular pulls, their mana is for CC and re-charming. Also, that nuke line has a stun component which means it is a giant taunt button. You stop using that after a handful of casts if you are able to put two and two together.

On raids, enchanter's charm pets (about 4-5 enchanters a given raid, give or take) regularly carry the DPS by doing 30%+ of damage done to any raid target until Luclin / PoP.

onesixtwo fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Jun 21, 2019

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

I mean they could have just done a Shards of Dalaya like project and completed it by now.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

My favorite part is remembering the dev team is a small Christian game studio with nothing but some bible MMO to their credit.

Oh and the volunteer devs / artists that paid thousands of dollars to “help design” the game.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

lol

quote:

Finally, if you had to choose between being able to permanently breathe underwater or levitate in Terminus, what would you choose and why?
A: Oh, my goodness. Do I have to choose? I am a Myr for life and that is the only race I shall ever be. And since they can already breathe underwater, I am going to go ahead and reach to the heavens, I am going to touch that sky. I’ll see it all and feel the sun beating down upon me from above and get a little bit closer to that storm for that up-close look. If I can already breathe with the Myr, then I will levitate. As a side note, R. Kelly’s life choices made this section way less fun to write. A brotha use to believe he could fly. That said, I miss you MJ, you’ll always be my original Magic Mike.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Haha, oh boy is that a rambling mess.

high as balls posted:

Anyway, we have a smarter and more mature community than, say, 1-2 years ago. I really don't mean that as an insult btw. We've also attracted more skeptics. Perhaps they were just lurking before. Perhaps they realize that, sadly, Pantheon is the only game that comes close to what they're looking for. There may have been others... I won't say competition... but others within the bubble which sits within MMOs in general. That bubble, assuming I'm right, that Pantheon is within, tells the public via FB or this site that Pantheon is pretty much defined by our tenets, FAQ, etc. The skeptic is looking at the other indie studios working on MMOs and he or she is trying to rediscover where they want to spend a lot of their time once they have access to the games, or at least most of them.

just, what the gently caress? the skeptics calling us on our bullshit, clearly because i'm high as balls and can see the future, will be the most diehard fans who NEED what we're offering? Sadly.

Man, i miss the old Pantheon thread, the one that Brad posted in back in 2015 or whatever and everyone laughed him off the forums. This kickstarter game experience has been amazing entertainment value.

onesixtwo fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Oct 5, 2019

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

frajaq posted:

let me get this straight, this is the guy a lot of people gave large amounts of money?

yeah but, the vision, ya know?

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Givin posted:

To ensure he actually plays whatever of the game they made, the devs made a class specifically for him. Unlike when he tried shilling Vanguard and it was obvious he never even touched the poo poo and was hype phoneposting on the FoH boards while doing coke off a ladyboys rear end in Thailand.

So many good Brad memes lost to time. Wish we still had the thread where he came here trying to hype Pantheon.

It's still in the archives, I found it a few months back without too much effort but it did take some searching.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3601416 This is the original thread. https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3601416&userid=207941 here are Brad's posts. Then the second thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3744114&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1 after Brad stopped posting / most people knew it was dumpster fire. Now we're here, some four years later, still in pre-alpha.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

lovely loot drops, of course.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Kind of a bummer that this will now be how Pantheon dies. It will be a mercy kill, and no longer a spectacle to laugh at, but instead a sad story of the creator passing away before his ~vision~ could be realized.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Node posted:

Me too. Dude had a lot of faults. But he gave me Everquest, and Vanguard (even though Vanguard was in lovely shape at release) and as far as I'm concerned, no other MMORPG has ever come close to those except UO.

Yeah, real talk. Hell I still play EQ 1 and I’m going to be learning luclin tomorrow.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Hell, id play a Shards of Dalaya TLP if they ever did that, I never played it when it was current but spent enough of my life in EQ to know I would love it. Way more likely than Pantheon releasing, let alone getting to the point of development that a TLP is needed.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Something about the T posing models on the promotional materials that scream nothing but good things.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Ohh, well okay that makes more sense. Totally looked like a bad model render on my phone but that’s definitely not a head sticking out if it on further looks.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Ugh I gave money to Camelot unchained. Forever my Kickstarter shame.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Wow they are actually seeing the SC model and adapting to it. What a loving lol

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

I think I played a swashbuckler in eq2? Whatever the rat race was, also. Game was weird, though I kind of regret not sticking around past the first free month to see what it turned into.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

MH Knights posted:

The only way to win is to not play the game.

There’s a game?

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Dalnir is an awesome zone you just can’t expect to survive it without a solid core group of cc and evac, or you pull to the exit portal on l2, also never, never, NEVER pull the overseer. Doesn’t matter if he’s a green, he’ll destroy your entire group in 12 seconds or less.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Vomik posted:

i think its cool when you have to use other things to mitigate e.g., veeshan's complete heal requiring enchanters to drain her mana

I loved doing single group phinny kills like this. Have a bard and enc drain him and he’s barely a threat to any appropriately geared tank. Loses his nukes entirely when OOM.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

I had a lot of good experiences with guides / GMs back in the day. I was part of a few GM events by pure luck of the draw, and the guides were always fun.

I definitely went through the guide application process as well, but didn't ever get selected for an interview. I was 11 when I started playing though, so it's probably a good thing I didn't get invited to try out for real, I would've definitely broken the rules and gone exploring just as you had.

onesixtwo fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Sep 15, 2021

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Yeah, I really enjoyed their bard dps class. Also the skill tree system was a real cool thing from memory. Kinda funny how quickly the game just evaporated.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

I said come in! posted:

Yep same, I still come across people in Discords or other websites, that believe this is going to be a huge MMORPG and it will release soon somehow and fulfill all of their MMORPG dreams.

It's also all over Everquest TLPs, where they've convinced themselves that they will just be playing EQ until Pantheon comes out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

SweetBro posted:

Pantheon's development may have a lot issues and may very well be problematic. But your take is bad, off-base, and reads like some rant from an armchair expert with no project management experience.

Lol

Also related: how many star citizen space ships do you own?