Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

why is the title so bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i always felt bad for people that loved rangers because man that musta been a drag playing your entire eq career as one.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

hybrids in everquest were 2/3 warrior and 1/3 the respective caster (paladin 1/3 cleric, shadow knight 1/3 necro, ranger 1/3 druid). the problem was rangers were more like 1/3 warrior 1/3 druid 1/3 poo poo.

don't get why they didn't just make them archers with some druid spells - if i was a guy who liked playing rangers that's what i'd want to do. especially for a game that revolved around grouping. i think arrows only crit on non-rooted stationary targets too which is insane.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

MF_James posted:

I bet the alert arrow will be useless just like sentinel was useless in EQ

it was very useful for crashing everyone's computers when you used it near masses of players.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Node posted:

I'll have not one but two mana bars as a Paladin I have to watch over? Boycotting this game.

it sounds cool, as a paladin guy, to me.

Pigbottom posted:

"turned a Composer into a Creative Director and Lead Game Designer."

Yeah, that fills me with confidence.

anyone can be a game designer, it doesn't really take any qualifications.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

blizzard hired the dude who ran their raiding guild in eq to do dungeon design for wow.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

lol i didn't even realize i was talking about jeff kaplan.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

DeathSandwich posted:

Ranger always seems like more of a rogue hybrid than a warrior, with the lower HP than other hybrids and chain armor and whatnot. It's just that what ranger gave up compared to rogue (hide+sneak, backstab) was way way better than what they got for it in exchange (low level bullshit druid spells and not even the good ones). They don't even get spirit of the wolf until what, mid-30s? To top that off, before Velious they ate poo poo on that hybrid xp penalty. They had warrior taunt but a glass jaw to go along with it.

Granted rogues had their own terrible mechanics to deal with (see poison making and how few people actually engage with it in any meaningful manner) but at least they excelled at putting pointy objects in squishy things with even minimal investment.

yeah you're right. it's just weird they hosed it up so bad. it wouldn't have been hard to make em bow and arrow guys.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

it won't exist but it'd be nice if it did it'd be cool to relive those eq days without a server full of everyone with a dozen level 60 characters.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

also most games just go for generic classes. say what you will about pill popper brad mcquaid, he doesn't disappoint on the class design front.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

it blows my mind anyone would play current eq over project 1999 (if you were someone who wanted to play eq that is).

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

they should change the name of the game because it's bad. brad has a thing for bad game names.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

milkman dad posted:

I agree 100% when I hear this name I think Greek warfare and if this is a spiritual successor to eq it should include quest in the name somehow.

yeah the title brings to mind a god of war clone.

vanguard: saga of heroes was bad too but not quite as bad.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

they should call it neverquest.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

lmao 800 bucks to see a bad play.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Ehud posted:

lol no it’s way less advanced than WoW

It’s Everquest 1.5

wow is a less advanced eq.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

someone should make an mmo that's locked in first person.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I said come in! posted:

Meridian 59

Anyways, none of this matters as Pantheon is still like 4 years away at best.

i meant new ya silly goose.

first person was the canon way to play eq.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

those graphics are so boring.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

lol there are mmo guilds with sponsors? gaming is such a loving joke.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Schubalts posted:

Did you just now learn that Esports is a thing?

raiding dungeons is not an esport. there's no other team.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

blizzard is such garbage.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

it should be illegal to play a game like this in third person.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

RagnarokZ posted:

Wow, it just looks crap.

Boring, soulless crap.

i'm guessing they just used poo poo off the unity store cuz why would you choose to have an art style that bland.

vanguard was generic as hell and it still looked better.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

it's too bad brad can't name games and it looks like poo poo. i'd rather it look like old eq than what it looks like.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

hayden. posted:

Agreed, I think old style EQ graphics but with a lot more attention to detail and more props/envrionmental details would be great. Still keeping things low poly though

yeah i'm a fan of low poly and i wish it had its time in the light that 8-bit graphics did.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

it sure does!

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

playing in third person LMAO

Givin posted:

I only want this game to come to be because it will be a fine tomb for all the 40 plus year old spergs who can't let go of their rose colored glasses and understand there is a reason all those old MMO systems were abandoned.

if p99 had the population of my old eq server (same level range so most people were in the lower levels) i'd play the poo poo out of it. it was only tough going back seeing all the bopping leveling zones mostly empty.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Dec 3, 2018

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i only started within the past year. i had read something about a "green" sever where they'd reset everything but didn't see more than a few posts. it was bizarre seeing the ec orc camps always free - i remember /shouting every time i logged in after school to see if they were open and you'd have to wait to get a slot in one of the groups (and northern ro was just totally empty).

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

but i wanna do the ec > north ro > marr like i did back in the day!

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i don't play casters. i'm a manly man.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i wanna be a tree person.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

the big problem with p1999 is everyone's max level and poo poo so the low level zones are dead as hell. only a few classes can solo so it's a huge bummer going to the places i enjoyed and there being one or two others at best.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

when i played a couple months ago the zones i used to level back in the day were dead as hell (the freeport >ec>ro>oasis loop). ec had no groups and ro had literally nobody.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

brad nobody wants any of that poo poo. they want eq with qol changes.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

do we know how much money they've raised? everquest cost the equivalent of ~5 million in today's dollars.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i never expected this game to be what it should be (eq 1.5 or 2.0) but it's weird how these successors put so much unnecessary poo poo in (camelot with the voxel building for keeps and all).

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

eq2 looked like poo poo. like poser models.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

The Ol Spicy Keychain posted:

I don't get it

Why don't you guys just play EQ? Modern EQ graphics look pretty good and graphics are the only thing differentiating Pantheon from EQ.

old eq graphics are better.