Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer

Node posted:

Either way, it was released way too early, and the client was incredibly unstable and had a terrible memory leak. I don't know if they ever fixed it.
here's what happened (from someone who was there)

brad gets let go from SOE because people are tired of his poo poo
by name recognition alone he gets a ton of investor money and poached a ton of SOE devs
gets with micosoft to create an amazing mmo for pc/their next gen game console (xbox og I believe)
spends all the money on booze, drugs, girls, cars
upper management is a total mess of guys who have no idea what they are doing
Devs work 18 hour days+ for years
Microsoft drops them because lol they don't have a functional game after 3 years and a few hundred million
Brad lays everyone off by proxy, didn't even show up to say "we are hosed"
for some reason, Smed decides to help a bro out because brad burned every bridge making this loving stinker
SOE devs are whipped into a frenzy trying to add tools and content and fix game stopping bugs
The end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I thought he wasn't hired? Isn't this the game he started in his garage after a failed KS because so few people trust him with anything anymore?
correct, this is also the game where he used part of the kickstarter money to issue himself back pay lol

I mean there is a huge hilarious history about all this and just how loving bad it's going to be

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Xae posted:

Because WoW.

WoW print(ed/s) money despite having incredibly boring and homogenized classes. So developers figure precise spreadsheet balance of +-1% beats unique and interesting classes.

Except they all usually fail at the spreadsheet part too.
actually it's probably because of game balance and not because wow

or everyone just hates fun or something

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
this was the game that had subscription fees for the last 2+ years, so you can post on the forums for the game

they've been charging people $10 to $25 or more a month for years now lol

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I'd also like to point out almost all of the classes and abilities you guys love were designed with zero brad input and he was surprised people actually liked them because he thought they were all terrible

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
the 22 people who want a niche game like this will all be playing and p happy, I bet

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Jesus Christ, I thought you guys were joking about being interested in this game

it's going to be loving terrible, don't give brad a dime and go play something not made by an idiot manchild who throws tantrums about how his unique class isn't unique enough

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
he's cashing in on your nerd dreams and his name appeal (again)

it hasn't worked real great for garriott or roberts. I mean besides taking your loving money, they real good at that. the games are complete poo poo

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Node is a beautiful and wonderful creature, too good for the lovely world of MMOs

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Node posted:

You're so good to me, I feel like you're the only one that understands :glomp:
come to the warframe paradise, my friend

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
vermintide 2 is loving great, but warframe checks a lot of mmo boxes without actually being an mmo (kinda sorta?)

it was my mmo suboxone after I quit wow, and half a year later it's still p fun

I'd give it a go. there's also some pretty big surprises that I don't want to ruin for you, but I think it's worth trying out

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

DeathSandwich posted:

I liked warframe a lot back in beta when it was a buggy janky mess. When I picked it up in live many patches later it was like a completely different game that I was no longer interested in.

You could say I'm a bad game aficionado.
as many of us are. you're in good company

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Node posted:

Judging by their updates (mostly on Facebook) progress is super slow. A fully playable emulator might never happen, but at least they're trying.
wait are we talking about pantheon or the vanguard private sever

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Let us never forget, my friends.

Aradune posted:

Thanks. The challenge is this: we want to gather feedback, ideas, etc. We have announced quite a bit about the game, but certainly not everything. We're always hesitant to announce something that is not yet set in stone. Part of our responsibility, if we're going to be out here getting the hype going, is that we also manage expectations. I've been guilty myself of announcing game features that then didn't make it into the game (mostly with Vanguard). i wasn't intentionally misleading the public (I've been accused of purposely lying, which is NOT accurate). But I didn't limit my posts about Vanguard to features we KNEW were going to make it in. That we had to ship 6 months early exasberated the situation

So while we are out and about, building hype, we also have this responsibility to keep things real. Features and mechanics we are confident will be in the release, no matter what, we're happy to talk about and have been. But I also want to bring up ideas, mechanics, and functionality that isn't yet set in stone. I just have to be careful about that, and up front when something is not set in stone. The Think Tank on our own site (which officially launches Saturday) is a perfect venue for this. I can post all over the place about stuff we're confident about, that we know we want, that we know will make it in for launch. But when it comes to ideas that need to be fleshed out, ideas that definitely warrant feedback and discussion... well, doing that on our own site and charging people for access to that level of dialog I think is the way to go.

And the other things you can do with the site, like creating guilds early, reserving names, posting your own stories and lore... basically being able to contribute to the creative process and to the building of community early on... this is all stuff we can start doing now. We don't need to wait for beta or release with a lot of this stuff. So people who, with the information available, are confident enough that Pantheon will be the game for them, this offers them a way to get involved early on. Will everyone want to do this? Of course not. That said, we've invited over 100 people into the site already, to help us beta test it, to watch server load, etc. And of these 100 people, the vast majority are signing up for the monthly cost of being super involved in the Think Tank and elsewhere. So there are people out there who want to be involved big time, and that's great.

The main thing is that we can bring up an idea, or they can bring up an idea, and then we can discuss it as it relates to the game we've already described publicly. That means people are talking about features within a context, that context being what Pantheon is really all about. We're not going to get a big discussion going about whether there should be a death penalty or not. People already know there is going to be one, and they want to play an MMO with one. The discussion we get is about specifically how that death penalty should work. This is much more useful than debating on some other board about whether we should have one or not, because that decision has already been made.

On Vanguard:

quote:

You know, as much as I hate having to carefully craft (AKA, lie through my teeth) an answer to "What was Vanguard's biggest failing?" in job interviews, I realized after reading that rather disappointing article how proud I am of it.

Know why? Because I can honestly say with 100% validity: I'm a big reason for Vanguard's failure. Not Brad Mcquaid - not Microsoft. Me. And Guess what? I'm really kind of proud of it.

Brad Mcquaid didn't do poo poo. (News Flash?) He's had an opiate addiction for years now, which only got progressively worse as the project failed. His cumulative face time with sigil designers in the most crucial final years of development? Approx: 15 minutes. And some of the time was spent begging for legitimately acquired narcotics (Or in times of desperation, jacking them from people's desk).

The lead designers didn't do poo poo. (News Flash?) Sigil fired all of their golden-boy, EQ-Genius designers (Save some who would walk away in disgust) who this board once speculated simply "left." It wasn't even secretive. It all happened on the same day.

Sony didn't do poo poo. The extent of sony's help was 2 designers who ended up writing some diplomacy quests in Tanvu and some adventuring quests in Tursh. I think there was an artist that came in 2 days a week or something for about a month also. Thom Terrasas (sp?) is the only Sony employee that ever directly affected the direction of that game.

The only part Sony really played in Vanguard's destiny was to let its life unnaturally and undeserving-ly continue. And apparently, it's simply because they were naive enough to think this project was worth their cash. Hah! Even the staff at sigil was left wondering why the hell Sony would buy us. Dozens of lunch hours were spent trying to figure out why.

"What profitable web of intrigue and mystery was big'ol Smed spinning with this crazy move(????)," we'd often cry

It was pretty shocking (and just lame) to hear John Smedly actually get angry and complain to people after the layoff's that he, "didn't know what he was buying." He even expressed anger at Jeff and Brad for bamboozlin' him. Poor guy. Maybe next time tough-guy Smed decides to spend several million dollars on something he'll expend some brain power figuring out what it is first.

Dave Gilbertson DID do some poo poo. (News Flash!) But this guy? Man, so much stuff I could say about this guy. He was truly unbelievable. Even when you thought his insanely unprofessional antics couldn't get any more outrageous, he'd go and do something like tell everyone they're getting a raise (to keep crunching) and then one by one call people into his office who WERE actually getting raises (but would never actually get them), how much they were going to get (VERY, soon). Unfortunately he would move through desk rows one by one and simply skip over the unlucky ones. It took a whole 5 minutes for the office to see through his brilliantly laid out scheme. He used the same plan for the lay-offs too. Classy huh?

He's literally never played a video game in his life, yet when Brad died off and Dave inherited the position of Vanguard Jesus, he decided he must be the final call on every design decision. I guess if you ride dirt bikes with a gamer god, his genius just wears off on you.

Fortunately, sometime this would result in getting played like a fiddle by whoever happened to be lovingly pulling the strings that day. But more often than not, this just meant people had to go around him to get something in, only without the help of (Place whatever department here) that was necessary for a game feature to actually turn out right. Imagine for a second people at Sigil actually knew how to do something right? (Believe it or not, we did on occasion) this guy would become the bottleneck to prevent that from happening.

If there was a ceremony for the Gamespy award, Dave would be accepting. For the sake of all our future video game consumer habits, let's hope this guy goes back to the only thing he's qualified to do, whatever that might be.

Anyway, enough of my blabbering. The most shocking reality that I don't think anyone really ever understood is that Vanguard was made (exclusively the design staff, I should say) COMPLETELY by amateurs. People who had been hired less than a week with 0 prior experience were tasked with designing entire newbie areas that shipped. People who had never produced a game in their life were asked to fix a 40 million dollar gently caress up. People with no experience were asked to fix the item, diplomacy, ability, content, quest and pretty much every system in the game.

The game that exists now was designed in a single year by people with 0 experience. If that sounds too vague think of it like this: about 1 year from release we had 0 quests in the DB because the tool didn't exist yet. When I decided to split the team there was over 30,000 quest object entries. Yeah, explains a lot doesn't it?

What a huge let down indeed.

Oddly enough, the whole situation was probably a bigger let down to the designers than the consumers. I accepted a position thinking I was going to work with a bunch of experts - Masters of their craft - and really learn the ropes of game design. Instead, my fellow design associates and I were unwittingly tasked with trying to fix a failed video game that had literally been canceled twice before any of us were even hired. So in retrospect, despite everything, I guess I'm still pretty proud of vanguard. Every team member should be proud in spite of a truly pitiful and pathetic waste.
Who was helping Brad get Pantheon off the ground? These guys. Hate gay and trans people and non-believers? So does Brad and his little developer friends!

Former Pantheon Devs posted:

Laurene Wells (Sparkling) – Producer & Lore Master

Ron Wells (Tandarin) – Operations & IT Manager
Some of their thoughts:

quote:

We should not be surprised that the culture of death is killing our most treasured members of society, our children and our grandparents. It permeates every aspect of our culture, even our entertainment and our celebrations. And this is not just about Halloween, and the dance with death that our society engages in every October 31, although it is most evident at this time of year. It is about movies, books, games, even bumper stickers and disaster preparation activists feed on the culture of death with the ever present topic of zombies. Zombies seem to be the devil’s perversion of holy resurrection. He can’t bring people back to life, but he knows that deep down we all crave to experience new life in Christ, so to distract us from the holy resurrection offered by the Lifegiver he dangles this counterfeit resurrection through undead and zombies to obsess over instead. And people fall for it. Even Christians get excited about the idea of a zombie apocalypse, and will spend hours talking about it, scheming survival plans, and sometimes even preparing for such an event. The Bible does describe an apocalypse that we will endure, but it isn’t going to involve zombies, it’s going to involve Jesus returning with a sword and an army of angels to wipe out evil from the face of the Earth once and for all. And all the people who made jokes about “zombie Jesus” are going to find themselves at the wrong end of His sword. It won’t be funny any more. Jesus is the resurrection and the life, and everyone who embraces this culture of death is going to be in for a very uncomfortable surprise.

Laurene Wells posted:

There is hope [to cure homosexuality]. And there is training available for those who want to offer that hope. And for the families of those who are effected by the choices of their loved ones. Look for conferences like this one.

Laurene Wells posted:

Yet ANOTHER hospital kidnapping children for profit. They falsely accuse parents of medical neglect so that they can perform experiments on the children without parental consent to make millions from the pharmaceutical companies that want to run drug trials on them.

Lord Jesus, come quickly! The sorrow of this world is growing too great to bear!
From Brad himself:

quote:

I am a Christian so this probably goes back to me seeing 'Deities and Demigods' and kind of being bummed about that even though I still play [D&D]. It would have made me feel better if they had not used - or rather, had other creatures that weren't demons. So, is this kind of like, "if I'm going to be involved in making games, can a kid play this without being bother by it or his parents saying get away from that evil stuff!"
Luckily he shrugged them off after being able to use their time and effort for free, because holy poo poo were they making life miserable PR wise for him:

quote:

For six months I held the role of Producer on the Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen MMORPG project under the leadership of my friend Brad McQuaid. [..] I had to resign from Pantheon this month because of a conflict with a newly introduced policy against posting religious things of a controversial nature on my personal and public websites. I had to choose God over the game. [...] I am enduring. I am persisting. I am persevering. I have not given up.
On Unity:

Brad McQuaid posted:

Hi Michael. drat straight there are a lot of Unity-store-bought assets. This is 2014, not 1999
On monies:

From the Pantheon site, long, long ago: posted:

Apprentice Developer ($14.95 monthly)
Full Access to the Site. Apprentice Developers are the heart of our community, and held is highest regard.

Add-on: Six months of game time

Add-on: Additional bag slots

1. Create a system that requires people to pay monthly to participate. Why? Sure, to make some cash on the side, but that's not the biggie: the biggie is to weed out those who aren't really serious about having that dialog with us.
[...]
Also, when you have to pay for something, anonymity generally goes out the window. The game developers will know who you are, have your contact info, etc. And while some people will do horrible things in a mob, most will not do horrible things as an individual whose name and info is known by those they would have normally wanted to attack.
[...]
2. It's also hard to really have effective communication if there are just too many people to communicate with.
From Reddit and the horse's mouth

quote:

The money - It's widely agreed upon by all parties that this project took in roughly 145 thousand dollars. A large chunk of that money, 35k, came from a single individual who promised another couple hundred thousand once he cleared it with his trust.

Brad was having personal problems at the time and needed to take a cash advance from the project. He took roughly three months pay in advance which equaled roughly 38% of the funds that were left.

Brad thought the rest of the money would come in, but the trust supervisor declined without even looking into the project. Reason being, he didn't want to be sued if the start up failed. Brad admits that it was a mistake and wishes things worked out differently but the money is spent and there isn't anything he can do. He then went on to express that he was sorry for how it happened and is planning on liquidating personal assets to put the funds back into the project.

The past - Brad sees that many people are clamoring about the money he made before and why he is suddenly broke. He elaborated by saying, yes he made a lot of money with Everquest, but he also lost a great deal of money in the stock market in 2007. He went on to say that he has assets worth money, but no cash to his name.

UPDATE:
To get more specific on some of the details- All of this is from Brad, not my personal opinion
The contracts that were given to the devs were paid. Roughly 85k of the total funds went to paying the contracts. Some money went to the fees involved with starting the company. The founding devs were also given stock in the company. Payment for work didn't begin until Feb 2014.
Brad took 45k as his advance and it was for 5 months of work advance, not 3.
VR is an official corporation.
Some other poo poo

quote:

This is probably for the best, as at a rate of $45,000 USD for three months work McQuaid’s annual salary would have been around $180,000 USD. For development of an MMO that to date had raised a total of $148,000 USD. Something about that budget doesn’t quite work.

Brad McQuaid posted:

I haven't posted much on this, but this more recent rumor that I paid my team 'nothing' needs to be addressed:
1. The original team were absolutely compensated. They were contract workers, and each month they would be assigned tasks and the amount they would receive in compensation was right there, in their contract, as an exhibit. They knew how much money they were going to make for that month.

2. The vast majority of the money we raised via crowdfunding went to the team. I am not going to post dollar amounts in regards to what I or anyone on the team received.

3. We worked on this game from September 2013 until the disagreement re: funds occurred in April, 2014. So the amount in total they received and I received was for 7-8 months of work. There was no '3 month advance'. I compensated myself for that 7-8 months of work and I compensated the team for that 7-8 months of work. They were paid for getting done what was in their contract exhibit and for the work done prior to having any money (pre-crowdfunding).

4. Additionally, the founding members (the majority of the original team) received between 4% and 10% equity each in the company via stock.

I regret that there was a disagreement over who got how much money and that this caused an exodus of much of the original team. That said, the team I've re-built since April is getting even more work done, more quickly. That's not to say the original team didn't work hard -- most of them did -- but most of them also were doing contract work on the side, or even worked a full time position and then worked on Pantheon in the evenings. The majority of the team I've more recently assembled don't need nearly as much money to live off of and therefore most of them put most of the day into Pantheon and not other projects.

Lastly, I'd like to address team composition. The original team were all MMO industry vets. The team I have now, not so much. I have had great success in the past building teams that are a mixture of wise industry vets and hungry newbies. Right now I mostly have newbies, and that is in some ways a disadvantage (and in other ways, an advantage). But the goal right now is to continue development and to fill some additional positions (for example, a CEO would be great). Then, in a few months, re-start the quest for angel investors. Once we have funding, I have a long list of industry vets who have contacted me and let me know they are ready to join VR as soon as I'm able to bring them on as employees. So while we do lack the industry vets right now, that will no longer be the case once we bring in the first round of funding that we need.

From the old FoH forums posted:

Briefly stated (I am in the middle of some work I took home but will elaborate later tonight/tomorrow):

1) If you weren't around back then this may not seem like a big deal on its face but Brad would, constantly (and I do mean constantly) make posts asking our opinions about him leaving his company, asking if we wanted to "team up" to create a game with him, hell there was one time he responded to a rickshaw post (seemingly wasted on something based on how he was writing - I really wish someone had a copy of this particular one) about suicide and how God shelters all from "it". It was weird to say the least.

2) He would just randomly appear on our raids sometimes (and fairly often). In fact, it wasn't only on raids this would happen either. We could be at the vault, on a raid, in a group, fighting mushrooms in lower seb, whatever/wherever, and he would just appear. Often with different armor asking "what do you think? How do I look?" I remember one day I said something like "are you truly that narcissistic that you care what random people whom you stalk think in a video game?" I think it was Alloria with me but, regardless, he didn't show up for days after that and then, after that, is when that whole suicide post took place. I am not saying he was threatening suicide because he wasn't but, at the same time, he was in a way. It's really difficult to put this one into typed words and hopefully someone reads this and recalls it as well. The post was something simple initially where someone made a comment in a joking manner about suicides going to hell (poking fun at religion) and then, all of a sudden, he butts in talking about how "God Shelters all his lost sheep" or some poo poo like that.

3) When Alex decided to take the job at Blizzard. Things were extremely weird at this point in terms of Brad. He would do his random show up crap but the moment Furor appeared (logged in, etc), he would immediately disappear and would send a weird smiley face message. Something like "duty calls, I have a world to create as only I can ". On it's own this would seem like nothing but then some of us started to talk and we all learned this was happening to nearly all the core members. On top of that, (I cannot prove this) I am one of those who firmly believe (it was a big deal back then) that he would make different forum account names to try to find out information on some of us as in real life names, where we lived, etc. There was one particular forum dweller named "RosettaEQ" or RosettaEQ1 (something similar) who (again, we learned this later when we just were randomly talking - myself and other core members) claimed to be a member of the guild long disappeared (bard named Cripps) and asking for information on Furor and a few others as in their phone numbers, etc and "how can we convince him to not join Blizzard as it will kill EQ?" Originally we just thought it was Cripps as he seemed to know everything about him and wanting to assure EQ remains top dog. After some time it became more and more apparent it was Brad based on some PM questions/comments. For example, "Rosetta" constantly talked about how "cool it would be to have a flaming sword" and poo poo like "if Blizzard would take me too, Alex and I would make the best game to ever be created". Finally the nail in the coffin, per say, was when this Rosetta started (after Brad left on his own) bringing up Vanguard constantly and doing "her" best to advertise it at the exact same times that Brad was making forum post after forum post about the same thing. Hell, they even used the same phrases.

That is just a small taste as I have several briefs to take care of but, suffice to say, Brad was weird and acted very obsessed about many things.
And, to sum up:

Brad McQuiad posted:

p.s. We are looking for several positions that will be revealed soon. One of those positions is a CEO. I want to focus on being Chief Creative Officer, involved with design and the overall Vision of the game. I don’t want to run the company day by day if at all possible, bogged down by the business side of things.

Ehud posted:

I'm going to become CEO and immediately fire Brad McQuaid.

TheAgent fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Aug 1, 2018

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
All that hilarity, lost. Like pledge tiers for forum access.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Six AM posted:

Didnt read a word of this insanely long and boring post
I bought that post from the pantheon add-on store

I see you've also purchased some posts from them. thank you for supporting development

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
ehud is cool and good, I don't care if he's excited for this game, we both lived through the previous thread's hilarity. his av is trash though (just like the dolphins)

no one is exposing anything, this isn't 60 minutes so you can stop acting like andy rooney

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

I said come in! posted:

Meridian 59

Anyways, none of this matters as Pantheon is still like 4 years away at best.
They'll probably put a "late beta, no wipes" soft launch on the market before 2020.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Ehud posted:

There simply isn't a large audience for this game in TYOOL 2018.
Yeah, this was going to be a very niche game, much like another crowd-funded darling, Shroud of the Avatar. If they can manage development costs in line with an active playerbase of around 2,000, it might have some longevity in it.

Unfortunately I think the team is looking for another big, breakout hit with tens and tens of thousands of active (and paying) users. I really hope they've tempered not only their own expectations, but the players' expectations as well.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Ehud posted:

but then you don't form ~real relationships~
you can take me out to dinner anytime

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I mean, I love to poo poo on this

but man, those streams just look straight up dated

goddamn

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Frog Act posted:

Call me a milquetoast lover of grognard tropey fantasy, but I think those look pretty fuckin great. I'm excited for this game but the rewards for donations thing has me spooked, I hope it doesn't precipitate a cycle of SOTA/SC style begging/inducing that creates an elite class of dipshit idiot whales at the top of the pyramid
they've been literally selling monthly access for $15 so you can post on the forums

since 2014

plus a whole lot more lol

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
also a presale of monthly and yearly subscriptions

since 2014

lol

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
hello this is your quarterly reminder not to give brad mcquaid or anyone associated with him any money

thanks for your time

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

I said come in! posted:

Yeah, Everquest and Ultima both had garbage playerbases. Everquest was especially bad with super toxic elitist attitudes and community enforced rules of etiquette that only benefited the hardcore no life players.
and then those people got hired on at blizzard

really

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
just a reminder that this game has been in development since late 2012 / 2013 and they still don't even have an alpha yet

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

soy posted:

4206 9696 9696 6969
my fuckin passworrrrddddddddd

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
well this sucks. dude had a lot of personal and professional issues. hope hes at peace now.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Jimlit posted:

It was a mountain of blow wasn't it?
At 51, yeah, I'm guessing it was a drug overdose or a heart condition brought on by his years of heavy drug abuse.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
without brad helming this and securing monies from investors and backers based on his game dev rock star image, funding for this is gone

hope these people enjoyed paying $15/m for the last four years to post on forums and give the devs their invaluable feedback to an mmo that's never even had an alpha

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Groovelord Neato posted:

Wasn't Brad's addiction and thus inability to manage part of the reason Vanguard was shoved out the door half finished?
it was mostly because the higher ups hosed right off with a pile of money, continued to get piles of money, and when the money piles stopped went "oh gently caress we need to actually produce something!!"

it's not unique to game dev or software dev or actually any business

if people give you piles of money without expecting actual results, what the gently caress are you gonna do?

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I'm hearing suicide might not be off the table re: intentional overdose

gently caress dude.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
surprised this limped along for a year after brads death, it was always gonna fail but Brad dying cut its funding to pretty much nothing

people bought in just for him and his cult of personality, nothing else

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
don't forget they've been charging for game time, forums access and additional bag space since 2014 or so

lol

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

FrostyPox posted:

The biggest red flag was McQuaid's involvement tbh. Most of the stuff that was good about EQ was poo poo the devs never intended and then, uh.... Vanguard. You'd have to be a giant sucker to see "Brad McQuaid's new MMO!" and think that it would be anything remotely enjoyable
there was some people here in this very forum defending this garbage and I have no idea why telling straight up facts about this scam hurt their feelings so much

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
lol even if this poo poo wasn't DOA this would make year 7 they've been working on this poo poo with another four to eight years before we even see it "release"

just let it die. stop CPR. let it have some dignity in its final moments

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
can't wait for that money to be gone in less than a year with absofuckinglutely nothing to show for it lol

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
its because the "community" around this game are about on the same level as star citizen or shroud of the avatar

everything about this is terribly mediocre and should have died long ago

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Holy:lol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer