Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

Anyone that gives money willingly to has-beens from the past (Roberts, Garriot, McQuaid etc) deserves what they get. Mostly incomplete garbage games designed to suck the money from as many whales (true believers) as possible. It's like playing the lottery but there aren't even any winners.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

With Brad at the helm I don't think it being unfinished is going to be a concern.

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

Holyshoot posted:

And what makes you think highschoolers and early 20's people won't go at this? As long as the interface isn't circa 2002 you can probably garner in the younger generation with time on their hands.

Because better games exist now so you aren't forced to play that if you want an MMO.

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

Flavahbeast posted:

I think it's different enough from anything else on the market that it could be pretty popular if it it makes it to release and doesn't suck. Vanguard came out a couple weeks after Burning Crusade released and had to compete with Age of Conan and Warhammer Online within the first couple years. If Pantheon comes out in 2020 there probably won't be anything like it on the horizon besides the newest WoW expansion.

I think the biggest challenge will be making a big cool world that isn't a buggy mess. As far as I know the Visionary Realms team is still pretty tiny by mmo standards

It's a generic fantasy hardcore MMO. There really isn't anything unique about it. There's nothing else like it on the market because companies know better than the waste money on it.

Games like UO and EQ only worked because there weren't better alternatives at the time.

Brad doesn't exactly have a reputation for releasing non-buggy mess completed games. If it does eventually get released it will maybe limp along with a few hundred players, especially if they want a subscription model.

Edit: Also a reminder that they tried to use kickstarter for it and barely got over 50% of their 800k goal.

Woolwich Bagnet fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Apr 20, 2018

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

Oh that VR thing is their logo? I thought it was for some dumb virtual reality thing or something.