Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
Yeah that was my take on it, that the fund lumps the money into one big fat pool that it invests in various things and then the payouts from that go back to the investors, minus Axe's big ol' percentage. Once it's in the fund you probably can't single out their money in particular to throw down the toilet even if you wanted to.

I don't think it'll be long before she runs off with the kids and he cuts off all their access to the money and just has their lawyers fight each other forever over it while he sticks them back in one of his fancy houses near Manhattan and gives her an insulting (by rich as gently caress Axe standards) amount of like $5-10k a month for living expenses.

She could actually be an angle for Chuck to play towards taking Axe down eventually too, she has to know where a lot of bodies are buried from when she was supporting him on his career. On the other hand, Wendy basically knows as much or more and isn't helping to slay Axe, so there is that, but Wendy's also so swept up with him that it's hard to take down one without the other even if you come at an angle not related to Ice Juice, and with that going down Chuck's basically poisoned the well on him ever taking on Axe in court since that on top of Wendy working there can be tossed in there as a conflict of interest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

NowonSA posted:

I don't think it'll be long before she runs off with the kids.

Doubt it.

I could see the kids turning on Axe on account of him being a terrible dad, which he interprets as an intrigue by Wendy and goes nuclear on her.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I'll double down on the "one or both of the kids does something real hosed up" theory since it occurred to me that with Axe completely not paying attention to them they'll want to do something that demands his attention, and they'll think (rightly so) that since their dad is insanely rich they can get away with just about anything so I think that will loosen their inhibitions quite a bit.

That also gives an avenue for Axe wanting Wendy to give the kids therapy and Lara will blow up over that, and so on.

I like that Chuck and Wendy seem to spend basically no time with their kids too, it's a real bad parenting palooza on this show.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I don't know if there's going to be any set left now that Malkovich has been added to the scene chewing.

Gonna be fun to see Axe put in hot water when he inevitably loses the money, and bonus points if it's because of a bad tip from the new Treasury Secretary being willing to play the long game to really hurt Axe.

And luckily we get Chuck vs. AG after all because whew was I hoping that was coming, and it's gonna feel real good when Chuck wins even if it's through super shady means.

Sarcastr0
May 29, 2013

WON'T SOMEBODY PLEASE THINK OF THE BILLIONAIRES ?!?!?

NowonSA posted:

I don't know if there's going to be any set left now that Malkovich has been added to the scene chewing.

Gonna be fun to see Axe put in hot water when he inevitably loses the money, and bonus points if it's because of a bad tip from the new Treasury Secretary being willing to play the long game to really hurt Axe.

And luckily we get Chuck vs. AG after all because whew was I hoping that was coming, and it's gonna feel real good when Chuck wins even if it's through super shady means.

A much less subtle ep than usual, setting up two much more direct threats than we've seen before.
Obvious future pressure on Axe is obvious, and the AG's villainy is crossing over into almost cartoonish territory.

I think they know this, and cast heavyweights in both roles that can lighten the ton of bricks by joyful commitment to scenery chewing. That technique only works for a while, though.

I trust the show's commitment to nonobvious takes, so we'll see what twists they have in store from this seemingly overly simplistic new status quo.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

I think Taylor is going to bet big on something as a result of her Quant side hustle and lose the russians money for axe.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Wendy telling Chuck he did the right thing after the dinner tirade was...interesting

She was pretty clearly lying and he didn't even pick up on it

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

D-Pad posted:

I think Taylor is going to bet big on something as a result of her Quant side hustle and lose the russians money for axe.

Nah I think by its nature they have to keep the Quants undercover, so it'd be more using the Quants to make moves that Taylor applies to the $1 billion they're managing. It's possible that after they reveal the Quants' success to Axe it could happen, but I doubt that Axe lets literally anyone make a decision with that money but him since it's his neck on the line, so when he does lose it it's going to be because someone screwed him over and Treasury Sec's my lead suspect there.

EugeneJ posted:

Wendy telling Chuck he did the right thing after the dinner tirade was...interesting

She was pretty clearly lying and he didn't even pick up on it

I certainly got the vibe she was manipulating him, but I didn't pick up on a direct lie. Was the lie that she was going to tell him off if he hadn't? I like this eviler side of her coming out though, she's really starting to feed Chuck's worst impulses in a fun way. I do think that he's going to pick up on the head games she's playing with him at some point and they'll have an intense scene about it eventually, though maybe not for quite awhile.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

NowonSA posted:

I certainly got the vibe she was manipulating him, but I didn't pick up on a direct lie. Was the lie that she was going to tell him off if he hadn't? I like this eviler side of her coming out though, she's really starting to feed Chuck's worst impulses in a fun way. I do think that he's going to pick up on the head games she's playing with him at some point and they'll have an intense scene about it eventually, though maybe not for quite awhile.

It's almost like she's cosplaying Lara to see what that feels like after Axe's pep-talk about leaving guilt behind

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

This is turning into a real festival of backstabbing. The AG's level of shadiness is way higher than I anticipated, it's going to be wild to see how Chuck manages to take down a guy that rich and connected right from under him.

Edit: I expect him to have made some progress but for the AG to find out Chuck's gunning for him, and for them to be set up to really go after each other at the start of next season.

NowonSA fucked around with this message at 13:03 on May 28, 2018

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I didn't really understand why it was okay to take money from the evil russian guy who threatened to kill you if you lost his money, but not the sloppy guy who was pretty much throwing money at you?

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Oasx posted:

I didn't really understand why it was okay to take money from the evil russian guy who threatened to kill you if you lost his money, but not the sloppy guy who was pretty much throwing money at you?

My question is more how a socially awkward guy without manners or discernible skills somehow manages huge amounts of shady middle eastern uns South American money.

As for the Russian, he respects Axe and is respected himself.

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.

Oasx posted:

The Russian guy was giving Axe money to invest, the sloppy guy was buying an ownership stake in Axe Capital and wanted to see the company's investment strategies.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Taylor :smith:

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Taylor is going to burn axe

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

GaussianCopula posted:

My question is more how a socially awkward guy without manners or discernible skills somehow manages huge amounts of shady middle eastern uns South American money.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
As the creator of last seasons op im glad someone made a new one.

Also im a few episodes behind but generally enjoying it still

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

algebra testes posted:

As the creator of last seasons op im glad someone made a new one.

Also im a few episodes behind but generally enjoying it still

I was not at all willing to put in all your :effort: in my op but I wanted to talk about the show on the forum since I like it quite a bit. As a reminder to you and anyone else just now poking in my policy isn't to have spoiler tags on stuff since the thread doesn't get much traffic, but if you're behind you may want to be cautious bringing the thread up.

A few highpoints this episode that hit a lot of the classics. "Chuck gets his big end-season move idea from a random conversation," "Wags reminds us he's a pervert." "Shapiro gets owned," just fun stuff all around. Great to see Taylor is finally pulling off the inevitable big backstab too. The fact that they made such a big deal out of comp while having already been working on the backstab for what had to have been a month plus, or even further if you consider the start of the Quants project to be part of it, is pretty wild.

I think the season peaked with the episode that featured the astronaut blowing up on the pad or the later one with Chuck and Axe teaming up (I really liked both and I can't pick a favorite between them right now), but things are set up to have some sufficiently major stuff at the end of the season and to start things off fun next season.

Edit: The AG dropping in the term "deep state" was pretty amazing, I've liked all the times they've tied Trump-ish stuff into the season, though there's no topping "Say it loud enough and I might even be President."

NowonSA fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Jun 4, 2018

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet
The ending music choice for the latest episode was inspired.

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW

MiddleOne posted:

Taylor is going to burn axe

I think Taylor is going to gently caress themselves over.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Harry posted:

I think Taylor is going to gently caress themselves over.

Seemingly going all-in on a computer program to predict stocks primarily written by one guy with personality issues doesn't seem like a smart move. I'm sure once Axe finds out her shop is Quant-based he'll try to get some legal stuff going saying the program belongs to him since it started at Axe Cap.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

NowonSA posted:

Seemingly going all-in on a computer program to predict stocks primarily written by one guy with personality issues doesn't seem like a smart move. I'm sure once Axe finds out her shop is Quant-based he'll try to get some legal stuff going saying the program belongs to him since it started at Axe Cap.

That pretty much got telegraphed when he sat down with the Major League guy and bought him breakfast.

Also I was laughing at the Salt Bae opening.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Not sure if I can endure Pied Piper vs. Hooli again

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004
I'm happy to see some Axe vs. Taylor action. I also can't think of any other viable, natural storylines/nemeses for Axe (that wouldn't feel manufactured) at this point in the season. We all knew it was coming anyway. It should be fun.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

That rivalry should be the main thing Axe has to deal with next season, and Chuck vs. AG should be the focus on that side. I'm also hoping that Connerty gets some fresh dirt on Chuck and deploy it right when he's about to take down the AG, and Chuck is able to talk his way into convincing Connerty to at least postpone that assault until after the AG is in the ground, and then in that time Chuck gets even dirtier to come up with a way to stop Connerty. Like, at this point I wouldn't be surprised if Chuck sets up Connerty to get straight-up charged with a felony and tossed into jail, sacrificing his last bit of "goodness" in the process.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I can't see Wendy leaving Axe, but I could see Taylor making a play for her if her company takes off

Does that weird place that reminded Taylor of the bathtub actually exist?

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Taylor is going to steal someone, possibly a big fish, from the cap raise and start her own thing. Book it.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

EugeneJ posted:

Yes

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

EugeneJ posted:

I can't see Wendy leaving Axe, but I could see Taylor making a play for her if her company takes off

They've done a good job on this show of using wild places that actually exist as set dressing, and inventing wild billionaire escapades like Axe taking off on a giant Yacht when they want to. I'm pretty impressed that Showtime has been willing to shell out such a budget for the show since you have to pay a ton for the crazy stuff they come up with on any given episode with new speaking line characters in like every episode and new locations, so you have to pay to build sets or location scout and always have a casting director working. Then on top of that you pay for the regular actors, the writers, the music rights, I feel like it adds up to $8 million an episode just as a total guess on my end.

Meanwhile it's hovering at just under a million viewers per episode, so while it's got some prestige to it probably it's not exactly making them rich, though ratings should matter much less for premium channels like Showtime.

I'm just glad they keep renewing it and I get to keep enjoying the #1 scene chewing show on the air right now.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
My philosophy is like yeah... this show cam be dumb but it is a regular paycheck for a couple of great actors that seem to take it seriously so good on them.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

algebra testes posted:

My philosophy is like yeah... this show cam be dumb but it is a regular paycheck for a couple of great actors that seem to take it seriously so good on them.

If you want to keep that feeling going, I really enjoyed the Succession pilot. I especially love that the characters aren't portrayed as puppet masters like on Billions.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Not a bad season finale imo.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Matt Zerella posted:

Not a bad season finale imo.

Yeah, I had some surprises with how Gregor figured in to it, and I was waiting all the way through for Chuck to reveal that he had wanted Connerty and Co. to get involved as a further part of the plan.

Seeing both Chuck and Axe playing from behind and with fewer resources than usual should be a lot of fun (more so in Chuck's case obviously, but Taylor was a resource and I expect Axe will have quite a fight ahead of him, along with losing a lot of capital hurting him). They're already working together at least on planning and being amicable to each other, and the last time we saw that straight-up miracles happened so who the hell knows how it's all going to shake out.

I'm already so, so ready for Chuck to scheme his way to revenge. I'm expecting tons of chips he's accumulated to get cashed in, just a road tour of Chuck visiting people from all kinds of walks of life and being like "I cut your son a nice plea, time to pay up."

Connerty's story should be fun too because I have to believe the AG is still gonna be messing with his cases, and he should be even more outraged and pissed off about it than Chuck was. If the three-headed dragon of Wendy-Chuck-Axe becomes four-headed with Connerty added then hoo boy, there isn't a character in the series that can stand up to that, I wouldn't be surprised if even Gregor could be taken out by all of them working on a plan, and Taylor wouldn't stand a chance.

A fun season and I'm glad the series showed me how devastatingly good it can be when it really wants to be and has the right story to tell, like it did around the middle of the season.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
That would've totally been a fine series finale.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

That would've totally been a fine series finale.

Yeah, actually that wouldn't have been too bad. Chuck's scheming finally failed but he' still got plans, Taylor's free on their own, Axe is down but not out, the three leads sitting around a shared table. You could certainly do worse, but I have hope that they'll know when the end is coming and be able to put something really special together.

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer
I can only presume that Connerty and Oliver don't know about Jeffcoat's Ponzi scheme (because Sacker didn't tell him)? I don't see wunderkid Brian Connerty prioritizing revenge against Chuck over taking down something Madoff-esque.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I feel like whatever Connerty/Oliver/Kate cooked up ends up being a way to get both Chuck and Jeffcoat.

Sarcastr0
May 29, 2013

The ambush of Chuck isn't in character for Connerty or Sacker, nor is it in keeping with the previous scene of the two of them in the bar.

Something else is afoot. Whether it's taking them both down or some larger scheme that Chuck may even know about is unclear.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Sarcastr0 posted:

The ambush of Chuck isn't in character for Connerty or Sacker, nor is it in keeping with the previous scene of the two of them in the bar.

Something else is afoot. Whether it's taking them both down or some larger scheme that Chuck may even know about is unclear.

I really hope next season squashes the puppetmaster trope and just makes it a good old Bobby/Chuck/wendy teamup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarcastr0
May 29, 2013

Matt Zerella posted:

I really hope next season squashes the puppetmaster trope and just makes it a good old Bobby/Chuck/wendy teamup.

Hrm.

I came to this show for the puppetmaster trope. But I have developed a deep and abiding love for the Bobby/Chuck/Wendy sitting at Chuck's table scheming.

And yeah, if this was all a show for the AG I can't think of a good reason for the playacting that won't be silly. So I gotta hope this is some scheme to take them both down and we'll get a sweet flashback to them hashing it out at the bar.

Sacker/Connerty at the bar ain't no Bobby/Chuck/Wendy at the table, but it could be diverting.

• Locked thread