Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dogboy
Jul 21, 2009

hurr
Grimey Drawer
What a great show, certainly one of my top tv shows at the moment. I mean I already squeak delighted at scenes like the bonus money personal talks which noone else seem to even have registered, but the story is so well done and the characters are deep and ambivalent and got just the right actors to do them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

it's sacker/connerty/mason at the bar... new kings killing the old.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
This was a weird season and a bit of a strange finale. Chuck goes from wanting Axe behind bars to the level he's committing crimes, to dropping the whole thing so he can run for Governor, to dropping that so he can go after the AG, to not having a job because he sold out three people who were loyal to him at he start of the season for ultimately nothing.

Axe starts off looking to get out from under the court case, by almost going to jail on an even bigger charge because of the doctor, to framing said Doctor along with the guy who wanted to put him in jail, to getting in bed with a known ruthless crime lord, to splitting from that crime lord and losing a ton of business because he sold out one of his employees to get a jump on a business venture.

Wendy, who was more central in this season but it feels like she actually did less because she wasn't bouncing between Axe and Chuck and instead just guiding both of them to make moves that ultimately lost both of them their power? I'm not really sure what her arc was about in retrospect. She had a cool theme of trying to push both of them to make moves that were a bit ambitious but at the end she got played by Taylor and her pushing Chuck resulted in him losing his job. I guess the only real plot point here is that when Axe and Chuck worked together with her they managed to completely clean up the trial situation with no repercussions...yah?

So we had Axe "win" season one. Chuck "win" season two. Now both of them "lost" season three, presumably leading them to team up for season four. It's such a weird team up though. They don't have a common enemy, and there doesn't seem to be anyway for either one to help the other. I wonder if we'll see a time jump to a point when each of them have a few wheels already in motion.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I was thinking about the end-scene at Chuck's house with Wendy, Axe and Chuck plotting revenge and what they could be saying, and then it dawned on me that Jeffcoat could have planted a wire at Chuck's house when he came over for dinner.

I was also thinking how Axe could get revenge on Taylor, and right now the weakest link is Nerd King rear end in a top hat running the Quant project - if Axe could blackmail him into changing the algorithm so that Taylor's clients lose significant money, they'll come crawling back to Axe. Also Grigor will want to kill Taylor for losing his money, assuming he doesn't figure out Axe was behind it.

Also wonder if Lara will move her money from Axe Capital to Taylor's firm

Lots of directions things could go in - fun show!

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

PaybackJack posted:

This was a weird season and a bit of a strange finale...
Be that as it may, Malkovich was great this episode.
And Paul Giamatti is dramatic even when simply opening a file folder.

I wish I had friends like Taylor, "Here's 500 million dollars to not hang out together anymore."

Dinosaurtrain
Mar 7, 2018

by R. Guyovich
I was doing some googling of Asia Kate Dillon and discovered they're a really good public speaker. Here they are talking to a bunch of stuffed suits at a Bloomberg event.

Asia Kate Dillon on Defining Non-Binary https://www.bloomberg.com/news/videos/2018-05-09/asia-kate-dillon-on-defining-non-binary-video

They are my favorite character in the show. And dollar bill of course.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Dinosaurtrain posted:

I was doing some googling of Asia Kate Dillon and discovered they're a really good public speaker. Here they are talking to a bunch of stuffed suits at a Bloomberg event.

Asia Kate Dillon on Defining Non-Binary https://www.bloomberg.com/news/videos/2018-05-09/asia-kate-dillon-on-defining-non-binary-video

They are my favorite character in the show. And dollar bill of course.

Nice to see them display some emotion. And I can relate so maybe should update and change my forum name to Non-Binary Logic :)

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

jfood posted:

it's sacker/connerty/mason at the bar... new kings killing the old.

It'd make no sense, but Taylor arriving at that bar scene and laying out how they can all take both Chuck and Axe down and get everything they want in the process would be amazing. It'd also rocket Taylor straight up to top puppetmaster status if they were tracking Chuck's crazy poo poo just because they know Chuck's gone after Axe in the past, it's good to keep tabs on the prosecutor's office, etc.

EugeneJ posted:

I was thinking about the end-scene at Chuck's house with Wendy, Axe and Chuck plotting revenge and what they could be saying, and then it dawned on me that Jeffcoat could have planted a wire at Chuck's house when he came over for dinner.

Nope, not thinking big enough, plus I don't buy the AG as that level of operator. You know what's absolutely wired though, probably by Connerty (possibly Sacker too)? The goddamn Cowboy hat that Chuck had in his office, and somehow that wire can work for a long time and they'll get some real dirt on the AG when he shows it off to his brother and tells the story, or something like that.

On the Chuck front I think he finally isn't puppetmastering and just got handed a really bad beatdown. Too many characters' actions have to not make sense for this not to be the case. Connerty needs to be telling him to F off for no reason if he were in on it, which he'd have to be if it was Chuck's plan, Chuck would need to be keeping the plan from Wendy, etc. etc.

I think there will be some of Chuck and Axe working together but the show will once again mostly keep the two leads apart, and instead Chuck will turn to Black Jack Foley for help, possibly playing to his ego with the idea that Foley could help take down an AG and be able to tell that story to all kinds of people to get him to do what they want.

NowonSA fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Jun 15, 2018

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
Chuck, Wendy and Axe working together against the new competition will be great. But so is the new team of Taylor and Grigor. One is a brilliant analyst with no (or repressed) emotions, the other is stone cold, "Who do you want me to kill, you just have to ask".

Dinosaurtrain
Mar 7, 2018

by R. Guyovich
I don't buy that dake, connerty and sacker crossed over the Rubicon to jeffcoat's side. They might have hosed Chuck but they're not evil.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I certainly encourage further discussion, but if anyone wants to try to get in their super hot take that's so hot it concludes the thread, ala the season 2 thread, go for it. I'd toss one out there but I can't think of one.

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW

Dinosaurtrain posted:

I don't buy that dake, connerty and sacker crossed over the Rubicon to jeffcoat's side. They might have hosed Chuck but they're not evil.

Sacker is just toeing the line, Dake I could believe doing it for revenge based on how screwed he got, and Connerty really seemed to have been scarred by Chuck's "noble crusade".

Dinosaurtrain
Mar 7, 2018

by R. Guyovich

Harry posted:

Sacker is just toeing the line, Dake I could believe doing it for revenge based on how screwed he got, and Connerty really seemed to have been scarred by Chuck's "noble crusade".

Connerty ingratiating himself with Jeffcoat makes no sense. This is a guy who could not abide by Rhoades' malfeasance yet finds it within himself to accept Jeffcoat's? There's got to be a longer game here that the writers haven't exposed yet. Dake is a sack of poo poo and I am disappointed the writers made Sacker such a weak character.

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW

Dinosaurtrain posted:

Connerty ingratiating himself with Jeffcoat makes no sense. This is a guy who could not abide by Rhoades' malfeasance yet finds it within himself to accept Jeffcoat's? There's got to be a longer game here that the writers haven't exposed yet. Dake is a sack of poo poo and I am disappointed the writers made Sacker such a weak character.

Jeffcoat has been portrayed as the ultimate villain, but he's really playing softball compared to Chuck. Remember he never squashed the case until all evidence had vanished on Dake and Connerty. Chuck has the back channel dealing to get Axe entrapped, witness tampering, document forging (Sacker), and then proceeds to fire Connerty in a public fashion.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

It's also easy to picture Connerty knowing about how the AG was messing with Chuck's cases (I think Sacker basically told him this at the bar), so I think he asked the AG to give him distance and let him try cases the way he wants to, and take the cases he wants to. Whether the AG will stick to that or not is an open question, and whether Connerty's sense of justice will let him allow a Ponzi scheme to continue at the highest level remains to be seen.

In Chuck's shoes an obvious play to make is to loop Connerty in on all the dirt he has on the AG, maybe tell Sacker to do it so it comes from her instead of him. Those two butting heads could create an opening for him, and even if it doesn't Chuck does still have a sense of justice (bent though it may be) so the AG getting taken down works toward that, alongside how he'd enjoy getting personal revenge. We've already seen he can stomach someone else finishing off his work for him when he handed off the Axelrod case.

We're definitely going to see Chuck and Connerty hang out together again after all this poo poo's gone down though, and it's gonna be such a fun scene. Connerty doesn't get a lot of credit for being a cool character but I really like him and the actor does a fine job of it. Fun fact too: Connerty's actor has #1 billing for the show on the imdb page last I checked, and is the only actor who has been in literally every episode (again, last I checked. I guess Chuck and Axe were each missing from at least one somewhere in there? Hard to picture, but that's what I remember seeing on imdb).

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I want next year's OP to be that hot take and that's it.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Connerty is a bad person because he gets in the way of a main character doing whatever they want (Skyler syndrome).

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Connerty is a bad person because he gets in the way of a main character doing whatever they want (Skyler syndrome).

Anna Gunn is a bad actress and her writing was uneven though, so that's really what killed Skyler. Hank got in the way too and he was beloved. Hell, I thought Skyler's sister was good too and her writing was awful at points as well. Gunn is not good but as we've seen with Better Call Saul, I don't think anyone's going to claim that Vince Gilligan writes female characters particularly well.

After the public humiliation that Connerty got from Chuck; yeah makes total sense that he'd want revenge. I don't think anyone actually hates Connerty or is sending death threats to the actor for what he did.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

algebra testes posted:

I want next year's OP to be that hot take and that's it.

I'll absolutely sign up for this now. I'd make it a Toxx but I don't want to have to fork over money or leave forever just because I forget or someone beats me to the punch.

I'm also glad we reached a new high for Billions posts in a Billions thread, even if something ridiculous like 20% of them are just from me.

NowonSA fucked around with this message at 09:59 on Jun 18, 2018

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
I watched all 3 seasons in the last month. I went in expecting a prestige drama, but what I got was a network 80's prime time soap opera (like Dallas for example). Once I toned down my expectations I was able to enjoy it as it was meant to be.

A few thoughts

- The acting A+.
- My biggest issue with the show it is not as clever as it thinks. Not even close. The writing is not subtle at all.
- I still do not buy divorce of Lara and Axe. They went from ride or die to some bullshit.
- Maybe it is because I binged all 3 seasons, but the whole Axe vs. Chuck really wore me out to be the point I almost stopped watching. The whole lets poison people and risk my whole company/life so I can go 'ha ha I got you' is some cartoon-y poo poo. So I really enjoyed them stepping away from that, and doing what they did in the back half of the season.
- Chuck firing Connerty in the way he did was about the stupidest move a so-called mastermind could make. You know the saying keep your enemies close? You knew in that moment it would bite Chuck in the rear end.
- Taylor and Wags are both amazing.
- Have you ever seen Eastern Promises?
- Wendy is great and Chuck better count his lucky stars.
- I saw a headline a week ago (I was googling an actor) about a Billions character dying. So since that time I thought Taylor was either going to commit suicide or get killed (especially in the last episode). Glad that didn't happen (I am sure now that the article was about season 1).
- Watching our 2 main characters come out on the losing end was great (and pretty obvious it was coming), and should setup for a great season 4. I would like to see Chuck take down Brother Justin (Chuck as AG? I am not sure they would do that given it would take him from NY), but it is really hard to route against Taylor. Also does Chuck not only burn Jeffcoat to the ground, but does he destroy Connerty (again), Sacker, Drake, and Epstein too? Or does he learn and keep his enemies closer?
- Also some of that group going along with a racist AG over Chuck is some what a stretch for me.
- Please lets have a whole season of Axe, Chuck, and Wendy vs. everyone.
- What is up with Lewis' eyebrows?

I don't mean to sound negative, because it is a really fun show. I blame myself for thinking it was going to be on the level as something as Mad Men. Also I think binging a show changes the way you a view a show. It can help it or hurt it. I think in this case it did both.

PaybackJack posted:

I don't think anyone actually hates Connerty or is sending death threats to the actor for what he did.

Oh if Connerty was only played by a woman...you forgot about the misogyny that some love to find an excuse to express. Oh yes I hate Connerty because his only purpose as of now is to play foil to Chuck. I hope that changes, because it is annoying.

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Jul 19, 2018

Dinosaurtrain
Mar 7, 2018

by R. Guyovich
I don't like the way connerty is being written. He was probably one of my favorite characters until the last episode with the crazy jock plot twist.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

PaybackJack posted:

as we've seen with Better Call Saul, I don't think anyone's going to claim that Vince Gilligan writes female characters particularly well.

What's so bad about Kim?

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

less laughter posted:

What's so bad about Kim?

She didn't really have much character beyond "go-getter love interest" in the first couple seasons. I think Seehorn is a good actress and was able to bring the role more likability than it was written as and because of that I think the eventual coupling with her and Jimmy felt earned. It's not an uncommon criticism with male writers in Hollywood, but I find Breaking Bad and BCS both suffer particularly bad from having a lot of females whose character is defined more by their relation to the men in the show.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Thanks for your take on the series so far nate fisher, it was nice to see someone coming at it with fresh eyes.

Thinking about Connery's actions in the last episode I think he's gunning to take out Jock while also screwing Chuck over. I think he's learned from Chuck well enough that he believes he can screw Chuck over now and come back to him for help later when he makes his play to take down the AG. That way Connerty gets Chuck's old job and gets to bring justice to the bad guys as well. That's a meeting I'm really looking forward to, where instead of Chuck trying (and almost always succeeding) at getting someone he screwed over to help him out (as we saw when he got the Buffalo guy to give him dirt on Black Jack, and I'm sure plenty of other times on the show), it'll be Connerty appealing to Chuck's sense of justice, desire for revenge, mutual enemy, etc. to get his help in some way against the AG.

It's been interesting to watch Wendy's slow descent into doing outright bad things for her own benefit, but my prediction for next season is that she does her worst direct action of the series so far while trying to help Chuck. I had been thinking her lowest point would be betraying Axe completely but with where Chuck's at now that's not gonna help him, so now I'm thinking it's going to be some kind of next level psi-op to completely ruin like a whole family for crazy plot reasons, and that she'll basically do it on her own.

Meanwhile I'll just be here counting the days until I can start the season 4 thread with a blisteringly hot take.

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

Dinosaurtrain posted:

I don't like the way connerty is being written. He was probably one of my favorite characters until the last episode with the crazy jock plot twist.

What was crazy about it? Chuck royally hosed over Connerty, and even pushed Kim (a colleague he respected) into his illegal ways. There's only so much someone can take before they put aside their strong sense of justice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
Yay:

https://twitter.com/DEADLINE/status/1029757651133988864

• Locked thread