Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Lazy Bear posted:

Someone else pointed this out in the Youtube comments too, but the squash and stretch to animations in the game is really expressive and brings a lot of life to the movement.

I find it unreasonably amusing that Madeline's duck animation is literally just her shrinking down to half-size.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
I can't remember if it's in the game files or some interview with Matt Makes Games, but something refers to the Part of You as "Badeline" and I haven't been able to call her anything else since.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

I can't remember if it's in the game files or some interview with Matt Makes Games, but something refers to the Part of You as "Badeline" and I haven't been able to call her anything else since.

It's also on the Steam trading cards. She's not referred to as such in game, since you can rename Madeline.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Mar 31, 2018

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

It's a fun little name.

But on the other hand, wouldn't that sort of imply that the main character is mad?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

cant cook creole bream posted:

It's a fun little name.

But on the other hand, wouldn't that sort of imply that the main character is mad?

She is trying to climb a mountain...

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Waltzing Along posted:

She is trying to climb a mountain...

And is already talking to herself.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Lazy Bear posted:

Also, Theo is such a hipster that his textbox is plaid. Jeez.

In fact, everyone has a unique text box! With the exception of Madeline's mother and her ex(?) from the phone calls, anyway. It's a nice touch.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
On top of being a great game, Celeste's "voice acting" is the best I've ever heard in this style. It's rare that a game's able to convey emotion so effectively with wurbles.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

On top of being a great game, Celeste's "voice acting" is the best I've ever heard in this style. It's rare that a game's able to convey emotion so effectively with wurbles.

It's really great, when Maddie starts pouting. It fits the picture so well.
In fact, it's all done so well, that I don't think that actual voice acting would have been an improvement.

Lazy Bear
Feb 1, 2013

Never too lazy to dance with the angels

YOLOOOOOOOO!

Ben Kasack
Dec 27, 2010
This game is cute in art style, a good platformer if that's your thing, and the story is actually rather good in the end. I think the wurbles really convey everyone's feelings, especially Madiline's as she has the most pitch changes.

As I've seen a casual playthrough of the game, I will refrain from speaking about event that have yet to happen, though I am curious as to what's beyond the crystal hearts.

There is one thing I will say that I feel most people will agree on by the end of the LP: Theo is the best, bud, EVER! I will fight anyone who says different.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."

Lazy Bear posted:

Someone else pointed this out in the Youtube comments too, but the squash and stretch to animations in the game is really expressive and brings a lot of life to the movement.

Also Ghost Madeline's frame-break is nifty.

Also, Theo is such a hipster that his textbox is plaid. Jeez.

I didn't point this out in the videos yet, but that stretch and squash is what happens if you press down on the D-Pad / Control Stick. It makes you fall faster and stretches you. It's basically something people do without really thinking about it because it's so intuitive and yet makes absolutely zero physical sense.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost
It's not completely zero physical sense. A narrower shape has less air resistance than a wide one, so will fall faster. It wouldn't happen to the extent we see in the game of course -- it'd probably be completely negligible -- but the reason it feels intuitive is that it is consistent with our understanding of how things fall.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Whybird posted:

It's not completely zero physical sense. A narrower shape has less air resistance than a wide one, so will fall faster. It wouldn't happen to the extent we see in the game of course -- it'd probably be completely negligible -- but the reason it feels intuitive is that it is consistent with our understanding of how things fall.

There you have it. If you're ever falling a great distance and feel like you're not going fast enough, stretch yourself.

Important life lessons in this game. :v:

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

This is a nice and tough game.

Lazy Bear
Feb 1, 2013

cant cook creole bream posted:

There you have it. If you're ever falling a great distance and feel like you're not going fast enough, stretch yourself.

Important life lessons in this game. :v:

I mean, that's how you descend faster when skydiving, you narrow your profile.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

If you want to play Celeste Classic for the Pico 8 you can do so here.

Since I've done a speedrun for every chapter so far let's compare some times, just to give you some perspective of what is possible. Times not mine are from speedrun.com.

Chapter / World Record (2nd April 2018) / My Time from the LP / From my Full Game PB
Forsaken City / 1:03 / 1:30 / 1:34
Old Site / 1:51 / 2:35 / 2:54
Celestial Resort / 5:11 / 7:41 / 8:51

Full Game / 32:24 / --:-- / 56:05

Obviously, we're far from having finished the full game for the LP, although I will be recording a separate full game run to close the LP out and hopefully show as much improvement as I have in my ILs so far.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
That's a great mechanics tutorial!

Also, Oshiro is kind of a mess. You can vaguely understands why he acts the way he does, but his attitude is a bit tiring. Unfortunately that's true for many people with mental imbalances.

One other thing: I would advise against cutting out multiple deaths. The lapse in the otherwise great music makes it kinda obvious, and I doubt you'll die tens of times on the same obstacles in the main game.
Actually nah, I don't want to backseat-LP. If you prefer this, it's cool.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Apr 2, 2018

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Oshiro does a few really important things for the game. Where we see Madeline's struggles from the inside, we see Oshiro's from the outside. He really does need help, but he's not able to admit it to himself or not be a jerk about it when people help him. It's easy to imagine that Madeline has behaved similarly in the past, but we as the audience wouldn't be able to view her past issues objectively (were they presented to us) because she's the viewpoint character.

Theo's advice is also really important here:
  • You need to look after yourself first and foremost. Your own safety is more important than helping others.
  • You can't solve everyones' problems. Some things require expertise that you don't have (at best you can call in an expert in "creepy old dudes").
  • Sometimes people are going to melt down whether you help them or not.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

God drat, you beat Oshiro's chase insultingly fast, that one still trips me up.

Celestial Resort is such a ramp-up for the game, both in difficulty and length. My first time through I beat both the first two chapters in ~20 minutes with 60-80 deaths. Then this level took me one hour with three hundred deaths.

Oddly, the next chapter didn't feel as long to me when playing it, despite it taking me an hour and half with four hundred deaths. Something about this level just dragged the first time through. Maybe I was more used to the longer levels by chapter four. Or maybe I just preferred the mechanics of the next chapter.

Oshiro does a few really important things for the game. Where we see Madeline's struggles from the inside, we see Oshiro's from the outside. He really does need help, but he's not able to admit it to himself or not be a jerk about it when people help him. It's easy to imagine that Madeline has behaved similarly in the past, but we as the audience wouldn't be able to view her past issues objectively (were they presented to us) because she's the viewpoint character.

Theo's advice is also really important here:
  • You need to look after yourself first and foremost. Your own safety is more important than helping others.
  • You can't solve everyones' problems. Some things require expertise that you don't have (at best you can call in an expert in "creepy old dudes").
  • Sometimes people are going to melt down whether you help them or not.

What I found interesting in particular is that Oshiro doesn't seem to make any distinction between Madeline and her reflection. He's mystified why Madeline would be so mean to him after helping him out so much, without seeming to notice that the one who insulted him wasn't even standing in the same part of the room. On top of that, you also see him argue with himself a lot - makes you wonder if he's got his own shadow-self around that Madeline can't see.

Oshiro looks to me like an example of someone who failed at the quest Madeline is on. He couldn't resolve his own issues when faced with them, and has apparently been quietly resigned to them for decades as a ghost. It's no coincidence that he, unlike the rest of the hotel staff, took the decision not to climb the mountain.

Theo comes across as no stranger to mental issues. On top of having the right approach to Oshiro, I noticed his response when taking a selfie in the previous chapter - when Madeline said she wasn't photogenic he managed to give an affirming response without doubting her judgement. That was pretty clever. He's kind of the mentor character in this Hero's Journey.

Tenebrais fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Apr 2, 2018

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I was expecting Oshiro's skeleton to be in the bed of the presidential suite. I suppose I should be a little relieved.

Lazy Bear
Feb 1, 2013

Glazius posted:

I was expecting Oshiro's skeleton to be in the bed of the presidential suite. I suppose I should be a little relieved.

When I first saw this game(CJacobs was streaming it) I'd predicted Oshiro's corpse would be hanging from the ceiling. Glad to know I'm not alone in the morbid predictions.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Man, I wish you two were right. I couldn't stand Oshiro.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Waltzing Along posted:

Man, I wish you two were right. I couldn't stand Oshiro.

He's emotionally manipulative, clinging desperately to a charade that he has his life together, pretending he doesn't need help when it's offered, and prone to blowing up at you when you confront him with the truth. These are not generally traits of likeable people.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Oshiro is pitiable.

Lazy Bear
Feb 1, 2013

He's emotionally manipulative, clinging desperately to a charade that he has his life together, pretending he doesn't need help when it's offered, and prone to blowing up at you when you confront him with the truth. These are not generally traits of likeable people.

Show of hands: Who immediately thought of someone in their lives?

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
Is Madeline's shadow actually a real entity or is it just the manifistation of madeline lashing out? Seeing as the last time we saw it, it was inside of a dream world I can't really say for sure.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Tombot posted:

Is Madeline's shadow actually a real entity or is it just the manifistation of madeline lashing out? Seeing as the last time we saw it, it was inside of a dream world I can't really say for sure.

Well, she managed to smash a hole in the ceiling.

Chapter 2 was a dream - albeit a dream where Madeline found places she hadn't seen in real life yet - but chapter 3 is some straight up magic. There's an actual ghost haunting a hotel covered in dangerous blobs of manifest grief. Madeline's reflection breaking out of a mirror and loving with things fits right in.

The mountain will show you things. Things you might not be ready to see.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

Tenebrais posted:

The mountain will show you things. Things you might not be ready to see.
I'm glad you said it this way, because I never put much thought to these lines from the prologue...

But yeah, at this point it should be apparent that this is no ordinary mountain. Or at least it might not be accurate to the real life Mount Celeste. Surprise.

Lazy Bear
Feb 1, 2013

I mean... Maybe bring some peyote along on the climb, it might be?

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

After watching your second video, I was intrigued enough to buy this game (against my better judgment, I think). That level really is incredibly fun, and I enjoyed it a lot; something about those dream blocks really does just feel good to play. And I love the way it's written, using a dream sequence as an excuse to have more surreal game mechanics like those blocks and being pursued by your own shadow before returning to normal gameplay.

On the other hand, after that it's back to being a painful slog. (The contrast between that level and the next is really stark - the dream blocks are a mobility aid gimmick which gives you a sense of freedom, and then the next level's gimmicks are all forms of restrictive deathtrap.) I'm really enjoying the aesthetic and the writing of this game, I'm just not sure I actually like playing it much and I'm genuinely unsure if I'll be able to complete it. Which is a shame, because I really want to like it! This game is doing so many things right.

It's worth having a bit of a digression to talk about Oshiro, I think - the characterisation is really well done here, and I think it brings out some dynamics a lot of people will be familiar with. Yes, he's pitiable and perhaps understandably so, we can see how he got to where he is and he clearly needs help, but he's also selfish and pushy: he wants Madeline to do something that will boost his own ego (the hotel stay, but also emotional labour), and he's really bad at hearing refusals. Madeline does take pity on him for a while, and keeps trying to let him down gently, but he doesn't listen and keeps trying to change her mind. Once that refusal is finally made sufficiently unequivocal (by the nastier "part of her", which gets fed up with both him and the rest of her for humouring him), he turns violent and attacks her. Obviously, this doesn't just have to be about hotel stays: this is a classic male entitlement narrative that shows up in a variety of contexts, and it's really fascinating to see a game depict it so openly.

dotchan
Feb 28, 2008

I wanna get a Super Saiyan Mohawk when I grow up! :swoon:

Lazy Bear posted:

Show of hands: Who immediately thought of someone in their lives?

*raises hand* It's me. I'm Oshiro. I recognize that I'm not well, but I don't know how to get better, and everybody else doesn't know either, so all of their attempts to help just make me spiral worse and worse until I explode and hurt someone (usually someone I care about).

It makes me feel like a useless piece of poo poo, so right now step 1 of climbing my mountain is being okay with being a useless piece of poo poo. (Step two being ??? and step three being profit, obviously.)

dotchan
Feb 28, 2008

Explopyro posted:

This is a classic male entitlement narrative that shows up in a variety of contexts, and it's really fascinating to see a game depict it so openly.

Imagine for a moment that Otani was a woman. Would you end your assessment of her issues "a classic female entitlement narrative" and what else would you say about the story?

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

Am I the only one who thinks the general presentation of Celeste is a bit like Steven Universe? Now I'm not entirely familiar with that show beyond a few clips that I've seen, but the character design, music and a few of the central themes (minus the lesbian angles) all seem like they came from the same creators. Although I know that's probably coincidental.

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

dotchan posted:

Imagine for a moment that Otani was a woman. Would you end your assessment of her issues "a classic female entitlement narrative" and what else would you say about the story?

No, cause "female entitlement narrative" is not a classic trope. I know you're caught up in your own self loathing, and want to defend yourself and a character you identify with here, but this is not something where the text is on your side. Oshiro's need for validation and his own inability to take no for an answer is absolutely the cause of all his problems, and let's note that it is specifically a woman who cleans up his mess, and then faces his ire. I think he's a very well written, very human character.

dotchan
Feb 28, 2008

Octatonic posted:

No, cause "female entitlement narrative" is not a classic trope.

Henpecked Husband, My Beloved Smother, and The In-Laws From Hell say hello.

Human beings can be hideously lovely to one another no matter what they have between their legs. Sure, biological and social structures might make it easier for some to be shittier than others, but isn't it a little unfair to paint a specific character with a broad brush for belonging to a certain demographic group?

If anything, given that he's given a Japanese-style last name, you can interpret that Oshiro's issues are caused/exacerbated by societal expectations that as a man, he had to be the breadwinner and provider of strength/stability/income for his employees while not exposing any of his own vulnerabilities (because letting outsiders see your private face is super rude), so when hotel and/or his health started to fail, things spiraled out of control and he got crushed by despair.

The woman who cleaned up his mess was a woman with her own problems who was 1) too agreeable to say "no" in a straightforward and firm manner, and 2) subconsciously attempting to use helping him as a form of self therapy and/or self validation. Oshiro tried to bully Theo, too, but he got wise and buggered off. Theo even tried to advise Celeste to do the same, but she was too stubborn to listen to him until the evidence that Oshiro wasn't somebody he could help was staring her right in the face.

Pretty interesting subversion of the classic "beautiful woman moves in with a difficult man convinced she can change him and succeeds in redeeming him with her love" trope if you look at it that way.

But eh, whatever, I'm just an anonymous internet person who's projecting her own need for validation and inability on a fictional character and got tweaked that someone badmouthed my husbando.

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

dotchan posted:

But eh, whatever, I'm just an anonymous internet person who's projecting her own need for validation and inability on a fictional character and got tweaked that someone badmouthed my husbando.

Your analysis is good not awful, particularly with regard to Celeste's own fuckups here, but like get the gently caress over yourself.

Octatonic fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Apr 4, 2018

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Everybody be cool. As intriguing as feminist analysis of Chapter 3 might be, if it's gonna go on like this it's not going to go on at all.

Also let's please not conflate "classic trope" with "TVTropes page".

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Y'all're forgetting the most important thing here, which is that Celeste is the mountain. Madeline is the woman. :toughguy:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

Y'all're forgetting the most important thing here, which is that Celeste is the mountain. Madeline is the woman. :toughguy:

:eng99: yep. Whoops.

• Locked thread