Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Red Mike posted:

Enjoyed the game and the LP so far, but count me as one of the people who thinks the way it represents "healing" like that is really not helpful.

Silver bullets, or thinking that once you have a breakthrough you're mostly done, or that after a breakthrough your progress accelerates, none of these things help with keeping the progress going. This sort of thing isn't healed, it's treated continuously with a good deal of constant effort. The effort doesn't lessen, you just become more used to doing it. But especially after having some success, the important thing is to keep going just as much and not become complacent. However if you try to combine that with a story arc it's a recipe for a frustrating story, so I'm not surprised they did it like this.

I don't know, there's more than one kind of depression. I agree that for a lot of people dealing with it is a constant struggle, and overcoming it doesn't get any easier as time goes on, but that's not true for everyone who suffers.

Celeste resonated with me because it felt a lot like my own experience with depression. In my case my depression was triggered by a combination of external factors and my own outlook on life. I began to recover from it when I started cutting those external factors out and identified through introspection why I was putting myself through that stuff in the first place. I might not have had a conversation with my inner goth like Madeline, but that's not actually too far off, metaphorically, from what turned me around.

My depression's been gone for about 7 years now. It's not like I don't have to put any effort into staying free of it, but now that I know what causes it, it really does take significantly less effort. I can feel when it's close, but I know how to pull out of the spiral, and it's every few years now instead of a constant pressure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
I feel like the mirror temple's music is deliberately riffing on the dungeon themes from A Link to the Past just a little bit. I can't quite put my finger on it, but it reminds me of that game's sound (smooth jazz version excepted).

Maybe I'm seeing something that isn't there, but it'd fit thematically too given that A Link to the Past involves dark dimensions reached through mirrors and rescuing people trapped inside crystals.

EDIT: Oh, and keys and non-linear dungeons?

• Locked thread