Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Keep doing the speed runs, imo. That's fun to watch. You can move them out into their own videos if you don't want them to distract from the main episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

I was inspired by the LP to pick up a copy of the game. I'm really impressed at how they managed to make a game this difficult feel fun to play. I also apparently value those strawberries very highly, based on the amount of time and effort I'm willing to spend collecting some of them.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Iny posted:

Given that the mountain is called out by characters in-game as being dangerous -- but generally doable -- for an amateur mountain climber, and given the presence of characters' occasional reactions to the mountain climbing sequences as if they were dangerous but not otherwise especially strange (the parts that involve overt supernatural elements consistently are, but not the platforming), I like to believe that this is just what mountain climbing entails in this universe.

In Madeline's version of reality, Sherpa guides on Mount Everest are expected to be able to run directly up sheer vertical surfaces for at least ten stories at a time, fling themselves horizontally over fifty meters from a standing start and then land on safe spots the size of a dinner plate, and reliably perform hyperextended-walljumps off of falling rocks no larger than your fist, all while carrying another person on their back. Mortality rates are pretty high, but on the bright side they get to keep all the fruit they collect on their way up, and collectible mountain fruit is remarkably delicious!

The mortality rates are artificially inflated because everyone's dying multiple times.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Glazius posted:

It's nice how at the end of the summit there's something that approaches a legitimate climbing challenge. Verticality has previously been more a question of landing safely, so it's a welcome change of pace to revisit the climbing mechanics they introduced back in the first level.

The best part is going back to the first level and discovering just how much easier it's gotten. As you climb, you learn.

Explopyro posted:

I appreciate you mentioning the criticism that the game makes the resolution look too easy, because I did catch myself thinking that a few times myself, and had been planning to say something about it. I'm not completely sure where my views are on this yet, personally - I think it may depend somewhat on whether you incorporate the player's frustration and work at completing the game into Madeline's struggle as a character, or view them as separate things. But regardless, the resolution ended up ringing a little hollow to me in a way that the game's depiction of the struggle itself didn't. (Some of it might also come from leaning in a bit too hard on the metaphor: people can't actually reconcile with their inner detractor-voices with hugs, for obvious reasons.) I'm not sure, I think I'm still processing it.

I think it works a lot better if you're playing the game than if you're just watching it. Your first playthrough is going to be considerably slower than what's being shown here, and that has the effect of making Madeline's development seem less rushed.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

There's one really nice touch that differentiates the fireballs on this level from the dust bunnies in the Celestial Resort. When you run into one of the dust bunnies, its eyes open wide and it stops until the screen gets refreshed. When you run into one of the fireballs, it gets knocked slightly out of its path, but it then moves back and continues what it was doing before. And the difference makes sense, because the dust bunnies are a manifestation of Mr. Oshiro's thoughts, so they care about or at least notice other people, but the fireballs are part of the mountain and aren't really concerned with what happens to Madeline.

(Also, the Celestial Resort is named such because it's both a heavenly place to stay and on Mt. Celeste. I don't want to admit how long it took me to notice that.)

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

All the remixes are great, and that was a very good thing for me given how much time I spent listening to them.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It actually makes sense that you would tend to die more often at the last part of a room. After all, you get more practice passing the earlier parts.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Explopyro posted:

I've struggled through roughly the first half of Reflection's B-side and I think I might've reached the point where I have to get off this ride. Especially after having watched you do the rest of it and seeing how much more brutal it gets. These have been getting steadily more frustrating and less fun for me and I just can't do it any more. (Amusingly, the room where I stopped is one you said you thought looked more intimidating at first than it actually is, the last one before the Badeline-fog starts appearing. Then again, you say that a lot...)

For me, that was the single toughest room in 6B. The tentacles part is kind of annoying because you have to memorize the screens, but it's not hard, and the Badeline fight is nowhere near as difficult as you think it is when you're watching someone else play it. You have to decide what's fun for you, but if you can make it through this one part, the rest of the level isn't as bad.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

That postcard's a great moment. Clearing 8B for the first time feels like telling the game that you're done with its ridiculous bullshit, and it just smiles and asks if you really thought that was the ridiculous bullshit.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I had nearly 5000 deaths all told clearing the A- and B-sides. When I saw the postcards, I laughed, fired up the first level, basically immediately died, said "yep, I'm done", and put the game down.

I was at 2100 deaths to reach the summit, 3600 to get everything on the A sides, and 8400 to finish the B sides. Now I'm a little over 12000 after finishing the first six C sides. That count is somewhat low because there were a couple points where I had to turn the game speed down, but whatever, I'll take it.

Going back and watching the later B side videos has reminded me that I've done all of this, but now that I'm not in the thick of it, I'm starting to wonder why a little bit. I'm impressed, though--there aren't very many other games that would've gotten me to go this far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Great game, great LP.

• Locked thread