Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dotchan
Feb 28, 2008

I wanna get a Super Saiyan Mohawk when I grow up! :swoon:

Lazy Bear posted:

Show of hands: Who immediately thought of someone in their lives?

*raises hand* It's me. I'm Oshiro. I recognize that I'm not well, but I don't know how to get better, and everybody else doesn't know either, so all of their attempts to help just make me spiral worse and worse until I explode and hurt someone (usually someone I care about).

It makes me feel like a useless piece of poo poo, so right now step 1 of climbing my mountain is being okay with being a useless piece of poo poo. (Step two being ??? and step three being profit, obviously.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dotchan
Feb 28, 2008

Explopyro posted:

This is a classic male entitlement narrative that shows up in a variety of contexts, and it's really fascinating to see a game depict it so openly.

Imagine for a moment that Otani was a woman. Would you end your assessment of her issues "a classic female entitlement narrative" and what else would you say about the story?

dotchan
Feb 28, 2008

Octatonic posted:

No, cause "female entitlement narrative" is not a classic trope.

Henpecked Husband, My Beloved Smother, and The In-Laws From Hell say hello.

Human beings can be hideously lovely to one another no matter what they have between their legs. Sure, biological and social structures might make it easier for some to be shittier than others, but isn't it a little unfair to paint a specific character with a broad brush for belonging to a certain demographic group?

If anything, given that he's given a Japanese-style last name, you can interpret that Oshiro's issues are caused/exacerbated by societal expectations that as a man, he had to be the breadwinner and provider of strength/stability/income for his employees while not exposing any of his own vulnerabilities (because letting outsiders see your private face is super rude), so when hotel and/or his health started to fail, things spiraled out of control and he got crushed by despair.

The woman who cleaned up his mess was a woman with her own problems who was 1) too agreeable to say "no" in a straightforward and firm manner, and 2) subconsciously attempting to use helping him as a form of self therapy and/or self validation. Oshiro tried to bully Theo, too, but he got wise and buggered off. Theo even tried to advise Celeste to do the same, but she was too stubborn to listen to him until the evidence that Oshiro wasn't somebody he could help was staring her right in the face.

Pretty interesting subversion of the classic "beautiful woman moves in with a difficult man convinced she can change him and succeeds in redeeming him with her love" trope if you look at it that way.

But eh, whatever, I'm just an anonymous internet person who's projecting her own need for validation and inability on a fictional character and got tweaked that someone badmouthed my husbando.

dotchan
Feb 28, 2008

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Y'all're forgetting the most important thing here, which is that Celeste is the mountain. Madeline is the woman. :toughguy:

I think Celeste is a cool guy eh, climbs mountains and isn't afraid of anything. :downs:

I also accidentally misnamed Oshiro and I kind of wanna fix it, but since the wrong version was already quoted I have to live with it. :eng99:

dotchan
Feb 28, 2008

You guys see conflict resolution via hugging it out, I see Friendship via Superior Firepower.

• Locked thread